PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc user interchangeable nibs

carlos.q
July 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am disappointed with my MB 146 as it does not have a screw out nib like my Pelikans that any user can change. However it seems that some vintage MBs do have interchangeable nibs. Could someone identify which vintage MBs have screw out nibs? Are they all interchangeable with each other?:noidea:

CS388
July 10th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I know.

Get yourself a tool and you can whip them out easy. Then you can do all kind of swaps and experiments.
Certain years of nibs and feeds will easily interchange.
Others may require some form of adapting.
Cutting and pasting, sort of stuff.
That's where the the fun starts.

But never expect to get your money back, once you've started out on the road to fun.

Enjoy!

tandaina
July 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM
None of my old MBs have screw out nibs, sorry. I've got a fair selection of 50s era pens. 144, 244, 242, 344, etc. None are user changeable without some tool.

carlos.q
July 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM
None of my old MBs have screw out nibs, sorry. I've got a fair selection of 50s era pens. 144, 244, 242, 344, etc. None are user changeable without some tool.

This is rather disappointing. I have more Pelikan nibs than Pelikan pens and more Esterbrook nibs than Esterbrook pens. I'm sorry to know that I can't get this rather simple feature in a vintage (or new) Montblanc... :(

tandaina
July 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I agree, that's the reason I have more Pelis than MBs and will likely but very few MBs in the future.

I like mango pudding
July 15th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I really don't like the fact that it's one nib, one pen for the MB's. I really wish I could buy and swap nibs out easily like some of the other brands.

jar
July 15th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Easy solution.

Don't buy Montblancs.

carlos.q
July 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Easy solution.

Don't buy Montblancs.

That works for me! :rockon:

carlos.q
August 21st, 2013, 02:31 PM
Update on this thread: I found two videos which show vintage Montblancs (342 and 344) with screw out nib units that do not require any tool for removal. Apparently these are an exception to the general rule:

Montblanc 344

Check out at 4:10 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz0dWqCCewo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Montblanc 342

Check out at 4:55 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hIV7MGmog&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like mango pudding
August 21st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Easy solution.

Don't buy Montblancs.

Is there a No Thanks button to click on? :pound:

Paul-H
August 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
Have you tried to take out the nib on your 146, some do just screw out or even just pull out, I know on my two late model pens a 146 and a 149 the nib, feed and nib collar just unscrew and then the feed and nib are just knocked out like any normal pen. It's oven possible to pull the nib and feel out without unscrewing the nib collar, especially after its been knocked out once and that makes future removals so much easier. Like most things its the first time that's the hardest :cry: then it only gets easier from then on.

Paul

I like mango pudding
August 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM
Have you tried to take out the nib on your 146, some do just screw out or even just pull out, I know on my two late model pens a 146 and a 149 the nib, feed and nib collar just unscrew and then the feed and nib are just knocked out like any normal pen. It's oven possible to pull the nib and feel out without unscrewing the nib collar, especially after its been knocked out once and that makes future removals so much easier. Like most things its the first time that's the hardest :cry: then it only gets easier from then on.

Paul

Yeah, I'd like to do that with my 146 and 149 to facilitate cleaning much better, but I don't want to chance it by breaking anything delicate.

mmahany
August 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Easy solution.

Don't buy Montblancs.

Or don't buy just one :)