PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I've introduced myself--apologies if I have.

TFarnon
August 3rd, 2020, 06:42 AM
I'm about 6 months new to collecting fountain pens, although I've been using fountain pens off and on since the late 1960s, when they were required in German schools, at least the ones I attended (4th-6th grades). I hadn't used a fountain pen in at least 20 or 30 years, though, when I bought a pack of Zebra disposables on a whim. I liked them, and went digging around in one of my drawers. I found two fountain pens lurking: a Sheaffer (unknown model) and a Waterman Phileas. Both were a little scratched up on the outside, but I bought some sort of fountain pen polish/grit to remedy that when I want to find the time, and they both responded splendidly to a good water soak and rinse on the inside. That got me curious, though, and I went roaming the internet for more information. That was the end of my casual interest.

I've been on a collecting tear ever since. At first, I just randomly bought whatever appealed to me, and I'm still doing that to a large degree. A few directions are starting to take shape, though. I really like Conklin pens (antique and new), Sailor Pens (more new than anything else) and antique pens (over 80 years old). I also like "pretty" pens, which are pink, purple, gold, silver, sparkly, very shiny, glittery, rainbow, iridescent, pearl or pearly. Generally speaking, I prefer longer, slimmer pens. But I don't let that stop me from appreciating other pens, even pens I would never even think of buying myself. Oh. I also like nerdy, techy things like the Monteverde Tool, slide rule pens and things that look or are very mechanical. Obviously I haven't found my ultimate collecting groove yet.

Outside of pens, my interests include my garden, cats (mine and visiting), and science. I work in science, currently in transfusion services. Before I worked in medical laboratory science, I worked in ion channel research doing molecular biology. And before that, I was a Russian translator (my second language) in the Army. There's a pattern here: yes, I'm all over the place.

Morgaine
August 3rd, 2020, 06:47 AM
Hallo and welcome.

jar
August 3rd, 2020, 06:59 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Chrissy
August 3rd, 2020, 07:48 AM
Welcome. :)

guyy
August 3rd, 2020, 08:44 AM
All over the place = interesting.

Good to have you here.

azkid
August 3rd, 2020, 09:07 AM
Welcome! I am a fan of being all over the place :). Sounds like a heck of a nice collection you have going. We have some threads for showing off your pens. We all enjoy pen pics here [emoji16]

Wahl
August 7th, 2020, 08:24 AM
:welcome:

MorrisonR
August 7th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Hello, I am also new here.