PDA

View Full Version : Favorite nib sizes

historicink
July 12th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Just curious as to what your favorite nib sizes are

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

View from the Loft
July 13th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Cursive italics - the broader the better.

AndyT
July 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Flexible fine and extra fine just lately.

pencils+pens
July 13th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Fine and extra fine, in that order.

Tracy Lee
July 13th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Medium, Broad, Stub.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

reprieve
July 13th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Broad, double broad, and stub.

tandaina
July 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
OBB

Edit: I should clarify that is VINTAGE OBB! NOT the modern OBBs witht he big huge ball of iridium. Old Peli and MB OBB from the 50s are essentially oblique italics.

Jeph
July 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I had already determined that I liked a line that was .5mm or slightly smaller when writing on my normal cheap office paper at work.

I tried this SBRE Brown Figuring Out the Ideal Nib Width (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s3wczxYT5U) and my result was .55 mm. I went back to work notes I had made months previously to get my numbers so I could not subconsciously change the result. So, I think that the method is more accurate than I would have expected.

So far, only my TWSBI 580 with XF nib (I still press slightly too hard for a fountain pen) has met the requirement. I had one fine (304) Sheaffer nib that wrote in my desired width until I noticed it was dryer than my other 304's and "fixed it" using the copper shim. Now the line is too wide for my preference but it is too smooth to mess with again.

If I were to use a pen for personal correspondence, then I think that I would prefer a wider nib. I enjoy writing with my Sheaffer M, and I have a Esterbrook B coming out of the restoration process that I will (hopefully) try later today.

I also have a 1.5 for the TWSBI, but don't want to change nibs until I have a pen that meets my work preference to take its place.

Edit: I tried the B and clearly this nib has been tweaked (it was originally a simple B and now it is an oblique B+) but I have no idea what I would do with a nib like that other than possibly paint my house. The ink did look very nice though...

earthdawn
July 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Stub, Stub & flexable stub :bounce:

Honey Mustard
July 13th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Medium stubs or cursive italics depending on the mood.

vdiantonio
July 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Extra fine

fncll
July 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Lately I'm grooving on smallish stubs. I'm having to learn to write larger than I normally do so I can get those great lines of ink from larger nibs. Otherwise I prefer a wet F or F/M line.

I really want to try an oblique nib or two...I tend to rotate my nib a bit clockwise and I suspect an oblique might work well.

Paul-H
July 14th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Medium and wet for me although fine will do as long as its wet, Good job I like Sheaffers as their old fine nibs are nice and wet, well the ones I own are at-least.

Paul

gwgtaylor
July 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Juicy broad nail. =heaven

cedargirl
July 14th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I would normally say M/B/BB, especially B/BBs in right oblique.

But I think it depends on my mood. I have quite a few F nibs that I enjoy using and some of my inks look better in a fine nib. I also enjoy stubs - even fine stubs. I'll go large sometimes too - 1.5/1.9, but when the nibs get very wide they aren't so practical for normal writing. But I have fun.

The only nib size I can not write with is an EF.

I like mango pudding
July 15th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Broad, double broad, and stub.

+1 !!!!

but stubs have to be at least 1.1 mm.

CapeClear
July 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I'm a stub only kinda girl. 1.1mm or 1.5mm for every day writing. I do take a Fine nib for filling out certain forms.

tarheel1
July 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM
See a lot of people say stub, but isn't that just a shape? I like broad italics, broad stubs, followed by fine to broad or bb flexible.

fncll
July 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM
True, but I like stubs of all sizes, depending on my need. I tend toward around .9mm for everyday use.

tandaina
July 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
And many pen makers now sell "stub" nibs. Just that. They seem to be a pretty standard size, most I've seen somewhere around 1mm?

KrazyIvan
July 15th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Stubs to crisp CI's in the .9-1.1 mm variety.

00Photo
July 15th, 2013, 11:54 PM
I like either fine flexible, or monster juicy italic/stub/spatula. Nothing in between will do at all. :crazy_pilot:

oldstoat
July 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM
B/M/stub

I find that fine nibs accentuate the scratchiness of my cursive writing.

I'll see how the BBB in the post looks.........