PDA

View Full Version : Tiny regret: vintage Aurora 88

TFarnon
March 21st, 2021, 02:15 AM
Why any regrets? Because I wish I'd "met" these pens earlier, and I wish I'd purchased one earlier. I finally saw a listing for one I thought I'd like at a price I was willing to pay. It even has the aluminum tube box/case. It's gorgeous. I haven't even inked it yet, just taken it out of the packing and admired it. It feels good in my hand. It's beautiful.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 21st, 2021, 03:12 AM
I had one that I gave away, regretted it instantly (though not because of who it went to), and only recently acquired another - a NOS 88K. Haven't got around to inking it up yet... really I should, it's a great pen.

mizgeorge
March 21st, 2021, 09:42 AM
I have three - one in daily use, two that need working on. I love all of them - they're right up there with my chicks amongst my favourite pens. They're a classic design, and just a joy to use.

fountainpenkid
March 21st, 2021, 10:20 AM
I've had several original 88s, including an early one with the Nikargenta-finish cap I'd long admired. My opinion of the pen always ran the same strange cycle in my mind: coveting one when I didn't have one, realizing it wasn't for me when I did, selling it because it simply didn't feel necessary, and back around again. I have never been able to keep one in my posession for more than 1 year. I think it's the design/function combination for me: while the section is girthy, the barrel's widest point is at the cap ring, which always has bothered me ergonomically. And the design begs to be used as a "daily carry," a companion pen, but I've never found one that held up to pocket carry without burping at some point in the fill. They are such beautiful pens, and few other hooded nib pens have such wonderful flex nibs...I remain torn.

DustyR
March 23rd, 2021, 02:10 PM
I bought one some years ago when I was looking for a slightly bigger P51. The P51 is a wonderful pen, but it's right on the line comfort-wise for longer sessions of writing (my fingers start to cramp). The 88 is a bit thicker and more comfortable for me. I still ink it up for a month or so every couple of years.