PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc 149 Calligraphy/Flex nib ink recommendations

mcannad1
January 4th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Anyone have a good ink that they've used with the Montblanc 149 Calligraphy/Flex nib? Something with a good flow, that can stand up to some slight flexing that occurs while doing generally daily writing. I recently got one of these and I seem to have some skipping on some of the downstrokes of some letters (T, L, B, Etc) periodically while taking notes. It almost seems like the feed is having issues driving enough ink to the nib at times but then recovers quickly.

FredRydr
January 4th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Aurora black

notsim
January 4th, 2021, 05:16 PM
I've had good luck with the mb egyptomania cobalt green ink, had no issues with sailor manyo haha either.

Ahriman4891
January 10th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Mine has been inked with KWZ Grapefruit, Sailor Souten, and KWZ Walk over Vistula. They all performed well. I generally prefer KWZ in "modern flex" pens. E.g. their Thief's Red has redeemed an Aurora Optima Flex for me.

agentdaffy007
March 5th, 2021, 10:01 PM
My first post, yay! I keep mine inked with MB Permanent Blue, MB Pop Pink (i love this ink), Sailor Sei-Boku (amazing ink, lovely color).

That's it. With the other inks, the pen writes too wet, and instead of having a nice EF line, I get an M line.

lsmith42
March 6th, 2021, 03:11 PM
MB Racing Green is always satisfying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adhoc
March 6th, 2021, 03:41 PM
My first post, yay! I keep mine inked with MB Permanent Blue, MB Pop Pink (i love this ink), Sailor Sei-Boku (amazing ink, lovely color).

That's it. With the other inks, the pen writes too wet, and instead of having a nice EF line, I get an M line.

Welcome to our small community!

agentdaffy007
March 7th, 2021, 12:02 AM
Thanks!

Welcome to our small community!

guyy
May 30th, 2021, 07:07 AM
Waterman Florida Blue: OK I had occasional railroading, but it was my first load of ink & i was just getting to know how the pen behaves. I like to use this ink on Rhodia paper with any pen that's new to me. My bottle is the old Florida Blue

Iroshizuku Shin Kai : Lots of bleed-through on Rhodia paper.

adhoc
May 30th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Aurora black

Just wanted to come back to this that after 4 months and 25 inks tested / bought specifically for this pen, Aurora Black turned out to be the best by a significant margin. Could have saved a lot of money and time if I just followed this advice :P

guyy
July 23rd, 2021, 03:23 PM
I’ve tried two more inks with my 149 Calligraphy: Herbin Rouille d’ancre and R&K Salix.

Rouille d’ancre is a bit light for most uses. I had some bleed through where the pen was flexed, on the dots on the letter I, and at the end of strokes. I used it mostly on Clairefontaine Seyes paper, but also tried some Mokeskine notebooks, Rhodia, TR & Fabriano Ingres. No issues with the Fabriano and just the usual see-through with Tomoegawa, but they’re not everyday papers. Otherwise, rouille d’ancre was well behaved. It rinsed out more easily than i expected. In sum, rouille d’ancre works OK but requires better paper. It may be most suited to final copies.

Salix works quite well on a greater variety of paper, even the notoriously bad ones like Moleskine. I think drier inks are the way to go with the 149 Calligraphy.