PDA

View Full Version : Camlin Shootout

subramaniyam
July 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hi all,

This is my first review so I promise I will improve. I had typed this review on an excel sheet but couldnt find out a way to import it here, so I am attaching it as images. Please excuse me for the inconvenience. I am sorry for not posting the size and weight, as my scale is acting up. I will post this information in this thread as soon as i get it fixed.

General information:

All these pens are daily users. I regularly sketch with them, so I have posted my honest personal opinion.

EDs can be notorious for leaking ink from the breather hole on the cap, but I have not encountered this problem with Camlin yet.

Silicone grease will need to be used to stop leakage from the barrel. I found this problem only with the Camlin 22 which has an acrylic window that is harmed by stress fissures. Other pens just 'took a lickin' and just kept tickin'. :-)

Camlins come with nibs that may feel like nails, but they can be really smooth. There is absolutely NO semblance of flex in any nib.

I will be glad to answer any questions you have. Since this is my first review, kindly bear with the n00bish approach.

4046404540474049The pens (from L-R)

Cute, Mini, 22R, 4R, 18, 2(not in review), Trinity

Regards,
Sub

subramaniyam
July 20th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Oh I'm so sorry mods for posting in the wrong section. I request you to move it to the pen reviews section.

Regards,
Subramaniyam

hari317
July 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Nice review Subbu. Intrigued by the 18.

Shocked to see the crude Kokuyo camlin engraving on the Trinity's clip, on previous versions it was clean.

subramaniyam
July 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Hari,

I guess my photo skills are to blame here: the engraving is quite clean. In fact the quality of nibs has also improved now.. :-)

Regards,
Subbu

Tony Rex
July 30th, 2013, 09:12 PM
And now I have on me the Trinity. Thanks Sub! It's a lovely pen, currently having a bath and later to be inked with iroshizuku fuyu gaki.

Not bad at all.

Edit: here's a pic with my old kokuyo notebook with built in pen holder.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/9407207674_1887ece2c8.jpg

T

cedargirl
July 31st, 2013, 02:42 AM
I have the 22R in blue. It was my first eyedropper. I haven't experienced any cracking issues, but it hasn't seen much use. Last time I tried it it burped ink everywhere.
But that was before I learnt that you have to keep them more than 1/3rd full if they are prone to this.

I must dig it out and try it again. It has a very large ink view window. Nice.

Thanks for posting.

cedargirl
July 31st, 2013, 02:43 AM
Aaah. That's how double posts happen. Sorry.

subramaniyam
August 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm glad you like it. :-)

Mesu
August 3rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Very nice review and the comparison table is a great idea.

Camlin Trinity is my favorite pen of the Camlin family.