PDA

View Full Version : Never dreamed so many collectors

Sidla
February 14th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Found this fascinating site Fountain Pen Geeks while searching value of old pens as have some to sell. Is there a guide to help me with what to ask dollar wise on the site or should I be on pens for sale and ask for offers?

An old bloke
February 14th, 2021, 02:26 PM
My suggestion is what you've probably done already. That is to do a search for the same or similar pens for sale and see what prices are being asked and paid.

jar
February 14th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. There is no fountain pen price guide.

Ole Juul
February 14th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. :) I hope you keep some pens and start enjoying them. Most of us are here because we use them. In fact not everybody is a collector as such.

When you compare prices of vintage pens, keep in mind that vintage pen vendors typically sell fully restored pens. People want pens to write with, so if it's not restored it's not worth nearly as much. You can google the cost of restoration.

jar
February 14th, 2021, 04:02 PM
Several things to consider.

First is an accurate description of each pen. If you're not sure post clear pictures showing details and someone can likely help you with the description.

Second, lots of very sharp pictures of each individual pen showing any damage, markings, cap, nib, feed are essential.

Third, information about the condition of the pen.

Finally, anything you know about the history of each pen.

amk
February 15th, 2021, 01:54 AM
And also, nibs are important. If you have a pen with a really fat nib that writes a very thick line, or an italic, or a nib that flexes (meaning you can push down just a bit harder and the line it writes will widen - don't push too far!) - those are always more interesting and may fetch more than the same pen with a hard medium nib.

So a writing sample is always useful.

Wahl
February 15th, 2021, 10:31 AM
:welcome:

jbb
February 15th, 2021, 04:44 PM
Welcome. Have you posted pictures of the pens you have to sell yet? You're sure to get lots of opinions as to their value.

Bisquitlips
February 22nd, 2021, 11:14 AM
Welcome! Glad you are with us!

:welcome: