PDA

View Full Version : The venerable Parker 51

chamindra
July 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
The hooded nib may not be everyone's favourite but I have come to love the Parker 51. I currently own 3 of these and they have proven to be a reliable dependable writer. They may take some time to flush clean but the build quality and reliability make the Parker 51 a must have daily writer for me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/23/hypypuqa.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/23/ega3e8uq.jpg

ndw76
July 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
I used to hate hooded nibs. But after trying a cheap Chinese hooded nib pen I decided to give the P51 a try. The seller said it didn't work and I was imagining having to send it away for restoration, but q good soaking was all it took to get it working. Recently I disassembled it to clean and make sure everything was lined up correctly. Now it is one of my favorites. I can see myself getting another one, or two, in the future.

tandaina
July 23rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
For some reason 51s keep my interest, I don't care for pretty much any other American pens but those 51s.... I just wish you could find them with stub nibs more often!

carlos.q
July 23rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
For some reason 51s keep my interest, I don't care for pretty much any other American pens but those 51s.... I just wish you could find them with stub nibs more often!
You can get English made P51s with stub nibs from jorgerp1, a Spanish vendor that advertises on FPN. His page (in spanish) is: fountainpencollector.blogspot.com.es

tandaina
July 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Ooo, thanks!

da vinci
July 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have a broad made into a Stub by Oxonian, and an OM and they are both absolutely brilliant!

tandaina
July 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I would LOVE an oblique stub in a 51. I think I'd never travel with another pen again. Well, unless I got a similar nib in a hooded PELIKAN piston filler... Hmm.

cedargirl
July 25th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I have a gold capped burgundy P51 with an oblique broad nib inked with Diamine Denim at the moment. It's going to get a refill when it's empty, I'm enjoying it so much. Great pens.

Pens&Lit
July 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I have two 51s, one is a demi, and I love them both. The demi is a particular favorite of mine in my collection.