PDA

View Full Version : Visconti

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

CapeClear
June 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping to place an order for my first Visconti tomorrow, an Opera Crystal Demonstrator with a stub nib. I don't live anywhere near a Visconti dealer but I will be working in D.C. during the pen show and hope to attend. My only experience of writing with a Visconti was this passed weekend (F nib) and I was just going to order the pen online.

My query is would I be better off waiting until the DC pen show to purchase the Opera in person and try out the nib? The vast majority of my pens are stub nibs so I am fully versed in their operation. Should I expect the stub nib to work well straight out of the box? Also does anyone have any negative experiences with this pen? I fell in love with it over the weekend but I'm afraid the instant attraction is blurring my senses!

Tracy Lee
June 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hi CapeClear, I am by no means an expert but I can offer my experience for your consideration as just one perspective. I bought the blue typhoon with a stub nib, and the stub is a 1.3. Unlike other Visconti, the nib unscrews and comes right out, and the feed slides out of the tubular nib. Putting it back together and getting things lined up is important and definitely effects the ink flow. It holds a ton of ink, fills quickly, but I have had some flow issues with the pen that I attributed to fussing with the nib pieces, and partly ink choices. Private reserve gave me grief but Visconti ink and Iroshizuku work pretty well. But maybe that goes to a nib adjust? My sense is that it was a bit of both. On occasion I have found that unscrewing, by just one or two turns, the filling mechanism at the end (don't pull) allows some air flow to facilitate the flow but again, that was just with Private Reserve.

Those quirks aside, once resolved, the pen writes beautifully and has a heft to it that I like but others may not. It posts, which I prefer, but that becomes a very long pen. Capped it is bigger than the other Opera pens. But the weight is evenly distributed and the nib is smooth, reminiscent of the dream touch on my HS Bronze, yet still its own feel on the page. The nib is upturned at the end.

The mosquito attachment borders on the ridiculous. It is totally unnecessary for most bottles of ink, and creates one more thing you need to flush and clean for no reason. It fits very snug around the nib, and twice I struggled to pull it off without twisting, which unscrews the nib and creates another mess. I see its utility for poorly designed bottles (J Herbin comes to mind) or virtually empty bottles, but not otherwise. It's a neat gizmo, but honestly just not needed.

I think you could find a good price at the pen show, so if you will be there I say that seems like a good idea. I bought mine from a seller on EBay, and with no shipping costs (it shipped directly from the US distributor, Coles of London, in North Carolina) I paid $539 US. At the time, Fountain Pen Hospital was about $12 more plus a shipping fee of $12 or $15. Plus, you would be able to hold and see how it feels to you.

My two cents. Bogon07 - you and I have been talking about this so chime in if you think I left anything out. Also, Bogon07 has a Typhoon on the way so soon he might have some additional thoughts to add with his own experiences.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. I would like to have the Crystal too, just not ready to do that yet.

Bogon07
June 5th, 2013, 06:27 PM
TracyLee & CapeClear this is the thread over at FPN with a discussion about the Typhoon. Most of the more experienced people involved appear to think the problems maybe due to a new user not fully understanding the working of the double reservoir filler. I found posts #6 & #7 useful.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/246200-visconti-frustrations/

Late last night I did loosen the knob and leave it loosened on the RM Dante's Chianti demo and with no background can hear the ink going into the little reservoir. Improved the flow from the nib.

john
June 5th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Tracy, it means that the design of the mosquito syringe sucks:( It was made only for the Visconti ink well:)

Tracy Lee
June 5th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Double reservoirs can be difficult to get the hang of, but this was not my first one so that part caused me no issues. Thanks for posting that link, though. So you got your Typhoon?

Tracy Lee
June 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Oh , no, you said the RM. Sorry. I have never had to loosen the filler on my ripple, so far, and I write until I drain the small reservoir before I fill from the big one. Has never given me an ounce of issue, so there is sure some inconsistency from model to model. Quirky little things, these doubles.

john
June 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM
TracyLee & CapeClear this is the thread over at FPN with a discussion about the Typhoon. Most of the more experienced people involved appear to think the problems maybe due to a new user not fully understanding the working of the double reservoir filler. I found posts #6 & #7 useful.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/246200-visconti-frustrations/

Late last night I did loosen the knob and leave it loosened on the RM Dante's Chianti demo and with no background can hear the ink going into the little reservoir. Improved the flow from the nib.I think that if you close the end cap in using double reservoir is very trouble. It should be like the Pilot 823 or Twsbi vac700, have to loosen the end cap for letting the ink flow freely if you want to write for a long time.

Bogon07
June 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Here is a video of the Double Reservoir from the group of them that PeterPen53 originally referred to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SbxTkt6faM

Bogon07
June 5th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Tracy, it means that the design of the mosquito syringe sucks:( It was made only for the Visconti ink well:)
Ha good one, was that an intentional pun ?
I think the idea was being a big pen the section maynot fit into the neck of some ink bottles and the long needle was to over come this potential problem. Unfortunately it seems some of the detail was not thought through.
However for mad scientist potential it is unequalled - should be fun to pull it out during a meeting and fill up the pen with it. :)

KENMC -"Anyone see the new Visconti on the cover of the latest PW magazine? OMG! "
Is it a good OMG or a bad OMG ?

Tracy Lee
June 5th, 2013, 07:11 PM

It is super unimpressive. For awkward bottles, I would rather use an ink pot to fill and avoid this sucker.

CapeClear
June 5th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Tracy Lee thank you kindly for that reply, it is much appreciated. It gives me much food for thought. I've admired Viscontis from afar for a long time but I have little to no knowledge on them so your advice is helpful. The savings in the US are fairly substantial* but a nagging part of me wants to support a European supplier! Nonetheless I think you are correct in saying I should give it a proper test drive in person so I'll try and force myself into holding out for the DC show.

*so substantial that I have found myself this evening trying to justify an Opera Crystal and a HS because it would be such a good deal! /penaddict :o

Tracy Lee
June 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Glad it was helpful. I cannot recommend the HS Bronze highly enough. No reservations at all for that one. It never leaves my daily carry, and is used more often than not. We have a gentle love affair, that one and I. :)

Raysclim
June 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM
I have a rembantl, van Gogh starry night, millennium amber and van Gogh Maxi crystal. Would HS bronze give me a total new experience with the dream touch nib? Especially the F nib.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tandaina
June 6th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Well... I've wanted a Vistonti... Pulled the trigger on a Ragtime 20th Anniversary Edition from Pentime. Very nervous about it. Went with it because it is a piston filler and I'm a German Piston-fill pen collector at heart. Figured I shouldn't hobble my first Italian pen with a converter (which I find meh). So fingers crossed that I like it when it arrives... Thought about a HS but wanted some COLOR since many of my German pens are professional black. ;)

Tracy Lee
June 6th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I have a rembantl, van Gogh starry night, millennium amber and van Gogh Maxi crystal. Would HS bronze give me a total new experience with the dream touch nib? Especially the F nib.

Oh YES!!! Very different experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

john
June 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Well... I've wanted a Vistonti... Pulled the trigger on a Ragtime 20th Anniversary Edition from Pentime. Very nervous about it. Went with it because it is a piston filler and I'm a German Piston-fill pen collector at heart. Figured I shouldn't hobble my first Italian pen with a converter (which I find meh). So fingers crossed that I like it when it arrives... Thought about a HS but wanted some COLOR since many of my German pens are professional black. ;)The colour of Visconti will never let you down. Once you like it, will be addicted to it. Cos every pen collector should have the professional BLACK.

john
June 6th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaDream touch nib is different from the steel or gold nib. It take a little time to get use to it.

Bogon07
June 6th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Well... I've wanted a Vistonti... Pulled the trigger on a Ragtime 20th Anniversary Edition from Pentime. Very nervous about it. Went with it because it is a piston filler and I'm a German Piston-fill pen collector at heart. Figured I shouldn't hobble my first Italian pen with a converter (which I find meh). So fingers crossed that I like it when it arrives... Thought about a HS but wanted some COLOR since many of my German pens are professional black. ;)

I think you will love it.
The swirls of glittering gold dust in the acrylic don't show up very well in static photos. The metal section and the piston mechanism give it more weight than you expect for a pen of its size. Mine has a 14k gold nib (but not the nib with 20 engraved on it that I've seen on some 20th AE Ragtimes) and is the best writer of my Viscontii so far.

Raysclim
June 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the response, between HM bronze and HM bronze mazzi, which is a better keeper for daily use and collection? Both are F Nib. Mazzi is unique and beautiful, but afraid it to be too flashy to use at work.

earthdawn
June 6th, 2013, 10:56 PM
tandaina, Well... I've wanted a Vistonti... Pulled the trigger on a Ragtime 20th Anniversary Edition from Pentime. Very nervous about it. Went with it because it is a piston filler and I'm a German Piston-fill pen collector at heart. Figured I shouldn't hobble my first Italian pen with a converter (which I find meh). So fingers crossed that I like it when it arrives... Thought about a HS but wanted some COLOR since many of my German pens are professional black.

Cant wait to see you post some pics and writing samples...

Pen looks BEAUTFUL !!!

The depth of color in the resin looks awesome.

Congrats.

PS... and getting it from Bryant is great as well... any issue or question he will gladly handle. Forget email, just call him up. Great guy to talk with and he loves pens just as much if not more then the rest of us "nuts" here

peterpen53
June 7th, 2013, 03:01 AM
*so substantial that I have found myself this evening trying to justify an Opera Crystal and a HS because it would be such a good deal! /penaddict :o

I concur with Tracy's comments on the HS. The nibs of these pens are very different though, so much that I will not buy the new chromium nibs, as I find them much too stiff. The dreamtouch lives up to its name, however.

I think you will not be disappointed. For a fairly modern Visconti this is a nice, medium sized pen and a good writer. Because it lacks an ink window, I would not be surprised if this piston-filler turns out to be a trapped converter, though, but I don't know for sure.

I think you will love it.
The swirls of glittering gold dust in the acrylic don't show up very well in static photos. The metal section and the piston mechanism give it more weight than you expect for a pen of its size. Mine has a 14k gold nib (but not the nib with 20 engraved on it that I've seen on some 20th AE Ragtimes) and is the best writer of my Viscontii so far.

You know, your comment made me take a close look and for the first time since I bought it (5 years ago!) I noticed the "20" engraved on the nib. Thank you!

Tracy Lee
June 7th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the response, between HM bronze and HM bronze mazzi, which is a better keeper for daily use and collection? Both are F Nib. Mazzi is unique and beautiful, but afraid it to be too flashy to use at work.

Up to you I would say. I have a Mazzi Dragon but I don't carry it anywhere, it stays here as I mostly would like to avoid any scratch or ding to the finish of the artwork, which is pretty astounding in its details. But I use it at home, it doesn't just sit. The real difference for you on that will be price, so it is a personal decision about whether the artwork adds a sufficient value to the pen to warrant it. I use flashier pens at work every day and don't give it a thought. For me, daily use = collection, for some there is a difference so perhaps you factor that in as well. If the pen is too fancy and dissuades you from using, I would ask why buy it? Others have pens they write with, and some that are for viewing only. So how you use your pens, or collect, is important. If I love the pen, I use it. The Mazzi came out after I had the bronze so I couldn't justify having two of the same pens but one with artwork. Then I bought the steel version . . . now I can't rule out an HS Mazzi in the future. Unless a third HS is coming and that is my real hope. The art is very secondary to me in this medium. Not sure why. I appreciate it, but have no driving need.

tandaina
June 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I hope it isn't a trapped converter, that I would find highly annoying at the cost of this pen! We'll see how I do with it without an ink window. I'm used to having ink windows in all my pens and knowing exactly how much ink I've got. So we'll see.

Raysclim
June 7th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I am seeking more information on Visconti Hampton demonstrator limited edition .
Can anyone share more information on this FP such as history , writing experiences...etc
Attached are the photos .http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/a8u7e7uq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/mubu3egu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/08/2ugeru3a.jpg
Thanks ...Raymond

Tracy Lee
June 7th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I am seeking more information on Visconti Hampton demonstrator limited edition .
Can anyone share more information on this FP such as history , writing experiences...etc
Attached are the photos
Thanks ...Raymond

I haven't written with a Hampton, per se, but the filling system is common to several other Viscontis that I have. You should find filling to be a breeze, and that will hold a more than satisfying amount of ink. The nib is looks to be a 14k 585 which is the same nib that is on my red Flattop, and my Visconti Demonstrator (both in my daily carry and handy but the nib is also on my non-limited edition Opera pens, art renaissance, art ellenic, two voyagers and even my Divina Royale) and both perform equally well. Stiffer than some of Visconti's other nibs, but both of mine are mediums with strong flow and a good, solid line. I wish I knew more on the history, so I wait anxiously to hear more myself. This pen, by the way, looks very much like my Kaleido Voyager in shape. The clip is a Voyager clip.

Bogon07
June 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Raysclim, it is part of a collection of pens Visconti did for Rebecca Moss N.Y. LTD from the early 2000s. R.M. a designer & stationery outlet on Madison Ave is now closed. The Visconti Hampton demonstrator was in a limited edition of 50. Other double reservoir fillers of the same Flattop/Hampton design with different colours were in editions of 365. There were also a selection of Flattop cartridge/converter fountain pens of the same design but without the thinner second rings on the cap in a streaky marble style in a variety of colours. Rebecca Moss had a range of LE Millenium pens in five colours and some Rinascimento fountain pens. RM. NY also had some non-Visconti(?) Downtown and Turbo fountain pens. Some of the nibs display RM LTD on them. (see http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/337-Visconti?p=28582&viewfull=1#post28582)

wing
June 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I've got my first pen this morning, a Visconti Opera Elements with a medium nib.
While, the weight of this pen is quite heavy for me, it's very smooth and I like its pattern. :)

john
June 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Wing, gorgeous pen. Surely no regret on picking the Visconti:).

Tracy Lee
June 11th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Wing, excellent choice. The Opera pens are truly fantastic pens, and yes, Visconti is generally a heavy pen. Enjoy, let us know how you like it!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

wing
June 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Yup, I'm just thinking what's my next target.

Tracy Lee
June 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Yup, I'm just thinking what's my next target.

Me too!! :-)

john
June 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Yup, I'm just thinking what's my next target.It should be the Visconti Elements Water........:crazy_pilot:

john
June 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I will post the pics of my Elements Air with my awful penmanship later:hippie:

john
June 11th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, here are my Viscontis and my awful penmanship:cry:

earthdawn
June 11th, 2013, 08:33 PM
JOHN ....

WOW those are stunning !

You have great taste in pens.

Raysclim
June 11th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I love them all. Amazing

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Bogon07
June 11th, 2013, 10:19 PM
John, Nice collection so far. Do you have a favourite amongst them.

Is there any weight difference between your two Opera pens ?

john
June 12th, 2013, 03:20 AM
John, Nice collection so far. Do you have a favourite amongst them.

Is there any weight difference between your two Opera pens ?The Opera club is slightly heavier than the Elements. I like them all. The medium nib of the Elements is stiffer than the broad nib. I am planning to collect the full set of Elements. It's too bad that the latest version of Elements come with steel nibs, no more gold or palladium nibs.

Raysclim
June 12th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Hello all, do you owned or have writing experience on homo sapiens midi.? Particulary on F Nib? Many thanks

Raymond

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Bogon07
June 12th, 2013, 03:42 AM
For some reason I thought it would be the other way around.

Are there three more Elements Black, Blue & Red or have Visconti released some others as well ?

john
June 12th, 2013, 05:41 AM

Are there three more Elements Black, Blue & Red or have Visconti released some others as well ?Only black, blue, red and amber, no other colour will be released for the Elements.

Bogon07
June 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Are there three more Elements Black, Blue & Red or have Visconti released some others as well ?Only black, blue, red and amber, no other colour will be released for the Elements.

That makes it a nice neat affordable little set doesn't it.

Visconti should do a bright orange and white 5th Element LE :)

Tracy Lee
June 12th, 2013, 04:56 PM

There is a gray earth Opera Elements listed on eBay right now?

reprieve
June 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Visconti should do a bright orange and white 5th Element LE :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IAMf9QTvdoU/UHCtMkJEuvI/AAAAAAAAckw/puFlZGtVYFo/s1600/FifthElement_306Pyxurz.jpg

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
The new Chatterley 5 sided twist vac celluloid pens look awesome!!!! I'm not going to get one any time soon though :(
(no affiliation)

Zak
June 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM
John, that is a nice collection of Visconti's you have there. :) I personally have always liked that Red Rebecca Moss. I just like the look and feel of it.

Bogon07
June 12th, 2013, 08:01 PM
FPK those Chatterley Cosmopolitans look ok except the metal band around the ink window and the price $1300-$1150. And here I was thinking these would make a nice substitute for an LE WallStreet.:boom:
Very limited red,green & platinum editions of 38 for silver or 12 for gold trim. Power filler, 23k Palladium “dream-touch” nib and come in a small Burl-wood box.

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product-category/visconti/

john
June 12th, 2013, 10:18 PM

There is a gray earth Opera Elements listed on eBay right now?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2Yes, you can find the Elements Earth from ebay. One Spanish seller has stock but it comes with the steel nib.

john
June 12th, 2013, 10:22 PM
John, that is a nice collection of Visconti's you have there. :) I personally have always liked that Red Rebecca Moss. I just like the look and feel of it.Thanks Zak. The cherry Rebecca Moss is quite good, but only one issue which I don't like. It's too long and the balance is not so good if I post the cap.

john
June 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM

Visconti should do a bright orange and white 5th Element LE :)The steel nib Elements is not cheap at all if compare the price with Bryant. But I have no other choice if I want the full set of Elements, I have to buy from the Spanish seller. Because my budget is tight:cry:

john
June 12th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Visconti should do a bright orange and white 5th Element LE :)Orange Elements is outrageous:clap2:

Raysclim
June 14th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I need advise on Homo sapiens .
As many have praises on HM sapiens bronze regular size (with high vacuum filler) .
Doesn't seem to read any comments on the midi version . Beside the size differences , price ..of course. And filling mechanism differences . How is midi received in general ?
Are the nib swappable between regular size HM sapiens with midi ?
I have purchase a HM sapiens bronze regular with F Nib and love it so much that I think it is cool that I get a midi version for my pocket shirt.
But I am not sure if I should get it in Medium Nib or a fine Nib ? Or other size ?

I uses mostly Japanese medium and European Fine nib .
Thanks
Raymond

Tracy Lee
June 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I need advise on Homo sapiens .
As many have praises on HM sapiens bronze regular size (with high vacuum filler) .
Doesn't seem to read any comments on the midi version . Beside the size differences , price ..of course. And filling mechanism differences . How is midi received in general ?
Are the nib swappable between regular size HM sapiens with midi ?
I have purchase a HM sapiens bronze regular with F Nib and love it so much that I think it is cool that I get a midi version for my pocket shirt.
But I am not sure if I should get it in Medium Nib or a fine Nib ? Or other size ?

I uses mostly Japanese medium and European Fine nib .
Thanks
Raymond

I have the biggest one, not the midi so cannot comment on the size variations. I can tell you that nibs are not easy to swap, most Visconti require a special tool. So far my only removable nib is the Opera Typhoon. In the US, you can send your pen to Coles of London ( in North Carolina, just google them) and have the nib swapped out for free if the one you have is pristine. I just did this and should have my HS silver back today with a broad instead of medium nib. You will find the nib on the bronze to be a heavier line than you are used to even as a fine. Visconti nibs tend on the generous. Others will have good advice for you on the rest of your questions!

Petergly
June 14th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I stumbled across this thread tonight, and have found it utterly fascinating, and potentially very expensive for me! Thank you to everyone for sharing their purchases and knowledge.

I've just got my first Visconti - a starry night Van Gogh, with a fine nib. I'm just back from a holiday in Europe where, apart from seeing the sites, I wanted to get to some pen shops. I took a list with me and, while I didn't to anywhere near all of them, I did get to Casa Dela Stilografica in Florence. What a great little shop! A wonderful range, and great service, even for someone like me with VERY rudimentary Italian...

I left this shop with my Starry night, accompanied by a Visconti travelling inkwell, a bottle of Visconti black ink, and a Visconti leather case for 3 pens (I have the same pen in ball point from a contest win). I also got the pen personalised with Visconti's magnetic initials on the cap. Somewhat over the top, but hey - you only live once! :-)

I am most impressed with the pen - now. It took a good 3 soapy washes for it to feed properly (kept drying up). But it's all good now, and I'm using it to write up my trip. I currently have Lamy black ink in it - my vague suspicions that the Visconti black was contributing to my feed problems have me using the (known to me) Lamy ink for the moment.

And, to cap it all off, the price I paid for all these items was less than what i would pay for the pen ONLY, in Aus! And that's before the VAT is refunded.

Now, back to my habit of lurking, learning, and now researching future Visconti purchases... :-)

Bogon07
June 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Congratulations on the Starry Night Van Gogh. My VanGogh Musk Maxi has an F nib and is not as smoothly flowing as the F on the Salvador Dali nor the R.M.N.Y FlatTop F.

Like you I too have suspicions about my bottle of Visconti black. It seems to deliver sub-par flow performance in any pen it infects; quite the opposite of the bottle of Visconti purple and Blue-back.

A.J. Rosati
June 23rd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Hola Tracy Lee,

I am a huge Visconti lover. My current favorite is the Opera Elements Fire with a medium nib on it. That pen just makes writing enjoyable like no other pen for me, I am also a fan of the Divina as well. I am looking forward to seeing what Visconti will come out with next.

A.J. Rosati

UK Mike
June 26th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Can I just reinforce people's doubts about the Visconti Black ink. I got a bottle with a black Opera and I find the ink very dry with poor flow. Not really fit for purpose, BUT, I suspect the ink they give with pens is NOT the same fluid they put in the fancy-shape bottles they sell. Anyone tried this one?

I have always used Diamine inks in my Viscontis and they work impeccably.

john
June 26th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Mike, forget the Visconti ink:) I also use Diamine inks on my Viscontis. They work very well.

Tracy Lee
June 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I love their bottled ink but can honestly say I have never cracked the seal on the smaller bottles included in boxes. Maybe I will just stick to that plan. :-) Lots of other inks work great, de Atramentis is good, Iroshizuku inks, and my trouble ink has been Private Reserve. I imagine experiences will differ widely.

Bogon07
June 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Can I just reinforce people's doubts about the Visconti Black ink. I got a bottle with a black Opera and I find the ink very dry with poor flow. Not really fit for purpose, BUT, I suspect the ink they give with pens is NOT the same fluid they put in the fancy-shape bottles they sell. Anyone tried this one?

I have always used Diamine inks in my Viscontis and they work impeccably.
I had exactly the same problem with the bottle black that came with a WallStreet. Doesn't flow or perform well at all even in Viscontis which are know to be gushers. The plastic fancy shaped plastic bottles of purple and blue-black that came with Rembrandts on the other hand seem to work very well in all the Visconti pens I have tried them in. Noodler's AirCorp & Blue Eeel so far go well. Unlike Edelstein Adventurine & Amber but I need to try these in a wider range of pens.

john
June 29th, 2013, 07:52 AM
My Rebecca Moss red demo arrived this afternoon. It comes with 14k medium nib which is very smooth but not springy and double reservoirs with power filling system. The pattern is stunning.

fountainpenkid
June 29th, 2013, 07:55 AM
My Rebecca Moss red demo arrived this afternoon. It comes with 14k medium nib which is very smooth but not springy and double reservoirs with power filling system. The pattern is stunning.

Those look amazing! Nice find!

john
June 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Those look amazing! Nice find!The pen is quite nice, but I'm not impressive with it. I don't know why when I pick up the Visconti and the Rebecca Moss, I have the different feeling with the pens. Although Rebecca Moss pens produced by Visconti.

Bogon07
June 30th, 2013, 10:18 PM
John, Is your red demo the same as mine not the solid translucent red ?
How does the red demo compare to your cherry candy FlatTop ? I feel the demo is a chunkier pen than the RM FlatTop and even a slightly wider than the RM Hamptons.
These RM pens are 10+ years old. They don't seem to have the heavy density of some of the modern Visconti.

Raysclim
July 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM
john , we Love to see the pictures of Rebecca moss red demonstrator .

Raysclim
July 1st, 2013, 01:51 AM
My quick growing Visconti pen collection and one incoming Rebecca moss demonstrator.

john
July 1st, 2013, 03:45 AM
John, Is your red demo the same as mine not the solid translucent red ?
How does the red demo compare to your cherry candy FlatTop ? I feel the demo is a chunkier pen than the RM FlatTop and even a slightly wider than the RM Hamptons.
These RM pens are 10+ years old. They don't seem to have the heavy density of some of the modern Visconti.Same as yours. No different between them. I like the power filling system. Just wonder that I have no special feeling with the RMs.

john
July 1st, 2013, 03:46 AM
john , we Love to see the pictures of Rebecca moss red demonstrator .

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaI will post the photo later, thanks.

john
July 1st, 2013, 03:49 AM
My quick growing Visconti pen collection and one incoming Rebecca moss demonstrator.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaThose Operas you bought from Bryant? Great collection of Visconti.

Raysclim
July 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM
Yes. John. I bought couple of them from Bryant, some of his pen is on great sale now that I could not resist it. LOL.

john
July 1st, 2013, 05:41 AM
Yes. John. I bought couple of them from Bryant, some of his pen is on great sale now that I could not resist it. LOL.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaIt's too bad that the Opera Elements Fire is out of stock, otherwise I will buy it too.

Raysclim
July 1st, 2013, 06:13 AM
Yes. Indeed. I Just get what's available. Which is yellow (air) element. I think itlianpens still got some stock on opera element

john
July 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
Yes. Indeed. I Just get what's available. Which is yellow (air) element. I think itlianpens still got some stock on opera element

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaThere are some sellers still have stock of Elements but the price is higher. The latest version of Elements are with steel nibs, no more gold or pallladium nibs.

Bogon07
July 1st, 2013, 05:21 PM

Congratulations on that caramel swirl RM demonstrator :cry:
It will be interesting to see if it is from a 50 or 365 batch of pens and seems slightly different to the other demo pens as it only has thick cap bands not a thick and thin also a metal band on the grip section.

You are building up an impressive collection of amber/caramel/tan/light brown pens.

john
July 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Here is my RM red demo with medium nib.

Bogon07
July 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
John, nice pix.
You know the worst aspect of the DANTE'S CHIANTI red demo is that it looks better without ink.
Although having a dark ink like you have is very dramatic & much better than Eldelstein Amber :puke:

john
July 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ken, sometimes I've found some demos is looking better without ink because of the colour pattern:). The pattern of my RM is not so bad with the dark colour ink. I'm using Diamine Asa blue which is my favorite ink.

Raysclim
July 6th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Hello guys, as the material for homo sapiens is porous. I have some ink strain on the body per photo attached. Hope it is clear to show it. And of course the feed area when inking. How to clean it? Do I soak the pen into a water?

Thanks
Raymond

Tracy Lee
July 6th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I haven't found that soaking works all that well because these pens are slightly hygroscopic (they will absorb water a bit) so my bronze has a little staining from the one color I have used in it the most. Because of that, I have avoided chemicals of any kind, but have use slightly warm water on a cloth repeatedly and rubbed at it which seems to have taken some of it off. With both of mine, I am now super careful that only the nib goes into the ink, and I have the warm cloth to clean up any inadvertent smudges. These pens take slightly more care and feeding than most of my other Visconti pens.

Bogon07
July 9th, 2013, 07:48 PM
The package with my Visconti Rebecca Moss Flattop & Voyager arrived this week after a long transit time.
From the eBay photos the FlatTop appeared to be a Tiger Eye style of acrylic but when it arrived it looked like some sort of wood burl and very closely resembled my HuonPine box which houses my Lamy Al-Stars.

It comes with a two tone 14K RM LTD nib which feels smooth and springy to write with. You can obtain a degree of line variation depending on pressure and writing position.
In hind-sight I should have filled it with Noodler's Golden Brown but Habanero is one of my favourite colours and it was time to take it out again.

RM FlatTops are slightly slimmer than the RM Voyager and weigh slightly more too.

The FlatTop(converter) is also slimmer than the RM Hampton(Double Reservoir Piston Filler).

CherryRed FlatTop -showing the snake skin effect on the cap

The Visconti collection less Mrs Bogon's Purple Rembrandt & an in-transit RM Amber Millenium.
When I first bought the Wall Street I thought it was a huge pen now I see it is the shortest of the Visconti pens.

Tracy Lee
July 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM
A+ Fantastic pictures, my friend! What a BEAUTIFUL collection of Visconti. You have chosen wisely. :) I appreciated all the comparisons and groupings.

earthdawn
July 10th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Holy Crap Bogon07 !!!!

It may be a 16 hour flight but IM COMING OVER !

Wow what a collection.

The Cherry-Red Flat top is stunning :thumb:

earthdawn
July 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Hello guys, as the material for homo sapiens is porous. I have some ink strain on the body per photo attached. Hope it is clear to show it. And of course the feed area when inking. How to clean it? Do I soak the pen into a water?

Thanks
Raymond

When i had to clean the ink off mine I used soapy water and a toothbrush. Ran is under running water inbetween and wiped it with paper towel. Using a toothbrush seemed to do the trick.

The pen being slightly hydroscopic lets ink into it a little but never been a problem I could not clean away.

Tracy Lee
July 10th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Never thought to use a toothbrush but that would be the trick, I do have one I set aside for odds and ends like this. No residue from the soap? I am clearly being overly cautious. Thanks for sharing your method. (It's actually hygroscopic. Not hydroscopic.). :)

earthdawn
July 10th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Never thought to use a toothbrush but that would be the trick, I do have one I set aside for odds and ends like this. No residue from the soap? I am clearly being overly cautious. Thanks for sharing your method. (It's actually hygroscopic. Not hydroscopic.). :)

I really need to work on my spelling as much as my writing lol

As far as soap I use Dawn dish soap. It cuts grease yes... but it washes away clean without leaving any residue. I have used it on my HS Bronze so I can safely say I had zero issues.

Overly cautious, no .. This is not a cheap pen at all BUT it is really well made with titanium, bronze or stainless steel & lava resin blend.

Tracy Lee
July 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM

I really need to work on my spelling as much as my writing lol

As far as soap I use Dawn dish soap. It cuts grease yes... but it washes away clean without leaving any residue. I have used it on my HS Bronze so I can safely say I had zero issues.

Overly cautious, no .. This is not a cheap pen at all BUT it is really well made with titanium, bronze or stainless steel & lava resin blend.

That is so true. It is expensive but that doesn't mean delicate. I have been way too afraid of doing ANYTHING to my pens, but you all are really helping me overcome that with smart suggestions like this, so thank you.

Bogon07
July 10th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Holy Crap Bogon07 !!!!

Wow what a collection.

Wait till you see TracyLee's when she gets around to updating her photos. :crazy_pilot:

If you like the Cherry red FlatTop there are atleast four up on eBay which the seller calls:Visconti Voyager Flat Top Limited Edition Old Rose Marbled (like Parker Duofold)My photo doesn't display the pinkish tone as much as the pen has.
It is Mrs Bogon's camera and she is always adjusting the settings - that is a lame excuse isn't it.

Tracy Lee
July 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
I am considering a flight there too, and I'll bring mine and maybe there will be a trade . . . . or just collective ooooo's and aaaaaaaa's and drooling. You know, Bogon07, between us we have now about 56 give or take? That. Is. AWESOME.

Bogon07
July 10th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I am considering a flight there too, and I'll bring mine and maybe there will be a trade . . . . or just collective ooooo's and aaaaaaaa's and drooling. You know, Bogon07, between us we have now about 56 give or take? That. Is. AWESOME.

56! I think we'd need some help from John, Raysclim, Peter and others to reach than number.

Good grief it didn't realise I had this many already with another on the way it will be 16 :spy:
Mrs Bogon was too resigned to even raise her eyebrows when the last bunch arrived.

john
July 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Ken, I'm watching a blue Van Gogh Maxi:)

john
July 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Holy Crap Bogon07 !!!!

Wow what a collection.

Wait till you see TracyLee's when she gets around to updating her photos. :crazy_pilot:

If you like the Cherry red FlatTop there are atleast four up on eBay which the seller calls:Visconti Voyager Flat Top Limited Edition Old Rose Marbled (like Parker Duofold)My photo doesn't display the pinkish tone as much as the pen has.
It is Mrs Bogon's camera and she is always adjusting the settings - that is a lame excuse isn't it.There are too many RM cherrys from ebay now. One of the crazy seller who asks $900 for the RM red demo. Crazy!

Bogon07
July 10th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Those RM Flattop/Voyagers are suddenly everywhere these days. Still it is exciting to see a new variation when it turns up.

Some of those older VanGoghs have lovely colouring. Good luck with it. Do you know what type of nib it has ?
My Maxi had a silver coloured 14K nib.

Also sometimes those RM Millenium are called LE VanGoghs.

john
July 11th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Those RM Flattop/Voyagers are suddenly everywhere these days. Still it is exciting to see a new variation when it turns up.

Some of those older VanGoghs have lovely colouring. Good luck with it. Do you know what type of nib it has ?
My Maxi had a silver coloured 14K nib.

Also sometimes those RM Millenium are called LE VanGoghs.It's not the RM Millenium, it's Van Gogh Maxi Ocean with the 14k white gold nib. But I don't know the nib size which the seller didn't mention. It comes with a brown crocodile skin look box.

Tracy Lee
July 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM
The Van Gogh maxi Ocean is a great pen, I picked one up just a handful of months ago. The Van Gogh Maxi is one of my favorite Visconti lines, and is remarkably better than the current line, if I can say that. Size, colors, nib, the whole package. Did you get it?

reprieve
July 11th, 2013, 06:02 AM
The Van Gogh maxi Ocean is a great pen, I picked one up just a handful of months ago. The Van Gogh Maxi is one of my favorite Visconti lines, and is remarkably better than the current line, if I can say that. Size, colors, nib, the whole package. Did you get it?

I agree. My very first Visconti was one of the old Van Gogh Maxis in blue with a fine 14k nib. I still have that pen and adore it. The color is much more swirly and varied than the new ocean blue. I wish I had picked up an old-style green or amber Maxi with a broad nib when they were still commonly available. I was very disappointed when Visconti redesigned the Van Gogh and stuck a steel nib on it; to add insult to injury, the price went up instead of down!

john
July 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2Not yet, I'm waiting a blue typhoon Opera club, if I don't win the bid. Then the Van Gogh Maxi will be my second choice.

Tracy Lee
July 11th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Can't go wrong on either of those! Love them both.

john
July 11th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Can't go wrong on either of those! Love them both.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2Sure:)

Tracy Lee
July 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
This is the Rebecca Moss Voyager that arrived this week - better pictures. So hard to capture the green. It is inked and writes with the wettest medium Visconti nib I own. The red Flattop is a close second. I am not sure how these nibs are different, but they are.

earthdawn
July 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
This is the Rebecca Moss Voyager that arrived this week - better pictures. So hard to capture the green. It is inked and writes with the wettest medium Visconti nib I own. The red Flattop is a close second. I am not sure how these nibs are different, but they are.

WOW ... very very beautiful.

Love the color & theres just something about the clip that shines.

Congrats and use it well !

reprieve
July 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM
That blue-green swirly color is gorgeous. Congratulations!!

Bogon07
July 14th, 2013, 12:12 AM
TracyLee, Your RM Voyager looks gorgeous you really captured the look of the pen. Your swirls are more dramatic than mine.

What is interesting is we both have medium nibs but they are different sorts of 14k Visconti nib
3954My Voyager M nib
3955A FlatTop M nib with R.M. LTD logo.

Tracy Lee
July 14th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Isn't THAT interesting. Hmmmm. Do you think a nib swap? Or just one of those things that happen?

KrazyIvan
July 18th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Holy Crap Bogon07 !!!!

Wow what a collection.

What earthdawn said!

AtomicLeo
July 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM

I just lost a *very* close ebay auction that was a Visconti Ocean that had a stub nib from Mike M.:mad2:. Ugh!

Tracy Lee
July 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM

I just lost a *very* close ebay auction that was a Visconti Ocean that had a stub nib from Mike M.:mad2:. Ugh!

:(

Bogon07
July 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I know how you feel. There is a lot of that going on in the last few seconds of an auction these days. Shame about missing that stub nib though. You have to think of it as an opportunity to acquire something better.

AtomicLeo
July 29th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I know how you feel. There is a lot of that going on in the last few seconds of an auction these days. Shame about missing that stub nib though. You have to think of it as an opportunity to acquire something better.

True, because I then order this from pentime.com. My first Visconti!

john
July 29th, 2013, 08:55 PM

True, because I then order this from pentime.com. My first Visconti!

4250Bryant can provide the best price. I bought the Opera club and the Opera Elements from him too.

Bogon07
July 30th, 2013, 03:26 AM
AtomicLeo congratulations on your Opera Club Cherry Juice. A visually very attractive pen.
What type & size of nib did you go for ?

Tracy Lee
July 30th, 2013, 05:03 AM
+1 on dealing with Bryant, getting great prices and fabulous personal service. Congrats on the cherry juice, this is a really neat looking line of pens. Excited to hear type of nib and how you like it! :-)

AtomicLeo
July 30th, 2013, 08:05 AM
AtomicLeo congratulations on your Opera Club Cherry Juice. A visually very attractive pen.

A medium nib. I read online that the palladium nibs run wide. It is supposed to head off to Pendelton Brown for nib modification, but I may have a hard time letting it go!

john
July 30th, 2013, 10:41 PM

A medium nib. I read online that the palladium nibs run wide. It is supposed to head off to Pendelton Brown for nib modification, but I may have a hard time letting it go!My Elements Air comes with the medium nib, it writes smooth and wet. The ink flows is not too strong if compare with my Opera club which is with the broad nib.

Raysclim
July 30th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I have bought the same opera cherry juice with stub nib from byrant, excellent ink flow But I am facing quite constant skipping at beginning of the stroke on my Rohdia dotpad 80gsm . The paper seems to be more waxy feeling than usual paper. Could that be the reason for skipping? Or I should use a better flow ink? BTW, I am using iroshizuku yama budo on the cherry juice pd23k stub.
Any clue?

Bogon07
July 31st, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have found Rhodia dot grid #16 to cause some problems with ink flow compared to the standard lined grid paper. It appears to have a powdery layer that some nib/ink combinations don't like.

Tracy Lee
July 31st, 2013, 04:52 AM
I think I have some of that but have never used it. I don't understand dot paper. If you need lines, get lines. If you like plain, get plain. That's just me. Now looks like I have another reason to avoid.

writingrav
July 31st, 2013, 06:37 AM
Funny, I have always felt exactly the same about dot paper. Tried it once and don't get the appeal.

john
July 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
I have bought the same opera cherry juice with stub nib from byrant, excellent ink flow But I am facing quite constant skipping at beginning of the stroke on my Rohdia dotpad 80gsm . The paper seems to be more waxy feeling than usual paper. Could that be the reason for skipping? Or I should use a better flow ink? BTW, I am using iroshizuku yama budo on the cherry juice pd23k stub.
Any clue?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 BetaMy cherry juice with broad nib also skips at the first stroke. I find the nib is with baby bottom, so I use the #2000 sand paper to flatten the tip a little bit. Now the skipping is gone. I use Diamine ink.

Bogon07
July 31st, 2013, 11:37 PM
Yesterday a Visconti Rebecca Moss FlatTop Orange Mandarin was delivered.
Curiously matching the NZ persimmons Mrs Bogon bought the day before.
The 14K nib has no size indicated although the seller NWFineJewelers advertised it as being between M & B. It tends more towards the broad side. A metal disc on the top of the cap has R.M. New York and three thin cap bands.
It has similar dimensions to the other FlatTops inspite of having a power filler and is slightly slimmer than the RM Hamptons such as this Rose Quartz. Having no ink window adds a bit of guessing to judging the ink levels as the barrel is not a particularly translucent material.

The nib looks likely to be a B nib and is slightly shorter than the other two. It has an amount of spring and a generous flow. If pushed with pressure & speed it will railroad at times. Not buttery smooth but nevertheless nice to write with. Feels more comfortable using unposted as the cap adds a little too much weight to the end of the barrel.

Tracy Lee
August 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for sharing that Bogon! I am so glad you are enjoying your RMs and you have quite a nice selection. Can't wait to see the rest!

Titivillus
August 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
I've owned probably a half dozen Visconti pens and had had issues with half of them. From stained celluloid to leaking fillers to a pen that pretty much shattered at the section when it dropped out of my pocket. They make nice pens and are very nice if you find a good one. Maybe I just had bad luck with the ones that I bought.

Tracy Lee
August 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Wow, I have had no significant issues with any of the 30 I have. I have only needed two repaired, one my fault and one not and they were courteous and fast and didn't charge me anything even when I included a note about my own culpability. I haven't had any staining (other than some staining on the HS bronze which I have since scrubbed off), and some have taken some abuse (inadvertent) and held up okay. I am so sorry you had issues! But you know, I have never had a Schaeffer that wasn't a completely horrible pen and I know too many people would look at me with incredulity over that. So there is no question we don't all get the same great experiences with a particular line of pens. Others have mentioned nib issues with Visconti, and I have had some temperamental ones, too, so for sure they are not perfection. Thank heaven you have so many other choices, right?

tandaina
August 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Yeah I cleaned out my Ragtime today and realized there is ink down between sections and threads AND it is making airy noises when piston turns... Dang thing isn't sealed properly at section. ARG!

Tracy Lee
August 1st, 2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah I cleaned out my Ragtime today and realized there is ink down between sections and threads AND it is making airy noises when piston turns... Dang thing isn't sealed properly at section. ARG!

:( Oh boo, :(

Bogon07
August 27th, 2013, 04:55 AM
A large box from Pen&Beyond arrived the other day containing a small 12"x10" case in it.
This contained a Visconti Millennium Arc Collection - a Millennium Arc fountain pen, a travelling ink well and an eyedropper. These pens were available in red, orange or blue.
The Millennium Arc is a slightly smaller pen than the Rebecca Moss Millennium. It has the same size nib but in a shorter chrome grip section in the same length barrel. The Arc is a crescent filler rather than a cartridge filler.
The 18K two tone M nib is very springy and will exhibit a degree of line variation when pressured. You can see from the above photos that it is a noticably wider M than the Delta Dolevita one. Also it is a very wet and free flowing nib. When writing it feels similar to my Parker Vacuumatic rather than a Rebecca Moss Millennium.
The Millennium Cap has a flattened section where the clip attaches and rests. The spring-loaded clip has open slot instead of the usual Visconti name.
The crescent filler is activated by turning a transparent open ring to allow the clip-like part to depress a bar onto the ink sac.

yipe
August 27th, 2013, 08:13 AM
That is beautiful.

Beginner question. What is a crescent filling mechanism? That's a new one to me.

john
August 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
That is beautiful.

Beginner question. What is a crescent filling mechanism? That's a new one to me.Something like the lever filling. When you fill the ink, you turn the ring , the metal arch can be pressed into the barrel, the pressure bar will press the ink sac, the ink will be sucked into the sac.

john
August 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Wow Ken, what a beautiful Millennium Demo you have, stunning pattern.:clap2:

Bogon07
August 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
That is beautiful.

Beginner question. What is a crescent filling mechanism? That's a new one to me.Something like the lever filling. When you fill the ink, you turn the ring , the metal arch can be pressed into the barrel, the pressure bar will press the ink sac, the ink will be sucked into the sac.

Yes John that is correct. There is an almost closed C-type ring around the pen's barrel under the steel arc it acts as a lock to prevent you accidentally depressing the sac until you rotate it to the correct position.
The Visconti Copernicus uses the same system.

John, the advantage of this over the RM red Demonstrators we both have is the ink is in a sac and not directly against the barrel so even when full you can see more of the transparent effect of the patterns.

john
August 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM
That is beautiful.

Yes John that is correct. There is an almost closed C-type ring around the pen's barrel under the steel arc it acts as a lock to prevent you accidentally depressing the sac until you rotate it to the correct position.
The Visconti Copernicus uses the same system.

John, the advantage of this over the RM red Demonstrators we both have is the ink is in a sac and not directly against the barrel so even when full you can see more of the transparent effect of the patterns.yes, the color pattern will not be interrupted by the ink.

Tracy Lee
October 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Decided I should throw up some pictures of the newest additions to the Visconti family. Two Operas, a Divina, and a Van Gogh Maxi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Tracy Lee they are breath-taking. Congratulations on your latest editions to your Visconti family.
And all the nibs look different too. The Aquamarine Opera & the VanGogh have almost reversed nib colouration. The VanGogh nib is interesting in not having curved engraving and a geometric shape under 'visconti' -more Art Deco than Art Nouveau.

Thanks for sharing.

cwent2
October 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Tracy, I know of a real good personal assistant who would really like to work for you. ;)

Carole
October 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Tracy Lee--holy smoke. I used the Thesaurus and still can't find the right words. Congratulations on the new bambinos. Btw, I got a chance to write with the Divina Royale Peau d'Ange recently. Wow. It's ugly. Pale pink and ivory resin, with those glittering Swarovski crystals! Hideous. It was so bad they had to tackle me to the ground and wrench that disgusting thing out of my clenched hands. ;)

Every pen from every person in this whole thread is beautiful. That said, Bogon07, the Millennium Arc is a pen that I've always loved from afar. I am pretty sure it's one of a small group of pens that possess magical powers.

PS Tracy, I got the idea for the Tuscan Nib Cruise because my cousin is in Italy right now on his honeymoon and they went to the boutique in Florence where you can write with all the Viscontis and it was driving me crazy. It would be fun if everybody could be there.

Bogon07
October 2nd, 2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Carole, the Millennium Arc does feel very different from my other Visconti and I don't really know why.
Could be the shift of balance from the filling system. The other orange and blue versions look very attractive too.

Mrs Bogon will be visiting Florence/Firenze November/December however I think she will be tempted to give them a piece of her mind about their impact on our finances rather than testing pens.

penultress
October 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM
The Divina is on my wishlist! Gorgeous new pens. Congratulations, Tracy!

Mags
October 4th, 2013, 10:15 PM
The Opera is a keeper for you I really hope !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

kaisnowbird
October 5th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I've come across a decent offer on a Kaleido Voyager Honey & Almond, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm mostly bothered by its black inner cap, a shadow of which is visible through the semi-translucent cap.

I know some of you have this pen. How does the pen look in person? Any comments from you would really help. Thanks.

Tracy Lee
October 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I've come across a decent offer on a Voyager Honey & Almond, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm mostly bothered by its black inner cap, a shadow of which is visible through the semi-translucent cap.

I know some of you have this pen. How does the pen look in person? Any comments from you would really help. Thanks.

I have a Honey Almond Opera, but it is essentially the same. It is really translucent so if that aspect bothers you, the honey almond is not subtle for showing shadows of the internal workings. Also, ink color inside changes the appearance pretty remarkably, too. I think it is a beautiful pen empty, but given I don't much care for demonstrators, being able to see through the body that little bit is a drawback in my mind for sure. This aquamarine I just bought has the same issue, but the blue is a bit more "solid" than that creamy honey almond so it should be fine and blend nicely with greens and blues for ink.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

kaisnowbird
October 5th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I've come across a decent offer on a Voyager Honey & Almond, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm mostly bothered by its black inner cap, a shadow of which is visible through the semi-translucent cap.

I have a Honey Almond Opera, but it is essentially the same. It is really translucent so if that aspect bothers you, the honey almond is not subtle for showing shadows of the internal workings. Also, ink color inside changes the appearance pretty remarkably, too. I think it is a beautiful pen empty, but given I don't much care for demonstrators, being able to see through the body that little bit is a drawback in my mind for sure. This aquamarine I just bought has the same issue, but the blue is a bit more "solid" than that creamy honey almond so it should be fine and blend nicely with greens and blues for ink.

Thank you Tracy Lee. That aquamarine is a real beauty. Congrats.
If I was offered a pen like that, I wouldn't have hesitated at all!

Tracy Lee
October 5th, 2013, 07:58 AM
If it would helpful to you for me to put Ink into the honey almond and take some pictures, let me know. Happy to do that for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

penultress
October 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I filled my Honey Almond Opera with R&K Alt-Goldrun and I love it. The combination works well and I have yet (after one fill) to see staining in the cap! I'm happy to be using it again!

Carole
October 8th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Mrs Bogon will be visiting Florence/Firenze November/December however I think she will be tempted to give them a piece of her mind about their impact on our finances rather than testing pens.

That's great! Sounds like you won't be making the trip, too, which is a shame, but if she is so inclined, it would be fun to hear about her adventures at the Visconti boutique. Maybe even pictures. Especially if the discussion gets spirited. :rolleyes: Wishing her a wonderful trip. In bocca al lupo!

Bogon07
October 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I picked up the red stripe Rebecca Moss Hampton from Post Office on Friday. This has a very strange fine needle point nib which writes smoothly.

The RM celluloid stripe Hamptons so far have shown up in three colours blue, green and red. They come with silver, yellow gold & a subtle rose gold metal trim respectively. My finances are happy there aren't amber or onyx ones like the RM Millennium series.

These continue the stripe celluloid style started by the Parker Vacumatic and carried on in the Visconti WallStreet.

The newer Platinum WallStreet has a slightly longer cap than the older Blue WallStreet mostly the bit just under the cap band. The pen itself is also marginally longer.

Tracy Lee
October 12th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I picked up the red stripe Rebecca Moss Hampton from Post Office on Friday. This has a very strange fine needle point nib which writes smoothly.

The RM celluloid stripe Hamptons so far have shown up in three colours blue, green and red. They come with silver, yellow gold & a subtle rose gold metal trim respectively. My finances are happy there aren't amber or onyx ones like the RM Millennium series.

These continue the stripe celluloid style started by the Parker Vacumatic and carried on in the Visconti WallStreet.

The newer Platinum WallStreet has a slightly longer cap than the older Blue WallStreet mostly the bit just under the cap band. The pen itself is also marginally longer.

Wow, look at those fantastic pens!! Thanks for sharing. That "nib" is really strange indeed. Does it feed like a fountain pen nib?

Bogon07
October 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
The nibs doesn't seem to produce much line variation. It does have a sort of screw-out feed section like the Visconiti nibs. It is sort of like using a rapidograph technical drawing pen with the advantage of being more forgiving of the writing angle.
It is also smoother than the EcoRoller that came with Mrs Bogon's Rembrandt. And being a power filler holds a ton (I should say litre or gallon) of ink.

The fun thing with the striped celluloid pens is they have light and dark sides which look good when you rotate the pens. I suppose that simulates office buildings turning their lights on or off during the night. The red/burgundy is more dramatic than the blue or green Hampton with this effect. A weirdo pen but I really like it.

velo
October 13th, 2013, 03:54 AM
I love the look of those new Wall Street pens. I bought a Parker Vacumatic but it was too small so I sold it. That kind of patterning still appeals to me.

Popcorn
October 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I've come across a decent offer on a Kaleido Voyager Honey & Almond, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm mostly bothered by its black inner cap, a shadow of which is visible through the semi-translucent cap.

I kind of agree with you, as I have one of the voyager honey almond models. What's strange to me about this pen is not so much that the black cap is somewhat visible from the pen exterior (actually, I barely noticed that aspect of the pen), but rather, the fact that they didn't make the nib collar match the body of the pen, like they do with the rest of the voyager series. Rather than carry the honey almond color entirely through, you get a black nib collar which breaks up the flow a bit.

Having said that, it's still a gorgeous pen and I love mine. Just haven't figured out the right ink color to put in it yet.

john
October 21st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Here is my latest Opera club blue typhoon, 14k F nib with great ink flow. The nib is scrathchy, I polished it with #2000 sand paper.Then it writes smooth.

Popcorn
October 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Here is my latest Opera club blue typhoon, 14k F nib with great ink flow. The nib is scrathchy, I polished it with #2000 sand paper.Then it writes smooth.

Congrats, it's a great pen! (I actually have two of them....). I am surprised to hear the nib was scratchy, but am glad to see that you got it working to your liking. Enjoy.

john
October 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM

Congrats, it's a great pen! (I actually have two of them....). I am surprised to hear the nib was scratchy, but am glad to see that you got it working to your liking. Enjoy.This Opera is an used pen, the tines are not with the same length, so I have to polish it to make it writes better. I have 3 Operas including this, two of them are with the palladium nibs which are very smooth. Honestly, I don't like the nibs of Visconti anymore, if compare with Mont Blanc, Pelikan and old Omas. I am not surprised with the Visconti nibs. I buy this Opera only for its coloration which I like very much.

Bogon07
October 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
John, that is a very attractive looking Blue Typhoon Club Opera. The blues have a wonderful glow to them.
It is a rather different look to that of the Opera Master Blue Typhoon.

john
October 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
John, that is a very attractive looking Blue Typhoon Club Opera. The blues have a wonderful glow to them.
It is a rather different look to that of the Opera Master Blue Typhoon.Yes, it is not looking the same with the Opera Master blue typhoon.

Tracy Lee
October 21st, 2013, 06:04 PM
Beautiful. I am so partial to the Opera family of pens, just love them. The body, the patterns, the nib, the weight. Enjoy, I'm glad you got the nib smoothed out.

Bogon07
November 8th, 2013, 05:00 PM
All the Italian pens except Mrs Bogon's Purple Rembrandt which should be next to the Orange Rembrandt. All Viscontis and a Kaweco/Visconti plus two Deltas and a Stipula.

The silver cylinder with the clear dome on the bottom left is the Millennium Arc's travelling ink well.

Tracy Lee
November 8th, 2013, 06:17 PM
All the Italian pens except Mrs Bogon's Purple Rembrandt which should be next to the Orange Rembrandt. All Viscontis and a Kaweco/Visconti plus two Deltas and a Stipula.

The silver cylinder with the clear dome on the bottom left is the Millennium Arc's travelling ink well.

Most excellent family portrait! I particularly love the variety of marbled pens, like your Delta.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mommalisa
November 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I like the travelling inkwell- wouldn't mind having one of those myself

kaisnowbird
November 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME and mesmerisingly beautiful!
I particularly admire the Rebecca Moss series. The light pink quartz one and the emerald green Wall Street/Manhattan one are absolutely dreamy.
And that Kaweco Art Sport is delicious too. Only if they come with gold nibs. Such a pretty body deserves a special nib.

Goldfish
November 8th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Gorgeous!! Don't know what it is but I like the blue one on the right side of note pad.

Bogon07
November 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I particularly admire the Rebecca Moss series. The light pink quartz one and the emerald green Wall Street/Manhattan one are absolutely dreamy.
And that Kaweco Art Sport is delicious too. Only if they come with gold nibs. Such a pretty body deserves a special nib.
Kai, this Kawaco does indeed have a 14K two-tone gold nib.
The body was made by Visconti for Kaweco - they used a similar material on some older version LE Michelangelos.

Goldfish, the one on the right side of the blotting paper is a Rebecca Moss Stipula with an 18K nib.

snedwos
November 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
What I find astounding is how quickly you've built this magnificent collection up. I wish I could... Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

john
November 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Ken what an awesome collection you have:clap2::clap2:

kaisnowbird
November 10th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Kai, this Kawaco does indeed have a 14K two-tone gold nib.
The body was made by Visconti for Kaweco - they used a similar material on some older version LE Michelangelos.

:hail: Totally awesome!! Now that is one truly special Kaweco.

Bogon07
November 10th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I forgot to mention the Kaweco/Visconti is a piston filler & has a matching extra fat push-button ball-point pen buddy.

I think I'm now just about Visconti'd out.
Although there are still a few I would like to add but they are outside my price comfort zone.

Tracy Lee
November 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I forgot to mention the Kaweco/Visconti is a piston filler & has a matching extra fat push-button ball-point pen buddy.

I think I'm now just about Visconti'd out.
Although there are still a few I would like to add but they are outside my price comfort zone.

That is like a dagger through my heart every time you say it, but I understand. ;) You really can't be done without the HS Bronze.

Bogon07
November 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I haven't said it all that many times .......have I ?
A HS Bronze :bathbaby:
(maybe sometime later.) .....& that petrified wood looking Divina .......& blaah blaah blaaah
There is Millennium type pen that is in the instant acquisition category too.
And there is also a certain Delta that looks a little bit like one of yours.

Tracy Lee
November 10th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I haven't said it all that many times .......have I ?
A HS Bronze :bathbaby:
(maybe sometime later.) .....& that petrified wood looking Divina .......& blaah blaah blaaah
There is Millennium type pen that is in the instant acquisition category too.
And there is also a certain Delta that looks a little bit like one of yours.

Okay, I am being dramatic, just twice that I know of. :sly: You always seem to keep a great list for considering, so just when you think it is enough . . .

Popcorn
November 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM

GORGEOUS! I am very envious. A question -- what is pen #3 on the top (from the left) -- is that the mosquito version of the blue typhoon opera? Trying to figure out why it's so much larger than the Canadian maple green opera club next to it.

Bogon07
November 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Yes Popcorn you are correct it is the Opera Master blue typhoon.
It was a real surprise how much bigger than the regular Opera/WallStreet it was.
However it does not feel much bigger when writing unless you post the cap. It's tubular chromium stub nib is wonderful.

Tracy Lee
November 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
It was a real surprise how much bigger than the regular Opera/WallStreet it was.
However it does not feel much bigger when writing unless you post the cap. It's tubular chromium stub nib is wonderful.

I'll second that! Never leaves my daily carry. Fabulous writer.

Popcorn
November 21st, 2013, 08:01 PM

Hmm. I would be in the market for one...if I didn't already have not one, but two, blue typhoon operas. Me thinks three pens of the same color might be a bit much to justify to the spouse...:D

How do you like the Millennium arc pen?

Bogon07
November 21st, 2013, 08:40 PM
You could always get the transparent demonstrator version of Opera Master mosquito filler to confuse your spouse. Then fill it with blue ink.

I quite like the Millennium Arc, it has a different feel to the other Viscontis and is also nicely balanced and a smooth writer. I thought the crescent to work the filler could be a problem but it doesn't affect the comfort or ease of using it. Feels more compact than most Visconti pens.

Bogon07
November 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
There is a red Millennium Arc on eBay with an 18K EEF nib but no travelling inkwell though you appear to get a bottle of ink.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121222297479?clk_rvr_id=552826789642

I wonder what sort of line the EEF nib will produce ?
My 18K Visconti nibs are pretty generous writers.

Tracy Lee
November 26th, 2013, 06:23 PM
There is a red Millennium Arc on eBay with an 18K EEF nib but no travelling inkwell though you appear to get a bottle of ink.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121222297479?clk_rvr_id=552826789642

I wonder what sort of line the EEF nib will produce ?
My 18K Visconti nibs are pretty generous writers.

Oh my goodness, it looks like you would be writing with a needle point. I can't even imagine.

VertOlive
November 26th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for this thread. A Visconti is on my Someday List!

VO

Bogon07
November 26th, 2013, 08:40 PM

VO
"A" - careful it is hard to stop at just one.

I though the blue Wallstreet was all I needed :cry:

snedwos
November 27th, 2013, 12:29 AM

VO

Look at your collection again, you'll feel better.

kaisnowbird
November 27th, 2013, 04:33 AM

VO

I'm grateful that it wasn't all you wanted. :wink:

Tracy Lee
November 27th, 2013, 05:01 AM
#35 for me is on its way soon. From the Cosmos collection which they say will ship early December. I wonder if I can stop there? :what: Oh, who would I be kidding. ;)

Bogon07
November 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM
#35 for me is on its way soon. From the Cosmos collection which they say will ship early December. I wonder if I can stop there? :what: Oh, who would I be kidding. ;)

If you like it there is always the rest of the Cosmos collection - #36 & #37 ..........:bump2:

I estimate that the Azure R.M. Millennium will be #30 when it arrives

Tracy Lee
November 27th, 2013, 02:31 PM

If you like it there is always the rest of the Cosmos collection - #36 & #37 ..........:bump2:

You are such an enabler, Bogon! :):thumbup::D

Bogon07
November 27th, 2013, 03:41 PM

Very happy to help the one who sprinkled Visconti & Delta dust into my letters.

Tracy Lee
November 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Very happy to help the one who sprinkled Visconti & Delta dust into my letters.

:eek::sly:

KrazyIvan
November 30th, 2013, 09:12 PM

I came from another thread where someone said you posted your collection. All I have to say is:jaw:

lisantica
December 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
I only own one Visconti, but it's a keeper! The smoothness has spoiled me and it has become the standard in which I judge all other nibs of the pens I own.

Top to bottom:
Visconti Opera Master Demo
Pelikan M600
Pilot Vanishing Point
Pilot Prera

The bottom two pens were the culprits that got me started on fountain pens.

Tracy Lee
December 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Love it, and have been looking for one of those - that particular Visconti. Thanks for sharing. :-) It certainly is easy to get spoiled.

The Vanishing Point is a fantastic pen, in my selling off of pens earlier this year, those two stayed in my box.

cwent2
December 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM

Stop?

Tracy Lee doesn't understand the meaning of the word stop --- lol

Cw

Tracy Lee
December 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM

Stop?

Cw

When it comes to Visconti you are so right!!! :rolleyes::p:beer:

Bogon07
December 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Lisantica, your Visconti Opera Master Demo is delightful.
It just made me notice that my blue typhoon mosquito filler doesn't have a chromed end-of-barrel-cap like most other Operas :noidea:

Stop?

Cw

It is early December now !!! Has your Cosmos turned up yet ??????
:boink:

Tracy Lee
December 1st, 2013, 04:50 PM
It just made me notice that my blue typhoon mosquito filler doesn't have a chromed end-of-barrel-cap like most other Operas :noidea:

Stop?

Cw

No, and I sat quite patiently at the mailbox. I told my Mister I am not moving until it comes. And the Divina still not home, I need to call. Hoping for a full family photo by Christmas. :thumbup:

lisantica
December 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM

Thank you Bogon07, what kind of end-of-barrel-cap does yours have?

lisantica
December 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
Love it, and have been looking for one of those - that particular Visconti. Thanks for sharing. :-) It certainly is easy to get spoiled.

Thank you Tracy Lee.
I just began exploring the fountain pen community, so I'm not really qualified to say this next statement, but I feel compelled to, "Buy one if you see one!"
Darn pricey buggers though. In this case, I did buy on the second-hand market and I can say that I feel that I got what I paid for. Always a good feeling. :D

john
December 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM

Stop?

Cw

No, and I sat quite patiently at the mailbox. I told my Mister I am not moving until it comes. And the Divina still not home, I need to call. Hoping for a full family photo by Christmas. :thumbup:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4It's for you Tracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeShHAZk3to

Tracy Lee
December 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM

Stop?

Cw

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4It's for you Tracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeShHAZk3to

The content says it is blocked here so I can't see it. But I bet it's awesome and I would be nodding "Yes, please" to all of it. :-)

Bogon07
December 2nd, 2013, 02:32 PM

Thank you Bogon07, what kind of end-of-barrel-cap does yours have?

It is the same material as the barrel with a chrome ring between it and the barrel.

(see post #405 - top row 3rd pen from the left - the big dark blue marble one)

lisantica
December 2nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
It is the same material as the barrel with a chrome ring between it and the barrel.
(see post #405 - top row 3rd pen from the left - the big dark blue marble one)
Ahhh, I see now. Not sure why it's like that, but it sure looks nice the way yours is.

lisantica
December 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM
Bogon07, I think I figured it out.
Yours is a Visconti Opera Club Blue Typhoon
Mine is a Visconti Opera Master Demo LE 2008
But I believe the main difference is the Club vs. Master

Bogon07
December 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Lisantica, here is John's post #399 (on page20) from earlier in this thread showing his Opera Club blue typhoon. As you can see bit different from the bigger Zanzara* Mosquito filler version.
* that is what the seller has in the description on his site. I cannot recall seeing it elsewhere.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Visconti-Opera-Zanzara-Mosquito-Crystal-Blue-Typhoon-Only-1-000-Made-/221146063693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d55234d#ht_2688wt_1169

John, how is the nib these days, has it improved with age ?

lisantica
December 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Lisantica, here is John's post #399 (on page20) from earlier in this thread showing his Opera Club blue typhoon. As you can see bit different from the bigger Zanzara* Mosquito filler version.

Ahhh yes, I see what you mean.

Mags
December 3rd, 2013, 08:37 PM
The Opera Blue Typhoon LE is a sweet pen. It's nib is way nicer than my VIsconti HS Midi for example.

john
December 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
* that is what the seller has in the description on his site. I cannot recall seeing it elsewhere.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Visconti-Opera-Zanzara-Mosquito-Crystal-Blue-Typhoon-Only-1-000-Made-/221146063693?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337d55234d#ht_2688wt_1169

John, how is the nib these days, has it improved with age ?It is smooth after I polish it. But I seldom write with my Viscontis nowadays:).

Bogon07
December 4th, 2013, 02:25 PM
It is smooth after I polish it. But I seldom write with my Viscontis nowadays:).
Aw, it is a bit sad you're not getting the enjoyment of using them although good they will be keeping their pristine condition and just looking at them is enjoyable too.

john
December 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM
It is smooth after I polish it. But I seldom write with my Viscontis nowadays:).
Aw, it is a bit sad you're not getting the enjoyment of using them although good they will be keeping their pristine condition and just looking at them is enjoyable too.When looking at my Viscontis is enjoyable:) Especially my 3 Operas, I like them very much. But feeling boring when write with the RMs...:lazy2:although their colour pattern are great.

Tracy Lee
December 19th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I had a few days in Washington DC this week, and slipped away on Tuesday to spend an hour with the good folks at Fahrney's Pens. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/avusytyb.jpg I wandered around and particularly enjoyed seeing and handling the Visconti Cosmos Collection. The American Dream I ordered arrives Friday so I am very excited but wanted to see all three. Pictures don't do them justice. I ended up buying no pens but a few other things like http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/a6useman.jpg. Most importantly I remembered to ask if they had the My Pen system and they did. So we swapped the cap medallion on the Homo Sapiens Bronze I had with me and put my initials in. I love how it turned out. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/arujyneg.jpg That was free. Then I spent a few bucks and put a Scorpion on the top of my Visconti Opera Typhoon just for fun and I really love that too. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/ubyjygan.jpg So, a very good visit!

kaisnowbird
December 19th, 2013, 06:10 AM
A very good visit indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Robert
December 19th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Looks like you scored a bottle of Iroshizuku yama-guri. My favorite brown ink!

Tracy Lee
December 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Looks like you scored a bottle of Iroshizuku yama-guri. My favorite brown ink!

Both inks a total impulse buy. Hell, so was the pen flush. They had a display of preppies full of each Iroshizuku ink, and they were cap down in the slots so you leave the cap in the display when you pull out the pen. GREAT way to sample ink colors. The prices were way too high, but whatever. The other bottle is Mont Blanc -Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green I think? TOTAL impulse. I have no idea what the color looks like. I had fun, though. When in Fahrney's . . . well, you know. I just enjoyed myself. And my American Dream should be delivered tomorrow. :sly::o:)

AndyT
December 20th, 2013, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=Robert;54261]The other bottle is Mont Blanc -Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green I think? TOTAL impulse. I have no idea what the color looks like.

Right up your street I'd guess, Tracy Lee. :) I had a sample, and would certainly make room for a bottle if I could find one at a sensible price.

Bogon07
December 20th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Nice haul, those my pen initials & scorpion look really spiffy on your HSBronze & Opera. And yet more inks for you to tryout too. Do the initials come in either silver or gold versions ?

lisantica
December 21st, 2013, 04:37 AM
Tracy Lee, I enjoyed viewing your photos and reading about your little excursion. That's my kind of day! :thumb:

john
December 21st, 2013, 05:32 AM
Nice haul, those my pen initials & scorpion look really spiffy on your HSBronze & Opera. And yet more inks for you to tryout too. Do the initials come in either silver or gold versions ?Those initials come with silver and gold version, you can find them on ebay. Also have some gem stones and eastern and western zodiacs to match your Visconti.

Tracy Lee
December 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Nice haul, those my pen initials & scorpion look really spiffy on your HSBronze & Opera. And yet more inks for you to tryout too. Do the initials come in either silver or gold versions ?

The sheets of initials were sort of strange. They came in this very bronze looking metal, and then a set was markedly more "yellow" and looked a bit strange, but maybe would look fine with a basic gold finish. Would not have looked good on the HS bronze at all. My beef with the my pen system is that you can't get everything in both a gold or silver finish and it looks funny (to me anyway) to put something with a silver finish on a pen with bronze or gold finishes. It could be that no one I have encountered with the system has the whole selection, I don't know. Still it was fun to look through all the choices.

raging.dragon
December 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM

That looks like a stylographic pen.

http://www.vintagepens.com/stylos.shtml

raging.dragon
December 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the nib and the feed from the section of the Opera club?
Thanks.

The big Visconti nib units will usually unscrew like a Bock or JoWo nib. Sometimes they're too tight to unscrew, in which case one can either use the nib removal tool, or pull the nib and feed from the collar into which they're friction fit.

raging.dragon
December 29th, 2013, 12:39 AM
[...]In my collection I have four double reservoir power fillers and they all have an ink window. I have three ordinary (single reservoir) power fillers and none of them has an ink window. This leads me to believe that only the double reservoir power fillers have ink windows.[...]

In general: double reservoir power fillers have ink windows and (single reservoir) power fillers don't. However, there seem to be a few exceptions. I have a low number Michael Angelo Grande which has an ink window yet is either a (single reservoir) power filler or a broken double reservoir power filler (this is one of the first models with the double reservoir power filler, so it's conceivable the first few actually had the older power filler). I've also read about a Rebecca Moss pen that had a double reservoir power filler without an ink window.

Bogon07
December 29th, 2013, 03:04 AM
[...]In my collection I have four double reservoir power fillers and they all have an ink window. I have three ordinary (single reservoir) power fillers and none of them has an ink window. This leads me to believe that only the double reservoir power fillers have ink windows.[...]

In general: double reservoir power fillers have ink windows and (single reservoir) power fillers don't. However, there seem to be a few exceptions. I have a low number Michael Angelo Grande which has an ink window yet is either a (single reservoir) power filler or a broken double reservoir power filler (this is one of the first models with the double reservoir power filler, so it's conceivable the first few actually had the older power filler). I've also read about a Rebecca Moss pen that had a double reservoir power filler without an ink window.

The RebeccaMoss Verona Vino Chianti red demonstrator has a transparent body with red/black/white swirls but no ink window & the yellow version is similar. There is also a solid orange/persimmon RM FlatTop Voyager with no ink window that appears to act like a DRPF.
There are probably others as a new RM variation seems to turn up every few months :confused:

artb
December 29th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Greetings all - I have a couple of Visconti pens in my which I have some questions about. The first is in regards to the Divina Proporzione Enigma. When this pen was first introduced, there was a contest of sorts for people to identify the 5 numbers that added up to 1618 that were part of the pen. The clues (provided in the material with the pen) were: cap + clip + section + barrel + filler = PHI. FPN had the solution posted, but FPN seems to have fallen to the bottom of the old inkwell. Some of the items I remember, such as clip = 8 (the number of letters in Visconti). Cap = 69 (the number revealed when you remove the MyPen personalization cap). Filler = 377 (the sum of the last 2 numbers in the Fibonacci sequence inscribed on the filler barrel). Does anyone know what the values were for Section and Barrel?

My second question relates to the Visconti Kaleido series of pens. I purchased one from Bertram's Inkwell many years ago and was told that this specific item was an off-run from a bar of extra stock and only 100 pieces were made. It has all the right trim and a two tone Visconti FP nib, but the color of the cap and barrel is a pale almost-translucent yellow with black and white threads. If it weren't for the fact that Bertram's is a very well known and established dealer, I would suspect the pen to be a fake. I have attached a photograph of the pen, box and instructions - I would be interested in confirming that this was indeed an off run of 100 pieces. Thanks

Simon Pen-Pusher
December 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I completely agree. Although Visconti is a relatively "new-comer" compared to OMAS and Montegrappa, it is certainly a very well established brand with a strong market share and a wide range of pen models.

It does on all measures deserve a thread of its own.

I'm a newcomer my self to FPGeeks and was surprised I could not find a Visconti place.

And, Tracy, I absolutely agree with your opinion of the Homo Sapiens - it is one of my all-time favourites. The nibs and the ink-flow are superb. I have the sterling silver with the 23kt 1.3mm italic and a bronze with a fine nib.

At the other end, I also love the Rembrandt - brilliant steel nibs.
Simon.

Simon Pen-Pusher
December 29th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Artb,

While I cannot be 100% sure, my understanding of Visconti Limited Edition pens (where items are sold a x of y) is that Visconti engraves (these days on the cap I think because a fountain pen is useless without its cap) the x/100 on the pen. And Visconti includes some sort of certificate of authenticity showing the x/100 included in the box.

Any pen that is specifically x/y in production numbers is then a limited edition pen.

Maybe the dealer was telling you the pen you have was a "short run" i.e. only about y pens were made. That is not limited edition, just a short run or even a "special run".

I have 1 limited edition Visconti - the Typhoon Blu Divina which is a genuine x/100 as engraved on the cap and stated on the certificate of authenticity.

All the same, the Kaleido Voyager is a fantastic pen. I have a gold Kaleido and it is a brilliant pen in every respect.

Tracy Lee
December 29th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Artb,

While I cannot be 100% sure, my understanding of Visconti Limited Edition pens (where items are sold a x of y) is that Visconti engraves (these days on the cap I think because a fountain pen is useless without its cap) the x/100 on the pen. And Visconti includes some sort of certificate of authenticity showing the x/100 included in the box.

Any pen that is specifically x/y in production numbers is then a limited edition pen.

Maybe the dealer was telling you the pen you have was a "short run" i.e. only about y pens were made. That is not limited edition, just a short run or even a "special run".

I have 1 limited edition Visconti - the Typhoon Blu Divina which is a genuine x/100 as engraved on the cap and stated on the certificate of authenticity.

All the same, the Kaleido Voyager is a fantastic pen. I have a gold Kaleido and it is a brilliant pen in every respect.

I would agree with this. I have a Kaleido Voyager, my papers and the pen look just like yours so that, in conjunction with where you purchased it, should have you knowing it is not a fake (mine a different color of course). I have numerous limited edition Visconti pens and if they were a true LE there would be such a designation on the pen. All of mine are engraved somewhere on the pen, but not in the same place. Top barrel band, bottom barrel band, end of the barrel, and one on the cap. I think it is probably more likely that it was just a certain number made because of limited material. If you look in this thread, you will see that Visconti has a social media side they are building. Maybe send them the picture and it's brief history and see what they tell you? I bet they would respond, and then you would have some real provenance, so to speak. In the meantime, you have a beautiful pen with a fantastic nib that writes beautifully, so good on you for that.

Bogon07
December 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Artb, that is a lovely looking Voyager. It is like a variation on the more common Honey/Almond Voyager.
The material appears very similar to that used in Visconti Rebecca Moss N.Y. Verona double reservoir plunger filler demonstrators. These have a translucent yellow barrel with the swirly yellow & white material like your Voyager for the section, cap and end-cap.

artb
December 29th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Artb,

Simon - I agree with your statement. My other LEs from Visconti come with a card identifying the model, make and edition number. The pens also have the x / y engraved on them - either on the cap (as my Ripple has) or on the bottom of the filler piston (as on my Divine Proportion). I will have to see what social media they are using - so far, I have avoided those platforms. Maybe it is time for me to finally join in.
Thanks
ArtB

If anyone has any information on the Divine Proportion Enigma, please let me know - I'm trying to create a web site for my pens and would like the history to go with the photos.

Tracy Lee
December 29th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Artb,

Simon - I agree with your statement. My other LEs from Visconti come with a card identifying the model, make and edition number. The pens also have the x / y engraved on them - either on the cap (as my Ripple has) or on the bottom of the filler piston (as on my Divine Proportion). I will have to see what social media they are using - so far, I have avoided those platforms. Maybe it is time for me to finally join in.
Thanks
ArtB

If anyone has any information on the Divine Proportion Enigma, please let me know - I'm trying to create a web site for my pens and would like the history to go with the photos.

Primarily it is a website for sharing your pictures with Visconti. I think they have a Facebook page, too. But they encourage the email. You can ask that they not share the photo anywhere if that is uncomfortable, I am quite sure they would accommodate the request.

raging.dragon
December 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM

The RebeccaMoss Verona Vino Chianti red demonstrator has a transparent body with red/black/white swirls but no ink window & the yellow version is similar. There is also a solid orange/persimmon RM FlatTop Voyager with no ink window that appears to act like a DRPF.
There are probably others as a new RM variation seems to turn up every few months :confused:

It was the orange flat top that I'd read about. The Rebecca Moss line seems to include several pens that break the rules followed by most other Viscontis.

Bogon07
December 30th, 2013, 05:22 PM

It was the orange flat top that I'd read about. The Rebecca Moss line seems to include several pens that break the rules followed by most other Viscontis.
This orange/persimmon Flattop even seems at odds with the styling of other Rebecca Moss design pens with three rings on the cap band and no ink window for a (DR?)piston filler.

Artslut
January 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM
I am 90% resolved to buy a homo sapiens bronze with medium nib. Many of you have expressed admiration for the pen and i note that for many it is a favourite. No pen shop locally, so purchase by mail from a reputable dealer. Does anyone have any words of caution or concerns?

Llewellyn
January 1st, 2014, 02:51 PM
I've bought a few pens from Marco at Novelli.it and he's a top shelf guy to deal with. His prices are excellent, no hassles at all and he ships by Fedex. My package got from his shop in Italy to my house in Australia in 3 days. The prices won't be listed on the website but you just ask for an email quote and you will receive an instant reply with the price, then there's a follow up email that has a link to complete the purchase. Might sound harder than it actually is.

Check FPN if you need any reviews of the business

BTW you'll love the HS. They're a beautiful pen to look at and to write with

Tracy Lee
January 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM
I am 90% resolved to buy a homo sapiens bronze with medium nib. Many of you have expressed admiration for the pen and i note that for many it is a favourite. No pen shop locally, so purchase by mail from a reputable dealer. Does anyone have any words of caution or concerns?

The section can stain if you dip the nib into the inks too far and don't thoroughly wipe down after each fill. The volcanic material is super durable and can take a little scrubbing with soap and water if needed, as I have learned, so it isn't much of a big deal. The bronze gets a wonderful patina that I go out of my way to preserve, but if you like shiny bronze you will need to give it a buff from time to time. And also, you will love it so much that your other pens will be neglected so there is that concern . . . ;)

Artslut
January 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM

The section can stain if you dip the nib into the inks too far and don't thoroughly wipe down after each fill. The volcanic material is super durable and can take a little scrubbing with soap and water if needed, as I have learned, so it isn't much of a big deal.

Useful information thanks a bunch. Has anyone tried this pen with mont blanc seaweed green ink?

Tracy Lee
January 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM

The section can stain if you dip the nib into the inks too far and don't thoroughly wipe down after each fill. The volcanic material is super durable and can take a little scrubbing with soap and water if needed, as I have learned, so it isn't much of a big deal.

Useful information thanks a bunch. Has anyone tried this pen with mont blanc seaweed green ink?

I have the pen, and the ink, but haven't put them together. The ink looks pretty good with the medium nib in my Blue Ripple though so it would work fine. I am not one to match pen to ink, I go by how the ink looks in a particular nib size, so I say go for it!

Murfie
January 1st, 2014, 07:31 PM
I've bought a few pens from Marco at Novelli.it and he's a top shelf guy to deal with.
I'll second those remarks. Marco is fabulous to deal with. And at the moment Novelli is offering FedEx courier delivery to anywhere for just €10. The nib on the HS is wonderful to use. Great choice.

Artslut
January 1st, 2014, 09:07 PM

I have the pen, and the ink, but haven't put them together. The ink looks pretty good with the medium nib in my Blue Ripple though so it would work fine. I am not one to match pen to ink, I go by how the ink looks in a particular nib size, so I say go for it!

Thanks tracy, i know what you mean, but having really liked seeing how that ink performed in a nice wet pen i bought a sheaffer legacy with a broad nib in which to use it. It turns out that the ink performs very poorly in it. So, i thought i would ask before getting my hopes up with a new pen.

raging.dragon
January 2nd, 2014, 12:58 AM

I have no personal experience with the Homo Sapiens. Since others are recommending dealers, I've bought most of my Viscontis from Chatterley Luxuries. If you'd prefer a Canadian dealer, I've also bought from stylo.ca, and stylusfinepens.com also have an online store. And of course there are many other good and reputable dealers.

Llewellyn
January 2nd, 2014, 02:36 AM
I hope someone with a bit more experience of Visconti's can help me with a recent incident with one of my Van Gogh's that uses a converter.

While writing, the ink stopped flowing. Time for a refill I thought. I opened it up and found the converter was still about two thirds full. By trial and error I found that if I screwed the piston in until the point where a drop of ink forms under the nib (almost to the point of dripping) and wind it back just a fraction until that drop disappears back into the nib, then the ink flows again without any problem.

Is this what is supposed to happen? Do I need to occasionally twist the piston to keep the ink flowing into the nib or am I doing something wrong when I first fill the converter. I notice that there's always a bit of air left between the ink and the piston after I've refilled - should the converter be completely full of ink after I've refilled it. Is my technique wrong? Thanks

Tracy Lee
January 2nd, 2014, 05:40 AM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have a few inks that cause this in certain converters and it seems to be more ink related than converter related. For example, I have trouble with PW Akkerman inks in some of my Visconti converters, but it flows okay in my power fillers, and better in my eyedroppers. Visconti sometimes has issues with their converters not having as good of a seal to the section as they should and air can be a factor. Even with my power fillers I tend to leave the blind cap unscrewed while writing so the pen won't be starved of air while writing. Two things that have helped me:

1. Try a different brand of ink if you can and see if there is a difference. Certain ink brands are just not great in a Visconti and it varies.

2. When you fill, immediately empty, refill, empty and fill again without lifting the pen from the bottle. I have found this helps the Visconti converters perform better, and you will see the ink really fill in the whole space. It helps to work out the air issues, too.

Let us know how it goes.

Llewellyn
January 2nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have a few inks that cause this in certain converters and it seems to be more ink related than converter related. For example, I have trouble with PW Akkerman inks in some of my Visconti converters, but it flows okay in my power fillers, and better in my eyedroppers. Visconti sometimes has issues with their converters not having as good of a seal to the section as they should and air can be a factor. Even with my power fillers I tend to leave the blind cap unscrewed while writing so the pen won't be starved of air while writing. Two things that have helped me:

1. Try a different brand of ink if you can and see if there is a difference. Certain ink brands are just not great in a Visconti and it varies.

2. When you fill, immediately empty, refill, empty and fill again without lifting the pen from the bottle. I have found this helps the Visconti converters perform better, and you will see the ink really fill in the whole space. It helps to work out the air issues, too.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Tracy. I'll give this a try. I'm still relatively new to the FP world so I'm still finding my feet with this sort of thing.

raging.dragon
January 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
I hope someone with a bit more experience of Visconti's can help me with a recent incident with one of my Van Gogh's that uses a converter.

While writing, the ink stopped flowing. Time for a refill I thought. I opened it up and found the converter was still about two thirds full. By trial and error I found that if I screwed the piston in until the point where a drop of ink forms under the nib (almost to the point of dripping) and wind it back just a fraction until that drop disappears back into the nib, then the ink flows again without any problem.

Is this what is supposed to happen? Do I need to occasionally twist the piston to keep the ink flowing into the nib or am I doing something wrong when I first fill the converter. I notice that there's always a bit of air left between the ink and the piston after I've refilled - should the converter be completely full of ink after I've refilled it. Is my technique wrong? Thanks

This is a common problem with converters, not limited to Visconti, and your method of dealing with it is pretty much standard. I've read that Faber Castell converters are less prone to this than most brands, presumably because they are made with different plastics. Such issues are rarely encountered with cartridges, piston filler, power (plunger) fillers, etc. because of the different plastics used in their construction.

The cause is surface interactions between the ink and plastic of the converter, which cause the ink to "stick" in the upper part of the converter starving the feed of ink. In addition to using the converter piston to force ink into the feed, you can experiment with different inks and different converters. Visconti use standard long international converters, so converters from many other brands will fit, just keep in mind that some converters screw into place which others are simply pressed into place and sometimes screw in converters won't fit pens made for push in converters, and vice versa (both my Visconti converters are of the screw in type).

Llewellyn
January 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM

This is a common problem with converters, not limited to Visconti, and your method of dealing with it is pretty much standard. I've read that Faber Castell converters are less prone to this than most brands, presumably because they are made with different plastics. Such issues are rarely encountered with cartridges, piston filler, power (plunger) fillers, etc. because of the different plastics used in their construction.

The cause is surface interactions between the ink and plastic of the converter, which cause the ink to "stick" in the upper part of the converter starving the feed of ink. In addition to using the converter piston to force ink into the feed, you can experiment with different inks and different converters. Visconti use standard long international converters, so converters from many other brands will fit, just keep in mind that some converters screw into place which others are simply pressed into place and sometimes screw in converters won't fit pens made for push in converters, and vice versa (both my Visconti converters are of the screw in type).

Thank you so much for this info. It just shows how much I still have to learn about fountain pens. I honestly thought ink was just ink and that you put it in the converter and wrote away until it ran out. It simply never occurred to me that the properties of ink could interact with the plastics and affect the performance. It's also handy to know that you can use other converters. I thought they were Visconti-specific.

Thank you again Tracy and Raging Dragon for answering my question

raging.dragon
January 3rd, 2014, 02:25 AM
Thank you so much for this info. It just shows how much I still have to learn about fountain pens. I honestly thought ink was just ink and that you put it in the converter and wrote away until it ran out. It simply never occurred to me that the properties of ink could interact with the plastics and affect the performance. It's also handy to know that you can use other converters. I thought they were Visconti-specific.

In an ideal world it would be that easy, unfortunately.... :(

Most brands use "international standard" cartridges and converters, though a few (most notably Sheaffer and the big Japanese brands) use proprietary converter designs, while Parker, Aurora, and (I believe) Lamy use Parker cartridges and converters.

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
Just because I don't have any Visconti pens and because Tracy liked it on Instagram. :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/11674992744_02539edbce_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/11674992744/)
My jaw dropped with this Visconti set. #halperspens (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/11674992744/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

Tracy Lee
January 3rd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Just because I don't have any Visconti pens and because Tracy liked it on Instagram. :)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/11674992744_02539edbce_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/11674992744/)
My jaw dropped with this Visconti set. #halperspens (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/11674992744/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

Gonna like it here again, too. Love this set.

Artslut
January 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM
Well, i just ordered a homo sapiens bronze from pentime. As my dear friend Borat said: "I'm excite". Also ordered some stipula moss green and aurora blue ink. Very nice!

Llewellyn
January 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Well, i just ordered a homo sapiens bronze from pentime. As my dear friend Borat said: "I'm excite". Also ordered some stipula moss green and aurora blue ink. Very nice!

I think you'll like the Homo Sapiens.

Llewellyn
January 3rd, 2014, 08:34 PM
While we're talking about the Homo Sapiens, the cap of mine is a deep black colour but the barrel seems lighter and almost looks like it has a whitish tinge/film to it. So much so that when the two parts are joined together you could almost think they are from two different pens. I'm sure they were both the same sort of colour when I got it.

I've just assumed that the oils etc from my hand is having this effect on the material in the barrel -is that possible? Could something else be going on here?

Tracy Lee
January 3rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
While we're talking about the Homo Sapiens, the cap of mine is a deep black colour but the barrel seems lighter and almost looks like it has a whitish tinge/film to it. So much so that when the two parts are joined together you could almost think they are from two different pens. I'm sure they were both the same sort of colour when I got it.

I've just assumed that the oils etc from my hand is having this effect on the material in the barrel -is that possible? Could something else be going on here?

My bronze and my steel look nothing alike. The bronze is darker (the pen itself I mean) with very little surface variation at all. My steel one looked like white powder got sprinkled on the body as it dried, it is light and very different looking. It is unfortunate you have the difference in cap and body. Not sure if your hand oils have any effect or not, the material is hygroscopic (absorbs small amounts of moisture) so I would think that would make it darker if anything. I have gotten my steel wet entirely, and it is still as light and speckled as the day I bought it.

I think what you see is a quirk of the volcanic material. You could always talk to Visconti about getting a cap that better matches the body, they have great customer service in my experience.

Artslut
January 3rd, 2014, 09:51 PM

On another board- and with my sheaffer using a converter- someone had suggested soaking the converter overnight in soapy water and even a bit of ammonia to fix this sort of problem. I couldn't bring myself to use ammonia, but your post inspired me to try it last night with soapy water. I will report back if i get through a cartridge without incident- and even if i don't.

Artslut
January 4th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Following up... I am very surprised to report that using regular dishwashing soap to soak and flush out my converter has made a significant difference and that i got through two converters full of ink without any of the former problems. I filled and expelled soapy water four or five times then left the cartridge to soak for about an hour, expelled the soapy water and flushed it out numerous times with tap water. I don' t know if this is recommended generally and whether there could be any longer term consequences, most pen sellers caution one to use water only, but this seems to have made an improvement to this pen.

Llewellyn
January 10th, 2014, 07:27 PM
After a recommendation at FPN about a place in Sydney that has reasonable prices for pens, I wandered off to Peters of Kensington, and now have a Van Gogh from the earlier series in the mail on it's way to me.

The colour is described as Musk and it looks really good in the photo's (can't wait to see the real thing). The problem of course, is how I'll explain it to my wife when a package lands on the doorstep, after I had said I was done with buying FP's until Visconti release the next batch in the current Van Gogh series (later this year apparently).

So while I contemplate how to do that, can anyone with experience of both of the Van Gogh series give me their opinions on how they compare.

Bogon07
January 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM
After a recommendation at FPN about a place in Sydney that has reasonable prices for pens, I wandered off to Peters of Kensington, and now have a Van Gogh from the earlier series in the mail on it's way to me.

The colour is described as Musk and it looks really good in the photo's (can't wait to see the real thing). The problem of course, is how I'll explain it to my wife when a package lands on the doorstep, after I had said I was done with buying FP's until Visconti release the next batch in the current Van Gogh series (later this year apparently).

So while I contemplate how to do that, can anyone with experience of both of the Van Gogh series give me their opinions on how they compare.

Congratulations on your new old VanGogh. The musk ones are really variable in colouring. One side of mine is green and the other is a tan & brown.
Have fun enjoying it.
TracyLee has both versions & I recall she prefers the old Maxi to the new one with the magnetic cap. I think the new usually comes with a steel nib while the old comes with a silver coloured 14K gold nib or atleast mine did.

Bogon07
January 10th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Visconti Cosmos Black Stardust LE from Chatterley Luxuries/Pentime with the usual flamboyant thank-you from Bryant (unfortunately he didn't note what pen or ink he used).

I selected a 23K Palladium Dreamtouch 1.3 Stub nib for this pen.
A really smooth flowing nib.

There are three stars on the band near the piston filler cap and the edition number on the end.
I found it very hard to capture the gold dust streaks & swirls embedded within the resin/lava composite of this pen. Especially on the barrel which at first glance looks just a gloss black.
You can see things a bit better on the cap & the Voyager style clip.
Over on the Chatterley there are some more professional pictures of the pen.
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/visconti-fountain-pen-cosmos-limited-edition-black-stardust-voyager/

Size comparison with a Persimmon FlatTop Rebecca Moss Voyager power filler & a Honey/Almond C/C Voyager.
It is about the same length as the Honey/Almond & 2-3 mm longer than the FlatTop.