PDA

View Full Version : Does Montblanc repair vintage pens?

Baisao
January 20th, 2021, 02:01 PM
Does Montblanc (USA) repair vintage pens? There's a 1970s MB for sale rn now that was repaired by MB but I see that a lot of people seek non-MB repair technicians.

Turquoise
January 20th, 2021, 03:27 PM
I believe they do, however, the problem is not the repair, it’s the parts. Most larger pen manufacturers keep a stock of replacement parts for their various models, but not forever. I am guessing, though I don’t know for sure, that non-MB parts could probably be used to service or repair a MB, but would probably not be done so by MB repair people, which may account for folks seeking non-MB technicians.

fc2464
January 20th, 2021, 03:39 PM
My experience has been that when sending in a regular pen (ie not special such as writers ed.) they just replace any busted parts with current model parts.

For example, my old Meisterstuck 146 got a crack in the cap so I sent it to the Texas US service center and when I got it back, it had a new cap but it no longer said "No. 146" on the rings and was the current cap on what is now called the LeGrand.

If your concern is to preserve the vintage nature of the pen, don't send it to the Montblanc service center. I don't know if there is anyone that specializes in restoring the old Montblancs using period correct parts or not.

Good luck!

FC

Turquoise
January 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM
For example, my old Meisterstuck 146 got a crack in the cap so I sent it to the Texas US service center and when I got it back, it had a new cap but it no longer said "No. 146" on the rings and was the current cap on what is now called the LeGrand. FC

That would NOT make me happy!

Baisao
January 20th, 2021, 05:58 PM
Yikes!!!

Thanks for the tip!