PDA

View Full Version : Please Advise For Purchase.

tarheel1
July 9th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I have the chance to get a 146 platinum for 400 and need advise. It is a medium nib but i would rather have a broad ti become a it or stub. Is the box legit? Usually see them with white lining. Said pen is barely used. Is this a good deal?

earthdawn
July 9th, 2013, 01:21 AM
When I was looking for a 146 platinum I found the average for a really nice one was $300 - 325

There was one earlier today that went for $300 on FPN

So is it a good deal... I will say it is a fair deal as finding that damn pen is NOT easy at all. I gave up and got a gold version, BUT I setteled and am happy as I got one with an 18k nib. Much fewer of those seen in the wild as well.

I think you will not have too hard a time, if your willing to wait it out, to find one in just as good condition for less. If you dont want to wait and your itching to pull the trigger I can't say I would not take if I was still looking. What they sell for new is certainly more!

PS.. I am not expert on MB and don't know what boxes they use. Someone else may chime in. BUT the pen looks as legit as it can look.

CS388
July 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Forget the box.

If you want a B nib, go for a B nib, rather than a platinum finish.
As earthdawn says, hold out, one will come along.

You get the finish you want (platinum) with the wrong nib, you'll kick yourself.
I'd put the nib first in my list of choices.

Just thoughts in passing.

Good luck.

tandaina
July 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yup, chase the nib. Everything else is secondary. So if the nib isn't just what you want? Pass, especially at that price. I've seen 146 for less pretty frequently. (Though they may not have been platinum.)

I like mango pudding
July 10th, 2013, 11:11 PM
the box is legit. I have that box. I have an OB nib, but what I really want is a 1.1 to a 1.5 stub on it. Oh well.

chase the nib. I found a Mottishawed 1.0mm nib on a 149 and snapped it up.

tarheel1
July 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM
How different is a broad and medium MB nib? Would the medium have potential as a stub or cursive italic? Talked with Sarj and he said re tipping is an option. Sarj had a broad nib but in Gold and Richard Fernandez had this one.

I like mango pudding
July 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM
How different is a broad and medium MB nib? Would the medium have potential as a stub or cursive italic? Talked with Sarj and he said re tipping is an option. Sarj had a broad nib but in Gold and Richard Fernandez had this one.

I think my 149 was stubbed from a medium and maybe even a fine, as it is only a 1mm stub. My 1.1 TWSBI seems much wider and if you would want to replicate that width, I would think the original nib should come from a B at least.

orfew
July 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
As others have said...nib first.