PDA

View Full Version : J. Herbin Rouge Hematite

firstpancake
July 19th, 2013, 01:22 AM
I've got a review of J. Herbin Rouge Hematite up on my new blog http://nibcrease.wordpress.com
Here's the handwritten portion :)

Don't mind the extra smudges on the layering example, the page caught the corner of a wet paper towel there.
(click to see the super big version)

4028 (http://nibcrease.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/p1020128.jpg)

Jeph
July 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
That is a nice looking ink. Thank you for the review.

fountainpenkid
July 28th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I love the colors of R.H but the smudging is HORRIBLE with a wet nib.

firstpancake
July 29th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I just ran my hand over some writing in Rouge Hematite from a flex nib, and yeah, that's some horrible smudging even after it seems the ink has dried.

cedargirl
July 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I'm trying this ink now and it isn't exciting me.
I as expecting more of the greeny tinges as you see in the Goulet's swatch, but my sample seems to be straight red. Does anyone get this effect?
And I agree with the smudging.

Honey Mustard
July 30th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I as expecting more of the greeny tinges as you see in the Goulet's swatch, but my sample seems to be straight red. Does anyone get this effect?

I'm pretty sure they took the gold out of newer bottles. Apparently people were complaining of clogging.

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I'm pretty sure they took the gold out of newer bottles.

I can think of somebody who's going to be very upset about that. Better, surely, for Herbin to be upfront about any potential problems and retain a distinctive flagship product.

velo
July 30th, 2013, 06:15 AM

I'm moving towards broad and italic nibs. Do you think it's worth a sample at least? It just looks like an interesting ink.

fountainpenkid
July 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM

I'm moving towards broad and italic nibs. Do you think it's worth a sample at least? It just looks like an interesting ink.

The original formula, yes! Very fun, especially a little diluted. But if what people are saying is true, and they took the gold out, then I don't know, it might not be so special anymore.

fountainpenkid
July 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Maybe your bottle isn't shaken enough, or your nib is very dry.

velo
July 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM

The original formula, yes! Very fun, especially a little diluted. But if what people are saying is true, and they took the gold out, then I don't know, it might not be so special anymore.

It definitely needs the gold. The contrast is the point of interest.

I'll try it out it'll only cost me a sample.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM
The gold is very cool. However, I agree about the clogging. That was a huge issue for me. The regular fountain pens also didn't show the gold real well after the first day or two. I think it got caught in the fins maybe?

I like the ink with a glass pen, but that limits its use for me. As to smudging, I really didn't notice it, but I also use some other slow drying inks.

KrazyIvan
July 30th, 2013, 09:59 AM
The gold sediment is the only reason I refuse to try my sample of the ink. Yeah, I could put it in a pen that I can take apart completely (ie Ahab, Konrad) but I don't use BSB for a similar reason. I don't have time for the pen hygiene level required to maintain the ink/pen.

velo
July 30th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Okay maybe not then.

firstpancake
July 30th, 2013, 02:19 PM
It definitely doesn't have the same sparkle now, but have you tried shaking the bottle up? it might help a bit. Here's what mine looked like before shaking:

http://nibcrease.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/p1020135.jpg?w=500&h=333 (http://nibcrease.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/p1020135.jpg)

It doesn't look as gilt as the original formulation, but I like Ed Jelley's (http://edjelley.com/2013/02/11/j-herbin-1670-rouge-hematite-handwritten-review/) interpretation of the "Hematite" in Rouge Hematite, that it's more like blood, complete with the rich look of iron, than red/gold.

firstpancake
July 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM

The greeny tinges show up with the ink is laid down super wet, like out of something with a flex nib. I also found it helps to occasionally shake the pen as you write, or if it's been sitting on a table for a few minutes to get the sediment back on and flowing again. The nib I used in this review writes on the dry side, and suddenly wets up at the end of a down-stroke. That's why you can only see the green at the ends of tall letters. The green also plays in the light so it looks more dynamic than what shows up in the pic.

cedargirl
July 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM

I'm pretty sure they took the gold out of newer bottles. Apparently people were complaining of clogging.

That's a great shame. Maybe the sellers need to mention this and/or change their swabs/swatches.

I agree - nothing special at all. This has been an ink on my must try list for ages - but I've left it too late.

firstpancake
July 30th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'm curious, there doesn't seem to be any reports of this clogging problem with R&H's Alt Goldgrun, which also has shades of gold in it. I wonder how they're getting this effect without the clogging problems associated with Rouge hematite?

Marsilius
August 6th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the nice review. I have a bottle of Rouge Hematite, and generally feel about it the way I used to about that kid next door who always made perfect model planes. No matter how much I tried, I could never get them just right, but his were always flawless.
I see nice samples of the gold tinge, but have seldom gotten it, despite shaking the bottle, saying magic spells, holding my breath, and . . . oh yes, trying different pens. I think I got some gold sheen once or twice.
But it sure looks nice whenever I see it!

fountainpenkid
August 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'm curious, there doesn't seem to be any reports of this clogging problem with R&H's Alt Goldgrun, which also has shades of gold in it. I wonder how they're getting this effect without the clogging problems associated with Rouge hematite?
From my experience with the ink, it doesn't have a gold sheen, but a gold color. Therefore the clogging wouldn't be an issue for that reason.

cybaea
August 8th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I'm pretty sure they took the gold out of newer bottles.

I can think of somebody who's going to be very upset about that. Better, surely, for Herbin to be upfront about any potential problems and retain a distinctive flagship product.

They did take out the gold: https://fivecatpenagerie.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/re-rouge-hematites-sheeny-golden-bits/ has the scoop from J Herbin.

Yes, we had to take the gold like die out of the formula as it had a tendency to thicken too fast and there was a danger of clogging some fountain pens.
I’m very sorry.

Some people like the change, some hate it. If you liked the old version get your dusty bottles from your retailers while stocks last.

cwent2
August 24th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Received my bottle yesterday 24 Aug 13 - Just a very bright RED - no sheen, or any other color present. I have a red/green deficiency so any other color would show through loud and clear and if anything the red would look diminished - nope RED

earthdawn
August 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Received my bottle yesterday 24 Aug 13 - Just a very bright RED - no sheen, or any other color present. I have a red/green deficiency so any other color would show through loud and clear and if anything the red would look diminished - nope RED

Did you get the new version or the old ?

cwent2
August 24th, 2013, 11:53 PM

Did you get the new version or the old ?

I can only assume that I got the new version - no trace of sediment on the bottom of the bottle, and I have no other way to tell the difference - there was a warning label on the outside of the box about saturation and not leaving it in the pen - hence it is in a nib creaper

mhphoto
August 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
It's very sad that they've devolved an extraordinary ink into an ordinary ink. The haters of RH had plenty of other reds to go to. The lovers of RH have no alternative. A bunch of whiners who don't know good pen hygiene killed my favorite ink, that's what's most frustrating.

Jon Szanto
August 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM
It's very sad that they've devolved an extraordinary ink into an ordinary ink. The haters of RH had plenty of other reds to go to. The lovers of RH have no alternative. A bunch of whiners who don't know good pen hygiene killed my favorite ink, that's what's most frustrating.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/resource/qft.jpg

AndyT
August 26th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Spot on, and I didn't even get to try it. Hope Diamine don't get similar ideas about Majestic Blue.

betweenthelens
September 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I just bought a bottle from isellpens.com (great service) and inked my Bayard LE4 with it. I've written a four page letter, in my journal and a grocery list and the ink shows the gold-green tint throughout my writing. Once the pen has exhausted this fill, I'll thoroughly flush it. It has a very flex-y nib so it's a pleasure to use with this ink.

dobemom
September 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I actually had a problem with R&H Alt Goldgrun in one of my pens, a Pelikan MK10. It's not normally a dry writer, but it skipped something awful with that particular ink. I cleaned it repeatedly to no avail. I've used it in just about every other pen I have with no problems at all. I never thought I'd fall in love with a green ink, but the beautifully organic color of Alt Goldgrun has me hooked.

nomadhacker
September 22nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Herbin has indeed reformulated the Rouge Hematite ink to be less...well, what they call less dangerous to pens, and what I call less interesting :) I did email them about it, and the reply I got back they said they were looking at probably re-introducing the original formula as a non-fountain pen ink or else as a different ink with special badging to indicate the risks.

mhphoto
September 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Herbin has indeed reformulated the Rouge Hematite ink to be less...well, what they call less dangerous to pens, and what I call less interesting :) I did email them about it, and the reply I got back they said they were looking at probably re-introducing the original formula as a non-fountain pen ink or else as a different ink with special badging to indicate the risks.

If they did this I would be a very happy person.

sugiarto
January 24th, 2014, 07:50 AM
I emailed J Herbin and got a reply (on early December) stating that they will re-introduce the original formula of the Rouge Hematite at the beginning of 2014.

VertOlive
January 25th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I was able to buy a bottle of the original ink from another fountain pen user. Really looking forward to trying it since I even loved the sample of the new stuff I used on my Christmas cards

velo
July 17th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Anyone bought a recent bottle? Is it back to the original formula?

Jon Szanto
July 17th, 2014, 01:53 AM

Yes. And, no, it will never even approximate the original. There is a thread on FPN about this, but the amount of 'gold' in the 3rd formulation is a pale version of the original. It isn't remotely the same, and only marginally better than the 2nd version.

Austin_Malone
July 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
This one reminds me a bit of Noodler's X-Feather. It smudges even days after ''drying'' out from flex writing. Also it is very aggressive and leaves a film on every surface it touches, even insides of pens. I had a sample for a while but I didn't appreciate the inconsistency between different papers. Sometimes it was gold/green and sometimes that beautiful red. In general I think Diamine has a bit of an edge over Herbin; they are more saturated, bleed less, and have a wider selection of colors and varying properties.

Austin_Malone
July 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I do have a few neat colors from J. Herbin though.

velo
July 17th, 2014, 11:31 PM

Yes. And, no, it will never even approximate the original. There is a thread on FPN about this, but the amount of 'gold' in the 3rd formulation is a pale version of the original. It isn't remotely the same, and only marginally better than the 2nd version.

That's a shame. Thanks.

FayeV
July 28th, 2014, 01:40 AM
I purchased a bottle in May 2014, haven't opened it yet. Is there any way to determine which version I have?

bullshark
July 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I purchased a bottle in May 2014, haven't opened it yet. Is there any way to determine which version I have?Yeah, just look at the bottom of the bottle, if there is a golden deposit then it is the older version.