PDA

View Full Version : Vintage inks

FredRydr
March 20th, 2021, 06:00 PM
In 1959, a British team had only one hour's notice to get on ship and abandon their Antarctic polar research station. Someone needs to go back for all that ink. There's got to be some nice Mabie Todds nearby.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3319/3449837712_6fe273f3a9_b.jpg

Turquoise
March 21st, 2021, 07:07 AM
Interesting to consider the pens and inks that are lying in wait for discovery. I read an article recently about a farmer who discovered a WWI soldier buried in one of his fields. The soldier had a safety pen in his pocket, still full of ink — and it wrote immediately when uncapped!

Ole Juul
March 21st, 2021, 07:12 AM
How long had he been buried when the farmer rummaged through his pockets?

jbb
March 21st, 2021, 07:42 AM
If I were given the opportunity to time travel I'd probably blow it on shopping.

FredRydr
March 21st, 2021, 07:48 AM
Interesting to consider the pens and inks that are lying in wait for discovery. I read an article recently about a farmer who discovered a WWI soldier buried in one of his fields. The soldier had a safety pen in his pocket, still full of ink — and it wrote immediately when uncapped!
Um..., sometimes we have to question and research what we read on the internet. If WWI, that puts the pen in hard rubber territory. Sac or no sac, such a pen would not protect its contents from the environment underground. Perhaps if the body was in a hermetic coffin with a juicy body, or below the water table, it might happen. But just a skeleton under a farm field?

Oh! On second thought, did the article describe a farmer alive in early 20th century wartime, and that he dug up a relatively fresh body not long after the soldier's death? I've been trying to find the story online, to no avail. Please share.

Robalone
December 16th, 2021, 04:32 PM
Greetings.
Pursuant just to 'vintage inks' on more than one occasion I've bought those old Bakelite travelling ink bottle holders , and found the had an original bottle still in them, and once or twice there has been dried out remnant dust from their previous contents.
I've added a small amount of straight tap water, ( careful not to add more than is necessary to make up a dense enough mix) and shaken it , and twice now have ended up with an ink that seems indistinguishable from the original.
One was Waterman Violet and the other a Swan ' Auditors Green, both of these have performed perfectly in FPs .

I love the stories about stashes of old pens discovered in caches ....wish I could find a box of old MT eyedroppers 🤣

BoBo Olson
December 21st, 2021, 08:04 AM
Actually I tend to think of vintage inks as '50-60 or before.
I have a few Pelikan cartridges left from W.Germany times two real fine grays and a very good orange............that Pelikan has not matched again.
Two Lamy's from W.Germany time, that I've not yet used. A blue and a turquoise, in different bottles from the more famous modern ones.
https://i.imgur.com/eAMqXGY.jpg

Z man
December 21st, 2021, 05:30 PM
Actually I tend to think of vintage inks as '50-60 or before
That's the thing about "vintage." As one cycles around the sun, one's childhood is shaded in vintage.