PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

FredRydr
March 17th, 2021, 05:22 PM
North America went through the hassle last weekend, while Britain has to deal with the heavy burden two weeks later. Last year, for example:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F13%2Fc 6%2Ff4%2F13c6f4433e25b334fd787d662d7c3ffe.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Chrissy
March 18th, 2021, 01:57 AM
I think they might need a bigger truck or a crane.... :)

manoeuver
March 18th, 2021, 03:54 AM
Is there anybody left who is still in favor of the clock moving thing? Serious question.

mizgeorge
March 18th, 2021, 04:49 AM
Is there anybody left who is still in favor of the clock moving thing? Serious question.

Not me - but I'd want to stay with summer time - I love the lighter evenings.

FredRydr
March 18th, 2021, 05:09 AM
Are you willing to accept a compromise and join NDT? Newfoundland Daylight Time (30 minutes ahead).

Chrissy
March 18th, 2021, 05:53 AM
I'm still in favour of moving clocks forwards and backwards for summertime. I like lighter evenings too. :)

Wasn't it originally designed so that factories could stay open longer during daylight hours and save fuel? I think we still need the latter today.

Sailor Kenshin
March 18th, 2021, 06:31 AM

Ugh. Not only do I not know what day it is, now I don't know what time.

Ole Juul
March 18th, 2021, 06:37 AM
I find that changing clocks doesn't actually change the time. The sun still comes up at the same time. :) Noon at 1pm? Gimme a break.

Changing the clocks changes a hundred points of reference during the day and is confusing to me. I solve the problem by leaving all my clocks in one time zone all the time, and then just considering people around me (banks, stores, etc.) to be in a different TZ for six months. From internet work I'm so used to applying an offset anyway, but for home use there's just way too many to consider.

PS: If you come to my house, you'll see a little sticker by some of the more prominent clocks which says "PST UTC-8" which I put there for the benefit of guests.

TSherbs
March 18th, 2021, 06:54 AM
I wish it were standard time 12 months of the year.

CrayonAngelss
March 18th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Like Chrissy I love lighter evenings. Then there's always that one night during the summer where there's still a hint of daylight at 9pm. I dislike when it becomes dark at 4:30pm....

Sailor Kenshin
March 18th, 2021, 07:59 AM
I like the longer evenings also, but they happen by themselves anyway.

Wile E Coyote
March 18th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Are you willing to accept a compromise and join NDT? Newfoundland Daylight Time (30 minutes ahead).

Only if NST is 30 minutes behind.

manoeuver
March 18th, 2021, 09:13 AM

Only if NST is 30 minutes behind.
oh no

An old bloke
March 18th, 2021, 01:04 PM

I understand the principles and motives behind changing to/from Daylight Savings Time, but I'm not in favour of the it. In fact, I find it really annoying.

Walking with dogs
March 18th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Luckily, I live in Arizona where we don’t exchange in such silliness. Long ago, we decided to reserve all of our silliness for the state legislature.

Personally, I enjoy the early daylight in summer when I’m up and about and most others aren’t.

Ole Juul
March 18th, 2021, 03:20 PM
Personally, I enjoy the early daylight in summer when I’m up and about and most others aren’t.
Well luckily the early daylight has nothing to do with the clocks so you can enjoy it all year round.

Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Robert
March 18th, 2021, 04:45 PM
I will gladly accept Fred's suggestion to compromise - and have been of the same mind for years: split the baby and be done with this nonsense, i.e., come October we "fall back" one half hour and . . . don't mess with the clocks anymore.

guyy
March 18th, 2021, 07:06 PM
One of the benefits of living in Japan was never messing with the clocks. A whole modern country that doesn’t bother with such silliness. Imagine.

Ole Juul
March 18th, 2021, 07:53 PM
India is a huge country and they don't do Daylight Saving there. Indian Standard Time, UTC +05:30.

Wile E Coyote
March 19th, 2021, 04:29 AM
I will gladly accept Fred's suggestion to compromise - and have been of the same mind for years: split the baby and be done with this nonsense, i.e., come October we "fall back" one half hour and . . . don't mess with the clocks anymore.

That's not how it works though...Newfoundland Standard time is UTC -3:30 and Newfoundland Daylight time is UTC -2:30, so there is no compromise.

I like the sun at its highest point at the same indicated time all year. Just think of the wear it will save on the stones.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 19th, 2021, 04:53 AM
It's never bothered me, although now I'm in new Zealand the clocks changes and seasons are inverted even though the months remain the same. Dec through Feb is summer!

TSherbs
March 19th, 2021, 09:16 AM
It's never bothered me, although now I'm in new Zealand the clocks changes and seasons are inverted even though the months remain the same. Dec through Feb is summer!
Happy Autumnal Equinox!

BlkWhiteFilmPix
March 20th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Not me - leave it on permanent Standard Time. (https://savestandardtime.com/)

Ole Juul
March 20th, 2021, 06:38 AM

That's interesting.

Funny how a lot of people have no idea that they can go to work any time they like. It's an agreement with your employer, and not with your clock. And stores can keep whatever hours they like in most cases. You doctor is free to set your appointment at 9am instead of 10am or even anything else. This idea that what the clock "says" dictates when something is to happen is plain lunacy, but many people actually think of time that way.

jar
March 20th, 2021, 06:48 AM

That's interesting.

Funny how a lot of people have no idea that they can go to work any time they like. It's an agreement with your employer, and not with your clock. And stores can keep whatever hours they like in most cases. You doctor is free to set your appointment at 9am instead of 10am or even anything else. This idea that what the clock "says" dictates when something is to happen is plain lunacy, but many people actually think of time that way.

Sill boy.

What happens is absolutely dependent on what my kitties tummy clocks dictate with no exceptions.

grainweevil
March 20th, 2021, 06:52 AM
I've naturally been waking up an hour earlier for the last two weeks anyway, as happens every year, so I can only assume I'm in favour of it. Well, my body is. The conscious bit of me tends to look at the clock and groan.

An old bloke
March 20th, 2021, 10:08 AM
I've naturally been waking up an hour earlier for the last two weeks anyway, as happens every year, so I can only assume I'm in favour of it. Well, my body is. The conscious bit of me tends to look at the clock and groan.
I would expect that your body is reacting naturally, as do most creatures, to the amount of sunlight.

TSherbs
March 20th, 2021, 10:57 AM
Funny how a lot of people have no idea that they can go to work any time they like. It's an agreement with your employer, and not with your clock.

Well, a lot of people can't negotiate the start of their work day. I am one of them. Quitting my job and profession would be my only option.

grainweevil
March 20th, 2021, 11:10 AM
I would expect that your body is reacting naturally, as do most creatures, to the amount of sunlight.

Possibly weevils are more sensitive to the rhythms of nature. ;)

An old bloke
March 20th, 2021, 12:12 PM

That's interesting.

This is true, and it is also true that our societies are industrialised and commercial. With that we are saddled with 'trading hours' (or as they are otherwise called 'business hours') which are dictated by that other centuries-old commercial creation -- 'banking hours'. That banking transactions now occur electronically with mere numbers being exchanged, that work for many can be done remotely via the internet is only now beginning to yield real changes in how many of us live and work. Sadly much of this change is being driven by COVID 19.

guyy
March 20th, 2021, 01:08 PM

Absolutely. We’ve done year-round daylight “savings” time in the US and it sucked.

KrazyIvan
March 24th, 2021, 12:44 PM
I just wish "they" would pick a time and stick to it.

FredRydr
March 24th, 2021, 01:02 PM
How about midnight?

Ole Juul
March 24th, 2021, 01:33 PM
How about midnight?

I prefer 2:30pm. It's less confusing.

An old bloke
March 24th, 2021, 04:44 PM
How about midnight?

I'll quote an interesting bit of minutia for you: 'You are guaranteed two minutes rest in the Australian Army. That is between 2359 and 0001. Nothing official happens in the Army between those two times because those officers running things won't know which "day" is meant, and that's bad for us the Infantry.'

KrazyIvan
March 25th, 2021, 11:58 AM
How about midnight?

Yes... my local time.:jester:

Roe D Hym
March 26th, 2021, 05:47 AM
I like the idea of no time changes and for the next change, in autumn, moving the clock back 30 minutes--essentially "splitting the difference". A lot of folks want "the extra hour" of sunlight after work for personal pleasure reasons (to play gold, garden, etc.) but there is the issue of the loss of the morning hour of sun which forces children to wait for the bus in darkness and/or walk to school in darkness. Adults have to drive to work in darkness. I also wonder if the loss of the sun in the morning makes people get up later and lose an hour of exercise time. Since DST was enacted on a wide scale as a result of a world war and revived for another world war, maybe we should put it to rest until the next world war. I suspect when WWIII happens DST will be a moot issue.

manoeuver
March 30th, 2021, 05:04 AM
That's interesting.

those things do benefit from folks agreeing on what time it happens to be.
I'll meet you for lunch whenever the hell I feel like it is a difficult arrangement for the other party.

Ole Juul
March 30th, 2021, 06:53 AM
That's interesting.

those things do benefit from folks agreeing on what time it happens to be.
I'll meet you for lunch whenever the hell I feel like it is a difficult arrangement for the other party.

I think I'm being misunderstood. My point is that people are free to agree on any time they like.

For example, some stores open at 8am, some at 10am, and some vary. They don't need daylight time to do that. Students go to school at 8am in some parts. I've seen 8:30, and the norm that I'm familiar with is 9am. But the school changes it from time to time. All this has nothing to do with daylight time.

This all reminds me of people who put their clocks 10 minutes (or so) ahead to keep them from being late. To me that's crazy, because it's not what the clock says that dictates the time. They could get up 10 minutes early and it wouldn't effect the time one little bit. It only changes their relationship to it.

adhoc
March 30th, 2021, 03:29 PM

No. I hate it. I want summer time, even though I know winter time is the "correct" time astrologically. We even had a vote in Europe and majority were against moving time.

On the 23 hours day I seriously feel the 1 hour. That's usually the entirety of my free time per day. On the 25 hours day it feels like the day just drags on and on and never ends. Who would have thought just one hour could have such an impact on our perception?

Scrawler
April 5th, 2021, 05:19 PM
It is an irritation which affects my med schedule and my daily transatlantic phone calls. I wish they would stop it.