PDA

View Full Version : Visconti

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Tracy Lee
January 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I noticed this is not a brand with its own thread. I love this manufacturer and its classic, creative approach to design and the quality they seem to incorporate. I added quite a few to my growing collection and have a feeling 2012 will be the same. Some nibs I haven't been as crazy about (Wall Street, Art Ellenic, Divina Royale) but my Homo Sapiens and my Divina are astoundingly brilliant. I always order medium. Any other Visconti users out there?

eriquito
January 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Howdy Tracy Lee!

If I were forced to choose just one nib to last me the rest of my days, it would be the Visconti 1.3mm 23k palladium stub. Not only is it gorgeous to look at, it's a dream to use.

I've got a Wall Street LE. I've had it for quite some time. I still haven't figured out whether I love or hate the filling system. But it doesn't matter, put that stub nib on a piece of bamboo and I'll happily call it my favorite writing instrument =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Tracy Lee
January 12th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Eric, so good to know another Visconti user! I noticed my kalidescope voyager has a broad nib, one of my first Visconti purchases. I love that too, but you have to have good paper because it is a seriously wet pen. I added an Art Nouveau which arrived last night, but I am not expecting the nib to be any better than the Ellenic which is pretty moderate. I struggle with their filling systems because there are always lots of bubbles in the ink. I have read this is a common problem for Visconti. I just try to be patient. I can't see in the homo sapiens when I fill and it always works fine so that is what matters. Thanks so much for chiming in!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

gordyt
January 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Tracy Lee I have a Visconti Copernicus that I really enjoy. Probably one of my prettiest pens.

eriquito
January 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Beautiful pen! My Wall St. LE is in the same eye-catching red.

So, what nib does your Copernicus sport? =)

Tracy Lee
January 15th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Oh. My. Goodness. So lovely, I haven't seen one of those up close. Thank you for sharing! The clip is really a departure, and looks similar to what they do on their Ragtime. Me likey! :thumbup::)

dannzeman
January 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I don't have a Visconti...yet. The Divina would be my choice, as well as the Ripple. The Wall Street, too.

Also, if there's enough of a demand for a Visconti forum it can certainly be added.

Tracy Lee
January 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM
Divina is a great choice. Slight heft in the hand, easy to hold and a great nib. My clip came off about a month after I bought it and off to Italy it went for repair. Probably an anomaly. Irritating my pen can spend 8 weeks in Italy for $25 (shipping). :p

gordyt
January 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Beautiful pen! My Wall St. LE is in the same eye-catching red.

So, what nib does your Copernicus sport? =)

This one (an acquisition from ebay back in 2004) has a fine nib and is a great writer. No issues at all with it *except* for when I tore the bladder by accident when I had taken it apart. Fortunately bladder repairs are easy and inexpensive! :-)

eriquito
January 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
:eek:
I don't have a Visconti...yet.

You don't have a Visconti?? :eek:

We must remedy this most post-hastily.

eriquito
January 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
This one (an acquisition from ebay back in 2004) has a fine nib and is a great writer.

Came from the Bay, did it? I love hearing eBay acquisition success stories. They all but goad me into clicking Increase Max Bid!

=)

dannzeman
January 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
:eek:

You don't have a Visconti?? :eek:

We must remedy this most post-hastily.
Ok. Just send me your Wall Street. ;)

gordyt
January 22nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Came from the Bay, did it? I love hearing eBay acquisition success stories. They all but goad me into clicking Increase Max Bid!

=)

I've made both very good, and (sadly), very bad ebay pen purchases... Did you know that some people actually sell FAKE Montblanc pens on ebay??? :eek:

dannzeman
January 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I've made both very good, and (sadly), very bad ebay pen purchases... Did you know that some people actually sell FAKE Montblanc pens on ebay??? :eek:
That's why you only buy piston filling Montblancs.

eriquito
January 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ok, we're running away with this Visconti thread. Someone slap me if necessary.

I have heard rumor of fake Montblancs on eBay, but I've never received any information direct from the proverbial horse's mouth.

gordyt, are you such a horse?

gordyt
January 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Ok, we're running away with this Visconti thread. Someone slap me if necessary.

I have heard rumor of fake Montblancs on eBay, but I've never received any information direct from the proverbial horse's mouth.

gordyt, are you such a horse?

Yes but please don't tell anyone. It was back in my early FP/Ebay days!

eriquito
January 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Yes but please don't tell anyone. It was back in my early FP/Ebay days!

My lips are sealed. That goes for my typing fingers, too =)

fountainpenkid
January 27th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I am a temporary visconti user--I am reviewing my grandpa's pen at the moment...honors bio always gets in the way of me finishing the thing....

anyway, I am certainly NOT pleased with the Van Gough maxi (not the new style)--it is very pretty, but the nib on mine is s#$%@. it might just be a dud, (as famous FPN members like Noble Savage have found this pen to have a very good nib..) but it seems to me like the way the design allows for too dry a writing experience....

will

Tracy Lee
January 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe a dud? I have a Maxi and use it regularly. I have a medium nib and it leaves a beautiful line. Maybe the nib needs some TLC. And maybe I am just biased because I truly love Visconti. :eek:

fountainpenkid
January 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Well, you were right--I soaked the nib section overnight in a empty eidelstein bottle :( (I'm running out of ink....), in a soulution of: mostly water, a bit of dish soap (pamolvive pure+clear) and a bit of alchohol. It worked! the pen certainly is a bit smoother(though not that great), but mainly, the nib will right without going dry--my grandpa doesn't use his FP's very much and sometimes forgets to clean them out. This was one of them. I now really realize the large difference between a full flushing under a tap, and an overnight soaking in a special solution.

I'll have to re-write the nib part of my review now.....

Tracy Lee
January 28th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Somewhere in these threads is a great video for cleaning nibs, helped me a lot. Look under repair I think, I asked about how best to clean my delta that was acting up. Your grandpa has great taste in pens, its nice you can help keep them " running"!! :)

Markwil
February 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
I now have 4 Viscontis: a white Van Gogh Maxi, a Pericles, the Blue Van Gogh Impressionists, and my newly acquired Rembrandt! I bought the purple one with the Eco Roller option and the bottle of that Infamous purple!
All my Steel nibbed Viscontis have wonderful smooth Fine nibs, the Rembrandt is more like an Extra Fine!
The Maxi has a 14K nib that is springy and odd, I continue to have trouble finding the sweet spot! I've heard that about some of their Gold nibs, it's a love it or hate it thing, I'm on the fence about it!

Tracy Lee
February 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
What a great selection you have! Yes, their nibs are highly variable. I am not crazy about the steel nibs on my Art Ellenic and the Art Nouveau, but the nib on my Homo Sapiens is like a complete dream. I have a little Gulliver with a steel nib that I enjoy which seems weird, and the nib on my Kalidescope writes well, but the ink flows so freely through it that I have to be mindful of the density of paper I use. Still, the weight ratios, the styling, just something about the brand I love above all others I own!

peterpen53
February 16th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Did someone say Visconti? I got my first Visconti in 2001, which for many reasons was a very special year for me, and since then I have assembled quite a little tribe. They are consistently among the best writers in my collection, even though I was never able to find any stub nibs. I hope this quick and dirty picture gives a sufficient overview. Lacking from the picture is the Ragtime Anniversary set, that lives in its own wooden case.
Cheers,
Peter

fountainpenkid
February 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I am going to save up to get the visconti homo sapiens midi.......it's a lot more than any pen I'd ussually consider, but i can't let down a pen that is my size and indestructible.....maybe I'll do a trade up until I get to it. I'll see.

Gonzo
February 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Did someone say Visconti? I got my first Visconti in 2001, which for many reasons was a very special year for me, and since then I have assembled quite a little tribe. They are consistently among the best writers in my collection, even though I was never able to find any stub nibs. I hope this quick and dirty picture gives a sufficient overview. Lacking from the picture is the Ragtime Anniversary set, that lives in its own wooden case.
Cheers,
Peter

Wow! Great set of pens there.

Tracy Lee
February 17th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Coveting every single one, even the ones I own too! :-) Thanks for sharing the picture of your collection. You know, I am traveling beginning Monday and will be away from home longer than I have been in awhile. What pens and ink to take? My biggest dilemma of packing, for sure.

Tracy Lee
February 17th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Actually, what is the one there next to Homo Sapiens? That is one I am not recognizing. Do tell, please!! :-)

peterpen53
February 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Wow! Great set of pens there.

Thanks, Gonzo. I must admit I rather like them myself.

peterpen53
February 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Actually, what is the one there next to Homo Sapiens? That is one I am not recognizing. Do tell, please!! :-)

Hi Tracy. So glad you like them in spite of the so-so picture. I don't get the best of light in this room as it's on the north side of the house and then a phone camera shows its limitations.
I think you're referring to the non-limited edition Titanic, the one with a depiction of a ship's bow and an iceberg in its clip. It comes with a converter instead of the vacuum power filler, but with a traveling inkwell and all the fancy packing of the 'real', limited Titanic nonetheless. It is quite a hefty pen. If I get a chance (and some good light!) I'll try to post some better pictures, although I suspect the colouring shades on the barrel will be hard to capture.

Cheers,
Peter

peterpen53
February 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Coveting every single one, even the ones I own too! :-) Thanks for sharing the picture of your collection. You know, I am traveling beginning Monday and will be away from home longer than I have been in awhile. What pens and ink to take? My biggest dilemma of packing, for sure.

Depends whether you will be flying or staying on the ground (or the water for that matter). If I have to fly I only take one fountain pen (I know it's a pain, but we all have our cross to bear), my aptly-named MB 147 Traveler. It's the only pen where I will accept cartridges (no other way to get ink in this pen) but this system is designed not to leak on an airplane even when part-filled. And it has never done so in the 14 years I have owned it and it has accompanied me quite a few times across the Atlantic (and back).
And speaking of Visconti, if you have those traveling inkwells they should do the job nicely, packed in a zipped plastic back for safety. Might ease your dilemma just a little bit...

Tracy Lee
February 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yes, if I take mountains they travel empty to avoid messes. I have not been happy with cartridges for quite some time and put all the converters back in so that is a factor. I do have cartridges that could make the trip, though. I could not manage this coming two weeks without a couple of my favorites. Flying east coast to west. Ah the trials of being a pen lover. I have seen those traveling inkwells and may finally get one just to have. Thanks for the great tips!

peterpen53
February 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
As promised some more detailed pictures of my Titanic. As I anticipated, the dark brown and deep-sea dark blue colours are very hard to catch.

peterpen53
February 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
As I said the Titanic is quite a hefty pen and just for fun I made a comparison picture with my M1000. Even to me that was quite a surprise.

Tracy Lee
February 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for posting photos! :-) Very nice.

TonicLime
February 28th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Those are beautiful pens! Thanks for posting pics!

j01270
April 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Oh, yes!

I first fell in love with the Visconti Lava when I first heard of it and then saw it. It was very different and the contrast between the gold and black "lava" I really liked. I ordered it from my favority retailer, inked it, but it began to leak which I found hard to find. It seems as if the first of these pens had a problem leaking but I took advice and had my retailer send it back to Visconti in Italy. In an appropriate amount of time, it was returned directly from Visconti, I inked it, and oh my gosh, it "flew" across the page smoother than I have ever experienced in a pen. And a wet line, also. I really believe in addition to a repair I have not found, I am of the opinion that the nib was worked over also.

It is now my favorite writing pen and it sits beside me now filled with Noodler's Widowmaker. It will not be my last Visconti!

It is now my favority

j01270
April 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Yep, I am and love my Homo Sapiens. I am using it right now filled with Noddler's Widow Maker! Wonderful smooth, wet line.

Tracy Lee
April 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I love mine too. Spent much of tonight with my latest Pen World may, taking careful note they have another Homo Sapiens, this one with marine steel appointments. A must have addition for me!!! :)

youstruckgold
April 28th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I am an Omas man but have found myself mysteriously with quite a few Visconti's.
and a Ragtime set, a Metropolis with Gordian knot and a Mazzi Dragon.

How did that happen?:confused:

Tracy Lee
April 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
They can be stealthy that way!!! :)

Gonzo
April 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/18752c89-3263-47d4.jpg

Sent it to Tyler Dahl and he made it a wonderful stub!

Tracy Lee
April 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
:thumbup:

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Tyler does good work. Congrats, very nice looking pen.

Chi Town
May 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have 9 Visconti's and that includes two Visconti display cases made of wood.

Tracy Lee
May 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Would love to see the display cases!!

Chi Town
May 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Schwoops.....just picked up, last week a Visconti Portofino L.E. # 26 of 150 c2001, made exclusively for Fountain Pen Hospital by Visconti. The clip is the real special piece on this pen as it is a piece of history, so to speak. I'm downstairs, when I go upstairs I'll get the clip info and come down and write here about it. I'll also get the pictures of the display cases.

Ok....The Deal on the Portofino L.E. Clip is; The Sterling Silver clip is meant to Represent the 1992 America's Cup Challenger ll Moro di Venezia, riding a wave. The clip was designed by Visconti specifically for the sailor's of that great sailboat. The Italian Challenger did not win the America's Cup in 1992, but the clip design was authorized for use on later pens such as the Voyager and Uffizi series.

Chi Town
May 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Would love to see the display cases!!

Here they are: http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage003.jpg and here they are Full:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage005.jpg AND : http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage004.jpg

peterpen53
May 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Here they are: http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage003.jpg and here they are Full:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage005.jpg AND : http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/ChiTown51/PenStorage004.jpg

Be careful with those pens on the top shelf. If the roller-blind catches them when opening, you're in trouble! Unfortunately I know from experience.
Do I see an I Castoni Tiger Eye in the left bottom drawer (2nd from front)? How do you like it?

Cheers,
Peter

KrazyIvan
May 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
Whoa.

Chi Town
May 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Love it :-)

rbadger332
May 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Fellow Visconti user here. I've got a Homo Sapiens Steel Age and it is my goto pen for all occasions. The 23kt Palladium nib is the best I've ever used. Love it!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Tracy Lee
May 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Plan to pick up the Steel Age soon. I have Bronze Age and have let the bronze petina and it looks twice as lovely as the day it arrived. I agree with you, this is the best nib - in my use of fountains so far absolutely nothing compares. :thumbup::)

rbadger332
May 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Plan to pick up the Steel Age soon. I have Bronze Age and have let the bronze petina and it looks twice as lovely as the day it arrived. I agree with you, this is the best nib - in my use of fountains so far absolutely nothing compares. :thumbup::)

When I was at Paradise Pens in Richmond, i tested a Montblanc, the Visconti, and a Monttegrappa. The Visconti was the best by far.

Asus TF300T / Tapatalk 2

FLJeepGuy
May 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM
I have four Viscontis and all are nearly always inked:

Homo Sapiens with a 1.3mm italic nib tweaked by Mike Matsuyama
Van Gogh Maxi Starry Night with a custom ground italic nib by Pendleton Brown
Art Nouveau also with a custom ground italic nib by Pendleton Brown
Michelangelo (black and rose gold) with a medium nib

I'm also planning on picking up a Metropolis Gordian Knot at some point.

fountainpenkid
June 1st, 2012, 03:34 PM
i'd like to see one of those Gordian knot pens sometimes. The retractable piston filler entrances me!

WendyNC
June 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
i'd like to see one of those Gordian knot pens sometimes. The retractable piston filler entrances me!

I have a plain gunmetal Metropolis. While the retractable piston filler is a really cool concept, I find the overall mechanism to be a bit fiddly. For me, that's both an attraction and a detriment.

fountainpenkid
June 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
but you don't have to retract the nib, do you?

ianmedium
June 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I don't have a Visconti but a fellow in our local pen club has some amazing limited edition's from the brand. I love the Wall street though having now seen that Copernicus that has changed. I love the celluloid they use as it reminds me of an old Vac I once owned! Would love to try the palladium nib one day, I keep hearing so many good things about them!

snedwos
September 9th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Planning a pen shop visit on Tuesday. Should I get a Rembrandt (the most I'm willing to stretch to), A Faber Castell emotion, or save a lot of money and get a Studio?

I suppose my question is: Is the Rembrandt a good enough representative of the Visconti experience to be worth spending the extra money?

Tracy Lee
September 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I suppose my question is: Is the Rembrandt a good enough representative of the Visconti experience to be worth spending the extra money?

My answer would be yes to the Rembrandt. It's a fine representation and the brand just goes up from there. But I am totally biased about Visconti, owning almost 20 of them myself. :p;)

Tracy Lee
September 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Well, finally packaging up my Kaleido Voyager to send off to Coles/Italy for repair. This is my first Visconti purchased maybe 10 years ago? I dropped it awhile back and oddly, a layer of celluloid ring around the bottom of the cap, below the band, broke and separated. I have the ring, so I taped it into place and will get it packaged. I have missed using it, my only bold nib in Visconti, and it's so silly I let it just sit for so long. Now maybe in 12 weeks or so I can actually use it again!! :(:p

Tracy Lee
September 22nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
I just added a Honey Gold Opera to my stash, so now there is an Opera Trilogy! :-) Did a quick count and this brought the Visconti's to 17. That seems like so few!!

FP_GaF
September 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Visconti make beautiful fountain pens. Sadly, I only own one, a Rembrandt in black with a fine nib. It is arguably my best writer and very dear to me. Since I saw the new orange Rembrandt on FPGeeks I really think I should get that one, too. It looks just gorgeous.

I have tried quite a few pen companies and nations (so to speak) and I always get drawn back to Italien pen makers. Visconti, Aurora and Delta just make awesome pens.

I am afraid I am getting a little envious over your collection of Viscontis here. :)

Tracy Lee
September 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks, the opera pens have nice heft and write beautifully. All of my V's are medium nib except the Kaleido Voyager which is a bold. I have an oversized Delta Dolce Vita that I think is a great pen, too. Have a couple of Aurora, but can't say I like them much for some reason. I watched the FPGeeks TV show today too, and while I am not an Orange lover, that was beautiful. I have two Van Gogh pens (one older style, and one in the line) but no Rembrandts.

peterpen53
September 23rd, 2012, 02:20 AM
I just added a Honey Gold Opera to my stash, so now there is an Opera Trilogy! :-) Did a quick count and this brought the Visconti's to 17. That seems like so few!!

So when does your count add up to "not so few"?:) The Honey is a great looking pattern, I still love my Kaleido honey-almond.
And the old-style Van Gogh's are the best.

Cheers,
Peter

Tracy Lee
September 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Ah, I keep thinking I will know when enough is enough. So far, that bell isn't ringing. I use them all regularly and they generate pure joy while doing so. I was pleasantly surprised by the honey almond - lovelier in the hand than a photo could ever do it justice.

Tracy Lee
October 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
The latest edition to my Visconti family . . .

Bogon07
October 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of noticing how pretty the Blue Wall Street is in a local shop a few weeks ago.
Now I can't stop thinking about them and how good they'd look next to the old Vacumatics.
Luckily some-one has bought that expensive blue one ($790AUD!!!!!).

All the other colours red, green, grey/silver also look fantastic.

Tracy Lee
October 23rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
I am partial to the green, but own a red one. It really is a handsome pen.

peterpen53
October 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I had the unfortunate experience of noticing how pretty the Blue Wall Street is in a local shop a few weeks ago.
Now I can't stop thinking about them and how good they'd look next to the old Vacumatics.
Luckily some-one has bought that expensive blue one ($790AUD!!!!!).

All the other colours red, green, grey/silver also look fantastic.

Be sure to look the other way when you get near a green one. You might get into trouble.:)

If I may make a suggestion for an alternative that is probably more affordable: the Manhattan used the same type of stacked celluloid, only red or green as far as I know. Somewhat smaller than the Wall Street LE, it had the medium-sized 14K nib and that stylish old clip. Not trying to give you any ideas, of course.

Bogon07
October 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Be sure to look the other way when you get near a green one. You might get into trouble.:)

If I may make a suggestion for an alternative that is probably more affordable: the Manhattan used the same type of stacked celluloid, only red or green as far as I know. Somewhat smaller than the Wall Street LE, it had the medium-sized 14K nib and that stylish old clip. Not trying to give you any ideas, of course.

I did see some Wallstreets from Malaysia just over $400 but Mrs Bogon's eyes narrowed alarmingly when I mention them to her even after I suggested maybe an expensive handbag for her. My Lamy WhitePearl Studio was not much under $400.

Thanks Peter, I was looking at the green Manhattan in Mrgdr's collection.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1344-Sharing-photos-of-some-of-the-pens-in-my-collection

Good suggestion, especially if it is a smaller pen. Actually Manhattan sounds more sophisticated than Wall Street and you know what beverage to have when using it. I see examples of blue ones and both the red and green look lovely too.

KrazyIvan
October 25th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Wow Bogon, the most expensive pen that I purchased is $180. I have an Edison that is probably worth more but I traded for it. :eek:

manoeuver
October 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
The latest edition to my Visconti family . . .just saw this. would look sweet on the side of a conversion van!

Tracy Lee
October 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Wow Bogon, the most expensive pen that I purchased is $180. I have an Edison that is probably worth more but I traded for it. :eek:

Oh my. :what::eek: I refuse to say what the most I have paid for a pen would be. But I am in deep. Super. Deep. And one day I hope to be David Oscarson deep. :D

Tracy Lee
October 25th, 2012, 07:26 PM
just saw this. would look sweet on the side of a conversion van!

I was kind of looking at my motorcycle gas tank and thinking the same. Makki works with Ducati, maybe he could do me a solid for my Honda. :cool:

Tracy Lee
October 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
My broken Kaleido Voyager is back from Italy in record time. I told them I dropped it on tile causing the crack and it then just split and came apart on its own. I waited for the email telling me the cost for repair. Nothing but the pen in beautifully restored condition and a note showing the $25 paid to cover shipping to and from. Love these Visconti folks. Thank you!! :)

earthdawn
October 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Ugh,,, My first Visconti is sitting at the Post office this weekend as I missed the mailman by 10 minutes !!!! UGH !!!!

Ill be picking up my Homo Sapiens Bronze w/Stub nib on Monday morning at 9am SHARP !

fountainpenkid
October 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Ugh,,, My first Visconti is sitting at the Post office this weekend as I missed the mailman by 10 minutes !!!! UGH !!!!

Ill be picking up my Homo Sapiens Bronze w/Stub nib on Monday morning at 9am SHARP !

I hat when that happens! good luck with your new pen!

Tracy Lee
October 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM

You will just LOVE your Homo Sapiens!! :-)

earthdawn
October 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh......

At the post office at 9am sharp before the stupid storm lol

Here she is my beautiful Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze with a tasty 1.3 stub nib. THANK YOU to Bryant @ PenTime

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/B4231F2A-C6C7-4A55-B71E-04B44B6C00A7-2580-000000CBEF1876F0.jpg

fountainpenkid
October 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
nice earthdawn!! beautiful!

penultress
October 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh......

At the post office at 9am sharp before the stupid storm lol

Here she is my beautiful Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze with a tasty 1.3 stub nib. THANK YOU to Bryant @ PenTime

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/B4231F2A-C6C7-4A55-B71E-04B44B6C00A7-2580-000000CBEF1876F0.jpg

Beautiful! What a nice way to spend the day in this storm! Be safe

FP_GaF
October 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I am drooling all over my keyboard... Very nice pen.

Be safe.

Tracy Lee
October 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I sure love mine, very much my go to pen over most all others. Even the Stainless Steel homo sapiens is not quite the same. Enjoy, and stay safe.

fountainpenkid
November 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
We've been w/o power for 2 days here in CT... been writing in my moleskine journal by candlelight using my new twsbi mini and my Vac. I'm writing this from a library in a town that still has power.

Tracy Lee
November 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Take care FPKid, and sure glad you are alright. Been there, done that on storm stuff so I feel your pain. Hope things come back on soon for everybody.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

babbaboooey
November 2nd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Have had my eyes on the van gogh set. I dont have a visconti yet. Can anyone tell me about the starry night i hear its a great pen and very smooth. Does anyone out there have one?

Tracy Lee
November 3rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
I have Room in Arles, so only difference is the color. Medium weight pen, and the flat sides with the rounded edges (squaring a circle) is quite comfortable to hold. The nib is smooth, I prefer Visconti's medium nib which is a fairly wet feed and substantial but not overwhelming line. I carry it everyday and use it a lot.

Dee8go
November 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have a Visconti, which I believe is one of their painters series of pens. A Rembrandt, maybe? I'll have to dig out the box to verify it. It looks much like the Van Gogh pens, although mine is a marbled blue. It has a terrific nib on it, very large and is 14k, I believe. It's very smooth and has a little flex to it. I got it when I was returning another pen I received as a gift. The nib on that Taccia bent, when I put the cap on it. The fellow at Fahrneys gave me another Taccia in exchange and I had him replace the cap and it bent, too. So, I swapped for the Visconti and have never regretted it.

Robert
November 6th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I picked up my first Visconti (Homo Sapiens bronze/full size w/medium nib) a week ago. I own a lot of pens, and this is one really smooth writer (actually, everything about this pen is impressive). I was a bit dubious about some of the reviews I had read, but the palladium nib gives great flow and glides effortlessly across the paper. This may be my first Visconti, but I doubt it will be my last. Count me as a believer!

Tracy Lee
November 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Yahoo!!!! :)

Tracy Lee
November 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Seemed like time to have a Visconti family photo! The Dragon Mazzi made things 19. I am waiting patiently for their 25th anniversary pen in 2013, and saving my coin. I hear in the $1200+ range - yikes!!!

fountainpenkid
November 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Seemed like time to have a Visconti family photo! The Dragon Mazzi made things 19. I am waiting patiently for their 25th anniversary pen in 2013, and saving my coin. I hear in the $1200+ range - yikes!!!

Great collection!

manoeuver
November 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Got to do some hands-on with some beautiful Viscount is at the Columbus Pen Show. Mario from toys in the attic took about twenty minutes showing the ins and outs of the pens. Jaw dropping craft in these. Once I make my first million I'll get one. At the rate I'm going it'll be 2097, but still.

Tracy Lee
November 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Jealous, that would have been so great! Been looking at all the photos folks have posted in FB etc, and it looked like a well attended pen show with tons to see. Next year I just need to get on a plane and do it.

peterpen53
November 12th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Very nice collection, Tracy! :clap2::clap2: The blue Ragtime is very nice, had not seen that colour before.
I need some help, though, with the two pens on the bottom right next to your red Wall Street. I don't recognise those.
And somehow I always thought you'd be the perfect person for a Ripple. :)

Cheers,
Peter

Tracy Lee
November 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Right most green is the early Pericles (90s) and it's companion is the 2001 redesigned Pericles. Fantastic pens, both. The older one is very light weight but the 2001 has a heft to it that I like in my Visconti. There are still so many I am interested in, but I watch prices and deals and try to make the most of my budget along the way. Some will always be out of reach, but so many are there for the acquiring!! :) This is only my start.

Tracy Lee
November 12th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Oh, and the blue ragtime has wonderful bright green swirls. It was a small limited # batch done for Fountain Pen Hospital's 65th anniversary last year. #40/65

Bogon07
November 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
TracyLee your Visconti family photo show a gorgeous selection of pens.
I know each time I'd have trouble deciding which one to use.

All the best for your future collecting.

earthdawn
November 12th, 2012, 11:20 PM
TracyLee..... WOW !!!

Beautiful picture of a gorgeous family lol

LOVE the Ragtime... I saw one for sale recently and almost bought it.... If it had been that blue I would not have passed it by!

Tracy Lee
November 13th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I carry 11 of them everyday, and am known to switch pens in the middle of a meeting. Sometimes it's a need for a second ink color in my notes, sometimes a shift in mood. :-) I get the funniest looks from folks who don't know me, and odd smiles from those who do. The love of pens like these is so foreign to most people. Such a shame! But one manager I work with came in one day with a lovely Montegrappa Napa Valley fine nib and asked for help with her cartridge. She said she decided she just had to try. She is from Tennessee, and recently added an Orange Conklin to her new interest, and is shopping for a small case. I love it!! :-)

KrazyIvan
November 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM
How related are Delta and Visconti?

Tracy Lee
November 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
How related are Delta and Visconti?

Corporately not all, Delta is distributed in the U.S. by Yafa, but I think in terms of age the two companies (Delta and Visconti) may be close in age? Visconti will be 25 in 2013, I think Delta is a shade older. As far as pen comparison, there are definitely differences. I have an oversized Dolce Vita with Vermeil that I really like. It's medium nib is super wet and thick, but the nib is pretty smooth. Nothing like a Dream touch, but it's comfortable and reliable in terms of flow and consistency. The pen as a beefiness to it, a different type of heft than Visconti. Like having a boxer (Delta) and a ballerina (Visconti). Both great on their feet, strong and effective and beautiful but in totally different ways. Just my 20 cents. ;)

KrazyIvan
November 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Thank you. I just noticed similarities in packaging of Visconti to my Delta. I thought there might be some relation. :)

penultress
November 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gorgeous collection, Tracy Lee! I would love to own a Wall Street one day!

j01270
November 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
I agree. The Homo Sapiens is a great pen to write with. The palladium nib is divine to write with, particularly on Rhodia paper. My medium nib lays a fairly wet line and just glides. It is one of my best writers and great to hold in hand without posting!

Tracy Lee
December 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM
OK, Peter, I finally got the right deal on a Ripple. It arrived yesterday and already our love affair is out of control. If it had a dream nib, not sure I would need anything else in life. :)

peterpen53
December 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM
OK, Peter, I finally got the right deal on a Ripple. It arrived yesterday and already our love affair is out of control. If it had a dream nib, not sure I would need anything else in life. :)

Congratulations, Tracy. Those are really great pens. I'm sure you will enjoy this one (well, obviously you already do).
Come to think of it, I need to update the pictures of my Visconti collection. Might be a few surprises in there. Watch this space.

Cheers,
Peter

PS. Are you now going to blame me instead of Dan and Eric? :)

Tracy Lee
December 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Oh, I am anxious to see your collection!!! The blame rests with me, for I had 16 of these Visconti's before I found the forum I think, and the Ripple was one of several I am still being patient for. I told my husband I think I am ready to liquidate a portion of my collection built when I was still experimenting. So many have not been touched in many years and likely won't be. They need good homes. ;) I really am focused now on the one I love and am ready to settle down . . .

fountainpenkid
December 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Just saw that Bry has a ridiculously good price on an Art Ellenica--anyone have any experince w/these?

earthdawn
December 6th, 2012, 11:05 PM

WOW !!!!

Beautiful & BIG congrats.

Tracy Lee
December 7th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Just saw that Bry has a ridiculously good price on an Art Ellenica--anyone have any experince w/these?

I have one of those, FPKid. I wouldn't place that particular group of pens at the top of Visconti's best list, but a good pen. Has good heft if you like that, and cool aesthetics.

snedwos
December 7th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I tried a Visconti Rembrandt yesterday. And oh, my, it was wonderful. And this is their cheapest pen! The italic from the orange calligraphy set was less impressive, though. It was too crisp for normal writing, and the plastic section made it too light, and felt flimsy.

fountainpenkid
December 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have one of those, FPKid. I wouldn't place that particular group of pens at the top of Visconti's best list, but a good pen. Has good heft if you like that, and cool aesthetics.

It is a captive converter I think, right? If so, I lost all interest. The only reason why I like piston fillers more in the first place is because of their ink capacity!

Bogon07
December 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM

That is an entrancing design on the pen it appears to be tactile or raised as well. The white mother of pearl look contrasts nicely with the gloss black.

snedwos
December 13th, 2012, 03:29 AM
It is a captive converter I think, right? If so, I lost all interest. The only reason why I like piston fillers more in the first place is because of their ink capacity!

Ink capacity schmink capacity. If you can get through a whole pistonful of ink without getting bored of the colour and wanting to change out the ink, there's summat wrong with you ;)

fountainpenkid
December 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Ink capacity schmink capacity. If you can get through a whole pistonful of ink without getting bored of the colour and wanting to change out the ink, there's summat wrong with you ;)

Well then I guess somethibg is wrong with me. But then again, I don't have more than 3 inks at the moment (thought I'm getting Ancient Copper, Rouge Hematite, and Matador for Christmas), so I don't have many options at the moment to switch with.

snedwos
December 13th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I am a little overwhelmed with inks at the moment, and yet I still want more! I am jealous of your Xmas presents, I want to get one of those reds for my dad, but the only convenient sources for me seem to be all out, or don't stock them! :rant: Oxblood or Red Dragon will have to do, not that I'm complaining.

Tracy Lee
December 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Summat wrong with me too. Some of pens have only ever had one color/brand of ink ever. That won't change soon, for sure. I know there is a ton out there for experimenting, and my house and wardrobe show a strong love of color. But for some reason, not in my pens. Super conservative in my pens and it's comforting in its own way. Quite a quirk, now that I write it. :p

Robert
January 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM
My first Visconti was a Homo Sapiens Bronze that I bought last October. I recently acquired a second Visconti: a beautiful pearl-red (or is it "red-pearl"?) Wall Street LE with medium nib. Right out of the box it wrote great - - - different from the HS,which is a wonderful writer - the Wall Street is perhaps a bit "slicker" than the HS, with less feedback against paper. And I love them both. I've got the Wall Street loaded with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi, and it's a great combo. I'm partial to brown inks, and the Tsukushi just seems a natural mate for the red pearl Wall Street. My only nit to pick is that the plunger knob, when unscrewed, is about 30 degrees or so off kilter. But it lines up properly when screwed down on the barrel, so it's probably not a big deal. So count me as "still a believer!"

Tracy Lee
January 19th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I like the browns too, I need to see that color! I only use Fahrney's Copper Burst in my HS Bronze Age. Just seems right somehow!

Bogon07
April 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
There has been an alarming trend in the Bogon household this year with the Viscontis going from zero to three already and another on the way.
And now I keep looking at the Dali pens and sometimes that blue Opera Typhoon.

I suspect somebody with the initials T.L. sprinkled Visconti dust on an InCoWriMo letter.

john
April 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
I have only one Visconti which is Ponte Vecchio with 18k gold nib, it's a great writer.

Tracy Lee
April 22nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
There has been an alarming trend in the Bogon household this year with the Viscontis going from zero to three already and another on the way.

I suspect somebody with the initials T.L. sprinkled Visconti dust on an InCoWriMo letter.

Who . . . MEEEEEEE? I must exercise my fifth amendment right and subsequently wonder who is sprinkling me because I am up to 25! No Dali yet, but the Blue Typhoon my most recent. :eek::D

drgoretex
April 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Held out on Visconti for a long time. Not sure why. Then recently acquired a Viscont Wall Street, with that big, beautiful Palladium nib (medium), and all doubt disappeared. What a fantastic nib!

Ken

Pelikan-Vera
April 22nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
They are nice and I have only two - the Pericle 2001 and the original Ragtime. Both nice, but I prefer the gold nib on the Ragtime.

Bogon07
April 22nd, 2013, 05:01 PM
Is the 5th amendment and internationally accepted excuse ?
Blue Typhoon - dream :lazy2:

Held out on Visconti for a long time. Not sure why. Then recently acquired a Viscont Wall Street, with that big, beautiful Palladium nib (medium), and all doubt disappeared. What a fantastic nib!
Ken

Which colour ?
Did you score a LE Wall Street ?

drgoretex
April 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Is the 5th amendment and internationally accepted excuse ?
Blue Typhoon - dream :lazy2:

Ken

Which colour ?
Did you score a LE Wall Street ?

Not an LE, sadly (well, not so sad, really, I love the pen), it is in a beautiful blue-green celluloid (reminiscent of the stuff they used for the old Parker vacumatics)

Ken

Bogon07
April 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
I thought you may have a LE when you said (23K) Palladium nib verses the 14K rhodium plated nib for the non-LE. Maybe the Palladium nib is an option ?
Here are pix of both versions:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-Canadian-Parker-Vacumatics?p=20278&viewfull=1#post20278

dsolmei
April 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I recently acquired an opera club. The fit and finish of the pen, especially the celluloid, is wonderful. However, what impressed me the most is the balance of the pen. It isn't a light pen, but the weight of the chrome at the section and at the end of the barrel doesn't make the pen either top or bottom heavy. I'd say that there is just enough weight at the nib to allow it to skate across the page without you providing any additional pressure, and the weight at the end of the pen allows it to rest comfortably in the crook of your hand. It's really well done.

I also like the section. It's pinched, which I prefer to a tapered grip. Furthermore, the relatively large size of the section makes my fingers relax around it. It's the most comfortable section I've used thus far. One caveat is that my experience with FPs is limited to ~30 pens, and none of them are particularly large or oversized (not that this is an oversized pen).

Tracy Lee
April 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Opera is a great pen! I have 5 of them if you include the Typhoon as it is an Opera as well, but larger and heavier than the others. I agree completely with that "review" though, in terms of the feel of the pen. I believe I am partial to Visconti because they rarely require that extra pressure, they practically write all by themselves. Thanks for sharing, and glad you and your pen are happy. :)

Bogon07
April 29th, 2013, 11:44 PM

Who . . . MEEEEEEE? I must exercise my fifth amendment right and subsequently wonder who is sprinkling me because I am up to 25! No Dali yet, but the Blue Typhoon my most recent. :eek::D

It must be almost time for another of your group photos.
There were only 19 in the last one. You've mentioned the Blue Typhoon & shown a picture of the Ripple so that leaves another four doesn't it ?

I like the look of the clear Opera Demo that looks like it has just eaten & partially digested a blue WallStreet or Aida (like that one too). Mrs Bogon eye's looked furious when I was pointing it out and she pointed out the price; replying "that's cheap for a Visconti" probably wasn't any help at all.

:confused:
Does any one know if there is a difference between Van Goghs & Van Gogh Maxis apart from the range of colours ?
Was the Maxi an older version ?

peterpen53
April 30th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Does any one know if there is a difference between Van Goghs & Van Gogh Maxis apart from the range of colours ?

The fountain pen of the first generation Van Gogh (bought mine in 2002) came in two, perhaps even three sizes. I expect the larger one to have been the Maxi. I don't know when Visconti gave that up, but obviously there is no differentiation in size anymore.

Tracy Lee
April 30th, 2013, 05:03 AM

It must be almost time for another of your group photos.
There were only 19 in the last one. You've mentioned the Blue Typhoon & shown a picture of the Ripple so that leaves another four doesn't it ?

I like the look of the clear Opera Demo that looks like it has just eaten & partially digested a blue WallStreet or Aida (like that one too). Mrs Bogon eye's looked furious when I was pointing it out and she pointed out the price; replying "that's cheap for a Visconti" probably wasn't any help at all.

:confused:

Let's see, I did add a Rembrandt, a demonstrator, the typhoon, an Opera blue swirl, a midnight voyager since the photo . . . I think those are the new ones? I probably do need a new family picture. As for the Van Gogh Maxi (I have a green one, great pen) it is an oversized version of the first line of pens and they didn't make a Maxi in the new line. They are all the same size. I actually prefer the first Van Gogh's to the new ones stylistically and because I like the oversized pens. The first line has a smooth bulbous shape, and the newest line is the rounded square feel. I thought the colors in the first line were better, too.

drgoretex
April 30th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I thought you may have a LE when you said (23K) Palladium nib verses the 14K rhodium plated nib for the non-LE. Maybe the Palladium nib is an option ?
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-Canadian-Parker-Vacumatics?p=20278&viewfull=1#post20278

The Palladium nib must be an option. Mine's definitely not an LE, but has the 23K Pd nib. Man, I love this nib!

Ken

peterpen53
April 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM

The Palladium nib must be an option. Mine's definitely not an LE, but has the 23K Pd nib. Man, I love this nib!

Ken

I read somewhere, probably on the other forum, that at some point Visconti phased out gold nibs entirely. So you now get either a palladium nib or a steel one. Inevitably there will have been a transition period when both gold and palladium nibs will have been available.
And I do agree on the palladium nibs, they are absolutely fabulous. I have three, two stubs and a fine, that effectively writes like a fat medium (a known "problem" of the Homo Sapiens. Well... I don't mind).

Bogon07
April 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Thanks PeterPen53 & Tracy Lee. I looked in one of those booklets that came with a Rembrandt set and it had some info on the older Van Gogh and says they were available in Maxi, Midi and Mini with 14K nibs.

Let's see, I did add a Rembrandt, a demonstrator, the typhoon, an Opera blue swirl, a midnight voyager since the photo . . . I think those are the new ones? I probably do need a new family picture. As for the Van Gogh Maxi (I have a green one, great pen) it is an oversized version of the first line of pens and they didn't make a Maxi in the new line. They are all the same size. I actually prefer the first Van Gogh's to the new ones stylistically and because I like the oversized pens. The first line has a smooth bulbous shape, and the newest line is the rounded square feel. I thought the colors in the first line were better, too.

Droool. Visconti seem to make so many variation of their pens they are doing my head in. And then on eBay all these old-new models turn up. Looking forward to see the latest family picture and hope more new additions. The more I know the more dangerous it becomes.

and thanks for the extra info on the Maxi Van Goghs. There is a shop in Sydney selling a few for seemingly reasonable prices in those interesting colours Musk, Vanilla, Black, Sandal Brown and TortoiseShell. I like the look of the Musk which is oddly a greenish colour - I always associate musk with pinks or purples because of the lollies & musksticks you used to get.

By the way there was a very battered,crushed and kicked TNT box on my doorstep yesterday when I arrived home.
I was desperately hoping the insides weren't damage and luckily they were not, it contained a gleaming Ragtime LE Anniversary FP.
Sort of ironic as Mrs Bogon and I were married in 1988.
This one is number 1111 :bounce:. Inked it up with Visconti dark blue. It is a flowing wet writer.

drgoretex
April 30th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Just tried out a Visconti Opera in a cool blue flake today. Had a 14K nib, quite nice. I shouldn't have tried it, though. Now I have to go back to buy it :whip:

Ken

peterpen53
May 1st, 2013, 03:20 AM
Thanks PeterPen53 & Tracy Lee. I looked in one of those booklets that came with a Rembrandt set and it had some info on the older Van Gogh and says they were available in Maxi, Midi and Mini with 14K nibs.

Droool. Visconti seem to make so many variation of their pens they are doing my head in. And then on eBay all these old-new models turn up. Looking forward to see the latest family picture and hope more new additions. The more I know the more dangerous it becomes.

and thanks for the extra info on the Maxi Van Goghs. There is a shop in Sydney selling a few for seemingly reasonable prices in those interesting colours Musk, Vanilla, Black, Sandal Brown and TortoiseShell. I like the look of the Musk which is oddly a greenish colour - I always associate musk with pinks or purples because of the lollies & musksticks you used to get.

By the way there was a very battered,crushed and kicked TNT box on my doorstep yesterday when I arrived home.
I was desperately hoping the insides weren't damage and luckily they were not, it contained a gleaming Ragtime LE Anniversary FP.
This one is number 1111 :bounce:. Inked it up with Visconti dark blue. It is a flowing wet writer.

So there were three! I just could not remember exactly. Mine is TortoiseShell. Beautiful pen!
Congrats on the Ragtime. These are very neat pens. Mine is number 051. Bought it as a set (FP, RB and MP, a pencil lead holder replacing BP refill).
Uhm... how many Viscontis did you say you had? :)

Just tried out a Visconti Opera in a cool blue flake today. Had a 14K nib, quite nice. I shouldn't have tried it, though. Now I have to go back to buy it :whip:

Ken
Yes... they can be addictive.

Tracy Lee
May 1st, 2013, 05:00 AM

I have a Ragtime that was made for Fountain Pen Hospital's anniversary two years ago. I think they only made 65 of them, it's this cool deep blue and bright sparkly green swirled with gold accents. It's a great writer. The pen I just bought yesterday is a Pericles of the 2001 line and is blue. I have a green multi-colored one and for a relatively inexpensive Visconti, they are good pens. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. You know, one little pen that I bought that I never see anywhere for sale is a Gulliver. It is a very small little Visconti, mine is a wonderful cobalt - ish blue swirled with back.

Bogon07
May 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM
So there were three! I just could not remember exactly. Mine is TortoiseShell. Beautiful pen!
Congrats on the Ragtime. These are very neat pens. Mine is number 051. Bought it as a set (FP, RB and MP, a pencil lead holder replacing BP refill).
Uhm... how many Viscontis did you say you had? :)

The Tortoiseshell VanGogh looks nice although the picture they have is a little subduded appearing mainly an amber colour.

So that other thing in the Ragtime sets is a Lead Pencil holder, it was hard to tell in the photos I saw.

So far four Viscontis and I just can't stop looking at them.
Actually the two Rembrandts belong to Mrs Bogon (she thinks the clip on the Ragtime was not positioned far enough up the cap and is too short).

Thanks for the extra info Tracy Lee. Gee only 65 FPH Ragtimes - Visconti seem to do a lot of special production runs.
The Pericles is an interesting looking pen and I understand there is more than one version too. They make so many different models....saw a weird looking Millenium the other day and a green marblised Kaweco by Vsconti.

peterpen53
May 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
The Tortoiseshell VanGogh looks nice although the picture they have is a little subduded appearing mainly an amber colour.

I would recommend to see it in person if you get the chance. The colour (at least on mine) is indeed predominantly amber, but very deep and rich, with a large streak of an even much darker colour, which seems to be a dark green. I've given up trying to photograph it because my iPhone will never do it justice. And I think they are all different.

So that other thing in the Ragtime sets is a Lead Pencil holder, it was hard to tell in the photos I saw.

Well, actually they are sold as ballpoints but I hardly ever use those and I didn't see the point of getting both a BP and a RB, so I asked to turn it into a pencil.

Bogon07
May 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM
I would recommend to see it in person if you get the chance. The colour (at least on mine) is indeed predominantly amber, but very deep and rich, with a large streak of an even much darker colour, which seems to be a dark green. I've given up trying to photograph it because my iPhone will never do it justice. And I think they are all different.

Well, actually they are sold as ballpoints but I hardly ever use those and I didn't see the point of getting both a BP and a RB, so I asked to turn it into a pencil.

Mrs Bogons purple Rembrant has some very subtle colouring that would be very hard to capture in a photo.
Yes on the web site they have photos of F & M nibbed pens and you can easily see the difference between two different say Vanilla ones. I'm liking the look of the Musk though.

I've often wondered about why they offer both BP & RB pens, especially Lamy who often use very different grip sections for them. Usually the Lamy RB has the same grip as the Fountain Pen while the ball point is totally different.

Now waiting on a Musk Maxi Van Gogh (F) after deciding against a Visconti LTD EDITION MILLENNIUM ARC FOUNTAIN PEN, RED (M)

that I saw on eBay. It is such an odd looking pen [that odd bulge in the barrel] even though I love the red celluloid bits inside it & expensive.

And also a red demostrator of sorts.

Tracy Lee
May 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
Now waiting on a Musk Maxi Van Gogh (F) after deciding against a Visconti LTD EDITION MILLENNIUM ARC FOUNTAIN PEN, RED (M)

that I saw on eBay. It is such an odd looking pen even though I love the red celluloid bits inside it & expensive.[/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong there, either way. But you will enjoy the Maxi. The nib is big, too, and just wonderful. :)

john
May 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
I've just got the Visconti Opera club a few days ago, which comes with 23k palladium broad nib. This is my first time to write with broad nib, it is flexible and wet. Within two or three pages, I have to refill the converter again. If this pen is a piston filler, that is great.

Bogon07
May 4th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Congratulations John those Opera Clubs are very attractive, which colour did you select ? And how many Viscontis have you collected so far?
I've yet to try the palladium nib, however all medium steel or gold nibs in mine are free flowing and great to write with.

Viscontii so far:
Mrs Bogon's Purple Rembrandt (M) & cartridge rollerball
Mrs Bogon's Orange Rembrandt (M) - calligraphy set
Blue Wall Street (M)
Ragtime Anniversary LE (M)

john
May 5th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks Mr.Bogon, It's cherry blossom. I have only two Visconti. Another is Ponte Vecchio pompeii blue. I like them very much. I'm going to buy Ragtime if the price is good. I like Wallstreet too.

Tracy Lee
May 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM
A new family picture since the blue Pericles arrived yesterday. I included my three travelling ink pots in the upper right, two of which match pens as you can see. I have miscounted along the way - looks like I am at 27 and not 26 as I thought. Not that it matters. LEs include 3 of the Operas, the Blue Ripple, the Ragtime, the Mazzi Dragon. For Bogon07, the newest Van Gogh (Room in Arles) is next to two Van Gogh Maxi's from the earlier line. Differences are remarkable in size and shape.

Bogon07
May 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Tracy Lee wow ! And lucky you - you have an extra pen. :bump2:

Breath taking.
Geewiz that Typhoon must be a BIG pen !

The differences in the generations of Van Goghs is very apparent in your photo (tracking shows the Musk delivered today :))
I sort of like the look of the metal tip at the end of the barrel....I can feel the need for a Dali coming on.

The Travelling inks with designs to match some pens is an nice touch.

Your blue/green Ragtime looks very stylish

Sorry but here are some questions:
Is the White pen next to the demonstrator a Rembrandt ?
What are the plum & gold pens near the Ripple ?
And the little blue pen near your Ragtime. Is it the Gulliver?

Thanks again for sharing your collection.

At first your picture made me think of those boards that you find in garages with all the tools and their outlines.

dsolmei
May 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Hey Tracy, What do you use to clean and polish the metal section on your Operas? They attract fingerprints really easily and mine has also started to pick-up some light-gray spots that don't easily wipe-off with a cloth.

Tracy Lee
May 5th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Tracy Lee wow ! And lucky you - you have an extra pen. :bump2:

Geewiz that Typhoon must be a BIG pen !

Your blue/green Ragtime looks very stylish

Sorry but here are some questions:
Is the White pen next to the demonstrator a Rembrandt ?
What are the plum & gold pens near the Ripple ?
And the little blue pen near your Ragtime. Is it the Gulliver?

Thanks again for sharing your collection.

At first your picture made me think of those boards that you find in garages with all the tools and their outlines.

I am married to an engineer, this is his desk blotter of course! :-) Yes, the Typhoon is big, though not as big as the ripple. My husband says when I write with them, and I like to post, that I look like a kid who stole grandpa's pen. :)

Yes, that is an Ivory Rembrandt. A recent addition. Turns out I am not in love with the style of the Rembrandt so I likely won't add more. Not like the Opera which I clearly enjoy!!

The plum is a Kaleido Voyager, the gold and the black and silver next to it are Voyagers as well.

Yes, the little blue one is the Gulliver. Cutest little pen.

Tracy Lee
May 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Hey Tracy, What do you use to clean and polish the metal section on your Operas? They attract fingerprints really easily and mine has also started to pick-up some light-gray spots that don't easily wipe-off with a cloth.

I rarely polish the pens, but when I do I find that those little cloths that you get to clean glasses (like eyeglasses) work quite wonderfully. I get a handful of sample size cloths from my optometrist every year. Also, those satin feeling bags they make for sunglasses? Also work well. A tiny dab of jewelry cleaner can be used, too, and that makes a good difference.

Bogon07
May 5th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I am married to an engineer, this is his desk blotter of course! :-) Yes, the Typhoon is big, though not as big as the ripple. My husband says when I write with them, and I like to post, that I look like a kid who stole grandpa's pen. :)

Yes, that is an Ivory Rembrandt. A recent addition. Turns out I am not in love with the style of the Rembrandt so I likely won't add more. Not like the Opera which I clearly enjoy!!

The plum is a Kaleido Voyager, the gold and the black and silver next to it are Voyagers as well.

You could take the photo to a printer and have a mouse pad made from it.

I like using Mrs Bogon's orange Rembrandt better than her purple just because of the colour and I never get tired of fiddling with the magnetic cap.

The Gulliver looks a nicely proportioned pen.

Voyager seem to have the rounded-square style of body and a similarity to the Operas.

Tracy Lee
May 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
The Voyagers are actually just round and fatter around than the Opera.. The nibs are just huge and beautiful and write really smoothly.

peterpen53
May 6th, 2013, 03:30 AM

I'm surprised the Typhoon is not as big as a Ripple. I thought it was as big as the Opera Master and my OM Demo is definitely taller than my Ripple. I fact it is the tallest pen I have.
Can you seriously post a Ripple? I don't post as a rule, but I tried and it does not seem to post securely. And it would bend over backwards anyway.

The Voyagers are actually just round and fatter around than the Opera.. The nibs are just huge and beautiful and write really smoothly.

To me, the Voyagers are THE ORIGINAL Visconti. I particularly like their old style clips and, as you say, they are great writers.

Uhm... is the Wall Street still missing from your collection, Tracy? That would really round it off.

Bogon07
May 6th, 2013, 04:14 AM
PeterPen53, I think TracyLee's red Wall Street is in the top left corner next to the Ragtime (?)

The Musk Van Gogh arrived today, mostly green on one side a tan/brown on the other. It looks like two different pens looking from either side of the clip!
It is fascinating the way the screw on the cap retracts when you lift the clip.
Just filled with Edelstein Adventurine.

peterpen53
May 6th, 2013, 04:31 AM
PeterPen53, I think TracyLee's red Wall Street is in the top left corner next to the Ragtime (?)

You're right, missed that one.

Tracy Lee
May 6th, 2013, 04:32 AM
I'm surprised the Typhoon is not as big as a Ripple. I thought it was as big as the Opera Master and my OM Demo is definitely taller than my Ripple. I fact it is the tallest pen I have.
Can you seriously post a Ripple? I don't post as a rule, but I tried and it does not seem to post securely. And it would bend over backwards anyway.

To me, the Voyagers are THE ORIGINAL Visconti. I particularly like their old style clips and, as you say, they are great writers.

Uhm... is the Wall Street still missing from your collection, Tracy? That would really round it off.

I do post my Ripple, isn't that crazy? It is an ENORMOUS pen. And heavy. If I am writing a long time, unposting is bound to occur. The Typhoon is not nearly as big or heavy, but certainly heavier and taller then the other Operas. The red Wall street is indeed in the upper left corner of the photo. I feel the same way about the Voyager, and in fact the plum colored Kaleido is the very first Visconti I ever bought, and I lovingly blame my empty wallet on it. It stays in my daily carry.

john
May 6th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Tracy, what a luxury collection of Visconti you have. Thanks for your sharing.

Tracy Lee
May 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks, and it is my pleasure. Others in my life don't understand my issues so I always love that I can share things here with those that do! :)

radaddict
May 7th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Well Tracy Lee, I'm not quite certain, but I'm getting the impression that perhaps you kind of er.. um... like Visconti. Just a hunch mind you. :) Personally, I've never met a Visconti that I didn't like (oddly, I've found myself using that phrase more than once over the past week or so). I've had a few Visconti over the years, but currently down to just one, and it's on holiday in Italy for a bit of R&R, an Opera Master.

UK Mike
May 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I only have five Viscontis - a black Opera with large 14k nib, Michelangelo Rose Gold with Palladium nib, van Gogh Starry night steel M and two blue Rembrandts with steel M nibs. I have also given Rembrandts as gifts.

I tried the Home Sapiens but it wasn't comfortable for me - too large and heavy, I'm not into lava and I don't need the capacity of a piston filler (too many inks to try)
I am not particularly fond of the Opera either - I think its probably the balance and a nib that is ok but not exceptional.

The others I love - and the magnetic cap closure they feature is a lovely thing and gives a smooth barrel with no threads or irritatingly sharp steps.
On the whole I love the brand and the passion behind it - makes me want to write with an extra flourish.

Bogon07
May 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM

Ken

Now that you've said it I'm starting to see quite a few non LE WallStreets with the 23K Pd nib.

I still think I'd like a LE version but the powerfiller sounds a little bit daunting. (Maybe after the newest pen arrives)

The others I love - and the magnetic cap closure they feature is a lovely thing and gives a smooth barrel with no threads or irritatingly sharp steps.
On the whole I love the brand and the passion behind it - makes me want to write with an extra flourish-UK Mike
The magnetic cap is fascinating but I wish as Stephen 'Doc' Brown said that the end of the barrel had a magnet for magnetic posting too. Although it is funny when you forget about it and try to un-screw the cap and nothing much happens.

peterpen53
May 8th, 2013, 12:47 AM
...I still think I'd like a LE version but the powerfiller sounds a little bit daunting...

Why on earth would this be daunting? Just do as instructed and it is just about the simplest filling system you could get. I have four of these twin-tank power fillers and I have never had any problems. And, if it's important to you, they hold quite a bit of ink. Their only disadvantage is they're a major pain to clean, so I usually limit these pens to one colour of ink.
Now, the filling system of the Divina is quite a different matter. I often wonder if it sucks up any ink at all (but the Desert Spring is such a beautiful pen!).

Bogon07
May 8th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Yes I was concerned about cleaning them. Maybe reading about the double reserve power filler in the booklet until having the real thing was not such a good idea.
What type of filling system does the Divination use ?

peterpen53
May 8th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I know a lot of people have expressed their difficulties with the power filler but I really don't see it. I do just as described in the instructions and for me they work perfectly. Maybe I'm being too simple.
The Divina's filling system is called push and pull touchdown. It is demonstrated here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvap3-JyBY

It is equally difficult to clean, by the way.

Edit: if you search on YouTube for "Visconti filling system" you will find short clips describing every filling system Visconti has ever conceived.

Tracy Lee
May 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Peterpen53, I am with you. I have several power fillers and love them. My blue ripple with the double reservoir is just awesome. It is like having a bottle of ink in your pen, and so easy to shift ink back and forth once you watch their videos. My Divina is a piston filler, and I have found that if I fill, twist back, fill again without leaving the ink bottle, I get a nice full pen of ink. But once doesn't really do the trick. Visconti isn't know for having good piston fill systems, they get air bubbles often and you have to really fuss with some of them. Others draw up ink like nothing. I have a wide range of happiness and frustrating filling systems in my collection. I just roll with it.

peterpen53
May 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I didn't know the Divina came with a piston as well!?
Anyway, my only Visconti piston filler is the Ragtime and it never gave me any trouble. But it doesn't have an ink window so I can't really tell if it filled up well. And I never used it long enough to have it bother me.

AtomicLeo
May 8th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Would love to own a Homo Sapiens in Bronze trim, but alas to rich for my budget. :-(

Tracy Lee
May 8th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I didn't know the Divina came with a piston as well!?
Anyway, my only Visconti piston filler is the Ragtime and it never gave me any trouble. But it doesn't have an ink window so I can't really tell if it filled up well. And I never used it long enough to have it bother me.

Yes, and I have read the filing systems for the Homo Sapiens can differ, too. I haven't looked into specifics but wonder if they use different systems for their standard sized pens and their oversized version. I always buy the largest version of the pen. So, my big Divina is a piston but it holds a LOT of ink. I don't have any push pull filling systems unless I am doing something wrong! LOL!

john
May 8th, 2013, 11:02 PM
This Visconti power filling system works like the Sheaffer's touch down filling system.

peterpen53
May 9th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Yes, and I have read the filing systems for the Homo Sapiens can differ, too. I haven't looked into specifics but wonder if they use different systems for their standard sized pens and their oversized version.

With Visconti you always have to be careful with definitive statements, but as far as I know the HS Steel Age Midi came as a piston filler from the start. The Steel Age OS was initially released as a power filler but after quite a short time it was also changed to a piston filler. Bronze Age should still be a power filler.

I always buy the largest version of the pen. So, my big Divina is a piston but it holds a LOT of ink. I don't have any push pull filling systems unless I am doing something wrong! LOL!

Believe me, if you had a push pull filler you would know!

Tracy Lee
May 9th, 2013, 05:01 AM
With Visconti you always have to be careful with definitive statements, but as far as I know the HS Steel Age Midi came as a piston filler from the start. The Steel Age OS was initially released as a power filler but after quite a short time it was also changed to a piston filler. Bronze Age should still be a power filler.

I always buy the largest version of the pen. So, my big Divina is a piston but it holds a LOT of ink. I don't have any push pull filling systems unless I am doing something wrong! LOL!

Believe me, if you had a push pull filler you would know!

Yes, I would hope so, I was being a bit facetious because I have watched all the videos and studied my pens as they have arrived. :) I sort of want a push pull filler but nothing so far in my set. I also agree about the definitive statements - my steel age is not a power filler and I was disappointed! And it is a bit lousy to boot.

WendyNC
May 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I have found my people. I only have 13 of them (I think) and surely don't need any more, but the Raleigh pen show is coming soon . . .

Tracy Lee
May 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM
We are so glad you found us!

Bogon07
May 12th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Mrs Bogon advised of a pen delivery from Brooklyn this morning. It is going to be a long day at work waiting to see the Visconti red demo.

Tracy Lee
May 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Mrs Bogon advised of a pen delivery from Brooklyn this morning. It is going to be a long day at work waiting to see the Visconti red demo.

Share when you can!!!

Adhizen
May 12th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I managed a few months ago to snag a Visconti Metropolis on ebay for a sweet price. Nice pen... I really like the Visconti style. They are a little on the high end for me. So, need to save my pennies... I like the Homo Sapien... and the Michaeangelo... perhaps one will be my next pen.

Bogon07
May 12th, 2013, 09:28 PM
dang a dangleberry just missed out on an eBayed Visconti :typing: shouldn't have bothered with the decimal place in the bid !

Can't be too upset as I accidentally ordered a blue Salvador Dali on the weekend.

peterpen53
May 13th, 2013, 02:53 AM
dang a dangleberry just missed out on an eBayed Visconti :typing: shouldn't have bothered with the decimal place in the bid !

Can't be too upset as I accidentally ordered a blue Salvador Dali on the weekend.

You did WHAT? You have to be careful playing with these "BUY" buttons, you know. If this happened to me this would really worry me.
Reminds me of a certain well-respected and liked FPN-member, who was surprised by the delivery of a seriously customized Nakaya pen, several months after the LA pen show last year, having completely forgotten he ordered it at the show.
Oh..., you did not "accidentally" buy the LE, did you?

Bogon07
May 13th, 2013, 04:27 AM
No no LE Dali - its about the same as a dental implant with a titanium screw and I can only afford one or the other and I'm not going to live on soup for the next year.
I noticed a cheaper one that had been sold on an eBay shop and the Green or Brown versions were about $50 more. So I looked for a blue at some shops in the UK estimating they will be cheaper without the VAT. One shop looked pretty good and so I thought I may as well just press that confirm button as I was there anyway.

This is the Visconti collection so far:
Rembrandt Orange - I cannot place the Rembrandts together because of the magnets pushing them around.
Van Gogh Maxi Musk
Rembrandt Purple
Wall Street Blue
Ragtime LE Anniversary
Red Rebecca Moss New York Demonstrator - just arrived this morning & flushed out. Slight bit of tarnish on the clip when viewed under a loupe; it is looking better after a wipe with a silver cloth. Have to look at the Visconti filler videos again. Quite a big pen and feels like it will hold gallons of ink.

Close up of RM nib and the Ragtime's gold glitter

RM Demo showing RM LTD on the nib.

Tracy Lee
May 13th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Lovely, just lovely. And P.S., I lose track of what I have bought all the time!! :-) Those buy buttons are just so easy, and I am pretty sure just looking at a Visconti buy button activates the process. :-)

peterpen53
May 13th, 2013, 05:34 AM
So a power filler was not that daunting, was it? That RM is a really nice catch. Actually a power filler Voyager in a cocktail dress. And with a BB nib too. I'll be curious to know how you like it. Looks like it could be a bit stubbish. Congratulations! :clap2:

john
May 13th, 2013, 07:40 AM
I'm waiting for a red Rebecca Moss from US.which I bought yesterday.2658

john
May 13th, 2013, 07:42 AM
What a beautiful red demonstrator, Mr. Bogon.:thumb:

peterpen53
May 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Forgive me, I'm not entirely current on the pens Visconti made for Rebecca Moss, but yours does not seem to be a power filler, does it? :confused:

john
May 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Forgive me, I'm not entirely current on the pens Visconti made for Rebecca Moss, but yours does not seem to be a power filler, does it? :confused:It is not the power filler, use cartidge/converter for filling. There is another RM which is power filler and the colour is pink. I think that pink RM is made of celluloid. The price of my RM is very good.

Tracy Lee
May 13th, 2013, 01:31 PM
What a beautiful red demonstrator, Mr. Bogon.:thumb:

Ditto! Really a great looking pen and I like the color very much! Not usually a red person, but this is quite fetching.

Bogon07
May 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I'm waiting for a red Rebecca Moss from US.which I bought yesterday.

Forgive me, I'm not entirely current on the pens Visconti made for Rebecca Moss, but yours does not seem to be a power filler, does it? :confused:It is not the power filler, use cartidge/converter for filling. There is another RM which is power filler and the colour is pink. I think that pink RM is made of celluloid. The price of my RM is very good.

Congrats John, I know your price is very good it's only $2.50 higher than last bid I could get in. :cry: Still shouldn't be sad, the Dali is now in transit :)
It really is a beautiful looking pen, it should look fantastic in your hand when you turn it around, I think the other side shows some darker Cherry streaking.
And you will have fun with the clip - Mrs Bogon was very impressed by it.

"Actually a power filler Voyager in a cocktail dress. And with a BB nib too. I'll be curious to know how you like it. Looks like it could be a bit stubbish."
The nib is soooo smooooooth but gushes like a paint brush on a quick test last night. Maybe Edelstein Amber isn't the right ink for it. I think something darker will go better. This thing sucks up a ton of ink so I'll have plenty to practise writing in a bigger font size for a while.

It does look like it has been done up in a cocktail dress doesn't it !
So do you think these RM NY FlatTops are based on the Voyager ?
I'm bedazzled by the variety of them - power fillers, double reservoir filler and cartridge converters in reds, pinks, turquoise, tiger eye.
The other RM NY pens I've seen seem to be versions of the Millenium ?

"Ditto! Really a great looking pen and I like the color very much! Not usually a red person, but this is quite fetching."- Tracy Lee my sentiments exactly I usually steer away from red pens but there is something about the tone and hue of these that really calls out to me.

Bogon07
May 13th, 2013, 07:20 PM
You know, one little pen that I bought that I never see anywhere for sale is a Gulliver. It is a very small little Visconti, mine is a wonderful cobalt - ish blue swirled with back.

This AirlineInternational site lists a vast range of Visconti pens so it would may a useful reference site.
http://www.airlineinternational.net/viscontipens.html
It even shows the Gulliver model fountainpen in marble brown, forest green, dark green, grey, yellow, blue, black, macaroni yellow, pesto green - pity there isn't much detail.
http://www.airlineinternational.net/viregufope.html

KrazyIvan
May 13th, 2013, 07:22 PM
You know, one little pen that I bought that I never see anywhere for sale is a Gulliver. It is a very small little Visconti, mine is a wonderful cobalt - ish blue swirled with back.

This AirlineInternational site lists a vast range of Visconti pens so it would may a useful reference site.
http://www.airlineinternational.net/viscontipens.html
It even shows the Gulliver model fountainpen in marble brown, forest green, dark green, grey, yellow, blue, black, macaroni yellow, pesto green - pity there isn't much detail.
http://www.airlineinternational.net/viregufope.html

They must have most of them in the back because they don't have that many on display, well not the last time I was there.

john
May 13th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I'm waiting for a red Rebecca Moss from US.which I bought yesterday.

Congrats John, I know your price is very good it's only $2.50 higher than last bid I could get in. :cry: Still shouldn't be sad, the Dali is now in transit :)
It really is a beautiful looking pen, it should look fantastic in your hand when you turn it around, I think the other side shows some darker Cherry streaking.
And you will have fun with the clip - Mrs Bogon was very impressed by it.

"Actually a power filler Voyager in a cocktail dress. And with a BB nib too. I'll be curious to know how you like it. Looks like it could be a bit stubbish."
The nib is soooo smooooooth but gushes like a paint brush on a quick test last night. Maybe Edelstein Amber isn't the right ink for it. I think something darker will go better. This thing sucks up a ton of ink so I'll have plenty to practise writing in a bigger font size for a while.

I'm bedazzled by the variety of them - power fillers, double reservoir filler and cartridge converters in reds, pinks, turquoise, tiger eye.

"Ditto! Really a great looking pen and I like the color very much! Not usually a red person, but this is quite fetching."- Tracy Lee my sentiments exactly I usually steer away from red pens but there is something about the tone and hue of these that really calls out to me.Thanks, Mr.Bogon. I hope that RM will be a great writer.
I like the Dali series especially the colour pattern are great, but I don't like the watch on the clip, if I can remove the watch away, I will get the Dali too.

Bogon07
May 13th, 2013, 10:13 PM
They must have most of them in the back because they don't have that many on display, well not the last time I was there.
I was wondering about that as most of the Visconti pens there have "call for availability" which often indicates they have to order them in from their wharehouse or a distributor.

Thanks, Mr.Bogon. I hope that RM will be a great writer.
I like the Dali series especially the colour pattern are great, but I don't like the watch on the clip, if I can remove the watch away, I will get the Dali too.

I think yours is coming with an F nib isn't it ?
If it as even half as smooth as the BB it should be a real pleasure to write with. It is a fantastic pen to just look at.

I know the limp watch on the clip is a bit silly but that is part of the charm of the pen. If you're not keen on the watch on the clip you could consider the current VanGogh pen as it seems just about identical except it has a different cap ring & a clip without the limp watch and different coloured resin (the SelfPorait is a light blue).

peterpen53
May 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM

The barrel seems to be a bit thicker than the Voyager's, shown by the tapering of the filler knob, just like the Diamond Jubilee. But in general appearance, it's very similar to a Voyager, especially with the old style clip.

john
May 14th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I was wondering about that as most of the Visconti pens there have "call for availability" which often indicates they have to order them in from their wharehouse or a distributor.

Thanks, Mr.Bogon. I hope that RM will be a great writer.

I think yours is coming with an F nib isn't it ?
If it as even half as smooth as the BB it should be a real pleasure to write with. It is a fantastic pen to just look at.

I know the limp watch on the clip is a bit silly but that is part of the charm of the pen. If you're not keen on the watch on the clip you could consider the current VanGogh pen as it seems just about identical except it has a different cap ring & a clip without the limp watch and different coloured resin (the SelfPorait is a light blue).The seller didn't mention the nib size, I think it is a fine nib.If it is medium nib then it is perfect for me. I like the Van Gogh series too. Self Portrait and Starry Night, I like them both.

Tracy Lee
May 14th, 2013, 04:49 AM

I have been told by FPH that they have rules dealing with Visconti and cannot always list the prices openly. I think they are also sometimes restricted on posting sale prices, but other times they do. I have gotten good pricing when emailing for prices. My Typhoon I did that and the price was good, but then I found it $11 cheaper with free shipping on EBay and just ordered there and held my breath. It came brand new as promised and shipped directly from Coles of London, the US distributor and that really had me puzzled. I decided I was officially at a loss for how all of that works. But Coles is in North Carolina (recently moved there from Tampa, Florida) so I get things very quickly from them when they are involved. I bought my HS Bronze from Bertram's Inkwell, just called Bert and ordered, it shipped from Coles. So maybe they save the middle costs that way? As long as I get my pens I decided not to worry about the mechanics! :)

Bogon07
May 14th, 2013, 04:57 PM
The Penshoppe here has "call for availability or price" on a lot of their pens although I think that is more from embrassment at their high prices than anything else.

Bogon07
May 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I know a lot of people have expressed their difficulties with the power filler but I really don't see it. I do just as described in the instructions and for me they work perfectly. Maybe I'm being too simple.
The Divina's filling system is called push and pull touchdown. It is demonstrated here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvap3-JyBY

It is equally difficult to clean, by the way.

Edit: if you search on YouTube for "Visconti filling system" you will find short clips describing every filling system Visconti has ever conceived.

I was watching the filling videos again last night and there progressed to the rest of the series, interesting background on some of the other pen types particularly the WallStreet (now I know why one side is darker than the other) then progressed to a few Doc Brown visconti videos for good measure.

I'm now more inclinded to think my "RedCocktailDress" Demo is a double reservoir not a power filler with the little reservoir rather obsured by the more solid colour.

Tracy Lee
May 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I have been sitting here watching videos, too. Learned my Delta DolceVita can be an eyedropper and then I had to watch videos of what that means. MIND. BLOWN. I have some learning to do. ANYWAY, the double reservoir is a fantastic system. My Typhoon and my Blue Ripple are both doubles and once I learned what that meant and how to use thanks to the videos, I was instantly hooked. :)

peterpen53
May 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I was watching the filling videos again last night and there progressed to the rest of the series, interesting background on some of the other pen types particularly the WallStreet (now I know why one side is darker than the other) then progressed to a few Doc Brown visconti videos for good measure.

I'm now more inclinded to think my "RedCocktailDress" Demo is a double reservoir not a power filler with the little reservoir rather obsured by the more solid colour.

I find it odd this would be so, but I found a picture on chatterleyluxuries.com of a solid red one that clearly shows the ink window of the double reservoir power fillers, so there you have it. It seems to be called the New York edition.

peterpen53
May 15th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I have been sitting here watching videos, too. Learned my Delta DolceVita can be an eyedropper and then I had to watch videos of what that means. MIND. BLOWN. I have some learning to do. ANYWAY, the double reservoir is a fantastic system. My Typhoon and my Blue Ripple are both doubles and once I learned what that meant and how to use thanks to the videos, I was instantly hooked. :)

You did not get your DolceVita in that gynormous box that contains an eyedropper?

Just out of curiosity, how did you use your Ripple before? :)

Bogon07
May 15th, 2013, 10:21 PM

I find it odd this would be so, but I found a picture on chatterleyluxuries.com of a solid red one that clearly shows the ink window of the double reservoir power fillers, so there you have it. It seems to be called the New York edition.

Peter was this the one you were looking at
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/visconti-rebecca-moss-new-york-limited-edition-fountain-pen/
They describe it as a power filler. It is the first one in about half a dozen I've seen with a clear ink window.
It has a thin band next to the thick bands on the cap like mine and the other power filler/double res(?) while the cartridge/converters seem to have just the thick cap bands. And there is also an orange one with a single set of three thin bands on the cap that appears to have a blind cap at the end of the barrel-who knows what that one is.
So they were called the Rebecca Moss of New York Flat Top Collection of 365 pens.
Did this collection have a range of different colours and type in the 365 pens or did they commision a bunch of different pen each in a run of 365 ?

Peter they've also got you next pen waiting for you:
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/hand-painted-visconti-voyager-brown-green-meteor-one-of-a-kind-fountain-pen/
Mind you the clip looks a little bit tarnished or is it supposed to have that effect ?

peterpen53
May 16th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Peter was this the one you were looking at
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/visconti-rebecca-moss-new-york-limited-edition-fountain-pen/

Yes, that's the one.

They describe it as a power filler. It is the first one in about half a dozen I've seen with a clear ink window.
It has a thin band next to the thick bands on the cap like mine and the other power filler/double res(?) while the cartridge/converters seem to have just the thick cap bands. And there is also an orange one with a single set of three thin bands on the cap that appears to have a blind cap at the end of the barrel-who knows what that one is.

I've noticed before not everyone is always clear about the designation of Visconti's different filling systems. Until I saw the videos I reffered to in my earlier post I had never even heard of the Divina's push pull system.
In my collection I have four double reservoir power fillers and they all have an ink window. I have three ordinary (single reservoir) power fillers and none of them has an ink window. This leads me to believe that only the double reservoir power fillers have ink windows. That's not definitive evidence, but it is consistent with the pens Visconti has released over the past years which I didn't buy but have seen one way or another.
A pen with a blind cap might either be a piston filler or a single reservoir power filler.

So they were called the Rebecca Moss of New York Flat Top Collection of 365 pens.
Did this collection have a range of different colours and type in the 365 pens or did they commision a bunch of different pen each in a run of 365 ?

Peter they've also got you next pen waiting for you:
https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/hand-painted-visconti-voyager-brown-green-meteor-one-of-a-kind-fountain-pen/
Mind you the clip looks a little bit tarnished or is it supposed to have that effect ?

For some reason I can't access the Rebecca Moss website anymore but from what I remember having seen on a visit in the past year, this edition had different colours.
And I think I may pass up on this one, thank you very much. Since it looks like a custom paint job, I suspect the clip is meant to look this way. And I would not expect Bryant to sell a pen in an obviously tarnished condition without explicitly saying so.

Bogon07
May 16th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Peter my one seems to have a hidden little ink supply in the area between the thread for the cap and the interior thread in the barrel where the plastic solid red, if I hold it nib up and unscrew the blind cap it releases a noticeable amount of ink back into the clear part of the barrel.

Here is The Hand Painted Visconti Voyager Brown / Green Meteor Limited Edition Fountain Pen-you won't get much change from $4000. The pen was created as part of a limited edition of 10 pieces worldwide, and is a custom Visconti piece. This pen employs Maki-e techniques using Meteorite powder . This has an 18kt Gold Visconti medium nib, other nibs may be available upon request.This pen carried an MSRP of 6000 €, when it came out around 2000. The box and packaging have been made by the famous Elie Bleu Paris. It is a substantial box with a glass top. We have two of these works for sale here, the other one is brown with gold trim. 2751

peterpen53
May 16th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Then, sir, you definitely have a double reservoir power filler. In my experience, the large tank holds 4 or 5 fillings for the small one.

I saw that Voyager on Bryant's website. It's not something I would go for, although it definitely is unique.

Tracy Lee
May 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM

You did not get your DolceVita in that gynormous box that contains an eyedropper?

Just out of curiosity, how did you use your Ripple before? :)

Oh goodie, I get to really display my ignorance! :) First, yes, My Delta came in a huge box with a lovely eyedropper, stand and bottle of yellowish ink (which is kind of awful). I will just admit I had no idea what it was for and tucked it away carefully five years ago when I got the pen. Clearly there are things in this FP world that totally escape me so I do love this forum for educating me. The Delta comes with a lovely converter, which is what I use. It was Mr. Brown's video that explained why the pen had an eyedropper and how it works. I know most of you know all this, but I am a totally fascinated newbie to eyedroppers.

My first double was the ripple. I filled, used until the window was clear and KNEW there was an abundance still in the pen. I pulled up Visconti's video, had my aha moment, and instantly loved how it worked. I would buy every pen that way if I could. I didn't mean to have it sound like I only learned that last night - I just looked at what I wrote and it sounds that way. My sloppiness. I have understood those from the beginning. Last night was all about this whole eyedropper thing. For an hour. Amazing, I totally get it. :eek::D

Tracy Lee
May 16th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Yes, that's the one.

I've noticed before not everyone is always clear about the designation of Visconti's different filling systems. Until I saw the videos I reffered to in my earlier post I had never even heard of the Divina's push pull system.
In my collection I have four double reservoir power fillers and they all have an ink window. I have three ordinary (single reservoir) power fillers and none of them has an ink window. This leads me to believe that only the double reservoir power fillers have ink windows. That's not definitive evidence, but it is consistent with the pens Visconti has released over the past years which I didn't buy but have seen one way or another.
A pen with a blind cap might either be a piston filler or a single reservoir power filler.

I would concur with this assessment based on what I have seen and own as well.

peterpen53
May 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Oh goodie, I get to really display my ignorance! :) First, yes, My Delta came in a huge box with a lovely eyedropper, stand and bottle of yellowish ink (which is kind of awful). I will just admit I had no idea what it was for and tucked it away carefully five years ago when I got the pen. Clearly there are things in this FP world that totally escape me so I do love this forum for educating me. The Delta comes with a lovely converter, which is what I use. It was Mr. Brown's video that explained why the pen had an eyedropper and how it works. I know most of you know all this, but I am a totally fascinated newbie to eyedroppers.

To be honest, the guy I bought it from told me about its eyedropper use. But since I'm well aware of my own clumsiness, I saw this coming from afar, so I avoid eyedroppers like the pest.

My first double was the ripple. I filled, used until the window was clear and KNEW there was an abundance still in the pen. I pulled up Visconti's video, had my aha moment, and instantly loved how it worked. I would buy every pen that way if I could. I didn't mean to have it sound like I only learned that last night - I just looked at what I wrote and it sounds that way. My sloppiness. I have understood those from the beginning. Last night was all about this whole eyedropper thing. For an hour. Amazing, I totally get it. :eek::D

To get back to one of our very first exchanges on this thread (about taking pens on a plane trip): the twin reservoir power fillers are perfect for that. You let the ink in the smaller tank flow back into the big one and then no ink will be exposed to the changing cabin pressure and so it should not leak. Now, I'm not advocating you take your Ripple to Hawaii, but... just sayin'.

Tracy Lee
May 16th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I have travelled with it, very handy. My pens have never leaked on a plane so I wasn't too concerned, but certainly see the utility. I will say that TSA did not share my love affair with the ripple. They were alarmed by the large chamber and piston rod down the middle. Took me 10 minutes and three trips through the xray machine for them to be willing to let me and my pens go.

john
May 16th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the nib and the feed from the section of the Opera club?
Thanks.

Mags
May 18th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the nib and the feed from the section of the Opera club?
Thanks.

I am also interested in the answer to this question you posed John.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

peterpen53
May 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM
If you look at the base of the feed/nib straight on, you'll see two very small holes. There is a Visconti tool that slides over the feed and fits these two holes, so you can screw out the nib/feed assembly. I got one of these tools from the Dutch Visconti agent, but it is my understanding that they are not generally available. Some Visconti dealers may have them for the purpose of exchanging nibs.
I tried on my Homo Sapiens and it does fit, but since I had no need to unscrew it I did not force it, but I think it would need quite a bit of force. And because the holes and the pins are very small I doubt it would a simple and practical operation. If memory serves, this tool was included in the HS calligraphy set when that pen was released and that included the entire range of nibs available for this pen, so it should work.

john
May 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
If you look at the base of the feed/nib straight on, you'll see two very small holes. There is a Visconti tool that slides over the feed and fits these two holes, so you can screw out the nib/feed assembly. I got one of these tools from the Dutch Visconti agent, but it is my understanding that they are not generally available. Some Visconti dealers may have them for the purpose of exchanging nibs.
I tried on my Homo Sapiens and it does fit, but since I had no need to unscrew it I did not force it, but I think it would need quite a bit of force. And because the holes and the pins are very small I doubt it would a simple and practical operation. If memory serves, this tool was included in the HS calligraphy set when that pen was released and that included the entire range of nibs available for this pen, so it should work.Thanks, Peter. May be I can make a tool to unscrew the feed and nib. I want to make the ink flows better because the Opera broad nib always skips at the first stroke.

peterpen53
May 18th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I tried to take a picture of the thingy (iPhone, sorry) so you have an idea.

General view:

Detail of the head:

This is the side that's supposed to slide over the feed.

Good luck!

john
May 18th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks a lot for you pictures, Peter. May be I will use a metal section or a brass tube to make a tool like yours.

WendyNC
May 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
You need the tool if you're going to remove the whole assemblage, which includes the collar (is that the right word?) which fits around the feed and holds it into the pen. However, if you only want to pull the nib and fin feed, they are friction fit into that collar and can be pulled out with the the proper padded grips, some wiggling and a strong arm. I know this from watching Michael Masuyama (Mike It Work (http://mikeitwork.com/)) do it to some of my pens and asking him about it.

john
May 18th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks Wendy.

Tracy Lee
May 24th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thought I would share pictures of my new old stock Rebecca Moss Visconti red Flat Top. Love the black swirls and the red color is hard to describe exactly.

Tracy Lee
May 24th, 2013, 10:23 AM
And some pictures of the Rebecca Moss Visconti Green Millennium acquired at the same time. Though new, the clip has a lot of tarnish and marking I didn't expect, but does not detract significantly from the pen. One our cats, Shya, famous so far for laying on my letter writing, seemed to be watchful of this one.

john
May 24th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Tracy,these two Rebecca Moss pens are awesome.

Bogon07
May 24th, 2013, 05:14 PM
What John said +2. The Rebecca Moss Visconti Green Millennium looks wonderful some of the seller's photos of these pens didn't really show the pens properly. And the Cherry(that's what Penandbeyond called it) is gorgeous, yours too John & now hopefully mine) it looks like you could eat it. Wouldn't that the surreal pen shaped candy at a pen show! Thanks again Tracy Lee for sharing your new additions.

Tracy Lee
May 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Bogon, hope to see your new ones soon. It does remind me of that black shoelace licorice trapped in a cherry jolly rancher candy. :) Great, now I want to eat my pen. :eek:

john
May 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM
What John said +2. The Rebecca Moss Visconti Green Millennium looks wonderful some of the seller's photos of these pens didn't really show the pens properly. And the Cherry(that's what Penandbeyond called it) is gorgeous, yours too John & now hopefully mine) it looks like you could eat it. Wouldn't that the surreal pen shaped candy at a pen show! Thanks again Tracy Lee for sharing your new additions.I hope I can eat the Cherry too, Mr. Bogon. I'm waiting for the postman to knock my door.

Bogon07
May 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Bogon, hope to see your new ones soon. It does remind me of that black shoelace licorice trapped in a cherry jolly rancher candy. :) Great, now I want to eat my pen. :eek:
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Now that would be an interesting poll - the most edible looking pen.:pound: I suppose the pens will turn up in about 10days. Now there will be three from the US.....I finally pushed the buy button on the Opera Mosquito (Mrs Bogon is going to be !!!?!!! when I tell her tonight when she comes home from work) John yours should be arriving any day now shouldn't it ? It would be funny if our pens have sequential xxx/365 numbers.

john
May 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Now that would be an interesting poll - the most edible looking pen.:pound: I suppose the pens will turn up in about 10days. Now there will be three from the US.....I finally pushed the buy button on the Opera Mosquito (Mrs Bogon is going to be !!!?!!! when I tell her tonight when she comes home from work) John yours should be arriving any day now shouldn't it ? It would be funny if our pens have sequential xxx/365 numbers.Yes, the pen is in Hong Kong since yesterday,just waiting for the postman to let me sign for it. After I get it, I will post the photos here. Opera mosquito, demonstrator or blue typhoon?

Bogon07
May 24th, 2013, 09:14 PM
John, It is the Blue Typhoon Opera on order.

7 Visconti that that landed.
And a Rebecca Moss case that came with the RM NY Flattop Dante's Chianti Red Demo - "the red cocktail dress".
The pen slot in it is way too small for it - though a Millenium or Ashford:) should fit perfectly.

john
May 24th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I can taste the cherry candy now:applause:

john
May 24th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Mr. Bogon, Blue Typhoon is awesome, longing to see your Mosquito. Your Visconti collection is a great seduction.

Tracy Lee
May 25th, 2013, 07:25 AM
John, it's gorgeous!! :-) And Bogon, you will love your Typhoon. What nib? I braved a stub for mine and it is so much fun.

john
May 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
John, it's gorgeous!! :-) And Bogon, you will love your Typhoon. What nib? I braved a stub for mine and it is so much fun.This pen is quite large. When I pose the cap, it is longer than my Mont Blanc146:)

Tracy Lee
May 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, huge. I think only my ripple is bigger.

john
May 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM
My favorite pens

Bogon07
May 25th, 2013, 10:43 PM
John, that is a nice selection of pens. Is the top one a Voyager ? And what type of nib did your Cherry Flattop come with ?The double banded black stripe is an interesting look on both yours and Tracy Lees pens, I hope mine looks like that too. Love the look of the Cherry Juice Opera-I was planning to go for one if the 2nd Flattop auction didn't pan out. I've ordered the stub with the Opera seeing I have now worked out how to use them more effectively left handed. Mrs Bogon was rather exasperated at the news of the latest FP purchase but at least she is contemplating some remedial retail therapy at one of her knitting shops Sale on Monday.

john
May 26th, 2013, 03:38 AM
John, that is a nice selection of pens. Is the top one a Voyager ? And what type of nib did your Cherry Flattop come with ?The double banded black stripe is an interesting look on both yours and Tracy Lees pens, I hope mine looks like that too. Love the look of the Cherry Juice Opera-I was planning to go for one if the 2nd Flattop auction didn't pan out. I've ordered the stub with the Opera seeing I have now worked out how to use them more effectively left handed. Mrs Bogon was rather exasperated at the news of the latest FP purchase but at least she is contemplating some remedial retail therapy at one of her knitting shops Sale on Monday.The top one is Ponte Vecchio Pompiie Blue. The Cherry come with the 14k fine nib, very smooth. My Opera club is with broad nib, very strong ink flow. I don't have any experience on stub nib, I want to try too. Mrs. Bogon is very sweet, letting you own the Mosquito:clap2: I'm planning to order the Opera Element next month:)

peterpen53
May 26th, 2013, 03:42 AM
... remedial retail therapy ...

I'll really have to commend this forum for its contribution to the further development of my English vocabulary.

By the way, do y'all get fleet owners' discount on your Visconti purchases? Sheesh! But great pens all around.

@Tracy: I can't help wondering whether that RM Millenium is a dolled-up version of the very first incarnation of the Van Gogh. It even has the screw at the back of the cap controlling the tension of the clip. Major differences are the trim and the screw-on cap instead of the gasket-like closure on the original VG.
@Bogon: how does the line variation work out when you use a stub left-handed?

Tracy Lee
May 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Remedial retail therapy makes the world go round. :)

But Peter, your comment about style of the Millennium is spot on, though not really dolled up. I am a lover of the original Van Gogh, hence the appeal to me of the millennium. I took some photos to identify differences, though subtle enough I will also describe. So first, all three together you can clearly see dimensionally they are similar. I won't measure, but the RM is slightly smaller around, but the length is pretty darned close. Second, its ends are more peaked than the rounded Van Gogh. Not pointy, but much closer to pointy in comparison. Third, the RM has a little flat spot on the pen at the end of the clip. Finally, the obvious difference is the clip, which shape wise is the same, but RM has the cut out in the middle, rather than the Visconti name. Nibs of all three are actually slightly different but big and lovely like Visconti usually is. So yes, it is a modified Van Gogh for sure. The color texture, of course, is a totally different theme. No real comparison there.

Bogon07
May 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
John, Ponte Vecchio Pompiie Blue, thanks it is very nice. Seems everytime I look around there is a new Visconti pen name.
Opera Elements are nice too, any particular colour in mind ? - did you see Stephen Brown's video on his one ?

Peter, I get all sorts of line variation. If I write above the line the results can be similar to a regular right hander.
While below the line, less chance of smearing the ink but the line will be much wider due to the angles involved. The lettering from a 1.5mm italic/stub looks way too big positioning the pen this way and I originally would use it only for headings.

Tracy Lee, great pictures they really help detail the differences between the VanGogh & the RM Millenium (& the RM(?) Ashford). The close up of the Millenium show cases the wonderful swirly patterning in the acrylic, acriloyd or whatever they made it from.
RM really went the whole hog even having the nibs RM LTD'd too.
Funny though, the Amber one on eBay now doesn't have the same nib ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281112318779?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649#ht_1616wt_1025

john
May 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM
John, Ponte Vecchio Pompiie Blue, thanks it is very nice. Seems everytime I look around there is a new Visconti pen name.
Opera Elements are nice too, any particular colour in mind ? - did you see Stephen Brown's video on his one ?

Peter, I get all sorts of line variation. If I write above the line the results can be similar to a regular right hander.
While below the line, less chance of smearing the ink but the line will be much wider due to the angles involved. The lettering from a 1.5mm italic/stub looks way too big positioning the pen this way and I originally would use it only for headings.

Tracy Lee, great pictures they really help detail the differences between the VanGogh & the RM Millenium (& the RM(?) Ashford). The close up of the Millenium show cases the wonderful swirly patterning in the acrylic, acriloyd or whatever they made it from.
RM really went the whole hog even having the nibs RM LTD'd too.
Funny though, the Amber one on eBay now doesn't have the same nib ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281112318779?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649#ht_1616wt_1025The Ponte Vecchio is an old pen, its condition is quite good. I will buy the Elements Air . I like Stephen's Elements but I can't find a good price with that colour. I'm watching the amber RM too:) If I can't get the amber RM, the Delta Fusion 82 will be my second choice.

Bogon07
May 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM
The Ponte Vecchio is an old pen, its condition is quite good. I will buy the Elements Air . I like Stephen's Elements but I can't find a good price with that colour. I'm watching the amber RM too:) If I can't get the amber RM, the Delta Fusion 82 will be my second choice.

I thought I saw pale blue/green one of those recently, not as intense and sparkly as yours.
Is the Air Elements a yellow one ?

Good luck with the Amber RM, it looks really nice & a B nib too. I prefer the blue one (sold previously, sigh) and there are already four pens in transit that need to pass through Mrs Bogon's Security Surveillance Systems.
Boy, there are a bunch of RM Millenium variations - Blue, Burgandy, Green, Amber, Onxy and a black body/cracked green ice marble cap so far. I wonder if there was/is a purple one ?

john
May 26th, 2013, 08:47 PM
The Ponte Vecchio is an old pen, its condition is quite good. I will buy the Elements Air . I like Stephen's Elements but I can't find a good price with that colour. I'm watching the amber RM too:) If I can't get the amber RM, the Delta Fusion 82 will be my second choice.

I thought I saw pale blue/green one of those recently, not as intense and sparkly as yours.
Is the Air Elements a yellow one ?

Good luck with the Amber RM, it looks really nice & a B nib too. I prefer the blue one (sold previously, sigh) and there are already four pens in transit that need to pass through Mrs Bogon's Security Surveillance Systems.
Boy, there are a bunch of RM Millenium variations - Blue, Burgandy, Green, Amber, Onxy and a black body/cracked green ice marble cap so far. I wonder if there was/is a purple one ?Yes, Elements Air is yellow. If I can choose the colour, I prefer blue too. Mr. Bogon, buy a big diamond ring for Mrs. Bogon, she will shut down the Security Surveillance System for a short while:bump2: The pale blue green is Ponte Vecchio skyblue which is beautiful too.

Bogon07
May 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM
John, if only we knew what colours the seller has up their sleeve at the moment it is a bit like Tetris just after one is sold a new one appears for auction. Fun in one way and frustrating in another.

Mrs Bogon doesn't like jewellery much so I have to go to a Wool Show with her in July.

john
May 27th, 2013, 03:39 AM
John, if only we knew what colours the seller has up their sleeve at the moment it is a bit like Tetris just after one is sold a new one appears for auction. Fun in one way and frustrating in another.

Mrs Bogon doesn't like jewellery much so I have to go to a Wool Show with her in July.That's why we keep on searching and searching........Enjoy the wool show with Mrs. Bogon:)

peterpen53
May 27th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mrs Bogon doesn't like jewellery much so I have to go to a Wool Show with her in July.

We all have our cross to bear, don't we?

I meant to include pictures of my first-generation Visconti in my previous post, just didn't get around to making them. But here they are. This is the tortoise colour I referred to in one of my earlier posts.

"En profil"

I obviously misjudged the lighting on this one, but it shows a nice detail of the clip.

The dark side of the ... pen.

This one shows one of the notches of the gasket-like closure system. When "screwing" on the cap it locks to the barrel by pure friction and won't come off unless reversing the same movement. Visconti was supposed to have borrowed this from the automotive industry. The engineers among us may well explain this much better than I can. I suppose it didn't last for very long (which I think is a shame) but it probably evolved into the system introduced on the Divina and now commonly used on the Homo Sapiens and the later versions of the Opera.

As the pictures clearly show, the real colours are very hard to catch.

Tracy Lee
May 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
That is a fabulous pen! The clip is pretty unique for a Visconti, and I like it. Their closure systems are definitely unusual, but I really do like the hook closure on the HS and several other pens.

john
May 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I like clip which is better than than latest model.

peterpen53
May 27th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I certainly don't dislike the hook closure and it's more secure than a classic screw-on (I have had pens come loose and out of the cap in my jacket pocket). But the gasket was unique to Visconti, I think, and can't be beaten for simplicity.

Bogon07
May 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Fantastic looking pen.
You could spend a lot of time just rotating it looking at the patterns and colours.
This is a neat and understated clip with the Visconti name being rather subtle.

Tracy Lee
May 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Talk about great customer service - Coles of London in the US handles Visconti repairs so I called about my terrible nib on my Homo Sapiens Steel Age (medium, no ink flow that is consistent, tried everything) and since something needed to be done I wondered how much it would cost to just swap in a broad nib. She said they do free nib exchanges if the nib is in perfect condition. Since I haven't been able to use it, should be no problem. I mailed it up there today. Very excited to get it working, and my Divina Royale has a similar issue so if I like the broad, I will swap that one too! :-) I have one Fine, one Stub, and 27 mediums. Time for something different.

kenmc
June 5th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Anyone see the new Visconti on the cover of the latest PW magazine? OMG!