PDA

View Full Version : How does the J Esterbrook flex nibs compare to Noodlers or FPR?

nicw
September 8th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Question: How does the J Esterbrook flex nibs compare to Noodlers or FPR?

Been looking for a cheap flex nib pen and since I already have an Esterbrook figured this might be good but wanted to ask how it compares. :)

Jon Szanto
September 8th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Are you speaking of original,vintage Esterbrook nibs? Most of those are semi-flex at best. If you can’t afford a good full-flex nib, I’d go with FPR.

guyy
September 8th, 2020, 06:14 PM
I have had a couple 9128s and a 9048. The 9128s flex a bit and the 9048 doesn’t seem to at all.

I would look elsewhere.

grainweevil
September 9th, 2020, 04:14 AM
If weight of opinion is desired - Wot they sed. :D

azkid
September 9th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Fun fact, Esterbrook numbered their Renew-point nibs after their dip pen nibs.

The 9048 flexes a tiny bit (I wouldn't even call it medium flex) but nowhere near as well as the very popular and excellent 048 Falcon dip nib (even the stiffer ones without side slits). It requires more pressure and flexes less than my Pilot Falcon (which also isn't as flexy as a 048).

I thought I had a 9128 but can't seem to find it. I have the #128 Elastic Pen; it's aptly named.

grainweevil
September 10th, 2020, 12:40 AM
Which sort of brings us to the inevitable answer to the cheap flex pen question, if slightly disheartening to the tyro, - dip pens.

penwash
September 19th, 2020, 08:15 PM
I have (and had) several Esterbrook flex nibs both 9048 and 9128 or their 2XXX equivalents.

And I remembered one of my 9048 has excellent flex quality but I couldn't find it a few days ago, but it surfaced today, so here's a quick writing sample:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50361694456_153e7d4e3c.jpg

I know that *this* particular 9048 is extra flexy, the other ones I had wasn't as impressive, so this writing sample doesn't invalidate what others' experiences expressed in this thread. All this tells us is that it really depends on the sample that you manage to get a hold of.

In case you're wondering, I didn't press down on the nib with gorilla strength to get those line variations.

I've restored (and used) enough vintage flex nibs to say that this nib is quite comparable to a good one in terms of ease of flex and snapback quality.

It is a bit scratchy (which I will attempt to smooth a bit).

corgicoupe
November 10th, 2020, 05:18 PM
I find my 2048 to be more flexible than my 9048. I also have two 9128 nibs. The one with the 9128 along the length of the nib is noticeably more flexible than the one with 9128 across the nib. However, I mainly use these nibs as plain ol' extra fine nibs.

pajaro
November 10th, 2020, 07:02 PM
I think I have had trouble flexing any of these.

welch
November 28th, 2020, 06:26 PM
My old Estie flex nib seems soft, but nothing like the flexible early-50's German pen (Senator?) I had.

Ole Juul
November 28th, 2020, 07:27 PM
I have an Esterbrook with a 9788 Extra Flexible Medium nib and it feels quite nice. I'm no flex aficionado though. But i will say that my two Noodler's Boston Safety pens with #2 flexible nib feel very hard by comparison. They flex a little, but you have to push very hard to get any line variation.

pajaro
November 28th, 2020, 10:54 PM
I have an Esterbrook with a 9788 Extra Flexible Medium nib and it feels quite nice. I'm no flex aficionado though. But i will say that my two Noodler's Boston Safety pens with #2 flexible nib feel very hard by comparison. They flex a little, but you have to push very hard to get any line variation.

This would be my comment on the Esterbrook Extra Flexible Fine and Extra Flexible Extra Fine I have used. I thought both made nice more or less fine firm nibs. It took enough pressure to flex them that, if they had not been described by Esterbrook as flexible, I would have been afraid to flex them for fear of damaging them. Nice nibs, though, as Esterbrooks usually are.