PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Opera Blue Typhoon filling?

kenmc
July 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
My wife bought me a Visconti Opera Blue Typhoon for my 60th birthday this year. I love the pen and it really writes smooth. Mine has the stub. I don't know if my pen has a problem with the filling system or if I am just doing something wrong because after writing less than a page it starts to run out of ink. I can go through the ritual of getting the reservoir ink to the nib and write a little more then it's out again. Judging from the length and size of the pen as well as the length of the piston rod I think the pen should hold a lot more ink than what mine seems to be filling. I tried the mosquito filling attachment the first couple of times but soon just put it in the box. So I am filling directly from nib to bottle. While this is my only pen with this particular filling system I do have over a hundred pens with many different filling systems and have not had a problem filling any others. Judging from my experience, I don't think I am getting what would amount to half a short international cartridge load of ink. I would appreciate any tips on what I need to do to get a complete fill?
I know Stephen Brown has the crystal demonstrator model of this pen and I've heard him mention the pen many times and it seems to be his favorite pen. I watched his video and he doesn't seem to have any problems with his.
I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

AltecGreen
July 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
The pen has the double reservoir filling system. There is a large upper reservoir and a smaller lower reservoir. The pen draws directly from the lower reservoir. When the blind cap is closed, the upper and lower reservoirs are separated and isolated. You have to give the blind cap a quarter to a half turn to let ink from the upper reservoir into the lower reservoir. If you are writing a lot of words then you'll need to leave the blind cap open while writing.

kenmc
July 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks AltecGreen! I will try that. Could there be some reason that I am only getting the small reservoir filled and not the larger reservoir - or maybe just a fraction of the larger reservoir?

AltecGreen
July 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
When you are filling, the connection between the two reservoir is fully open and it acts like one giant reservoir. You might want to look for a video of that filling system on a clear pen so that you understand how the filling system works.

With that said, there could always be other problems with the pen.

john
July 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks AltecGreen! I will try that. Could there be some reason that I am only getting the small reservoir filled and not the larger reservoir - or maybe just a fraction of the larger reservoir?Visconti power filler which can fill half of the barrel with one touch. If you want to fill up the whole barrel, just pull the piston half way and push it back. You can have 3 to 4 ml of ink in your pen. Double reservoirs should take some time to get use to be. If you want to write for a long time, you have to loosen the blind cap, just like the Pilot 823.

Tracy Lee
July 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Yep, what they said. I leave my blind cap open when I write for better flow. If the doesn't adequately fill the small reservoir from the big, tip the nib up and pull back the filler a little, then tilt back down to fill. I do this with my blue ripple too, but it writes well without the blind cap open. The Typhoon is a good pen, but temperamental has been my experience, and the mosquito thing is stored away at my house too. Not a very useful gadget most days. Play with it a little and try some variations of the great advice these folks have offered up. I think you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

earthdawn
July 15th, 2013, 06:12 PM
@kenmc ~ I bring nothing to the table here as I am not fortunate enough to have one of those beautiful pens BUT...

How about some pics !!! :bump2:

GING GING
September 10th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Man, I need to go ahead and get my feet wet. I have a brand new never been inked blue typhoon

Silverbreeze
September 25th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Question
Is the nib units swappable on these??

The misquoto doesn't work on any other Visconti does it??

ChrisC
September 25th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I have it confirmed from Bryant of Chatterley Luxuries that the large size nib units from modern Visconti pens like the Opera Club/Elements, Wall Street, Divina, etc all fit the Blue Typhoon. Not sure if the mosquito will work if you jam it on the regular nibs though....Careful that you don't mess up the tines . I wouldn't use it.

Silverbreeze
September 25th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I have it confirmed from Bryant of Chatterley Luxuries that the large size nib units from modern Visconti pens like the Opera Club/Elements, Wall Street, Divina, etc all fit the Blue Typhoon. Not sure if the mosquito will work if you jam it on the regular nibs though....Careful that you don't mess up the tines . I wouldn't use it.

That's what I feared thanks

Tracy Lee
September 25th, 2014, 01:41 PM

That's what I feared thanks

I NEVER use my mosquito filler. It's a bit of a gimmick to me and can be messy. It is also designed for the tubular nib so I second the advice not to use it with their regular nibs.

Silverbreeze
September 26th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Hey diid anyone have the nib/feed issue Dan had or was that a dud pen that just had the bad luck it went to a known reviewer like Dan???

Tracy Lee
September 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Hey diid anyone have the nib/feed issue Dan had or was that a dud pen that just had the bad luck it went to a known reviewer like Dan???

Mine is actually a nice wet writer!!

alc3261
September 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Mine writes fine, as in OK.

Bogon07
September 27th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Mine is a tubular 1.3 stub which writes fine once you get the correct angle.

GING GING
October 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Ken. refer back to your owners guide. it will cover this, for you. you may be slow like me at which point youll need to read it several times