PDA

View Full Version : SOLD FS: Waterman Hundred Year Pen – 2nd Gen, Red

popcod
December 13th, 2020, 11:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/LDGGRDH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F2JxaXl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZndltlB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rba3sBz.jpg

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS, CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples:*To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). Nib flexibility is determined by variation (max line width under pressure) and softness (amount of pressure). Flexibility designations based on variation generally run as follows for an XF/F nib: Semi-Flex (approx. 1mm); Flex (1.2-1.9mm);* Superflex (>2mm). All line width measurements are taken with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide. Width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

c. 1940 Waterman Hundred Year Pen – 2nd generation*(ribbed Red transparent Lucite, GFT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex/Superflex nib). Measures 5 1/8" capped. Manufactured for only one year, second gen HYPs are much scarcer and much more sought after than later ones. This is partly owing to the fact that they were made of Lucite, the same robust material used for the Parker's 51. The Lucite of this pen is entirely transparent, so that one can see the nib inside the cap and the ink in the sac inside the barrel when it's held to light (see DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/FOOZZMw. Transparent Lucite is far more stable and durable than nitrate celluloid, having *none* of the crystallization problems plaguing the latter. But Waterman would phase out the material, making the transition to celluloid HYPs in late-1941. Most of the barrel and part of the cap of this pen is ribbed and it carries the same style of military clip. But unlike later models, it features a triple gold-filled bands on the barrel as opposed to the cap. Cap profile is also more bulbous by comparison. Large 14k Hundred Year nib yields Super-Flexible variation with Flexible softness. It lays down a buttery smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.0mm) under light/moderate pressure. Responsive snap-back, nice variation, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it an excellent choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles.

Condition:There is some high-point wear to the edges of the clip, thin barrel bands, and lever. The full transparency of this pen means that one can see every imperfection the interior has accumulated over the decades as it was subjected to ink-moist conditions of use and repair. The Lucite on the exterior is all but immaculate – no deep scratches or other notable blemishes, minimal micro-scratches. But there is some ink staining, scratches, and clouding of some of the plastic inside the barrel, visible when the pen is held to light despite not reaching the surface. Ditto the cap, which has in addition fine scratch or hairline crack in the inner cap, which does not reach the exterior surface (can't be felt or seen to under a loupe), and has no discernible effect on the air-tightness of the pen when capped (see DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/YOyuoRk) - all the texture you're seeing is on the inside of the cap. Manufacturer* imprint on cap is mostly legible. Condition issues have been factored into the price, even as these pens seldom crop up in *any* condition.

Price:$300 SOLD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5 Due to the delivery delays brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and postmaster general DeJoy, I strongly recommend that the Priority shipping option be chosen. All packages will include full insurance (covered by me). I haven't had any go missing since DeJoy was instated. But rest assured that a full refund is guaranteed (issued through Paypal) in the event of a lost parcel and you will not have to wait until I receive a reimbursement from the USPS.

USPS Priority with tracking for $8

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Free shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Ordering: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase (no chat DMs please). If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs after a hold is placed, then pen(s) may become available to the next person.

Payment, & Guarantee: Payment by Paypal only. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the*historical sales forums and FPN(username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.