PDA

View Full Version : Bonsai enthusiasts?

Pens&Lit
July 12th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Anyone around here a bonsai tree enthusiast? I've been admiring some online lately (while waiting, semi-patiently, for a bottle of Iroshizuku Yu-yake Sunset to arrive), and was wondering if anyone here had some bonsai. I'm thinking of getting a Chinese Elm for my office. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

johniem
July 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I have three at this time. An Orange Jasmine, a Dwarf Schefflera, and just received a Ficus from my daughter as a house warming gift. I haven't identified the Ficus yet. I'm focusing on it's dropping leaves in its new environment. The Schefflera is about ten years old and eight inches tall. She's due for a defoliation soon. The Jasmine foes best when I leave her alone. I've had no success with any of the evergreens as they don't do well indoors.

I like mango pudding
July 12th, 2013, 10:23 PM
yes, but mine are mainly succulent bonsai, and not the traditional types. Most are Crassulas (jade plants). I will one day show some pics.

fountainpenkid
July 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I am totally intrigued by them and have wanted to start for at least 3 years, but other stuff has gotten in the way. Maybe I will start a juniper sometime this summer.

I like mango pudding
July 15th, 2013, 01:43 PM
there are lots of resources on the internet and lots of discussion forums. It takes many years to grow and train specimens to the proper bonsai techniques.

And for all those that don't know it's pronounced "BONE sigh" not Banzai!!

tarheel1
July 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I love bonsai but not had good luck between cats eating them and not enough light.

Nomdeplume
July 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I have an uncle who has propagated an entire forest! He is as crazy with his trees and pots and all things miniature trees as I am with pens, inks, and paper!
His advise would parallel what we say to people buying from the web...beware, work with reputable vendors and other enthusiasts! The bonsai you buy from florists are generally NOT "real" in terms of their ability to continue to grow...they are made for the sale so will be like cut flowers- basically dead when you get them��!

Pens&Lit
July 15th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I am totally intrigued by them and have wanted to start for at least 3 years, but other stuff has gotten in the way.

I'm in a similar boat; things just kept popping up, but I think I can start small and work on a trained tree to learn how to maintain one.

there are lots of resources on the internet and lots of discussion forums. It takes many years to grow and train specimens to the proper bonsai techniques.

And for all those that don't know it's pronounced "BONE sigh" not Banzai!!

I have found a few websites that look to be pretty reputable selling trained trees, but I am interested very much in developing the skills to train a specimen from start to finish once I learn basic skills and maintenance.

Thanks for the replies all! Keep 'em coming, and I would love to see pictures from those of you that have some bonsai.

manuel1094
July 15th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I am a bonsai-enthusiast. I'm even a member of the board of directors of the Venezuelan Bonsai Society, which is the first spanish-speaking bonsai club ever founded. I am still learning a lot of things, you need dedication and patience with bonsai. You will not find results instantly.

Jon Szanto
July 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
The luck I have with growing things, I'd have a better chance if I just grew to 90 feet tall and looked at normal plants like they were bonsai.

85AKbN
March 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM
one of my italian stone pine seeds just sprouted. this is my bonsai from a seedling project. i use jiffy peat pellets. lots of my seeds have not sprouted. latest attempt are some giant sequoia seeds.