PDA

View Full Version : Nib help on Ink-O-Graph?

JTokash
July 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got this Moss Agate marbled Ink-O-Graph today from ebay. It looks like someone polished the nib (quite well), but it is misaligned with the feed and also has debris between the tines (lilely polishing cloth bits).

Can anyone tell me if the nib on this is friction fit, or does it screw out?

The lever operates properly and I tested it with water, but it will leak a few drops if shaken nib-down, likely from the tines being constantly sprung open ever so slightly.

Thanks for any info you may have.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jAPpMajrdoo/Ue4bMANCcnI/AAAAAAAACQQ/k2rtwQWBLlE/rps20130722_235610_575.jpg

Jeph
July 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
The only Ink-O-Graph that I have (much different style, non-tapered back rubber(maybe)) had a nib and feed unit housing that was pressed into the section.
I did not bother trying to get the nib or feed out of the unit as I was unable to take the bends out of the barrel.

Edit: If mine had looked as nice as yours I probably would have tried harder.

JTokash
July 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

I've searched a bit more online, but all I can find for Ink-O-Graph pens are how-to's regarding their stylographic pens, which seem to screw into the section.

I'll try to loosen the shellac with warm water or a hairdryer on low and see if I can separate the section from the barrel, then maybe I'll be able to determine how the nib and feed come out... and also assess the condition of the ink sac.

gweddig
July 25th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'll try to loosen the shellac with warm water or a hairdryer on low and see if I can separate the section from the barrel, then maybe I'll be able to determine how the nib and feed come out... and also assess the condition of the ink sac.

Good idea, checking the sac, might want to consider using dry heat only as hot water can sometimes cloud nice celluloid. As an aside most of my vintage pens drip ink when shaken. Let us know what you find.

JTokash
July 25th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the tip about avoiding water, I didn't know that. Also good to know about the dripping when shaken, now I won't be so paranoid about it.