PDA

View Full Version : Lamy 2000 - Itty Bitty O ring

Annie
July 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I have a Lamy 2000 which has never been right. It was built from a box of junkers and the one thing neglected in the build was the tiny little o ring. Not the chrome coloured one that sits between section and barrel but the one that's right up there at the end of the feed. Does anyone know what size it is? When the plumber was here yesterday, he told me I could rummage through his toolbox but couldn't find one. He asked what size I needed and all I could tell him was 'er...very tiny.'

Enlightenment would be appreciated.

whych
July 7th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Get a box of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180PC-Small-Mini-Rubber-Washer-O-Ring-Seal-Set-Plumbers-Seals-Taps-/121137601042?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item1c345d1a12
You should get enough to last you a while for most of your German pen seal replacement needs.

Annie
July 8th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Oh, lovely. Thanks a lot.

jacksterp
July 8th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Annie - you might want to invest in a digital caliper. They measure the outside and inside of things and can be quite handy for sizing things such as o-rings, sections and such.

whych
July 8th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Don't have a Lamy 2000, but I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V0jZAlelAE
I never saw an O-ring though.

brandonh
July 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
The closest you'll find in a hardware store or plumber's tool chest is probably a 7.8mm (5/16-in) x 1.9mm o-ring.

Here are the measurements of the factory o-ring using my digital calipers.

O-ring outside diameter: 7.8 mm (5/16)
O-ring wall thickness: 1.0 mm
O-ring height: 2.5 mm

By the way, whych, the o-ring is there. I neglected to take it off when I shot the video (distracted by the phone!). You'll see it on the opposite end of the feed when I go to take the nib off.

whych
July 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
@brandonh
You need to measure the feed and not the used o-ring.
It probably started out life as between 6 and 7mm with a 1 to 2mm thickness.