PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan Souveran Inner Barrel Sleeve?

Baisao
October 30th, 2020, 12:20 AM
I've read a comment somewhere that claimed that Pelikan Souveran series pens have barrels made of cellulose acetate with a nonreactive inner sleeve to protect the barrel from the harshness of inks.

Can anyone confirm if they have a non-reactive inner sleeve?

Thank you!

FredRydr
October 30th, 2020, 03:35 AM
I've read a comment somewhere that claimed that Pelikan Souveran series pens have barrels made of cellulose acetate with a nonreactive inner sleeve to protect the barrel from the harshness of inks.

Can anyone confirm if they have a non-reactive inner sleeve?

Thank you!
The Pelikan's Perch (https://thepelikansperch.com/2019/11/11/pelikan-m800-brown-black-review/) quotes 2019 Pelikan company M800 literature that, "The barrel with brown and black stripes is crafted out of is crafted out of high grade cellulose acetate which is then turned into a sleeve."

Ron Z
October 30th, 2020, 08:06 AM
This is a Pelikan 800 barrel minus the striped binde, a full exploded view below that. All of the Sovereign pens are made with the same basic pattern, i.e inner barrel of a transparent material, with a nose piece that the section is glued onto. Only the 800 and 1000 pens have the brass thread bushing. The lower pens have plastic threaded, or snap fit bushings. Rollerball pens start with the same inner barrel, section and binde. They have a cone that screws into the section, a brass sleeve in the barrel, and a different arrangement on the grip knob which eliminates the piston mechanism which is replaced with a spring loaded plug.

I assumed that the material was acrylic because of the way it responds to the same solvents, but it could be cellulose acetate. I haven't tried using the celluloid solvents on the material so can't confirm. It is not completely immune to the effects of weird ink. Speculation on the part of Pelikan service is that some of the dye saturated inks are the reason why the plastic weakens and the nose piece snaps. I would agree that the binde is cellulose acetate. This is a relatively thin sheet fit, rolled into a tube that is then fit on the barrel and secured with an adhesive. While not common, we do see cases where the binde spilts, in extreme cases the full length of the barrel, or where it has come off of the pen.

https://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/Pelikan800-binde.jpg

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/Pelikan800-EV.jpg

Baisao
October 30th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Thank you, Ron. This was just the confirmation I was looking for.

Being that it may be cellulose acetate, would it be wise to stay away from alkaline inks?

fountainpenkid
November 1st, 2020, 08:01 PM
I'm quite sure the inner sleeves are--and have always been--acrylic. I believe this even goes for the 1950s models, which explains why they so rarely have the level of ambering seen with their contemporaries.

pajaro
November 2nd, 2020, 03:33 PM
I read somewhere years ago, when the M300 came out that the M300 had the brass part in the piston mechanism. Is that true?

Baisao
November 2nd, 2020, 03:43 PM
IDK if it is in the first gen M300 but it is supposed to only be in the M800 and M1000.

Ron Z
November 2nd, 2020, 04:03 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a brass bushing in anything below an 800, vintage or modern.

Correction - the old style (pre 1997) 600 had a brass thread bushing. I've only handled a couple over the years.

BoBo Olson
October 11th, 2021, 05:38 AM
What could be important...though from reading of problems it seemed to be an 800's problem...but Ron's observation.
""""Speculation on the part of Pelikan service is that some of the dye saturated inks are the reason why the plastic weakens and the nose piece snaps."""

I just don't know or remember nose piece snaps on 200/400/600 and never paid any attention to 1000's problems......only had mine a couple of years. It was the 800 that appeared to have a number of nose snaps.
So I'm wondering about the saturated ink problemss.

I only have a couple supersaturated inks and a hand full of saturated inks; in I chase shading inks; which are not saturated or they'd not shade. (I think...Noodler's Apache Sunset and Golden Brown have two tones.....and could be at least saturated. I know too little about inks. But stay with old time Euro brands.)

Ron Z
October 11th, 2021, 07:01 AM
The comment came from our contact at Chartpak who handled Pelikan repairs. I've repaired snapped off sections on all levels of pens - even the smallest, though the 800 series pens are the most common.

BoBo Olson
October 13th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Good to know Ron....about it being a design failure.

I've been very lucky it appears...or is it the ink...if so been lucky I don't chase saturated or supersaturated inks......IF that was the problem.

I chase low saturated....two toned shading inks.