PDA

View Full Version : SE/LE/WE MB sealed in box

FredRydr
December 31st, 2020, 07:51 AM
Those classified listings for special, limited and writers edition Montblanc pens still sealed in their plastic shrink-wrap make me wince. This article about new collectibles as investments (in this case exotic supercars) has some parallels. Food for thought: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/business/low-mileage-supercars-lamborghini.html

guyy
December 31st, 2020, 05:29 PM
I agree, Fred. Even made-to-be-collected MBs ought to be treated as pens once in a while. How do they even know anything is in the box? It seems like a golden opportunity for fakers: replicate the box and some shrink wrap, put something of pen weight inside and go to town.

I prefer pens that have a feel of being used, if only as a gift. That extends to engraved pens — provided the engraving is not too ostentatious or poorly done.

silverlifter
December 31st, 2020, 05:41 PM
I dunno, it seems weirdly appropriate. Star Wars action figurines are worth exponentially more in unopened boxes; MB's range of toys seems no different to me.

Actual pens, made for writing, on the other hand, should always be inked! :)

Chrissy
January 1st, 2021, 01:12 AM
Those classified listings for special, limited and writers edition Montblanc pens still sealed in their plastic shrink-wrap make me wince.
They make me wince too. I would never buy one without opening it in front of the seller.

Cars don't like to sit around unused. I have one. It has to have a trickle charger to keep the battery charged, and it's also had to have a replacement starter motor because the original became sluggish due to low use and kept blowing the fuse when trying to start.

lsmith42
January 29th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Schrodinger’s Pen: you will not know what’s in the box until you open the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penwash
January 29th, 2021, 07:26 PM
Unless we're talking about a store surplus or closing inventory, it's unnatural to collect solely unopened pens in their original boxes.
Aren't the person at least curious of how the pen actually look and feel in the hand?

That said, I've heard of collectors who bought two of the same pen, one kept unopened, the other "treated like a pen should be" :)

ASoultos
January 31st, 2021, 11:56 AM
Being a pen dealer I can see why people wish to never ink a few very special pens (a NOS Visconti Empire Antique Ivory recently found its way into my offering), but overall one has to always make sure the item is working and in proper condition.

Furthermore, the main determinant of price is always demand vs. supply, if a significant number of any limited edition's offering is kept in the shrink wraps then there is next to no premium for the items kept in that condition.