PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer VFM... concern? Vapour? Chimerical Notion?

Ernst Bitterman
December 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
I was commenting on the podcast (http://fpgeeks.com/2011/12/fpgeeks-podcast-episode-4/)this afternoon, in response to the AWESOME VFM review (http://fpgeeks.com/2011/12/sheaffer-vfm-fountain-pen-the-awesome-review/), and it was suggested that I throw the comment into the open for a communal ponder. The lads are both down on the pen's filler, as it consists of a single international short cartridge. As I am deeply suspicious of the current management of the company, I have a more elemental issue with this apparition; might the VFM be a foot in the door for the discontinuation of the Sheaffer cartridge?

In terms of pens yet to come, this is a big fat "who cares?", since proprietary cartridges are a slightly wicked insistence on dependency. However, considering the dozens of models Sheaffer's made over the years that take their cartridge, a discontinuation would be a SERIOUS blow to the vintage/not-quite-new Sheaffer users. What chills me is the trouble Waterman C/F users have, and as nice as the C/F is, it's nothing like as numerous Sheaffer's legion of cartridge-suckers.

I'm probably making something out of nothing. Call me a fussbudget. Prove it, in fact, and I'll be the happiest kid around. I have no investment in being right in this worry.

eriquito
December 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
As one of the lads mentioned in the opening post, I suppose I'll chime in... with a question:

Is there a vintage/not-quite-new Sheaffer cartridge-filling fountain pen for which a suitable converter cannot be found?

I guess I'll also add that I wouldn't put it past Sheaffer to discontinue their proprietary cartridges without warning. If we can come up with a Plan B (and perhaps a Plan C) now, we won't have to worry about what Sheaffer may or may not do.

Oh, and speaking of chimerical notions, I look forward to a time when cartridges are no longer needed, no longer used, and hardly remembered.

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Ernst Bitterman
December 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Is there a vintage/not-quite-new Sheaffer cartridge-filling fountain pen for which a suitable converter cannot be found?

There's the purported "slim" cartridges for the extra-narrow Targas, but not only do I consider those a myth for lack of personal contact, I understand there's a converter made by Monteverde that can be forced into service with them.

I look forward to a time when cartridges are no longer needed, no longer used, and hardly remembered.

Ah, I see we share the same scripture, brother.