PDA

View Full Version : Eye dropper to C/C conversion

Mesu
July 6th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hello,

I have an ebonite ED which i would like to convert to accept a cartridge/converter.

From what i could gather, a new section should be turned for the above to be possible.

Can the existing section be modified for the same? Please suggest.

Thanks..

AndyT
July 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I think we really need either to see some pictures or know which pen you have. Chances are that a bulb fill arrangement would be an easier conversion with the bonus of greater ink capacity.

cedargirl
July 6th, 2013, 11:08 PM
If the pen as made as an eyedropper, it would not have the nib on the back of the section to pierce (in the case of a cartridge) or hold the converter. I would expect that you would have to replace the section as you mention above.
Would it be worth it? Why not just sell it and replace with a more appropriate pen?

Flounder
July 7th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Though the capillary path wouldn't be ideal without a matching feed (and your existing one would most likely not fit), you could try making up a sleeve for the feed, with an integrated cartridge nipple. My sole experience with this (factory) arrangement was unsatisfactory, as the force required to pierce the cartridge on insertion was enough to push the sleeve out from the front en of the section. See the lower half ("Securing the Section Sleeve") of this blogpost (http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/kaigelu-316-plunger-filler-prepping-for.html) for details.

Mesu
July 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Would it be worth it? Why not just sell it and replace with a more appropriate pen?

The pen has sentimental value and cannot be replaced. Right now, it is not in use due to the leaks and burps.

Wanted to put it into use but dont want to change the pen much.

Mesu
July 7th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Though the capillary path wouldn't be ideal without a matching feed (and your existing one would most likely not fit), you could try making up a sleeve for the feed, with an integrated cartridge nipple. My sole experience with this (factory) arrangement was unsatisfactory, as the force required to pierce the cartridge on insertion was enough to push the sleeve out from the front en of the section. See the lower half ("Securing the Section Sleeve") of this blogpost (http://flounders-mindthots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/kaigelu-316-plunger-filler-prepping-for.html) for details.

The blog is very useful. I will check to see if this option is feasible.

I am planning to use a converter for this pen. So i am hoping that pushing the converter in will be a one-time thing.

Flounder
July 7th, 2013, 11:53 AM

The pen has sentimental value and cannot be replaced. Right now, it is not in use due to the leaks and burps.

Wanted to put it into use but dont want to change the pen much.

If the leaks and burps could be ameliorated, might you prefer that path over attempting a c/c conversion? Especially if the pen has sentimental value.

If so, could you describe the problem? Where are the leaks coming from, for example, the nib? The section threads? I'd echo AndyT here, photos would be a great help. Is this a vintage eyedropper? Perhaps Japanese, going by your handle, and going even further out on a limb, with a shut off feature that may need attention?

I do recall reading of an FPN member in India who modified his basic eyedropper feed to buffer a little better, and of others who reduced the overall capacity, reducing the potential for burping when there is more air in the barrel than ink. I will see if I can find them.

Mesu
July 16th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. The pen is given to me by my grandfather and is in a different city from where i live. I have been trying to get pics all this time. I will post the pics of a similar pen soon.

Mesu
July 16th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Please find my answers inline.

If the leaks and burps could be ameliorated, might you prefer that path over attempting a c/c conversion? Especially if the pen has sentimental value.

That would be awesome. I would like to make minimum possible changes to the pen but should be able to use it everyday.

If so, could you describe the problem? Where are the leaks coming from, for example, the nib? The section threads?

The leaks are coming from the nib. A sudden movement, however small, results in ink in the cap. The leak is not from the threads as i wrote with the pen for sometime with no smudges on my fingers.

I'd echo AndyT here, photos would be a great help.

I am trying with little success. I can post the pics of a similar pen.

Is this a vintage eyedropper?

It is a 35yr old Indian eyedropper.

I do recall reading of an FPN member in India who modified his basic eyedropper feed to buffer a little better, and of others who reduced the overall capacity, reducing the potential for burping when there is more air in the barrel than ink. I will see if I can find them.

Could you please post the link, if you can find it?

Thank you for all the replies.

Flounder
July 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I found the FPN thread on Indian eyedropper feed modding, by Brahmam (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/235999-making-the-eye-dropper-pen-a-little-less-messy/). Interesting read.

Here's the limit-the-capacity (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/237142-how-to-limit-eyedropper-capacity-with-wax/) thread I was thinking of.

I'd also recommend reading this thread (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/247184-eye-dropper-leaking-from-breather-hole-at-the-top-of-the-slit/), the OP had a similar problem, and one of the replies mentions feed clogs as the cause in his.

sdmason
July 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Here is my quick and dirty conversion on a Ranga eyedropper. I drilled the feed hole out to fit a piece of plastic tube that is the same size as the nipple for the convertor and secured with shellac. The capacity is quite small compared to the original but I plan to replace the convertor with a #18 sac in the future. The pen can be returned to use as an eyedropper by simply removing the convertor.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Best regards,
Scott