PDA

View Full Version : 30 Blue Inks Reviewed

caleath
July 7th, 2013, 03:53 PM
After reading this awesome thread over on FPN http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/215593-30-green-inks-reviewed-part-1-introduction-and-swabs/ I have decided to do the same or similar with blue inks.

I have ordered 15 samples from Goulets and I have 5 samples already and own 6 blue inks already. Here is the list of inks I am thinking of using…if you guys have any suggestions of inks you would rather see speak up.

If you notice I only have 26 listed so there is room for 4 more so those will be up to you guys what you want to see compared.

Inks I own

Waterman Serenity Blue
Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher
Noodlers Texas Blue Bonnet
Noodlers 54th Mass
Diamine Midnight
Manuscript Blue

Samples I own

Noodlers Q- Ternity- almost empty
Noodlers Squeteague
Noodlers Baystate Blue
Noodlers Liberty’s Elysium
Lamy Blue- almost empty

Samples on order

Diamine Kingston Blue
Diamine Sargusso Blue
Daimine Saphire Blue
Diamine Presidential Blue
De Atramentis Saphire Blue
De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes
De Atramentis Robert Louis Stevenson
Pilot Iroz. Kon Peki
Pilot Namiki Blue
Rhorer and Klinger Konigsblau
Rhorer and Klinger Salix (iron gall)
Sailor Jentle Blue Black
Sailor Jentle Blue
J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir

I am working out what pens to use…I would like to keep it under 4..its going to be tons of cleaning…I am thinking of using the following

Lamy AL Star…I have 3 nibs for this pen xf,f and broad

Pilot Metropolitan I have medium and a xf

Nemosine Singularity…I have f,m and a 1.1mm stub

I also have a Indian flex pen also

I have other pens but I would like to keep them to cartg-convertor pens for ease of cleaning.

I will probably be duplicating the green ink test pretty closely…no need to fix something that isn’t broken ya know.

I will be using 32# pound HP Laser Jet paper, Rhodia Dot pad and probably some plain copy paper.

Let me know what you guys think. This project will take some time to get done so suggestions will be appreciated.

Cliff

Oh and forgive my spelling ....its the best its going to get.

If you want to reach me other than here with suggestions etc caleath@gmail.com

cedargirl
July 8th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Wow. Fantastic.

How about Noodler's Ottomn Azure and Diamine Asa Blue?

jacksterp
July 8th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I would add Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo and Montblanc Midnight Blue.

Regardless, this is a terrific idea that will be welcomed and appreciated by everyone.

I look forward to it. Thanks!

The Good Captain
July 8th, 2013, 01:37 AM
A good, comprehensive list and all I might add would be Diamine Royal Blue, Midnight and Majestic Blue, perhaps. Can't wait for the results.

AndyT
July 8th, 2013, 04:33 AM
A very public spirited undertaking, thank you. Like the Good Captain, I'd like to see Diamine Majestic Blue.

caleath
July 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions for other inks.

Do you that responded feel the pens I have chose are ok? I do have others ...but I want to keep it easy to clean.

Rollo the Cat
July 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Private Reserve Black Magic Blues, please.

jacksterp
July 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions for other inks.

Do you that responded feel the pens I have chose are ok? I do have others ...but I want to keep it easy to clean.

The pens are fine. Don't bother filling them - just dip them and run them under the faucet, dry them and dip the next ink. You should be good to go.

theolu
July 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Wow, thanks for doing this. I'll definitley be checking back to see your results. Here are some blues I'm interested in that I didnt see on your list: Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, Diamine Denim, J. Herbin Bleu Ocean.

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Putting Aurora Blue in that group would be valuable.

caleath
July 8th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks again for more suggestions...I am not sure how long it will take to get this all done, I did notice on the other thread they did one ink per day, makes some sense to keep it nice and orderly.

caleath
July 10th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Order came in with my samples, I had ordered Noodlers Ottoman Azure , so that one is in for sure....I will order samples of Asa Blue,Iroz Tsuki yo, Diamine Majestic blue, PR Black majic blue, Iroz shin Kai and Diamine Denim next week...I am now over 30 inks and will probably end up with 35.

I haven't been able to locate someone that sells samples of MB ink, so if anyone wans to donate a sample of Midnight Blue let me know.

Testing will start this week and I will be giving updates here for those interested.

Cliff

pencils+pens
July 18th, 2013, 08:04 PM
You might want to use a glass dip pen - cleanup is fast and easy and the results will be consistent.

You might want to include some standards - Sheaffer Skript, Parker Quink and Montblanc. It may be hard to find, especially in a sample, but Levenger Blue Bahama is a nice blue.

caleath
July 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I should have updated my list....

Manuscript Blue
Parker Quink
Waterman Serenity Blue
Lamy Blue
Pelikan Blue
Sheaffer Blue
Aurora Blue
Sailor Jentle Blue
De Atramentis Robert Louis Stevenson
R&K Koningsblau
De Atramentis Saphire Blue
J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire
Pilot Namaki Blue
Private Reserve Black Maj. Blue
Noodlers Texas Blue Bonnet
Pilot Iros. Kon-Peki
Sailor Jentle Sky High
Diamine Asa
Diamine Presidential Blue
Pilot Iros. Tsuki Yo
Diamine Majestic Blue
Noodlers Baystate Blue
Noodlers Liberty's Elysium
Pr DC Supershow Blue
Diamine Kensington Blue
Noodlers Ottoman Azure
Diamine Sargasso Sea
Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher
Noodlers Q-ternity
Diamine Midnight
Pilot Iros. Shin Kai
Diamine Denim
De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes
R&K Sailx
Noodlers 54th Mass
Noodlers Blue Black
R&K Verdigris
R&K Leipziger Schwarz
Sailor Jentle Blue/Black
De Atramentis Fog Grey

Yep its up to 40 inks now

cedargirl
July 20th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Looking forward to it. Thanks so much.

blopplop
August 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
You're so right about how great that ink post was on FPN. Next time I do one of my samplings I'm using that format.

Honey Mustard
August 9th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I have a bunch of blue samples that I've either bought full bottles of or don't care for, and they're just laying around collecting dust. I'd be happy to send them to you if you want additional colors. Just let me know. Great idea!

Mesu
August 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Great idea. Can't wait to see the scans.

caleath
August 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I am still working on this project. It's a lot of work, I will get it done sooner or later.

dobemom
September 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
What an undertaking! Greatly appreciated. I would think with a project of this scope you should take all the time you need. Its a gift to all of us, so thanks in advance.

ac12
December 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM
If you have not started the testing yet, take a look at a Morriset pen/nib.

It is a dip pen with a glass feed. Because the feed is glass, you can see the amount of ink that the nib is holding and when it is going dry. The feed holds the ink so it does not run dry as fast as a dip pen. In fact I normally dip the pen in just part way and can get a whole page of writing. Comparing with the same ink out of a fountain pen, the ink line from the Morriset looks just like a fountain pen ink line, not the extra wet ink line from a glass pen.

To clean the nib, I just swish it in a small cup of water and blot it dry.

Or for even shorter testing, try a fountain pen nib in a nib holder.
You are limited to the ink that the nib can hold in the slit of the nib, then you have to dip again.
This should give you a similar ink line to what you get out of a fountain pen.
That is my next thing to add to my ink testing setup.

sparkinflint
November 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM
completed anytime soon?