PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds lingo

FredRydr
March 25th, 2021, 07:41 PM
It's a thread about the words and abbreviations used in classified ads.

What prompted this is a new listing where a pen is described as "ANIB" in capital letters. So, just what is ANIB?

Please, not as new in box or almost new in box!

BayesianPrior
March 25th, 2021, 07:45 PM
ANIB is usually found at the end of a APEN.

mizgeorge
March 25th, 2021, 08:43 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

silverlifter
March 25th, 2021, 09:40 PM
Aspiring to be New In Box.

catbert
March 26th, 2021, 05:46 AM
Anything Necessary to Inspire Buying

(Abbreviations Naturally Induce Bafflement)

Chrissy
March 26th, 2021, 05:57 AM
Maybe it's "APEN" with "ANIB"? :)

guyy
March 27th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Issa parta Chico Marx-a a-fake a-accenta Italian-a!

adhoc
April 3rd, 2021, 04:21 AM
Same with watches. Description: never worn. Picture: wristshot with the watch on the wrist.

Same with keyboards.

Marketing is really just rape of words. Not long ago I've seen a plastics manufacturer "debunking" myths on harmful impact of plastics on the environment.

mizgeorge
April 3rd, 2021, 05:59 AM
And we still don't know what ANIB means...

carlos.q
April 3rd, 2021, 06:40 AM
:rockon: It's an Almost New Item Bro'.... :rockon:

penwash
April 3rd, 2021, 09:45 AM
In Greek, the prefix "A" turns the concept that follows it, into the opposite. So ANIB could mean *NOT* New In Box.

(incidentally, this thread turned to be one of the funnier ones, keep it going, folks).

Ole Juul
April 3rd, 2021, 11:41 AM
In Greek, the prefix "A" turns the concept that follows it, into the opposite. So ANIB could mean *NOT* New In Box.

This is starting to get rather Boolean. Reminiscent of NOT, NOR, and NAND. :)

mizgeorge
April 3rd, 2021, 02:23 PM

(incidentally, this thread turned to be one of the funnier ones, keep it going, folks).

Unless of course it means that the pen described is anibbed (anibbous?), in which case it may not even have a feed either, poor little thing.

silverlifter
April 3rd, 2021, 02:42 PM
A Not Intentionally Broken pen...

Jon Szanto
April 3rd, 2021, 05:10 PM
It does seem to bear somewhat common use in other used sales areas, often in gun sales: As New In Box. Sorry there isn't a sexier answer.

mizgeorge
April 3rd, 2021, 06:31 PM
It does seem to bear somewhat common use in other used sales areas, often in gun sales: As New In Box. Sorry there isn't a sexier answer.

Nah...

Our versions are much better :)

I'm actually working on an anibbous pen right now (though I've promised it a new one before the end of the night)

BayesianPrior
April 3rd, 2021, 06:45 PM
Additional Nib Italic Broad?

grainweevil
April 4th, 2021, 04:31 AM
The seller anticipates potential accident while preparing for dispatch: Almost Not In Box
The seller intends to include a free gift: Also Nuts In Bag
The seller is a scammer: Absolutely Nothing In Box
The seller likes to tell people about his/her new pens and this one had: About Nine Instagram Brags
The seller is from Yorkshire: Adamantly Not In Bolton
The seller has another one: Also Now In Black
The seller wishes they had a different one: Alas Not In Blue
The seller wishes to scotch a rumour: Assuredly Never In Bronze
The seller is teetotal: Affirm Never Inked Boozed

Or maybe they just hate the phrase "Near Mint" as much as I do. ;)

FredRydr
April 4th, 2021, 05:56 AM
FOR SALE: Pen, new in box. Wait just a moment. On second thought, I better back off that description in case I sell to a sharp-eyed buyer...just to cover my butt.

FOR SALE: Pen, as new in box. Whew! That was a close one. (Or maybe I should just call it minty?) As if!

mizgeorge
April 4th, 2021, 07:04 AM
FOR SALE: Pen, new in box. Wait just a moment. On second thought, I better back off that description in case I sell to a sharp-eyed buyer...just to cover my butt.

FOR SALE: Pen, as new in box. Whew! That was a close one. (Or maybe I should just call it minty?) As if!

I think 'minty' should be classified as profane language and banned everywhere. It's like nails on a blackboard or foil on a filling to me.

FredRydr
April 4th, 2021, 08:02 AM
I think 'minty' should be classified as profane language and banned everywhere. It's like nails on a blackboard or foil on a filling to me.
Synonymous with as mint? The "y" tacked on the the end of mint is another one of those annoying modifiers.

carlos.q
April 4th, 2021, 08:11 AM
If minty is synonymous with as mint would nosy be synonymous with as NOS?