PDA

View Full Version : Fountain pen friendly note books in the UK

Paul-H
July 5th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Hi guys

Don't know how well known these note books are, but I found them very fountain pen friendly.

And in the uk they are sold by Tesco and Asda at around £5 for the A5 size.

http://www.nuco-international.com/products/nu-elite/wiro-journal-2

They use a very smooth paper with vertualy zero bleedthrough even when using my wettest pens.

Paul

Tracy Lee
July 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Those have a great look to them, very solid looking like they would travel well in a bag over the course of a day.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

oldstoat
July 6th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'll certainly give them a try. Sainsbury's no longer seem to sell the little black notebooks, which were very good

GordonH
July 22nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Hi guys

Don't know how well known these note books are, but I found them very fountain pen friendly.

They use a very smooth paper with vertualy zero bleedthrough even when using my wettest pens.

Paul

Lyreco market similar notebooks and as a trade/office supplier the prices are very cheap. We get them at work as we have a contract with Lyreco. They are made in Germany. a5 wirebound is part 110.512 The A4 one with rounded corners is 3.336.055

da vinci
July 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
120gsm! They look good.

Zanshin
July 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Hi guys

Paul

I wish I could say I had the same experience as I had high hopes for these Nu: notebooks when I saw them and felt the paper. Nice and smooth and thick. The thickness stopped show through but in all other aspects they disappointed me in that I did get bleedthrough, even with not overly wet pens and the elastic closures fell out within no time at all, literally within about 15 minutes in one case. Possibly a bad batch as I bought three in one go, but I didn't bother trying the third once the second fell apart.

morethanmost
October 12th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The ones I have always used is by: Clairfontaine "Life Unplugged" Age Bag. A6 Lined or Plain. Ideal for FP users......... tough & versatile semi smooth, no feathering or bleed through.

Charles U.K

Pommel
October 12th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I like the German Sigel Conceptum notebooks. Very fountain pen friendly; no feathering at all, and less shadowing than e.g. Moleskine paper.

da vinci
November 14th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I bought an Asda executive writer (black hardback cover like moleskine) a6 size pocket notebook a couple of days ago. Very disappointed compared to the previous "executive" a5 notebooks i have bought in the past. Previously these notebooks have been excellent value for money, with good quality paper.

This one gave Lots of show through and feathering with well behaved nib/ ink combo's. i have given it away :(

DLS
January 14th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I have to agree that for the money these Nu: notebooks are great with no bleed and hardly any show though. The only problem I've found is some ink/nib combinations are prone to feathering.

For the money though I don't think they can be beaten. I certainly haven't found anything else in the UK that match these.

Oh and I've also found them in WH Smith and Rymans now :)