PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc jfk question

penmainiac
January 23rd, 2021, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone, I’ve just bought a MB JFK for $200 and at that price I expected it to have a few damages. The nib and piston still work superbly but it seems then previous owner has tried to remove an engraving, unsuccessfully. Does anyone have any advice on to get restored or fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lsmith42
January 23rd, 2021, 11:11 PM
At that price... a trip to the boutique is in order. They can get it taken care of.

Chrissy
January 24th, 2021, 12:47 AM
At that price... a trip to the boutique is in order. They can get it taken care of.

At that price I would agree that you get it fixed by Montblanc. If the engraving is on the cap then it will probably need a new cap.

Fermata
January 24th, 2021, 03:47 AM
The last MB I bought with a personalisation had it done on the clip, the MB boutique replaced the clip and did so whilst I waited, wasn't expensive either.

penmainiac
January 24th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Hm okay, do you know how much it will cost at a boutique to get it replaced?

Fermata
January 24th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Is the engraving on the clip?

I was charged £25, I had just spent a load of money so I don't know if that was a favour or not.

Chrissy
January 24th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Hm okay, do you know how much it will cost at a boutique to get it replaced?

Ask either the boutique or Montblanc. :) Of course your pen is a LE version so having a spare clip knocking around at a boutique is probably less likely so it will probably have to go to Texas at least maybe even Hamburg.

penmainiac
January 24th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Whoops looks like the picture I originally tried to post did not work, the engraving was not on the clip and its really a mess, I’ll probably have to get a new cap. Here is the terrible state of the pen[emoji17]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210124/f222bbc433f761447452ccd63b40b8c2.jpg

Chrissy
January 24th, 2021, 11:35 PM
Ouch. Why would anyone make such a mess of a cap like that? :( I don't like personalisation on my pens but it couldn't have looked worse than that. :(

That would need a new cap and Montblanc Hamburg may be the only place to get one. However, you might be on slightly dodgy ground because, technically, the cap still "works" as a cap and they used to only replace parts that need replacing in order for normal function. i.e. If it was cracked then they would absolutely replace it. Just being mangled might not be a 100% valid reason for them to offer a replacement. (Bear that in mind before you ask.)

If it was me I wouldn't have bought the pen but if I was stuck with it I would buy a new cap. :)

Wile E Coyote
January 25th, 2021, 03:59 AM
Ouch. Why would anyone make such a mess of a cap like that? I don't like personalisation on my pens but it couldn't have looked worse than that.

Maybe the personalization was evidential?

Chrissy
January 25th, 2021, 04:09 AM
Ouch. Why would anyone make such a mess of a cap like that? I don't like personalisation on my pens but it couldn't have looked worse than that.

Could have been :) An Ex husband/wife/partner/ etc. maybe?

Wile E Coyote
January 25th, 2021, 07:07 AM

Could have been :) An Ex husband/wife/partner/ etc. maybe?

I considered that, but why ruin the value before selling? If it were to spite your ex, you would probably just completely destroy it. If you paid $0, then the $200 is pure profit and there's no tracing it.