PDA

View Full Version : Hey, any body wanna show off their car, truck or SUV?

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Here’s mine. 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scatpack Widebody Octane Red. I love this car. I keep my foot outta motor. Just knowing the power is there is good enough for me. It’s been years since my last high performance vehicle. I plan to baby this car, keep it in the garage and keep the mileage low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 08:11 PM
I can’t seem to upload any pics

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 08:15 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/3NseAxogtImyqK29wc/giphy.gif
Ok, let’s see if this uploads.

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 08:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210121/d9fca09f9ed32b0ac17f416d25ec463e.jpg

Jon Szanto
January 20th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Ok, I do feel compelled to share, and it's honest. Here's the story...

I got this 1974 Ford E-150 Econoline (stretch) van when I was just recently out of college, in 1978. It had been a fleet van for 4 years and it is just a box on wheels, the perfect object for a guy starting out a career as a drummer/percussionist. The photo is not too long ago, after it had been tagged in red spray paint along the 'good' side; the opposite side is where the water cascades and is rustier.

It is ugly, it is rusting badly, but until recently still ran without a fault. I've now got to decide whether to get a carb rebuild or just let it die a natural death. After all these years, so many moves and gigs and helping friends move, it is simply a hard thing to give up - it was paid for decades ago and costs almost nothing to insure and license. The only real downside is that I have a suspicion that it drives property values down, but the good part is you can see it from space.

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 09:04 PM
Yes, yes. I’m bragging, but I absolutely love this car and I want to show it off.

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 09:08 PM

I got this 1974 Ford E-150 Econoline (stretch) van when I was just recently out of college, in 1978. It had been a fleet van for 4 years and it is just a box on wheels, the perfect object for a guy starting out a career as a drummer/percussionist. The photo is not too long ago, after it had been tagged in red spray paint along the 'good' side; the opposite side is where the water cascades and is rustier.

It is ugly, it is rusting badly, but until recently still ran without a fault. I've now got to decide whether to get a carb rebuild or just let it die a natural death. After all these years, so many moves and gigs and helping friends move, it is simply a hard thing to give up - it was paid for decades ago and costs almost nothing to insure and license. The only real downside is that I have a suspicion that it drives property values down, but the good part is you can see it from space.

I can tell that it has significant personal value. I’m sure you don’t want to do a resto mod on it, so where do you go?

Jon Szanto
January 20th, 2021, 09:14 PM
I can tell that it has significant personal value. I’m sure you don’t want to do a resto mod on it, so where do you go?

It's a tough call. It was rebuilt a couple years ago and they didn't do a good job. It isn't running and endless calls have led to NO shops wanting to work on a vehicle this old, but I just got a recommend to a place that I'm going to check out tomorrow or Friday. Fingers crossed. I do need to make it run just to move it, or simply donate it for scrap.

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 09:27 PM
How do you about parking it in the back yard and go check out some dodge dealership websites, or Ford if that’s your preference. It just hate to see a post from you in which that beautiful drum set that would put a smile on Phils face wind out damaged

TAYLORPUPPY
January 20th, 2021, 09:41 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk this my wife, wearing her helmet when we were at an SRT track day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210121/b31f6d3e646f9e531df1f75de6f8d861.jpg

Wile E Coyote
January 21st, 2021, 04:46 AM

It's a tough call. It was rebuilt a couple years ago and they didn't do a good job. It isn't running and endless calls have led to NO shops wanting to work on a vehicle this old, but I just got a recommend to a place that I'm going to check out tomorrow or Friday. Fingers crossed. I do need to make it run just to move it, or simply donate it for scrap.

If you weren't 3,000 miles away...I so miss working on vehicles that don't have 100 computers.

My current ride has to be connected to a computer just to set the wheel alignment. Even has to connect to the manufacturer's server when the starting battery is changed or it keeps showing an error message.

Chuck Naill
January 21st, 2021, 06:12 AM

I gave my old pickup to the local public radio station through the Car Talk program.

An old bloke
January 21st, 2021, 10:28 AM
That was my experience this past weekend. What was nearly as bad, changing the battery requires disassembling and reassembling the air intake, air filter a number of internal trim panels at the firewall.

Wile E Coyote
January 21st, 2021, 01:10 PM
That was my experience this past weekend. What was nearly as bad, changing the battery requires disassembling and reassembling the air intake, air filter a number of internal trim panels at the firewall.

I didn't mention that the battery replacement required the trim panels and strut brace be removed or that even when they were removed that the battery had to be turned on its side to get it out. I was just really annoyed that the computer needed to be reset to recognize that the battery was changed. Luckily, I had a recall notice and the dealer reset it for free while it was in for the recall.

It doesn't even have a spare tire or jack. They want you to hit the on-call button and get towed in to fix a flat. Starting to miss the '69 Galaxy 500.

Ron Z
January 21st, 2021, 03:14 PM

If you weren't 3,000 miles away...I so miss working on vehicles that don't have 100 computers.

My current ride has to be connected to a computer just to set the wheel alignment. Even has to connect to the manufacturer's server when the starting battery is changed or it keeps showing an error message.

I'd like to know who the manufacturer is so that I don't buy their stuff.

An old bloke
January 21st, 2021, 04:27 PM

I'd like to know who the manufacturer is so that I don't buy their stuff.

In my case, BMW/MINI.

Fermata
January 22nd, 2021, 01:55 AM
I am not sure that if I miss the days when I could do everything on my cars or take comfort in the reliability of turbo charging, fuel injection and ECUs that work perfectly, until they don't.

penwash
January 25th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Truck?
Sure, here's my faithful 4Runner that is about to hit 200K.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50873709088_ae96af47e4_c.jpg

FredRydr
January 25th, 2021, 09:29 AM
I no longer have these two, but they have the best memories. Collecting such things took up a bit more space than collecting pens.

'40 Ford DeLuxe convertible and '63 Buick Riviera.

usk15
January 25th, 2021, 09:47 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/3JDDbdDn/IMG-20210122-105208606-HDR.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YhM9v2RW)

Yes, the 2006 Civic Hatchback is mine...

FredRydr
January 26th, 2021, 04:32 AM
The wife gets the new cars. As for me, my four-wheel-frivolities are in the past and utility is uppermost. I've put over 327,000mi/526,000km on this '07 Swiss-Army-knife of a car, and my mechanic's opinion is that so long as I continue my standard of care, I can go many more. When a colleague and I travel to pen shows, we always favor the Volvo instead of his Chevy Tahoe, because we can load the cargo area with our boxes of inventory full to the ceiling while still keeping fuel expense low. Without complaint, the 2.5L motor pulls loads of firewood across town or pairs of middleweight adventure bikes across the USA and Canada.

Bicycle rack on the back at Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Pennsylvania USA:

That's a riding buddy sitting on my trailer in Canyon City, Colorado USA, with my F800GS and his DL650:

Past that now and heading for 400,000 miles:

CrayonAngelss
January 26th, 2021, 04:59 AM

2018 VW Tiguan. Just got it! My long-awaited dream car.

christof
January 26th, 2021, 05:34 AM
This is my Montblanc truck:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50877622682_b0cc2dfab9_z.jpg

FredRydr
January 26th, 2021, 07:45 AM
This is my Montblanc truck....
Is that from the toy museum?

Ray-VIgo
January 26th, 2021, 08:00 AM
It's very, very difficult if you want a vehicle that avoids the "computer for everything" problem. I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler - hand crank windows, mechanical locks, basic stamped starter key, old-style gas flap, external hood straps, etc. The only thing automatic on it is the transmission so that my wife could drive it if need be (she never learned to drive a manual). About 3 years ago the TIPM computer unit died and it spent 2 weeks in the garage. We're talking a 13-year old vehicle that was the most basic, manual, low-tech vehicle of its time. Hopefully it's all sorted now. It's actually an enjoyable vehicle to drive, though it's on the slow side.

So I talked some to my mechanic. He's a good guy who runs his own independent garage. He said that because of a combination of safety and emissions controls, vehicles for at least the last 20 years have had rather complex computer units. It's not even a question of a 2007 vs 2020 vehicle, though the 2020 vehicle is even more complex. You'd have to go back at least to the 1990s, if not even farther, to reach the point that you have a car without a complex computer unit in it, at least in the U.S. 1990s sounds about right to me as well. I had a 1990 Jeep Wrangler quite a few years back and it was a comparatively simple vehicle. Whether it had a computer unit or not, I have no idea because it never acted up. I do know the vehicle was very simple by today's standards and I miss that simplicity. But my God, was that a slow vehicle with its 4 cylinder engine. I gave it to my nephews as a project once the body rust out.

christof
January 26th, 2021, 10:06 PM
This is my Montblanc truck....
Is that from the toy museum?

Yes.

christof
January 26th, 2021, 10:07 PM
double

Wile E Coyote
January 27th, 2021, 04:11 AM
It's all VW's fault. 1968 Bosch electronic fuel injection control unit:

https://www.chipsetc.com/uploads/1/2/4/4/1244189/1968-vw-volkswagen-fastback-squareback-car-and-computer_1_orig.jpg

To be fair, it's really the emissions and economy regulations that essentially required electronic control of the combustion process that necessitated the use of ECU's by the late '70s. They've become increasingly integrated into vehicles as consumers desired more performance and luxury. That along with the aforementioned economy/emissions and now safety regulations has gotten us to the point that even the most basic car has at least 20 discrete computer control units and high end luxury cars have well over 100.

In a current model Mercedes Benz (not to be confused with Mercedes Benz) there's a "black box" hidden in the car that records all of your driving. Read the manual carefully, and you'll see that by driving one is granting them permission to use the information in the case of an accident and provide that information to authorities. Yes, folks that's where we are in modern cars.

If you want to avoid computers in your car, to be safe, buy something pre-1968.

adhoc
February 11th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Here’s mine. 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scatpack Widebody Octane Red. I love this car. I keep my foot outta motor. Just knowing the power is there is good enough for me. It’s been years since my last high performance vehicle. I plan to baby this car, keep it in the garage and keep the mileage low.

Good plan on how to ruin a car.

I'm on my sixth BMW and I'm getting increasingly bored of them, and I really don't care about my car at all anymore. My next will probably be a Mazda. I want an atmospheric ICE and Mazda still does those.

Seattleite
February 13th, 2021, 05:13 PM
I no longer have these two, but they have the best memories. Collecting such things took up a bit more space than collecting pens.

'40 Ford DeLuxe convertible and '63 Buick Riviera.

401 Nailhead in that Riv? I had a 1964 Century Mahogany plank ski boat with a marine version of the Buick 401. Half ton of cast iron pushing a bundle of sticks along at 45 knots is a gas. Always thought a Riviera or Wildcat would have been a cool car to hook the trailer to. That Ford is just...art.

Bob

Christopher Evans
May 28th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Incredibly beautiful car! I am a fan of this kind of car and I hope that I will have one in the near future. At the moment I drive a 2018 Ford Focus. I really like the car, but because of my sloppy driving, I very often have chips on my windshield. The site https://www.carwindshields.info/ helped me a lot, where I read a lot of useful information about the repair of windshields.

Igraine
May 29th, 2021, 04:42 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/3JDDbdDn/IMG-20210122-105208606-HDR.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YhM9v2RW)

Yes, the 2006 Civic Hatchback is mine...

Haha, I was looking at the photo and thinking: Wow, Honda’s are really getting sporty looking!

I’m not a car person. I don’t give a rat’s behind about cars... but I’m now in the unfortunate position where I have to buy a new one. I’ve been in a 2008 Subaru for 10 years. I’d dread The whole process - wading through a half dozen salespeople, finding the right car, wheeling and dealing...ugh. The only thing I am exited about is how great the radio will be.

Wile E Coyote
May 29th, 2021, 05:10 AM
I’m not a car person. I don’t give a rat’s behind about cars... but I’m now in the unfortunate position where I have to buy a new one. I’ve been in a 2008 Subaru for 10 years. I’d dread The whole process - wading through a half dozen salespeople, finding the right car, wheeling and dealing...ugh. The only thing I am exited about is how great the radio will be.

I feel your pain. The whole car buying process is designed to wear you down in order to maximize the profits to the dealer. Just make sure you start the process before you NEED a car. Go in, decide on a reasonable price, then when they say they can't do that or add all the after sale BS costs, walk away. If you truly made a decent reasonable offer they WILL call you back in and take your offer. It might take a few days to weeks, but it will happen. Unless it's a limited production model, which doesn't sound like it's the case for you.

guyy
May 29th, 2021, 08:15 AM
Some favorite rides of my youth

https://i.imgur.com/B5KYViG.png

https://i.imgur.com/fNUKUbW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uIEboqJ.jpg

and my current ride. My car is the back one going towards Queens and the front going home to Bay Ridge. Every New Yorker says their line is the worst, but the R really is!

https://i.imgur.com/pC5dvS1.jpg

FredRydr
May 29th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Some favorite rides of my youth...
I like vintage pens. Likewise, I like the vintage rides of my youth:

Norristown to Philadelphia "Philadelphia & Western" high speed line, the last interurban line in the USA. 1931 Brill Bullet cars (top) as I first rode them as a kid in the '50s and '60s, and the same car now (bottom) in a museum in Rockhill Furnace, PA (still in it's ugly SEPTA paint job):

Igraine
May 29th, 2021, 09:13 AM
Some favorite rides of my youth...
I like vintage pens. Likewise, I like the vintage rides of my youth:

Norristown to Philadelphia "Philadelphia & Western" high speed line, the last interurban line in the USA. 1931 Brill Bullet cars (top) as I first rode them as a kid in the '50s and '60s, and the same car now (bottom) in a museum in Rockhill Furnace, PA (still in it's ugly SEPTA paint job):

I used to commute into Phila on Patco. Get up, get ready for work, get in the car, drive half hour to station, get out of the car, get on train, get off train...repeat the whole process at 5p. If it wasn’t for the horrific traffic, it would be easier to just drive in.

Detman101
June 30th, 2021, 06:28 AM
"2021 Subaru Forester Sport"
My first "New Car"
My first "SUV"
And....My "dream-car" <3

Painted the "look at me/town whore" stripes on the trim and roof rack bits camo green and personalized the hood.
Hate my vehicle looking exactly like 10,000 others on the road...

Chip
July 22nd, 2021, 10:52 PM
We've got a 2000 Honda Insight, the first hybrid to hit the US market. It gets 60 mpg. The electric boost gives it strong acceleration for motorway driving, passing etc.
http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/14/503814/001.jpg

For 21 years it's run like a top. Replaced the motor assist battery five years ago, for about $3k. It's saved us more than that in fuel costs.

Scooby921
August 2nd, 2021, 10:05 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk this my wife, wearing her helmet when we were at an SRT track day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210121/b31f6d3e646f9e531df1f75de6f8d861.jpg

This makes me happy. As an automotive enthusiast I love to see people out enjoying their cars. As an organizer and instructor at high performance driving events it makes me every happier to see people learning to drive better and use the "performance" portion of their performance cars.

I don't have a current "toy" to share :(. Previous toys were a '16 Porsche Cayman GTS and then a '91 Mazda Miata with a Corvette LS1 putting ~450hp to the wheels. Currently very blessed to have wonderful friends as I get to borrow an '18 BMW M3 CS and '17 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE from my fellow organizers / instructors at the track. My daily driver is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.