PDA

View Full Version : Parker 61 cap markings

Bananabender
November 17th, 2020, 10:24 PM
In was interested in what markings ,if any, were on the 61.
The cap has the expected markings around the base of the cap, Parker , 12k gf , 1/10 ,insignia, made in USA etc but then I noticed a 3 stamped on the cap ring per below. Is it a size or does it denote the year ?

proteus
November 18th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Sir

When you have some more time

You must be very busy on top of that ladder bending bananas.

Can you please show me an image of the whole pen – barrel off.

Would wish to see an image of the arrow clip too please - front section.

In the past I have seen pretty much everything P61’s ( prototypes et al )

Bananabender
November 18th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Never too busy in banana land .

proteus
November 19th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Your pen looks like a very nice standard 61 Custom – GF.

All Parker 61’s caps on this age use uniform printed font.

The only printing that I seen on any Parker 61 cap clips are solid gold hallmarks.

Looking at your limited photograph I have assumed that is engraved ( 3 or M ) and not punched.

I would say that this mark has been made after purchase by an owner for some reason.

Given that one of the very best experts on Janesville made P61’s has not commented so far ( Farmboy ), I will have to assume that my conclusion is correct.

nb : By the way, how many years does it take to train to be a professional banana bender ? ............I can climb a big ladder

Bananabender
November 19th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Thanks proteus , sorry for delay been out showing banana apprentices the banana twist using one hand . Takes years . The ladder part is easy .
Its what you do once you reach the bunch. Singing to it relaxes them for bending. 🎶 I’ve got a lovely bunch of bananas . 🎶
Hang on thats for coconut season.

RobJohnson
November 20th, 2020, 12:38 AM
Not too sure that the 3 has been added by an owner, I have also had 61s with a 3 in the past, quite what the 3 referred to I am not sure, well, tbh, I have no idea other than I have seen no number apart from 3. The thought has just occurred to me that it was part of a 3 pen set, BP, MP and FP.

proteus
November 20th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Mr bananabender

You do make me smile a lot, thank you.

If I sing to my shop bananas will they go straight again ………….

‘ Hang on thats for coconut season.’

If you also harvest coconuts, you must be very talented.

For coconuts you must have a very very large ladder………

RobJohnson

Many thanks for your reply.

Now that is interesting.

If there are two the same, both are factory production batch test marks runs.

Do you have an image to post ?

welch
November 20th, 2020, 04:00 PM
By the way, that is a good-looking P-61 capillary...a US medium? Lately, I've come to think that the capillary filling system was a great idea.

guyy
November 20th, 2020, 04:15 PM
By the way, that is a good-looking P-61 capillary...a US medium? Lately, I've come to think that the capillary filling system was a great idea.

It has it over the Snorkel in every way: easier to use, more reliable and probably much cheaper to produce. If only they had used better plastics in the 61.

Bananabender
November 20th, 2020, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=proteus;308271]Mr bananabender

You do make me smile a lot, thank you.

If I sing to my shop bananas will they go straight again ………….

‘ Hang on thats for coconut season.’

If you also harvest coconuts, you must be very talented.

For coconuts you must have a very very large ladder………

One of Harry’s songs might work.

Dont have to climb for coconuts just sing this and they drop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKTl3g35pHA

Bananabender
November 20th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Thank you , yes US medium and easy as to fill.

proteus
November 21st, 2020, 01:23 PM
Bananabender, your Youtube link made me smile a lot.

Many thanks.

Today I tried singing to my shop bought banana’s – they are still bent…………I thought that they might straighten a little bit......

……….wrong song I quess……….

welch

‘ By the way, that is a good-looking P-61 capillary...a US medium? Lately, I've come to think that the capillary filling system was a great idea. ‘

I always thought this pen was Don Doman’s finest hour.

For me, it is the very best pen Parker ever made.

I always feel special when I write with one.

The design, the whole look in your hand……….

The colours………Surf Green ……Caribbean Green……..Vista Blue

The Rainbow caps………

They are not tricky to maintain and use if you have a good one.

I have a few…..this is one of my trays.

Sheptonian
November 24th, 2020, 01:04 PM
That’s a nice-looking Parker 61, bananabender.

I seem to recall seeing another thread somewhere concerning the number three being stamped on clip rings but if I remember correctly the original question might have been prompted by a Parker 45.

Here are some images of the rear of the clip rings of two USA Parker 61s – a Mk II Custom from c. 1967 and a ballpoint (purchased as a set) together with a Parker VP set (pen and pencil caps stamped Made in U.S.A., Christian Olsen barrel imprints). All of the clip rings are marked with the number 3 to the rear.

On this evidence I can see how it might be that the number could have something to do with sets but I have also owned two other Parker 61 Customs – another pencil and a mid-60s Mk II - with the same marking to the rear of the clip ring. This time both were English production. They were acquired from different sources and so far as I know neither the pencil nor the pen belonged to sets. Of course that does not mean necessarily that both were not sold that way originally.

I am not sure if this gets us any further forward especially since none of the other Parker 61s that I have seen in sets or otherwise have had any markings to the rear of the clip ring.

Lovely collection of 61s you have there by the way, Proteus.

proteus
November 24th, 2020, 02:27 PM
Sheptonian,

Outstanding photography.

I liked looking at your images.

Clearly it is a Parker factory mark.

I have never seen a 3 before.

Bananabender
November 24th, 2020, 08:13 PM
Interesting Sheptonian ,
One can only deduce they are a very rare clip ring and command a hefty premium.
Wanna buy a rare Parker 61 (3) proteus 😉

Yorvik Pens
November 29th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Also seen on the International Jotters.

proteus
November 29th, 2020, 11:35 AM
Yorik pens,

Now that is a rare set.

Given your outstanding Parker knowledge, if you do not know what ' 3 ' means, the rest of us will never know.

Sheptonian
June 20th, 2021, 11:54 AM
There is a thread running on a similar topic on FPN currently.

The imprints in question are also found on some Parker 51s. I have five examples of this, all from around the mid-1960s. Most of the imprints are on the rear of clips on Custom caps but I have this example on a Classic clip from a USA Parker Aerometric 51 Mk II.

proteus
June 20th, 2021, 02:53 PM
Sheptonian,

Now that is interesting.

I have seen 100’s on P51 caps over the years.

Never seen one marked with ‘ 3 ‘ before

Since this thread was posted I have seen a number of other Parker caps marked the same ( only because I actually looked very carefully for it ).

Farmboy, I am sure that you know the meaning of this imprint.