PDA

View Full Version : Visconti

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

crystn625
January 9th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Hi all Happy New Year!
I am debating between a divina and a homo sapiens or both :D. I have read a number of reviews, and hunted through the forums but would appreciate your feedback. Which one do you recommend and why? Thanks!!!!!

mulrich
January 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Both pens use the same #6 palladium nib so the writing performance is basically identical; differences are likely just random noise from the manufacturing process. The Divina probably has a smaller ink capacity since it uses a captured converter but I don't know the actual capacities. Both are similarly sized, large pens. I can post side by side comparison pictures if you're interested.

Bogon07
January 10th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Both pens use the same #6 palladium nib so the writing performance is basically identical; differences are likely just random noise from the manufacturing process. The Divina probably has a smaller ink capacity since it uses a captured converter but I don't know the actual capacities. Both are similarly sized, large pens. I can post side by side comparison pictures if you're interested.

Both the HS Steel & Divina Elegance (& Desert Springs) are available as Maxi (#6 nib) & Midi (#4). I think the HS midi may also be a captive converter.
Also HS Bronze Age and Sterling Sliver Maxis. There are a bunch of other Divinas too.

There are also HS (Blue) Crystal & (Green) Florentine Hills Double Reservoir Piston Fillers with transparent barrels so you can see your ink levels.

crystn625
January 10th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the information, it does make the decision slightly easier knowing that the decision is more aesthetics focused. Mind sharing which one you end up using more?

crystn625
January 10th, 2016, 07:04 PM

Both the HS Steel & Divina Elegance (& Desert Springs) are available as Maxi (#6 nib) & Midi (#4). I think the HS midi may also be a captive converter.
Also HS Bronze Age and Sterling Sliver Maxis. There are a bunch of other Divinas too.

There are also HS (Blue) Crystal & (Green) Florentine Hills Double Reservoir Piston Fillers with transparent barrels so you can see your ink levels.

Oh my, I saw the double reservoir piston fillers beautiful! I wish more of the visconti's had some sort of ink window. I dream about a lava homo sapeins with a small ink window, or a blue divina with a ink window... It would be nice to have some idea of ink level.

mulrich
January 11th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Oh my, I saw the double reservoir piston fillers beautiful! I wish more of the visconti's had some sort of ink window. I dream about a lava homo sapeins with a small ink window, or a blue divina with a ink window... It would be nice to have some idea of ink level.

Visconti is at least toying with the idea of a Homo Sapiens with an ink window (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4C6-TTurA&feature=youtu.be) but I don't know if they will ever move to mass production.

mulrich
January 11th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the information, it does make the decision slightly easier knowing that the decision is more aesthetics focused. Mind sharing which one you end up using more?

I probably prefer the HS. It's not quite as flashy, which fits my style more. The HS is also a bit smaller and fits into my shirt pocket a little easier.

perdification
January 27th, 2016, 07:29 AM
Just curious to know, what's the appeal with the Divina black when compared to the Blue and the Brown one? The Brown and Blue ones have swirls and depth, but the Black one is just plain black? Is there something that I'm missing out from the photos that I will see in real life?

broadoblique
January 27th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Sorry for jumping in here so late, but
If you like the Homo Sapiens and wish to see the iin level this pen comes in three colorful demonstrators. Crystal (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=visconti+crystal+homo), Florentine Hills (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=visconti+florentine) and Crimson Tide (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1)
I have the Florentine and absolutely love it.

Have fun

Bogon07
January 27th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Sorry for jumping in here so late, but
If you like the Homo Sapiens and wish to see the iin level this pen comes in three colorful demonstrators. Crystal (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=visconti+crystal+homo), Florentine Hills (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=visconti+florentine) and Crimson Tide (https://www.google.com/search?q=visconti+Crimson+tide&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS595US595&espv=2&biw=1368&bih=758&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiobX7q8rKAhUL9WMKHWyEAXYQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1)
I have the Florentine and absolutely love it.
Have fun
I think you will find the Crimson Tide is an Opera Master type of demo pen rather than a Homo Sapiens.
There is also an old Opera Master with the same material as the HS Crystal.

katanankes
February 8th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Warning. Divina is great in aesthetics, but it sports a "captive converter", that is one of the wrost filling systems in the world... very tricky to use and you never know if it loads. Homo Sapiens is better in this respect... power filler is a good filling system (akin a vacumatic or Pilot 823) but the absence of an ink window can make you crazy. I personally prefer the Opera Master or the Homo Sapiens demonstrators.

crystn625
February 8th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Warning. Divina is great in aesthetics, but it sports a "captive converter", that is one of the wrost filling systems in the world... very tricky to use and you never know if it loads. Homo Sapiens is better in this respect... power filler is a good filling system (akin a vacumatic or Pilot 823) but the absence of an ink window can make you crazy. I personally prefer the Opera Master or the Homo Sapiens demonstrators.

I haven't checked out the opera masters yet, that seems like a great option. I completely agree the lack of an ink window is moderately unnerving! I am hoping that visconti does make a lava homo sapien with the small ink window (not those huge windows on the side), or the same with the divina. That would be perfect!

carlc
February 10th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Here is Rozmenko's photo. It has a medium 23K nib. Similar material to that used in the Kakadu, the swirl is perhaps a lighter tan.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oBYAAOSwFnFWBPRB/s-l1600.jpg
Ooh. How is it?

I bought one off FPN yesterday. I'd been looking all over for an opera club but couldn't find one. Then I saw the Fedon and thought 'that's an opera'!

Bogon07
February 10th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Here is Rozmenko's photo. It has a medium 23K nib. Similar material to that used in the Kakadu, the swirl is perhaps a lighter tan.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oBYAAOSwFnFWBPRB/s-l1600.jpg
Ooh. How is it?

I bought one off FPN yesterday. I'd been looking all over for an opera club but couldn't find one. Then I saw the Fedon and thought 'that's an opera'!
Congratulations on your new pen.
I'm very pleased with it. It really is an Opera with a nicely styled clip. The tan & black resin is very similar to the one used in the new Visconti Manhattan 2016.

Liston
March 17th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I received a Visconti Opera Master Gold Point No.1 from Rozmenko last week, and this is now my grail pen. I have never experienced a fine nib that was so smooth out of the box.
In keep with the colour of the pen, I inked it up with MB Toffee Brown and it's a perfect pairing.

Driften
July 22nd, 2018, 06:46 PM
This thread is too good to let die. So I am going to post pics of my new Visconti's.
I picked up a new Visconti Opera Club Sparkling Blu Deep Ocean Limited Edition with medium 23k pd nib. Mine is #086 of 200 and has the number engraved on the back of the cap. I picked it up from Fiorenza Luxuries PTY LTD (rozmenko on eBay) in Australia.

I am really liking the pen other then two minor things. The nib writes a bit more of a fine then a medium. The other thing is it taking 2 1/4 turns to uncap. But those are both minor compared to how nice a pen it is.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/ViscontiOpera-1.png

Just before getting the Opera I bought a Visconti HS Elegance maxi with B nib from CultPens off clearance. I LOVE this pen! The nib is half way between M and B, but I love the way it writes and maybe my favorite pen right now. Its at or near the top of my list in any case. It made me want to try out more Visconti pens. After it and the Opera I think I want a midi HS of some sort for everyday pocket carry to use in place of my Pelikan m605. The hook safe cap is just so great for taking quick notes. Just have not decided yet on another Elegance or a Bronze or Dark age. Not liking the idea of a captured converter when a real converter in the elegance can be maintained and checked for ink level, but lava might be worth the trade offs and slightly more money.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/ViscontiHSE-1.png

Sinistral1
July 27th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Hi All:

I have recently acquired a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Midi and am having problems filling it. Has anybody else out there with a HS midi figured out how to get a full fill with this "captured converter filling system" or is it just my technique that is lacking? Any advise / help would be appreciated.

KrazyIvan
July 27th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Hi All:

I have recently acquired a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Midi and am having problems filling it. Has anybody else out there with a HS midi figured out how to get a full fill with this "captured converter filling system" or is it just my technique that is lacking? Any advise / help would be appreciated.

It fills like any other converter pen. Make sure the nib is fully submerged in ink. Yes, that means part of the section will be in ink and it eventually picks up stains. Out of curiosity, how can you tell it's not filling all the way? I can't see the converter in mine.

Edit. I suppose the Visconti ink pot would give you a better fill than filling from a bottle but that's a $75 add on.

Sinistral1
July 27th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I know it’s not filling because I can only get a half page of writing, like I only dipped the nib and nothing went into the converter.

mulrich
July 27th, 2018, 05:07 PM
After you fill, try emptying the ink into a trashcan to see how much ink was really in the pen. It's possible the pen isn't drawing up ink but it could also be an issue with the nib/feed.

lionheartlee
August 2nd, 2018, 05:17 PM
This is going to sound weird, but I promise it worked for me. Submerge pen and about a 1/8th of grip in the ink. Twist knob until it stops. Don’t take the pen out of the ink! Twist back down, twist up, twist back down. Then after letting the ink drip off the nib and feed (you can also wipe it off) gently tap the pen on a table. Nib straight up in the air, gently being key word. If there is any air in the C/c it should rise to the top. Now slowly twist the knob until ink starts to leak out of the feed. Leaving the knob where it is, submerge back in ink, and twist back down to a full position.

lionheartlee
August 2nd, 2018, 05:17 PM
I love reading this thread, I love Visconti pens! But I might have to part ways with some soon, medical bills in the US are crazy.

Scooby921
August 3rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
This is going to sound weird, but I promise it worked for me. Submerge pen and about a 1/8th of grip in the ink. Twist knob until it stops. Don’t take the pen out of the ink! Twist back down, twist up, twist back down. Then after letting the ink drip off the nib and feed (you can also wipe it off) gently tap the pen on a table. Nib straight up in the air, gently being key word. If there is any air in the C/c it should rise to the top. Now slowly twist the knob until ink starts to leak out of the feed. Leaving the knob where it is, submerge back in ink, and twist back down to a full position.
This is true for most pens if you want a true full fill. My vac fillers need 2 or 3 actuations of the plunger to get 3/4 full. Converters need at least 2 to get 2/3 full. My Edison pump needed a half a dozen pumps to get 3/4 full. My piston pens require 2 actuations to get more than half full. At least i can see most of them.

If you want a truly full fill with the Visconti HS Midi you can unscrew the nib unit, use a syringe to fill the converter reservoir, reinstall the nib, and then dip the nib and feed to fill them.