PDA

View Full Version : Waterman 452 1/2v restoration info?

penmainiac
December 20th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Hi folks, a local seller nearby me has a Waterman 452 1/2 in pretty decent condition for $100. I’m not really any expert in Waterman and I was wondering what sac size I would need to restore pen. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eachan
December 20th, 2020, 12:58 PM
If I remember correctly the smaller 52 takes a 16 or 17.

penmainiac
December 20th, 2020, 01:10 PM
If I remember correctly the smaller 52 takes a 16 or 17.

What length do they usually need to be cut down to?

guyy
December 20th, 2020, 04:54 PM
I’ve never felt the need to be exact about sac length: short enough to miss the end of the barrel & long enough to get ink in. I’ll usually do a dry run to make sure the sac doesn’t hit & there’s nothing stuck in the barrel end.

eachan
December 20th, 2020, 04:55 PM
I couldn't say. Work it out when you get the sac. You can lay it all out and see how long the sac needs to be. That's how I do it. I've never measured a sac.

penmainiac
December 20th, 2020, 06:32 PM
I couldn't say. Work it out when you get the sac. You can lay it all out and see how long the sac needs to be. That's how I do it. I've never measured a sac.

Out of curiosity, is a 452 1/2v supposed to have a pressure bar inside it or anything? When I opened the section there was nothing inside except the lever box I believe

eachan
December 20th, 2020, 07:48 PM

Out of curiosity, is a 452 1/2v supposed to have a pressure bar inside it or anything? When I opened the section there was nothing inside except the lever box I believe

Yes, it should have a pressure bar, of the swing bar type. Some people call them slide bars.

penmainiac
December 21st, 2020, 01:33 AM

Yes, it should have a pressure bar, of the swing bar type. Some people call them slide bars.

Ah ok, I’m still a bit new to lever fill fountain pens having only restored Parker Vacs before. I’m just going to assume then that all this pen needs is a new sac.

eachan
December 21st, 2020, 03:15 AM
It won't work without a pressure bar.

FredRydr
December 21st, 2020, 03:27 AM
...What length do they usually need to be cut down to?
Read: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/resac.htm

penmainiac
December 21st, 2020, 01:11 PM
It won't work without a pressure bar.

Oh yeah I has a pressure bar, I wasn’t totally sure what those look like but I did some digging. It has one attached to the lever.

penmainiac
December 21st, 2020, 03:02 PM
Is the 452’s nipple feed area supposed to be like this? There are some rough edges that look like maybe a sac collapsed in there?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201221/a5a9b9a946b0739f7ad92db31a090397.jpg

eachan
December 22nd, 2020, 03:07 AM
That appears to be the old sac. You'll have to get that out but be careful not to pull the pressure bar out as it would be a little difficult to replace. I use a dental pick for removing old sacs but a small screwdriver might do.

penmainiac
December 22nd, 2020, 11:26 AM
That appears to be the old sac. You'll have to get that out but be careful not to pull the pressure bar out as it would be a little difficult to replace. I use a dental pick for removing old sacs but a small screwdriver might do.

It has a little slit indicative of a feed, is there anyway to know for sure?

FredRydr
December 22nd, 2020, 12:40 PM

It has a little slit indicative of a feed, is there anyway to know for sure?
If that is the section in your hand (the photo isn't very clear), then yes, it's the back end of the feed. You use a punch and a knock-out block to remove it.

Before you proceed further, I suggest you lay your hands on a copy of Marshall and Oldfield's Pen Repair, now in its fourth edition. It will guide you not only on procedure, but tool choices as well.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. i6c85s6ZEPgUXZLu4oA_jQHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1