PDA

View Full Version : esterbrook model A

oldfarmroad
February 15th, 2021, 08:25 PM
I recently inherited my gggrandfather's esterbrook. My online research leads me to believe it is an early dollar and a half pen. It's a beautiful dark green marble. 4 3/8 inch long. Flat bottom and top. No jewels.
While attempting to install a new ink sac I broke the section piece. (rookie mistake).
For sentimental reasons I really want to restore it for my personal use but have not had any luck on ebay finding a replacement section piece.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pajaro
February 16th, 2021, 12:36 AM
I don't think I had any luck finding Esterbrook sections for sale. The few sections I have came from donor pens, and these were J-series pens that had been ruined, the barrels being cracked or broken beyond repair, yielding spare parts. I used most of these.

oldfarmroad
February 16th, 2021, 05:58 AM
I purchased one off ebay in hopes of harvesting the section to use with my pen, but it was too large diameter. This was before I realized that there are many models and sizes.
The one I have is the shortest and slimmest model that I've seen on ebay. There are a few complete pens available but I hate to pay $60-100 just to get a section.
Thanks for your response

Farmboy
February 16th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Sections are best test fit when repairing to avoid getting one that isn't a good fit.

That said an Esterbrook section fits in the 'mostly postage' category of parts. I'd guess the going rate to be $10 or so.

pajaro
February 16th, 2021, 09:39 PM
There is a book, "The Fountain Pens Of Esterbrook" by Paui Hoban. It has a lot of information and pictures, and is a great resource, if you can find one, and can clarify which model is which.

Jon Szanto
February 16th, 2021, 09:54 PM
You don't necessarily have to look around for the book, as Brian Anderson's excellent Esterbrook site (http://www.esterbrook.net/index.shtml) is always available and one should be able to nail down the ID on this pen there. Look for the "Dollar" series menu entry on the left.

If the OP will send me a private message, I may be able to help with a section, pending just a moment of discussion and measurements.

pajaro
February 16th, 2021, 10:36 PM
Of course you don't have to buy the book. However it is not a bad thing to have. You might enjoy it. I don't think it cost me much, and I still enjoy it and the pictures. Literature is useful to collectors of anything. You can also rely mainly on web sites. A chac'un son gout.

Jon Szanto
February 16th, 2021, 10:43 PM
Of course you don't have to buy the book.

Ok, indeed, indeed! I only meant the resource if the OP needed a fairly quick place to check ID of the pen, gather information, etc. Books are great, it's just that it would take a bit of time to get their hands on it, whereas you can dial up the site immediately. That's all.

Farmboy
February 17th, 2021, 07:47 AM
I believe Paul said he finally ran out of copies.

corgicoupe
February 17th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Paul told me the same thing. I'm so glad I got one before that happened.

Ole Juul
February 17th, 2021, 11:41 AM
No need for hearsay or guessing. It says on his web site that it's sold out. :) Maybe there are used copies somewhere though.

pajaro
February 17th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Sorry I suggested iit if they are unobtanium. I don't feel like selling mine, but I'm 72 and it might come on the market.

oldfarmroad
February 18th, 2021, 08:24 AM
Many thanks to Jon on this thread for trying to help out. Further research has me believing my Esterbrook is a model AQ or possibly AR.
The inside diameter of the barrel is approx 7.7 mm and the length of the barrel is 7 cm.
If anyone has a lead on a donor pen please let me know.
I'm on a quest. lol. I WILL one day write with my Gggrandfather's pen!

FredRydr
February 18th, 2021, 12:47 PM
If you have the broken pieces for a pattern, have a penmeister turn a replacement section so that you may restore your heirloom to its former glory.

oldfarmroad
February 18th, 2021, 02:20 PM
If you have the broken pieces for a pattern, have a penmeister turn a replacement section so that you may restore your heirloom to its former glory.

Alas, in my frustration I pitched it out. Rookie mistake #2. Appreciate the advice!

Farmboy
February 18th, 2021, 06:40 PM
There is no shortage of any type of Esterbrook section. Problem is you kind of need the box of sections and the barrel to get in the same place to get a good fit.

I stopped selling parts like this because I heard “ your part doesn’t fit my pen” to often and then we had to sort out refunds. Just once I wanted to hear my pen didn’t fit your part.

oldfarmroad
February 18th, 2021, 08:23 PM
Hearing that is actually encouraging news.
I'm open to suggestions

Jim

Farmboy
February 18th, 2021, 09:24 PM
Your pen would be an A. The Dollar pens were B (full size), A (slender) and H (Demi). The second letter was the color.

oldfarmroad
March 4th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Good news! I fulfilled my dream of fully restoring my gggrandfathers esterbrook model A slim.
Many thanks to jkll on eBay, and to others here.
I'm still left with a question regarding the true year/ model of mine.
The one I bought for parts was listed as a model A slim.
Very thankful that the section piece of this fit my pen perfectly.

My question evolves from when compared side to side and measured, my pen is 11 cm long sheen capped, the other (donor model a A slim is 12.5 cm.
I have yet to find another Esterbrook of this short length.
There haven't been any aftermarket "repairs" or alterations.

I love how my restored pen writes. The 2556 nib is silk smooth. It's almost like writing on glass.
It's almost magical to put pen to paper and see your thoughts magically appear.

Farmboy
March 4th, 2021, 11:12 AM
An A (Slender) and an H (Demi) are the same diameter, the H being shorter than the A. An A (Slender) and a B (Full size) were the same length with the B being larger in diameter.

Jon Szanto
March 4th, 2021, 12:09 PM
An A (Slender) and an H (Demi) are the same diameter, the H being shorter than the A. An A (Slender) and a B (Full size) were the same length with the B being larger in diameter.

Question: were there model designations C through G, or were they just f***ing with us?

mizgeorge
March 4th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Good news! I fulfilled my dream of fully restoring my gggrandfathers esterbrook model A slim.

I love how my restored pen writes. The 2556 nib is silk smooth. It's almost like writing on glass.

I'm so pleased it all worked out for you - vintage pens ae fantastic to use, but there's something even more special when there's a real connection with them. Every time you use it, you'll be able to think of all the words it's written before. Many of them by your own family members.

Farmboy
March 4th, 2021, 03:28 PM

Question: were there model designations C through G, or were they just f***ing with us?

Esterbrook was a maniacal genius. He skipped those few letters until later so completist collectors could could debate why and OCD sorters would forever need two complete sets to organize chronologically and alphabetically.

oldfarmroad
March 4th, 2021, 07:44 PM

I'm so pleased it all worked out for you - vintage pens ae fantastic to use, but there's something even more special when there's a real connection with them. Every time you use it, you'll be able to think of all the words it's written before. Many of them by your own family members.

indeed my friend, indeed.
Jim

oldfarmroad
March 4th, 2021, 07:47 PM

Esterbrook was a maniacal genius. He skipped those few letters until later so completist collectors could could debate why and OCD sorters would forever need two complete sets to organize chronologically and alphabetically.

Well Farmboy, that made me laugh and also soothed my frustration all at the same time...Thanks
Jim

Jon Szanto
March 4th, 2021, 08:02 PM

Well done, congratulations! Not many things more precious than a piece with family provenance. I hope you enjoy it for decades to come.

oldfarmroad
March 4th, 2021, 08:21 PM

Well done, congratulations! Not many things more precious than a piece with family provenance. I hope you enjoy it for decades to come.

JS- it's the simple things that give the most lasting pleasure at the end of the day.
Thanks.
Jim

corgicoupe
March 6th, 2021, 07:17 AM
Three winners: it's a family heirloom, it's an Esterbrook, & it's repaired.

oldfarmroad
March 6th, 2021, 07:59 AM
yep!