PDA

View Full Version : Discoloured duofold

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Hi I have a duofold fountain pen 2006 and it seems to have discoloured i have used it nearly ever day since owning it from new.i have just purchased a rollerball which was second hand and it is a 1996 and it seems much whiter than the fountain pen is this normal or is the roller ball a fake or as it just not been used much any help would be great please

Chrissy
November 26th, 2020, 09:54 AM
The RB isn't fake but was merely made in a different year and probably hasn't been used much

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 10:12 AM
Hi thank you for your reply so as the fountain pen just gone that colour due to using it because I am sure when I first had purchased i it the pen was white and the roller ball is def not fake

Jon Szanto
November 26th, 2020, 10:35 AM
It may not even be so much about "using" the pen as just "exposing" it to light and the elements. The other pen, besides being a different run of material, may have spent virtually all of it's life in storage, and therefore out of light. Just a thought.

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Hi yes could well be that could it be fake

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Cremator,

Modern white marble Parker finishes of this type are more susceptible to UV light than other colours

Are you able to photograph the barrel cap printing of both pens.

I would like to compare the font type, spacing and actual print clarity

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 11:18 AM
Hi thank you I don’t have the pens with me they are at work what do you mean by the barrel cap printing is that the black bit at the end of the pen which as the year of manufacture on it

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 11:19 AM
Sorry I am a bit new to pens lol

FredRydr
November 26th, 2020, 11:31 AM
If it was my set, I would expose the rollerball to the elements to hasten a color match.

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 11:42 AM
Hi yes that’s what I am going to do so they match

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 11:50 AM
As mentioned by others here, I am sure it is not a fake.

Most would call the colour difference patina

Can you photograph these section showing the printed letters.
Then I would be 100% sure.

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Ok yes I will do it tomorrow and post tomorrow night if ok and thank you so much

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 12:12 PM
Last question from me.

Did you buy the FP with the 'Ace of Spades' cap top from a UK retailer - BOXED.

I am not for a moment suggesting it is a fake.

There is a reason for this question.

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 12:14 PM
No it cane from France and yes got the box with that one

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 12:17 PM
I thought that it may be a Newhaven staff pen

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Why is that

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 12:49 PM
In the past I seen a few of them.

Only sold to Newhaven staff during the latter part of the 2000's.

Your location is not mentioned in your profile, it would be an advantage to add it.

Cremator
November 26th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Oh that’s interesting do they not normally come with the ace of spades on them

proteus
November 26th, 2020, 02:29 PM
No, the standard 2006/7 pen had ace of spades cap top

Photography of both barrel caps would be an advantage.

' Speak ' more after that.

Cremator
November 27th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Here are the pics of the rollerball

Cremator
November 27th, 2020, 09:43 AM
And this is the fountain pen

proteus
November 27th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Many thanks for the added barrel cap images.

From what I can see both are 100% genuine marks.

I totally agree with Jon Szanto’ s excellent initial comments

It may not even be so much about "using" the pen as just "exposing" it to light and the elements. The other pen, besides being a different run of material, may have spent virtually all of it's life in storage, and therefore out of light.

They do look wonderful, enjoy them.

Cremator
November 27th, 2020, 11:35 AM
Hi thank you for your help that’s great to no they are both gen pens I new the FP was but was unsure about the roller ball was I right with the date of manufacture 1996 for the roller ball and 2006 for the FP

welch
November 28th, 2020, 06:14 PM
You have the real thing. No fake. I haven't seen a fake Modern Duofold. There are fake Sonnets, sure, but many of those are so inexpensive that we raise an eyebrow -- a $125 Sonnet on EBay for $10, just like a $50 Montblanc 149. "If the deal is that good, then it's not".

If you have had the Duofold since 2007, you know the original cost, and nothing seemed fak-ish until you saw the rollerball. The explanations above all all reasonable.

Enjoy you fountain pen. If that was your first fountain pen, you started with a good one. It will last.

Cremator
November 29th, 2020, 01:51 AM
Hi welch yes it was my first and only fountain pen it was the rollerball I thought was fake.

amk
November 29th, 2020, 03:54 AM
That's nothing compared to the discoloration of vintage Duofolds in similar material! They go a rich amber.... very difficult to find in pristine condition.

One reason the cartridge converter is superior to the sac filling system - no rubber offgassing, less chance of discoloration.