PDA

View Full Version : The Proverbial Desert Island Work

fncll
July 12th, 2013, 05:00 PM
You can take all of your pens, but only three bottles of ink. You'll go crazy if the colors are too bland; you will go crazy if the ink is finicky and half your pens act funky (or change colors on the inside permanently).

Which three inks do you take?

Tracy Lee
July 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Right now, Iroshizuku Kon Peki, de Atramentis Baked Apple, and J. Herbin Vert Empire. Except I would fill my traveling inkpots with the J. Herbin because the bottle is too stupid to be saved from whatever calamity I am fleeing in this scenario.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

john
July 12th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Just forget the pen and the ink in the desert island. I need a stiff fixed blade and a flint stone, if lucky enough then should be with gallons of water:)

AndyT
July 13th, 2013, 04:30 AM
This would be much easier with five. :)

Waterman Blue Black
Diamine Monaco Red
Diamine Sunshine Yellow (weird, huh)?

reprieve
July 13th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Pilot Blue-black
Noodler's Purple Heart
Sailor Tokiwamatsu

erpe
July 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Schoolbottle of Pelikan 4001 BlueBlack
Idem Waterman tifkaf
Some bottles Akkerman Hopjes
Oh, and half a container of Clairefontaine 90G otherwise it's all somewhat useless :-)

fncll
July 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
So far I'm interested there are no example of Private Reserve! And a lot of Noodler's...maybe I shouldn't be as afraid of the latter as I am. So many horror stories. I love the Polar Brown--the only Noodler's I have--but it feathers on just about every paper I really like!

reprieve
July 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM
So far I'm interested there are no example of Private Reserve! And a lot of Noodler's...maybe I shouldn't be as afraid of the latter as I am. So many horror stories. I love the Polar Brown--the only Noodler's I have--but it feathers on just about every paper I really like!

In my experience, the regular Noodler's inks are well-behaved (and are certainly comparable to other saturated inks such as Private Reserve). It is the "special" inks (e.g., eternal, bulletproof, baystate, highlighter, etc.) that require more care. I wouldn't avoid the entire line just because there are a few high maintenance colors. If you're aware of what you buy, and you practice good pen hygiene, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

PS: If I could have had four inks on my list, I probably would have added Private Reserve Avocado! It's a lovely green. I also really like DC Supershow Blue... there are too many wonderful inks to be stranded on a deserted island with only three choices! :)

fncll
July 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Good to know (re: Noodler's). They have a great slate of colors. It was the Bay State Blue stories that worried me...because I wasn't aware BSB was a special ink that I could identify as such!

DC Supershow Blue is a favorite of mine as well. I'm always looking for blues that are as good or better...

The Good Captain
July 14th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black
Diamine Salamander
Diamine Presidential Blue

cedargirl
July 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM
I'll have to test my inks to see which ones write on ... hey, what grows on a desert island? I think I might need more than pens and ink.

RudyR
July 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Wait. Is this one of those itty bitty islands with one palm tree for shade? That means there would be a lot of water splashing on the paper so an iron gall ink for me in that case. And If it is a larger deserted Island, then why did the people desert the island in the first place? Why am I even there? Especially since its probably a hot island since it has palm trees. I don't want to be there at all. Never send me to a tropical island. Never. I hate them. That's probably why they left in the first place. And it probably has no water. This deserted island really $uxs. I'm leaving. bye.

RudyR
July 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Yikes! What happened to my post? Its huge

79spitfire
July 28th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Yikes! What happened to my post? Its huge

Were you shouting???

Pilot blue-black
Noodler's black
MB Irish Green

writingrav
July 28th, 2013, 05:30 AM
I would never take only three bottles. I don't cross the street with fewer than three bottles:

Noodler's Midnight Blue
Organic Studio "Join or Die"
DeArtremis Fuschia

Margana
July 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I love the rant against the island! Well done, Rudy.

Montblanc Racing Green
Diamine Mediterranean Blue
Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

erpe
July 29th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Wait. Is this one of those itty bitty islands with one palm tree for shade? That means there would be a lot of water splashing on the paper so an iron gall ink for me in that case. And If it is a larger deserted Island, then why did the people desert the island in the first place? Why am I even there? Especially since its probably a hot island since it has palm trees. I don't want to be there at all. Never send me to a tropical island. Never. I hate them. That's probably why they left in the first place. And it probably has no water. This deserted island really $uxs. I'm leaving. bye.

I don't picture a deserted island as such, maybe more like a flock of FPgeeks with their pens, papers en thoughts homing in on a remote forest to write. A bit like the ending of Fahrenheit 451 maybe...:bump2:

Just visualizing here, nothing to worry about :-)

jde
July 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I've already figured this one out as I kinda live on a desert island already...*ahem*
Pilot Blue-Black
Namiki/Pilot Blue

and just for fun, an ink I don't have but love: Sailor Sei-boku. Otherwise it'd be Sailor Epinard...

Oh my, is this a Sailor LE of some kind? :) A thread/photo you can point to?

Sailor Tokiwamatsu

reprieve
July 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Sailor Tokiwamatsu

Tokiwamatsu was one of Sailor's seasonal LE inks from 2010. It's a lovely green, and very close to Epinard, but it is slightly darker and exhibits more sheen. I only have one bottle, but I wish I had bought a dozen when they were available--it has become my favorite green ink!

I don't have my own photos, but here is a link to a photo in a post on Leigh Reyes's blog (http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=3891).

jde
July 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Sailor Tokiwamatsu

Tokiwamatsu was one of Sailor's seasonal LE inks from 2010. It's a lovely green, and very close to Epinard, but it is slightly darker and exhibits more sheen. I only have one bottle, but I wish I had bought a dozen when they were available--it has become my favorite green ink!

I don't have my own photos, but here is a link to a photo in a post on Leigh Reyes's blog (http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=3891).

oooo thank you for that link—I figured it was one of those I'd never get to buy! Beautiful, great desert island choice.

79spitfire
July 30th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Here's a thought, Why on earth would you be traveling with only 3 inks anyway????

Just a thought....:crazy_pilot:

fncll
July 31st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Here's a thought, Why on earth would you be traveling with only 3 inks anyway????

Just a thought....:crazy_pilot:

Because that's what the alien overlords allow!

KrazyIvan
July 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM
I will force choke the alien overlords. Problem solved. Yay! Grab all the inks you want!

79spitfire
July 31st, 2013, 11:51 PM
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

(of course, as Sith Lord with an attitude helps too):fans:

Cowboys Vs Aliens.... Bet on the Cowboys..