PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Chicago!

damfino
April 3rd, 2021, 12:49 PM
Thank you for letting me join this group! I stuck a toe in the fountain pen water 25 years ago, but then a move to Chicago from Texas for a demanding job was a distraction and I didn't jump back in until last February. I bought a pen for my brother for Valentine's Day and then a cute mint Kaweco for me, and I've fallen hard! Then came lockdown in March (which is still going on) and a two-month furlough from work and I found myself doing all the newbie things--buying lots of pens and ink, etc. But it's been fun and I'm enjoying handwriting again.

I'm learning so much from all the posts here and am so grateful. I don't think I'm going to be able to offer anything knowledge-wise, but I'll try to post ink reviews instead.

Have been dying to go to a pen show, and am hoping for a vaccination and that I can go to the Chicago show in the fall.

I'm still going crazy for Kaweco, as I have small hands, and for the same reason I'm enjoying some vintage pens. I found a beautiful Waterman 513 in a striated honey celluloid with a cursive italic nib and am thrilled with it.

PS One reason I wanted to get back into fountain pens is partly because I hated using and discarding felt-tip pens and such at work. Was hoping to reduce plastic waste. I have bought some cartridges, but I flush and reuse them by syringing in bottled ink. And the Kaweco highlighter has been great for that reason.

jar
April 3rd, 2021, 01:05 PM
Very nice. Welcome home; pull up a stump and set a spell.

mizgeorge
April 3rd, 2021, 02:32 PM
Hello and welcome :)

And that's a pretty 513. We'll get you moving backwards and into eyedroppers in no time at all! They're mostly nice and small too...

Chrissy
April 3rd, 2021, 02:54 PM

Wahl
April 4th, 2021, 10:34 AM
:welcome:

Bisquitlips
April 7th, 2021, 05:45 PM
:welcome: Glad you are with us!!

Malcolm
April 10th, 2021, 03:56 AM
Very nice.

Yazeh
April 10th, 2021, 04:45 AM
I have big hands and I love Kawecos and vintage pens

damfino
April 10th, 2021, 10:36 AM

And that's a pretty 513. We'll get you moving backwards and into eyedroppers in no time at all! They're mostly nice and small too...

Just eyedroppered a Kaweco this week . . . and forgot that there was that darn free ink cartridge in the barrel! All fixed, but I've had a bright red ink on my fingers all week! :o

FredRydr
April 10th, 2021, 11:03 AM
...I've had a bright red ink on my fingers all week! :o
Apply Reduran hand cleaner to your ink-stained skin, scrub a bit with a nail brush, then rinse off.