PDA

View Full Version : The Great Reboot

mathogre
March 25th, 2021, 09:18 PM
Hi!

I'm new to the forum, and mostly new to fountain pens. I'll confess I first used a fountain pen when I was a kid, and the maintenance and state of that pen was such that, uh, a year or two (yeah, a year or two!) passed before revisiting the world of fountain pens. I recently retired, and took the plunge back into fountain pens. My current pen is a Lamy Safari, charcoal with a fine nib and black ink cartridges. In a week I used the blue ink cartridge that came with it, and discovered that at one time I really did have some semblance of penmanship. (A part of me thinks I should be *writing* this!) I have a pen story or two to tell.

My current focus is on a white Lamy Safari, again with a fine nib, but with brilliant colored ink.

Anyway, it was fun to find this forum. Looking forward to meeting folks here!

amk
March 26th, 2021, 01:44 AM
Oh dear, you are falling down the "I want every Lamy Safari version ever made" rabbit hole already by the sound of it!

Not to worry, it's a lovely pen. And the nibs are really easy to swap over if you want a change of style, too, and pretty cheap.

I hope you're going to enjoy this forum. Just watch out for temptation, there's a lot of it around!

Chrissy
March 26th, 2021, 01:49 AM
hello and welcome. :)

mizgeorge
March 26th, 2021, 04:36 AM
And welcome from me too :)

jar
March 26th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Wahl
March 26th, 2021, 11:45 AM
:welcome:

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Good to have you. You will look like this in no time at all:

lsmith42
March 26th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Lamy Safari is a known gateway drug... you have been warned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathogre
March 27th, 2021, 01:53 PM
Thank you, everyone! I can see I'm in trouble. I *am* headed down that rabbit hole. :D However, my entry drug wasn't the Lamy. It was a ballpoint Mont Blanc I'd gotten from my wife years ago. A few years ago I was working with a model on a project in NYC. This was a complete little story where she was to write a response to a couple suitors. I brought my Mont Blanc as she was doing a vintage style. I replaced the ink refill, and we did the shoot. That ink made it into my veins. While I would love a Mont Blanc fountain pen, I figured I'd start slowly and discovered the Lamy. I think it's too late.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Fashion/Mary-Adams-in-The-Note/i-fqqMr5g/0/07da9c61/X2/022-GKG_3945-X2.jpg (https://www.grahamglover.com/Fashion/Mary-Adams-in-The-Note/i-fqqMr5g/A)

guyy
March 29th, 2021, 07:47 AM
That photo makes me uncomfortable because it has me remembering the sticky, rough & bumpy feeling of
writing with a ballpoint. You can see it in the model’s face: “Dammit, why did i not bring my 139L to this shoot?”. (I would have suggested an Eversharp Skyline in Dubonnet Red, a Balance in Carmine or even a Senior Duofold to match the print on her dress...)

As for Lamys, they are nice pens. They’re my everyday pens at work. For utterly irrational reasons, i like the Al Stars a lot more than the Safaris . I know they’re basically the same pen, but i just prefer the feel of the Al Star in hand. The 2000 is another modern gem that punches well above its price point.

And MBs, yes. I never bothered with the bps, being somewhat phobic. You’ll have multiple MB fountain pens soon enough.

DylanRandall
April 1st, 2021, 04:31 AM
Welcome aboard! Glad to see you here!!

mathogre
April 1st, 2021, 07:17 AM
Thank you, both!!!

KrazyIvan
April 1st, 2021, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the board and...

Bisquitlips
April 7th, 2021, 05:52 PM
:welcome: Glad you are with us!!

We are actually hoping that you will drag us down some rabbit holes we have yet to experience!

mathogre
April 10th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Thank you, KrazyIvan and Bisquitlips! With luck I'll bring you folks down a rabbit hole or two, and maybe you'll come out of it before you go in. ;) Lewis Carroll was also a mathematician.

Would you like some more tea?