PDA

View Full Version : Retail Therapy

Tracy Lee
July 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM
This week has been ridiculously stressful. I can always tell by how many internet order confirmation emails are in my inbox. :):p Friday nights seem to lend themselves to sprawling on the couch with my tablet browsing EBay, and buying other stuff I have been eyeballing. Tonight, three bottles of ink from two places, and some of the infamous Night Sky Field Notes. When do you do your best browsing/shopping?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jbb
July 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I've been in therapy buying mode lately. Mine is caused by needing to be around lots of people which, for this introvert, is draining & stressful. (I once transacted a pen sale while repeatedly sneaking away during a dinner party.*) :) To keep my guilt in check I keep trying to sell things in my Etsy store.

* In my defense, it was for an Esterbrook nib in the 3000 series.

MisterBoll
July 12th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Could any of this have to do with the fact that we are in Mercury retrograde?

earthdawn
July 12th, 2013, 08:36 PM
LOL

I tell ya there are days.... like today, where I literally HOPE someone outbids me, like tonight

I was watching a Nakaya and waiting... along with 2 other people. Whew.. I lost :cry:

jbb
July 12th, 2013, 09:07 PM
LOL

I tell ya there are days.... like today, where I literally HOPE someone outbids me, like tonight

I was watching a Nakaya and waiting... along with 2 other people. Whew.. I lost :cry:

OMG, been there!

jbb
July 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Could any of this have to do with the fact that we are in Mercury retrograde?

Anything is possible. :)

Tracy Lee
July 13th, 2013, 05:41 AM
LOL

OMG, been there!

Totally been there, just last week in fact.

Moxoftritonytes
July 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I`m in the lucky position of not having an eBay account. So I cannot bid on there. I`m doing my therapy pen shopping at the brick and mortar stores in the area here. I`m still waiting on the last pen I ordered. It will take one or two more weeks until it is delivered to the shop and I can fetch it and bring it to its`new home, argh! Having to wait is terribly exciting.

Tracy Lee
July 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I`m in the lucky position of not having an eBay account. So I cannot bid on there. I`m doing my therapy pen shopping at the brick and mortar stores in the area here. I`m still waiting on the last pen I ordered. It will take one or two more weeks until it is delivered to the shop and I can fetch it and bring it to its`new home, argh! Having to wait is terribly exciting.

What did you order? I really wish there were brick and mortars around me, I would definitely go that route.

I like mango pudding
July 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM
yup, been there done that. I too wish I was outbid on a couple of items. Just last week I bid on the same thing on two different auctions. I set my max bid on both, hours ahead of closing, only to decide, "hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn't have gotten them". The next day, I open up my ebay account and I won both of them. oh well.

I try to go bricks and mortar, especially for inks.

But the useless non fp items will get you for sure. DealExtreme and Pandawill, BuyinCoins, man, those sites will eat you up alive, I tell ya!!!!

fncll
July 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Sorry if sniping annoys anyone, but more than once I've scrambled, with 30 seconds or so left, to get to my account and kill a bid on something I've gotten cold feet about...

CapeClear
July 14th, 2013, 04:07 PM
In the past fortnight my partner and I have accumulated 5 new pairs of shoes. I think the hot weather is making us dotty. I haven't purchased anything staionery related in almost a fortnight which must be some kind of record for me. So close to a Cultpens haul though :D

cedargirl
July 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
LOL

OMG, been there!

Totally been there, just last week in fact.

Me too. Scary isn't it.

Also - I recently found myself sneaking down to the post office to pick up some orders - not because there was any problem with me buying them, just because I was embarrassed by the recent quantity!! LOL

Or you get an Ebay win email on something you totally forgot you bid on - it must have been important, hey!

cedargirl
July 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM
yup, been there done that. I too wish I was outbid on a couple of items. Just last week I bid on the same thing on two different auctions. I set my max bid on both, hours ahead of closing, only to decide, "hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn't have gotten them". The next day, I open up my ebay account and I won both of them. oh well.

Yep, that too. Went to my computer to cancel two bids on auctions due to end that evening, only to find I was out by a day and had already won them. Happy sad!

jbb
July 14th, 2013, 04:26 PM
For what it's worth, I think I get the same sort of therapy/happy boost whether I buy something or sell something. When I'm looking for a jolt out of the doldrums I will bid on items ending soon and also list items to sell that might be good bargains so they sell quickly. Both are fun.

tandaina
July 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah I'm having a surprisingly complicated and difficult day and retail therapy is SO tempting.

MisterBoll
July 14th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I've been (surprise) looking for a new black pen. Something interesting yet traditional. I've not been able to find anything so this retail therapy that y'all speak of is not happening for me.

On an astrological note - this will be over on the 20th of this month.

Tracy Lee
July 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
I've been (surprise) looking for a new black pen. Something interesting yet traditional. I've not been able to find anything so this retail therapy that y'all speak of is not happening for me.

On an astrological note - this will be over on the 20th of this month.

Did you see the picture of the Delta Fusion with the black matte finish? I spent some time with it today, really like it. The shape seems very traditional with the gold trim. :) Matte is not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

MisterBoll
July 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Did you see the picture of the Delta Fusion with the black matte finish? I spent some time with it today, really like it. The shape seems very traditional with the gold trim. :) Matte is not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

I've not seen that. I'll look it up. It might just be what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

Tracy Lee
July 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM

I've not seen that. I'll look it up. It might just be what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

My picture is in the Delta thread. There is an auction right now that starts at $.99 and only one bid at that amount last I checked. It retails over $300. I have a stub fusion nib and a medium, both just great!

MisterBoll
July 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM
My picture is in the Delta thread. There is an auction right now that starts at $.99 and only one bid at that amount last I checked. It retails over $300. I have a stub fusion nib and a medium, both just great!

Now I getcha! Thanks! I found it. Looks very cool.

79spitfire
July 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I've had way too much this month. My pen purchases have not been on Ebay. Ebay, has however supplied me with a bunch of 'nice to haves' for computers and work.

Nomdeplume
July 14th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I have discovered that I can get good therapeutic results from a Pilot Petit1 in a new color at less than $5...of course I have to get enough of them to qualify for free shipping! But it serves a purpose without spending a fortune!

Carole
July 15th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Well, it turns out that today is Rembrandt's birthday! So I thought, what better therapy than to buy a Rembrandt pen on the big guy's birthday?

But when I looked on eBay, I found something even better. A rare self-portrait of Rembrandt.... actually holding a Visconti Rembrandt pen! Isn't it something? It cost a lot
more than the pen would have. But it's probably a good investment! Any experts out there, please feel free to chime in. I'm going to hang it over the couch!

oldstoat
July 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I think he's been done- the pen looks like a cheap clone. No wonder he turned to painting.
Congrats on the picture, by the way. Will the couchover which it hangs be Dr Freud's original couch?

bluefeathers
July 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Ditto +1. So relieved to know I'm not the only one! I've now come to think of myself as the opening bidder--a good way to ensure losing on an item!

But I still ended up buying way too many pens this month given my student income. I think I need to sit on Dr. Freud's couch to explain buying pens as a way of
not finishing my dissertation. :cry:

jbb
July 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Ditto +1. So relieved to know I'm not the only one! I've now come to think of myself as the opening bidder--a good way to ensure losing on an item!

But I still ended up buying way too many pens this month given my student income. I think I need to sit on Dr. Freud's couch to explain buying pens as a way of

OR you can calculate the cost of sitting on Freud's couch and spend that amount on pens. :) You might be in therapy for years.

bluefeathers
July 17th, 2013, 09:50 AM

OR you can calculate the cost of sitting on Freud's couch and spend that amount on pens. :) You might be in therapy for years.

Great idea! I'd much rather spend it on pens than in interminable therapy! :clap2::

MisterBoll
July 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
OK, I finally got struck by the gremlins that make you buy more pens so I sprung for two fountain pens of English origin and a rather interesting pen of the dip variety from India. I am all therapied out now.

earthdawn
July 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Heres to therapy lol

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/DBF0B1C6-9072-4DDE-A0E2-8626649990BD-11157-0000034ABBFC6F5F_zps1477b222.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/DBF0B1C6-9072-4DDE-A0E2-8626649990BD-11157-0000034ABBFC6F5F_zps1477b222.jpg.html)

&

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/378F69A3-7DF4-4855-B940-21237C7706FE-5091-0000018661A6EB98_zps08cbc411.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/378F69A3-7DF4-4855-B940-21237C7706FE-5091-0000018661A6EB98_zps08cbc411.jpg.html)

Tracy Lee
July 18th, 2013, 04:51 AM
My two bottles of ink arrived yesterday and two more still enroute. I got my night sky field notes too. I have one more big therapeutic package enroute and am very excited. I will post photos when it arrives. :-)

MisterBoll
July 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM
It is interesting how packages arriving can make you feel really good. Of course this only applies to pens, inks, etc.

Fawkes
July 30th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I've been in a bit of a buying habit over the summer due to the recent death of my Father. I have splurged on several OMASes, LE Montegrappas and some very rare old Pelikans and Montblancs. I also bought a Westminster briefcase from Swaine Adeney and some Smythson correspondence cards. But, I have recognized this buying is only a temporary comfort and have found long lasting therapy in the form of the P90X2 workouts and diets.

I'm done with buying for a while...

...or, at least I think I am.

Fawkes
July 30th, 2013, 10:51 PM
earthdawn: I love Akkerman ink! Garuda Rood is my favorite color and is whats in my Eternal Bird at the moment. Do you have a favorite?

earthdawn
July 30th, 2013, 11:19 PM
earthdawn: I love Akkerman ink! Garuda Rood is my favorite color and is whats in my Eternal Bird at the moment. Do you have a favorite?

Right now I am loving the Treves Turquoise... flows beautifully and lays down really nice.

Not an everyday ink but something about the color just stikes me.

Mesu
July 31st, 2013, 04:05 AM

Sorry if sniping annoys anyone, but more than once I've scrambled, with 30 seconds or so left, to get to my account and kill a bid on something I've gotten cold feet about...

Wow.. it is nice to know i have company

you get an Ebay win email on something you totally forgot you bid on - it must have been important, hey!

Recently i got an Esterbrook Green LJ like that. It took 3 weeks to arrive in the post and i was :blink:

It is interesting how packages arriving can make you feel really good. Of course this only applies to pens, inks, etc.

Yup and somehow this feel good factor applies only to packages not credit card bills :cry:

ardgedee
July 31st, 2013, 06:27 AM
It's more like narcotics than therapy... The therapy is using the pens, or maybe restoring pens if that's your calling...

ardgedee
July 31st, 2013, 06:32 AM

The other day I won one auction and lost the other, both auctions ending in sniping. I looked at the bidding histories later, and sure enough the same Ebay member who drove the final price on my win up by $8 was the winner of the auction I drove up by $13 in the final seconds. The real winners were the sellers who netted an extra $21 with no added effort.

MisterBoll
July 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM
It's more like narcotics than therapy... The therapy is using the pens, or maybe restoring pens if that's your calling...

Now imagine shopping while on narcotics.

79spitfire
July 31st, 2013, 11:56 PM

you get an Ebay win email on something you totally forgot you bid on - it must have been important, hey!

Recently i got an Esterbrook Green LJ like that. It took 3 weeks to arrive in the post and i was :blink:

Yup and somehow this feel good factor applies only to packages not credit card bills :cry:

Hate to say, works for other things too.... :crazy_pilot:

It is a bit like narcotics, the 'happiness' only lasts a bit...(well about the arrival, I am happy with most of my pens....)

Penne Stilografiche
August 8th, 2013, 12:16 AM
This week has been ridiculously stressful. I can always tell by how many internet order confirmation emails are in my inbox. :):p Friday nights seem to lend themselves to sprawling on the couch with my tablet browsing EBay, and buying other stuff I have been eyeballing. Tonight, three bottles of ink from two places, and some of the infamous Night Sky Field Notes. When do you do your best browsing/shopping?

It seems I've had luck on ebay very late at night. I just bought 18 bottles of ink in the past 16 days from Goulets, I wish my ink addiction would end already.... As for pens, I have bought too many of them from evilBay this month.