PDA

View Full Version : How not to sell a Montblanc on eBay

Paul-H
July 11th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Just watched this one finish at a rather low price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161059743532

A lesson in how not to sell a Montblanc 146.

Zero feedback for the seller

Zero description of the pen

Only one photo of the pen

Talk about making prospective buyers walk away from this one, with a bit of thought he could have got double that selling price.

Paul

gwgtaylor
July 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Around 100£ seems to be a fair price for a nothing special used 146 with no box and no papers. That's about what I paid for mine. Surprised someone bid that much with such a poor photo

I like mango pudding
July 11th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Around 100£ seems to be a fair price for a nothing special used 146 with no box and no papers. That's about what I paid for mine. Surprised someone bid that much with such a poor photo

100£ is below fair market value imho. Average going rate for a 146 is normally double that or more, iirc. you got a really good deal with yours.

talkinghead
July 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM

What does this add to the value of a used, nothing special #146? Just curious

Rick

I like mango pudding
July 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Box and papers further solidifies the authenticity of the pen. I buy and trade high end watches as part of my hobby (Omega, Rolex, Breitling) and ones with boxes and papers sell with a premium. As with watches, pens are highly faked and sold online. Of course, now all the counterfeiters have faked boxes and papers as well.

gwgtaylor
July 12th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Authenticity and providence. Sometimes even condition --ie, a gift that was never used and ends up in an estate sale. No box and no papers--who knows where it came from and how carelessly it was treated.

Paul-H
July 13th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Don';t forget we are talking eBay here where none of that usually matters, so that 146 selling for under £100 was still a surprise and still quite probably just down to the way the seller advertised it. Better pictures showing condition was all it needed really for the seller to probably double to sale price so I stick to what I said in post one buy saying this is how not to sell a Montblanc.

Paul

gwgtaylor
July 13th, 2013, 06:28 AM
I agree that better pics and description always help but still believe its a fair price.

talkinghead
July 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Box and papers further solidifies the authenticity of the pen. I buy and trade high end watches as part of my hobby (Omega, Rolex, Breitling) and ones with boxes and papers sell with a premium. As with watches, pens are highly faked and sold online. Of course, now all the counterfeiters have faked boxes and papers as well.

Authenticity and providence. Sometimes even condition --ie, a gift that was never used and ends up in an estate sale. No box and no papers--who knows where it came from and how carelessly it was treated.

So again, we are talking a USED, nothing special #146 ( no serial# to verify with accompanying papers etc.). So if I could get an old box from one pen, papers from another pen, (both correct for a #146) and bundle that with a USED, nothing special #146, you guys would pay me say, 150GBP versus 100GBP just for the pen?

And again we are NOT talking about an LE or POA, with serials, matching papers, and unique/boxing packaging.

Rick

I like mango pudding
July 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well, speaking of watches, there is a serial number that is recorded on the bill of sale and stamped from the authorized dealer with the manufacturer's stationery paper, listing the date of sale. Those are also perforated with the serial number on them. I have seen this done on Rolex and Panerai watches, where the price of these fetch north of $5,000

gwgtaylor
July 13th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Maybe 120

gwgtaylor
July 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
But only if it all matched--not thrown together. Boxes and papers are key.

talkinghead
July 13th, 2013, 03:49 PM
But only if it all matched--not thrown together. Boxes and papers are key.

But for this series era #146 how would you KNOW it all matched (matched meaning original to the pen?), because I could throw one together easily; case, papers stamped from a boutique (probably even a receipt if you want) and pen and you wouldn't know they weren't all from the same pen.

My point being, and using your terms, for this series #146 , "used, nothing special" I don't believe a box and papers authenticates anything, therefore why pay (or value for that matter) higher?

gwgtaylor
July 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Just a feeling I guess. I like things to be complete

CS388
July 15th, 2013, 03:45 AM
If I was in the market for a used 146, I'd have jumped on this one.

The last thing I want is boxes and papers, just the pen.

Yes, there's some risk involved with the scant description and useless photograph.
But boxes and papers and certificates and receipts wouldn't have helped to eliminate that risk, in this (or any?) instance.

mmahany
July 15th, 2013, 11:03 AM
-It's a monotone 146 which generally brings less money.
-Poor description and pictures
-No box or papers
-Low feedback score
-Unknown condition

The price was fair. Even in a perfect situation with a good description and pictures, that pen might bring $125-140 GBP

While the price was a bit low, it certainly isn't a significant oddity. I bought my mono-toned 146 for around 110GBP in excellent condition from a reputable seller. I probably wouldn't have even paid that munch all things considered.

gwgtaylor
July 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not alone!

talkinghead
July 15th, 2013, 09:16 PM
-It's a monotone 146 which generally brings less money.
-Poor description and pictures
-No box or papers

Here's one of mine.... used, old #146, monotone nib, no box or papers
What's this one worth to you all?

The dang thing even came apart!

hari.......shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :bounce:

mmahany
July 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I'm not alone!
I certainly agree. The box and papers also certainly add value, but as some mentioned it's near impossible to know if they truly came with the pen or not.

In my experience the most replicated pens bring much more when they have the box/paperwork. Usually they're the 164 ballpoint, 163 rollerball, and the 144 fountain pen. There are no known fakes of any piston filling Montblanc pens which makes them a much "safer" bet (strictly in regards to authenticity).

The biggest value to add with a piston-filler Montblanc is when it is sold by a reputable source. I have taken many chances on buying ballpoints/rollerballs from new sellers because it was evident they were received as gifts. I also know how to spot fakes (I've written several articles on the matter too), and my knowledge allows me to take that gamble.

When I buy a piston filler pen from a new member, I will always buy assuming it is broken. That's the biggest chance to take when buying from new sources.

hari.......shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :bounce:

It looks like it may just need some sealant. If the rest of the pen is in good working condition, it might bring $150USD to the right buyer (key word MIGHT). I'd dare to say that $100-125USD would be a more expected value.

I buy many pens in order to grow my collection, but also to fund my collection. I rarely pay premium prices so my estimates are lower than most:

149- Buyer at $250 and below
147- Buyer at $150 and below ($175 if it has the case)
146-Buyer at $160 and below
145- Buyer at $150 and below
144- Buyer at $125 and below

Ballpoints
164- Buyer at $90 and below
161- Buyer at $130 and below

Rollerballs
163-Buyer at $80 and below
162- Buyer at $130 and below

I subtract from those values depending on condition, engravings, and time period
I will occasionally add to those values if the pen is new or near new, includes all documentation, or if it's a rare model

CS388
July 16th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Isn't that odd. I really like the monotone nibs and had imagined they were becoming more sought after - ergo, kept their price well!

Horses for courses, I guess.

Rick: I like your 146. I guess the estimates from other members are correct. FWIW, if you're selling it, I've seen people selling 146 pens (on ebay) piece by piece - and the total amount is over double the above estimate! Saw the same seller selling every piece of his/her 146 individually - even the screw that holds on the cap top. I guess that if that's all you need to fix your pen, you'll pay over the odds for it.
I should know, just paid around £30 for a feeder sleeve, like yours (above).

Re boxes/papers and fakes: I've often been baffled by this. I have seen some very good fakes - one of them was only revealed as a fake by it's stupid serial number. But if people can make fakes this convincing, surely they can fake the boxes and papers with much greater ease?
Heck, even I could probably knock up a fairly convincing box.

Just wondering.
Thanks.

talkinghead
July 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
You guys really don't think my pen is worth more than 100-125 GBP ($150-$190, today's current conversion) ?

I would pay at least 150-175 GBP, maybe even up to 200 GBP myself, without box and papers....

Rick

I like mango pudding
July 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM
You guys really don't think my pen is worth more than 100-125 GBP ($150-$190, today's current conversion) ?

I would pay at least 150-175 GBP, maybe even up to 200 GBP myself, without box and papers....

Rick

With all due respect to previous posters, imho, I believe it is worth more than what they are suggesting. I find it hard to find a 146 for the prices mentioned earlier. Do a search on Montblanc 146 in Ebay for past sales and you'll see the prices much more than 100GBP.

talkinghead
July 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM

So have left this up here for a few more days, hoping someone might tell me why THIS PARTICULAR PEN may be worth spending 200GBP on, at least for some people. Those of you who remember, or are members of other pen boards, Dr. I, (who posts here too) frequently likes to play this game, mainly, to get discussion going and for information/pen history sharing....

Come on guys (and gals), take a good look at the pen....

hari (and I think jar) knows what I'm talking about but apparently hasn't signed in/or seen this thread recently to give his thoughts...

Rick

sloegin
July 20th, 2013, 02:31 PM
The feed?

talkinghead
July 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM
The feed?

Correct!! What can you tell me about it?

sloegin
July 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Ebonite instead of plastic.

talkinghead
July 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Ebonite instead of plastic.

Correct, but not quite complete just yet. What else?

sloegin
July 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Solid instead of split?

talkinghead
July 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Solid instead of split?

Correct again!! Now we are getting there. Solid ebonite feed.

Ok now Penners, those of you who have "used, old, nothing special #146's" of this era, (mid 70's to early 80's); look at your feeds. What type of feed is on YOUR pen?

sloegin
July 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Minutiae can be fun! Do tell them why ebonite is preferred over plastic.

talkinghead
July 20th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Minutiae can be fun! Do tell them why ebonite is preferred over plastic.

Ahhhh....sloegin, now you are straying..... the question is not ebonite versus plastic. (Plenty of threads over on another board concerning that question/debate by the way)

CS388
July 21st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Okay, Rick, I'm game. I have exactly the same pen - except with a split ebonite feed. Other than that I can see no difference?

Having re-read this thread, I feel a mite stingy in agreeing with the earlier estimate and I'm willing to put an extra £50 onto it.
But, that's due to my love of older 146 pens. I still don't see the 'special' attribute of your pen, to drive it into the £200s?

That said, and including the OP in the debate - I've seen similar 146 pens on eBay hitting the sub £100 mark, others in the high £200s, without obvious difference or rationale.
(Some of the Buy It Now pens show good comedy value in their optimism)

Nice pen, though. My everyday carry for many years
Do we have to keep guessing? Or will you tell us what is going on, here?

Thanks

talkinghead
July 21st, 2013, 08:20 AM
What type of feed is on YOUR pen?

Okay, Rick, I'm game. I have exactly the same pen - except with a split ebonite feed. Other than that I can see no difference?

Do we have to keep guessing? Or will you tell us what is going on, here?

Thanks

Tis minutiae, however important minutiae to the collector probably more than to the user.

hari317
July 21st, 2013, 08:36 AM
OK. When the 146 was re-issued in the resin era, the pen featured a case feeder with the square lip, solid ebonite feed(very very few have been seen with this feed on a 146), curved clip and of course the monotone ink view window. Rick's pen is worth much more to the MB collector looking for the early 70s era 146. One can always get lucky on ebay, I have, plenty of times over the years...

There are some indicative pics of the square lipped feeder case and curved clip in this FPN thread:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/201251-146-monotone-nibs-some-pictures/

Hari

talkinghead
July 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Ok last hints.....
Rick

oops hari beat me to it!!...Thanks my friend!!

talkinghead
July 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM
To expand now:

Would we agree, that, a large manufacturing company like Montblanc Gmbh, would, in terms of manufacturing efficiency, machine/mill/make parts of a family of pens to be similar/same, just in different sizes? For example, the #149 and #146? Basically the sam pen, but the #149 being bigger in length, girth, nib size, feed size etc. etc...

If you would agree with the above supposition, then go to FPN, MB Forum, and study the "Dating a #149" pinned topic, all you really need is the chart..you don't have to read the whole thread. Again, one must also agree with the dating chart somewhat, if we are to move along....

So according to the chart, solid ebonite feeds were used, late 1960's to say 1975. And again we are supposizing here, one would assume that the sister pen, if one was made, would have similar/same, design/component aspects, again from strictly a manufucturing efficiency standpoint. So if a 146 was made during this time, we assume then a solid ebonite feed.

According to Jens Rosler in "Collectible Stars", the #146 was reintroduced in 1974, however we have catalogue evidence that it may have been 1973.

So with those two pieces of information.... an old used, nothing special,#146 with square lip feeder case, clear ink window, monotone gold nib (and an 18C nib at that!), with a SOLID EBONITE feed....would have been made when and for how long???

Rick

Freddie
July 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Outstanding educational post and 146 with parisian nib..
I need no stinkin' box or paper..man....

MIKE CHARLIE..

Fred

mmahany
July 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Here is my personal perspective on everything so far:

1.) What is something worth? Ask that question about a pen and you'll get a different answer from every person you ask. I base my estimates off a wide range of prices and the prices I suggest are what a pen would sell for in a short amount of time (usually 1-2 weeks) to the average person.

2.) Certain models bring more money- That is most certainly true of vintage Montblanc pens. We all would love to find that silver ring 149 at an estate sale for $5. Heck, most of us would consider $750 a bargain for one while a modern 149 might bring half of that.

The mono-toned Fine Nib 146 I own has a solid blue ink window and an ebonite fee. While it doesn't have the rounded clip, that's the only difference I can tell between the pen "thetalkinghead" posted and mine. I paid $175 shipped for mine on ebay in near perfect condition. Was it a good deal? From an advanced collector's standpoint, yes. To the average collector, not terribly.

The reasoning behind my price: the rounded clip and ebonite feed are certainly desirable to a collector. However, I would dare to say that I could find one in good used shape on ebay for well under $300 (likely under $200). Could your particular pen bring $200+ to the right person? Sure! Heck, TO THE RIGHT PERSON, it might bring $500. However, sometimes it takes a while for "the right person" to come along.

Here’s a perfect example: when you sell a custom car/truck you rarely get any money back for the extra money you put into it. Let’s say you have a Chevy Silverado (I’m a truck guy) with a 12” lift and 40” tires. You have $20k in aftermarket parts and it’s tastefully done. The average person wouldn’t pay extra money for those parts, but TO THE RIGHT PERSON you might be able to get most (if not all) of that money back. Certain qualities or traits may add value to the right person, but when you account for those things, you’re suddenly selling to a much smaller target market. Simply put, there is a much smaller market that’s willing to pay a premium for those extra things.

The pen was disassembled and the pictures were poor. That decreases the value significantly right there. Many people don’t want to buy a “fixer-upper” which is why my price suggestion was so low.

While the pictures aren’t great, here’s a pen that looks to prove my point. Look at ebay item number: 261212066116
The clip looks to be rounded (although tough to tell), mono-toned nib, solid ink window, and while the feed isn’t pictured, the other indicators I mentioned give strong evidence that it has an ebonite feed. It sold for $193.02 at auction. Disassemble it, and factor in the ebay fees and I bet you make ~$125USD for it after everything is said and done.

My pen collection funds itself for a reason. I buy from people who sell their pens well below market value, and when I get tired of it, I sell it for at or near market value. Does that make me a bad person? I sure hope not, but there is such a wide price variation in the pen world that I can easily do that. I base my price estimations off average market value. You may be able to get much more than that or possibly less. It all depends what someone is willing to pay.

If all of that is more than you care to read: The same pen could sell for $40 or $750 depending on who is buying/selling. I know this first hand having bought a pen on ebay for $46 and then sold it a week later for $770. It was a Montblanc 100th Anniversary Fountain new in the box for those interested. One price was obviously ridiculously low, while the other was slightly on the higher side. The "fair market value" is probably around $700 which is what I would probably tell someone if they asked me how much to sell theirs for.

talkinghead
July 22nd, 2013, 08:21 PM

mmahany,

Thanks for the detailed response! I do detect a slight air of defensiveness on your part though, in your response. It was certainly not my intent to threaten, disparage, or whatever, you or any other poster in anyway and make you feel defensive in anyway. For that I apologize.

My points for posting in this thread....

1) To bring to the forefront that box and papers may add value to certain pens but not to certain others , and that box and papers are not a 100% way to authenticate a pen..

2) I then saw an opportunity to hopefully guide a discussion into some pen history, minutia, nuance of pen collecting and using, and also to possible help people "eye" and carefully dissect an item on Ebay, that might just slip through the cracks, based on poor photographs or poor description. Hence my post then on my particular pen. I even explained a bit later that my purpose was to stir up discussion about the nuance of my pen. I have apparently failed in that regard, as I only got a couple of responses, (sloegin, and CS388). I even admit I got hari to respond to also help stir on the discussion of my particular pen.

These forums use to be a spot for thoughtful discussion on fountain pen use, history, collecting, repair, etc..... FPN's MB forum has deteriorated into a forum of threads, 90% of which have to do with if a pen is fake or not, and if its not a fake, did I get a good deal on it and/or what I can sell it for. You are new here in FP GEEKs, and fairly new (2011?) in FPN so you may not recall/remember/particpated in, but back in the day, we would discuss a pen's history, who has what pen and why you like it or use it, what one's collecting focus is and why, etc. There aren't that many threads like that anymore over there in FPN, so I was hoping to pump some life into this forum in that discussion direction. But apparently that will not be the case. Really, my point was NOT truly what the $$ value was on a particular pen, but to focus on a pen that LOOKED like the run of the mill #146, but in reality wasn't just run of the mill and had some history to it. However in the realm of pen value, mmahany, you seem to be very shrewd and smart and I applaud you for that. You go guy! Who of us isn't out there looking for a deal!?

Finally, just to complete my little "game" concerning my pen, for anyone who is interested. My pen appears to be a first year edition of the reissue of the #146 in MB's line up. The 146 was reintroduced in 1973/74, split ebonite feeds made their appearance around 1975. So a #146 with and 18c monotone gold nib, and SOLID ebonite feed was made in 1973/-1974 and was then only "made" for 1, or at the most 2 years, hence making them less less common, and dare I say rare. My point about asking people what "particular feed was on their #146" of this era was to point out to them was that they probably had a split ebonite feed, and make them think a little bit and say "hmmmm, never really see the solid ebonite feeds on these pens" ( that was the nuance I was hoping people would pick up on, and the one that you, mmahany, have even failed to recognize in your post above , as you keep pointing out simple ebonite feed, making no distinction between solid or split and their time relation in the history of the #146).

That is all, feel free to discuss....:crazy_pilot:

Rick

CS388
July 23rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
Hey, sloegin. You see that? If only you and I respond to a post, it's a failure? Thanks, Rick!

Ha ha, only joking. I get your drift.
Yes, nice informative post. I had no idea the solid ebonite feed had such a small outing on the 146.
Nice pen. Did you seek it out to complete a collection? Or did it fall into your hands fortuitously?

And I'd recommend that all lovers of this older 146 read Hari's thread on FPN, too. Great stuff. Love those monotone nibs!

Thanks.

mmahany
July 23rd, 2013, 09:17 AM

mmahany,

Thanks for the detailed response! I do detect a slight air of defensiveness on your part though, in your response. It was certainly not my intent to threaten, disparage, or whatever, you or any other poster in anyway and make you feel defensive in anyway. For that I apologize.

My points for posting in this thread....

1) To bring to the forefront that box and papers may add value to certain pens but not to certain others , and that box and papers are not a 100% way to authenticate a pen..

2) I then saw an opportunity to hopefully guide a discussion into some pen history, minutia, nuance of pen collecting and using, and also to possible help people "eye" and carefully dissect an item on Ebay, that might just slip through the cracks, based on poor photographs or poor description. Hence my post then on my particular pen. I even explained a bit later that my purpose was to stir up discussion about the nuance of my pen. I have apparently failed in that regard, as I only got a couple of responses, (sloegin, and CS388). I even admit I got hari to respond to also help stir on the discussion of my particular pen.

These forums use to be a spot for thoughtful discussion on fountain pen use, history, collecting, repair, etc..... FPN's MB forum has deteriorated into a forum of threads, 90% of which have to do with if a pen is fake or not, and if its not a fake, did I get a good deal on it and/or what I can sell it for. You are new here in FP GEEKs, and fairly new (2011?) in FPN so you may not recall/remember/particpated in, but back in the day, we would discuss a pen's history, who has what pen and why you like it or use it, what one's collecting focus is and why, etc. There aren't that many threads like that anymore over there in FPN, so I was hoping to pump some life into this forum in that discussion direction. But apparently that will not be the case. Really, my point was NOT truly what the $$ value was on a particular pen, but to focus on a pen that LOOKED like the run of the mill #146, but in reality wasn't just run of the mill and had some history to it. However in the realm of pen value, mmahany, you seem to be very shrewd and smart and I applaud you for that. You go guy! Who of us isn't out there looking for a deal!?

Finally, just to complete my little "game" concerning my pen, for anyone who is interested. My pen appears to be a first year edition of the reissue of the #146 in MB's line up. The 146 was reintroduced in 1973/74, split ebonite feeds made their appearance around 1975. So a #146 with and 18c monotone gold nib, and SOLID ebonite feed was made in 1973/-1974 and was then only "made" for 1, or at the most 2 years, hence making them less less common, and dare I say rare. My point about asking people what "particular feed was on their #146" of this era was to point out to them was that they probably had a split ebonite feed, and make them think a little bit and say "hmmmm, never really see the solid ebonite feeds on these pens" ( that was the nuance I was hoping people would pick up on, and the one that you, mmahany, have even failed to recognize in your post above , as you keep pointing out simple ebonite feed, making no distinction between solid or split and their time relation in the history of the #146).

That is all, feel free to discuss....:crazy_pilot:

Rick
I did not take your post negatively in the least bit. Emotion translates poorly through text so I too apologize if I came off slightly abrasive. I have a very blunt and “to the point” personality and that can be misinterpreted over the internet at times.

1.) As far as the box/papers, I think I also mentioned that in an earlier post. I certainly agree with you. The more commonly replicated pens bring much more money when they are supplemented with a box/paperwork. The piston fillers, vintage, and less replicated pens don’t have much price variation between one with/without a box and documentation.

The only exception to that rule would be a new or near new pen. I sold a 161 bordeaux ballpoint for around 200% over normal used market value because it was in new condition, still had the factory sticker on the pen, and the case was unscathed. That’s a lot of extra money someone was willing to pay for a sticker (essentially). I will say that the pen was in good enough condition to give as a gift so that may have been worth it to the buyer.

2.) I agree that this forum lacks the traffic it deserves, and you are right, most of the threads are about authenticating a pen. Unfortunately, the pen world isn’t evolving at a steady rate so we’re forced to revisit old topics or continue the repetition of deciding if a pen is fake based upon grainy photobucket pictures.

Again, you will find that some of my posts come off less than pleasant. However, I never mean for my posts to come off mean or rude. Lack of emotion sometimes translates to negative emotion over the internet. I will say that I love a good discussion about pretty much anything. I think that’s one of the best ways to learn through the sharing information as well as knowing the information well enough to present it to someone else (if that makes sense?). I love to help people both by nature and through my profession and I always intend to post objectively rather than subjectively when having a discussion like this.

In addition, I do not want to insinuate that I’m a vintage Montblanc guru. The base of my knowledge stems from modern Montblanc pens. I am confident in saying that I know more than most about vintage pens, but even still there are several of you who have a wealth of knowledge far greater than mine.

And yes, I only started collecting in October of 2011. However, in that time I’ve owned close to 200 Montblanc pens, and I’d guess around 400 pens in total. When I get into a hobby, I tend to hit it at full stride which is evident with those numbers.

Penne Stilografiche
August 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Another example of how not to sell a MB on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Writing-instruments-/261271500619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd4feb74b

tenney
August 30th, 2013, 01:32 AM
A single very blurry picture (of three items as here) is definitely not helpful. I also love those postings where they give many pics of the box or case and only one of the pen or nib (and blurry too).

orfew
August 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM
My thanks to all who have participated in this very interesting discussion. As a MB collector I have much to learn.

orfew
August 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Okay, please take a look at the auction below. Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLO-A-PLUME-MONTBLANC-MEISTERSTUCK-146-LE-GRAND-OR-18K-ETUI-FOUNTAIN-PEN-520-/231026658294?pt=FR_YO_Bijoux_Stylos&hash=item35ca430bf6

jar
August 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Okay, please take a look at the auction below. Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLO-A-PLUME-MONTBLANC-MEISTERSTUCK-146-LE-GRAND-OR-18K-ETUI-FOUNTAIN-PEN-520-/231026658294?pt=FR_YO_Bijoux_Stylos&hash=item35ca430bf6

IIRC, yes.

CS388
August 31st, 2013, 12:32 PM
...snip... Here is a 146 with an 18c nib. It is unclear from the photos whether or not it has a solid ebonite feed. My question: is it possible to have an 18c nib with a split ebonite feed on a 70's/80's 146?

Think so?
Is that a specific combo you're looking for?
If I remember Rick's post, the solid ebonite is the rare one?

Otherwise, I'd say that it's a nice 146. At the top of it's money, imho.
Really don't care about the boxes. I'd rather pay less and just get the pen.
They seem to be a luxury items outfit, so a question about feed specifics may fall on deaf ears?

In a connected vein:
I've got a 1970s/1980s spilt-ebonite feed for a 146 - going free, if anybody needs it.
Has damage to one of the fins, but otherwise perfect.
Great feed. Used it for years, but had to swap it out, when a new sleeve was fitted.

Enjoy.

orfew
August 31st, 2013, 09:49 PM
I am actually looking for one with the 18C marking and a solid ebonite feed. I was just unsure form the pictures whether or not this pen has one. If it were the one piece with the 18C nib I just might be tempted.

hari317
September 1st, 2013, 01:19 AM
I am actually looking for one with the 18C marking and a solid ebonite feed. I was just unsure form the pictures whether or not this pen has one. If it were the one piece with the 18C nib I just might be tempted.

the pen has the split ebonite feed.

orfew
September 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM

the pen has the split ebonite feed.
Thanks Hari

Penne Stilografiche
September 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM
21+ bids at $132+ with over 4 hours left for a Blanc Meisterstuck from a seller in Hong Kong w/ 0 feedback. :blink: How stupid can one get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLANC-MEISTERSTUCK-Authentic-Meisterstuck-Gold-Classique-Fountain-pen-145P-W8-/321199176747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4ac8f67c2b

tenney
September 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
And that item says it's both a fountain pen with medium nib AND a rollerball. It's somehow BOTH? Sheesh.

Penne Stilografiche
September 2nd, 2013, 11:56 PM
And that item says it's both a fountain pen with medium nib AND a rollerball. It's somehow BOTH? Sheesh.

In China, they can make anything!:) I cannot believe there are people biding on that pen. As they say, there's a sucker born every minute and two to take him...

mmahany
September 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM

Plus, the third picture is of a 144 or a 163 so there are at least three pens being described in that listing.

Penne Stilografiche
September 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM
This one's painful to look at, a probably fake Montblanc 163 rollerball from Hong Kong sold for $404.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Meisterstuck-Classique-Aristocratic-luxury-Rollerball-Pen-163-W11-/261291196871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3cd62b41c7&nma=true&si=etypW5%252FEzHT7cqzWOEEkobqgQi8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I like mango pudding
September 22nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
I think the last two bidders were shill bids. You can tell by the bidding patterns.

HermetiC
November 7th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Watch this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Vtg-Mont-Blanc-Meisterstuck-146-W-Germany-Fountain-Pen-14kt-4810-USED-/291010953772?_trksid=m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D 12%26pmod%3D380758717690%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D25282 03961435419732

not 146, not bordeaux. At least is a fountain pen.

I like mango pudding
November 7th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Watch this

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Genuine-Vtg-Mont-Blanc-Meisterstuck-146-W-Germany-Fountain-Pen-14kt-4810-USED-/291010953772?_trksid=m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D 12%26pmod%3D380758717690%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D25282 03961435419732

not 146, not bordeaux. At least is a fountain pen.

that's a 144

HermetiC
November 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
that's a 144

That's right