PDA

View Full Version : Some help please - Boxed 1970’s Parker tool kit

proteus
November 24th, 2020, 11:30 AM
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who any ideas as to what this tool kit is for.

It is a Parker release, 1970’s Newhaven Halo Box.

Given the effort involved they must have a specific use.

The screw driver is not for P51 61 FP arrow cap screws.

I am not that clever, to me it is a mystery.

( Mr Bananabender – is the curved tool one that you would use for straightening / bending bananas…………..smiling a lot )

FredRydr
November 24th, 2020, 12:06 PM
The red and grey tool is a paper cutter. Those always seemed to have the same shape with four-sided barrel and cap, and recessed square ends. The paper sheet is slid below the red plastic and above the knife edge, and the tool is pushed along a tabletop slicing the page. The screwdriver design was probably just made to match the paper cutter.

Ron Z
November 24th, 2020, 12:08 PM
I have a three piece set that Parker sold. These aren't repair tools. They're household tools, the screwdriver for tightening screws on glasses or things that size, the bottom tool is for cutting coupons or news paper clipping. I forget what the third piece was. I still have it, somewhere.

proteus
November 24th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Now it all makes sense, tools for a bygone age.

As an side - I feel rather privileged to have had two of the most informed members here reply. Thank You Both

welch
November 24th, 2020, 02:08 PM
I think this was sold as an accessory to Parker's writing instrument business: fountain pen, plus, ballpoint, plus ink, plus refills, and then tools to use on what you've written and will write. Someplace on FPN there was a story about Parker's name for the kit. Of course, Parker decided there was no future in this, so they dropped it. Yes, from the mid-'60s.

FredRydr
November 24th, 2020, 02:17 PM
... from the mid-'60s.
I got the paper cutter in a Christmas stocking in the early '60s, same color as I recall, with no reference to Parker on the attached hanging card (like today's bubble-pack). It was promoted as a new invention at the time. A dip into patent records would probably tell more.

Ron Z
November 24th, 2020, 02:37 PM
... from the mid-'60s.
I got the paper cutter in a Christmas stocking in the early '60s, same color as I recall, with no reference to Parker on the attached hanging card (like today's bubble-pack). It was promoted as a new invention at the time. A dip into patent records would probably tell more.

That early? Late 60s maybe, but I remember having the paper cutter some time before college, high school I think, which would be early 70s. Early 60s I was into Lego and Matchbox - the stationery bug hadn't hit yet. I was surprised when I saw that the set I have has the Parker name on the box when it Parker wasn't on the first one I had. Fred's explanation clears that up.

Bananabender
November 24th, 2020, 08:39 PM
( Mr Bananabender – is the curved tool one that you would use for straightening / bending bananas…………..smiling a lot )

I had to laugh when reading above. Nearly fell off ..
Na ,we would probably use to clean dirt from under fingernails .Over here ,well you know the line from Mr. Dundee “thats not a knife this a ...”

Farmboy
November 24th, 2020, 09:22 PM
Parker called it a Clipit. The exotic tool is a screwdriver.

Often sold with a 45.

proteus
November 25th, 2020, 04:19 AM
Many thanks Farmboy for its name, Clipit.

I found some other images of it, they even sold them with a solid silver case!!!!

Yorvik Pens
November 29th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Eversharp branded 4 piece set, dated 3/65. :thumb:

Fermata
November 29th, 2020, 09:36 AM
PM sent

welch
November 30th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Eversharp branded 4 piece set, dated 3/65. :thumb:

Thank you, Yorvik! That is the kit I remember from FPN. So the full name was "Time and Worksaver Ensemble", and now we know the name of each piece.