PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever take notes in public?

Parsimonious
April 3rd, 2021, 08:03 PM
If so, how do people around you react? Do they eye you with suspicion? Do they ask you what you're doing?

A lot of people read in public and no one thinks anything about it. But, I've never noticed anyone writing in public, other than maybe a crossword puzzle or in a library. I've thought about it, but I wonder if it would attract too much attention. I'm a little shy and wouldn't like that.

mreeveshp
April 3rd, 2021, 08:09 PM
I do all the time, I always keep at least a notebook that fits in my back pocket for just such occasions. I know I can make a note on my phone but even when I had a note 8 I always found myself using a real pen and paper, nothing beats it. My memory is horrible so I'm always writing down things to remember, lyrics/poem ideas, etc. Plus studies show that writing something down gives you a greater chance of remembering the task or idea.

I'm only 33 so most people my age think its weird that I always have a pen and something to write on, I don't always carry a fountain (which they think is even weirder) I might just carry my g2 depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. And honestly I don't think anyone except my doctor has ever noticed. He always likes that I have fountain pens[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

silverlifter
April 3rd, 2021, 09:25 PM
All the time. Mostly on the train on my commute. No-one has ever reacted (not that I am aware of anyway, but I am focussed on taking notes, not other people's reactions).

Walking with dogs
April 3rd, 2021, 10:28 PM
Yes. I’ve done it for years in coffee shops, bars, parks, etc. No one pays much attention.

Chuck Naill
April 4th, 2021, 04:41 AM
Yes, all the time. Never noticed I was being watched.

guyy
April 4th, 2021, 05:32 AM
I am shy and attention-hating, too, at least in person, and yet i have no issue with writing in public. I wrote in public often before Covid. Others do it too, it’s just that most people do it on a laptop now. I expect i’ll go back to working in public eventually. I work better outside than at home.

jar
April 4th, 2021, 05:37 AM
I am truly amazed that we have reached the point where taking notes in public might garner attention. Kids these days.

Brilliant Bill
April 4th, 2021, 08:03 AM
You're amazed, I'm skeptical. I think people lie awake at night dreaming these things up.

FredRydr
April 4th, 2021, 08:09 AM
I am truly amazed that we have reached the point where taking notes in public might garner attention. Kids these days.
I'm taking a note of that.

Yazeh
April 4th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Some people take offence to sketching and it is understandable...
.....writing I don't understand why?

Zoe
April 4th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Always until the pandemic. Cafes were my mainstay. Broke down in tears the other day, while running a safe space errand, when I could not stop at any of the locals.

Sailor Kenshin
April 4th, 2021, 01:30 PM
If so, how do people around you react? Do they eye you with suspicion? Do they ask you what you're doing?

A lot of people read in public and no one thinks anything about it. But, I've never noticed anyone writing in public, other than maybe a crossword puzzle or in a library. I've thought about it, but I wonder if it would attract too much attention. I'm a little shy and wouldn't like that.

All the time. No one notices, no one cares.

So don't worry!

eachan
April 4th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Like Sailor Kenshin I write in public spaces all the time. I once had someone enquire what I was writing, not aggressively, just curious. That was a long time ago and completely ignored since.

Parsimonious
April 4th, 2021, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the comments. This 81 year old kid appreciates them.

Cookedj
April 5th, 2021, 06:55 AM
I do all the time. If asked I just explain I'm a teacher and though of something that could help my students.

KrazyIvan
April 5th, 2021, 12:42 PM
Yes. I was noticed only one time, that I know of. It was a teenager commenting on my fountain pen to her parents in a whisper. Did I mention I have really good hearing?

BlkWhiteFilmPix
April 5th, 2021, 03:05 PM
Yes, and no one's ever inquired. Might be because my camera's also on the table or counter (pre-pandemic).

During visits to Les Deux Magots in Paris (http://www.lesdeuxmagots.fr/en/), I've seen people at a table inside writing in a notebook, usually with a fountain pen.

mathogre
April 5th, 2021, 04:14 PM

This is interesting. I always like to challenge the views of others... ;)

@BlkWhiteFilmPix mentioned having his camera on the table or counter. That was my "trigger".

One of my pre-pandemic hobbies was street photography. I would do street photography in DC as it it next door to me, as well as in NYC. NYC was the best. No one cared, and it was a cool city to do anything you want. What I noticed on a fairly recent trip to Southern California, barely pre-pandemic, was that Southern Californians are in contrast paranoid of photographers. Street photography in my limited experience out there is Not A Thing. I got more than noticed for taking some street shots and got a considerable amount of Official Attention at one point. I've gotten "attention" here on the east coast, and while armed official attention in a couple cases, those people were actually overall chill. I'm often clueless, so it wasn't as if I was trying to push someone's limits; it just happened. SoCal was decidedly not chill.

Now, back to the topic of taking notes...

On the east coast the thought of taking notes being an issues isn't - or wasn't ever - a thing for me. Whether on the DC Metro, sitting in a public area, or even adding to my active grocery list in a grocery store (yes, now with a fountain pen!), it is a non-issue. @Parsimonious, I cannot imagine that note taking in public is an issue, but it could be an issue in SoCal or in other places. If you're getting bad vibes about note taking in public, there may be something you're picking up, whether you can put it into words or not. A "gut feel" is telling you something.

Just my two cents...

An old bloke
April 5th, 2021, 04:22 PM
I take notes in public without any public reaction. In fact, I would be surprised if there was a reaction.

Seemingly, the entire world takes little or no notice of what is going on around them.

Ole Juul
April 5th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Seemingly, the entire world takes little or no notice of what is going on around them.

I think this is key. Besides, people really aren't interested in what you're doing. They have their own lives. :)

Brilliant Bill
April 5th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Nice work. One of your "problems" with street photography is a big DSLR. You can't be invisible. People see a big pro camera and the instantly want to know why you're taking "professional" pics -- especially if the lens is aimed their way. I fought that for years using a 5D. Switching to a small Fuji mirrorless made a huge difference; people don't even see me. Up close I can use a totally silent shutter so they don't even have to know a pic was taken.

One of my pre-pandemic hobbies was street photography. I would do street photography in DC as it it next door to me, as well as in NYC. NYC was the best. No one cared, and it was a cool city to do anything you want. What I noticed on a fairly recent trip to Southern California, barely pre-pandemic, was that Southern Californians are in contrast paranoid of photographers. Street photography in my limited experience out there is Not A Thing. I got more than noticed for taking some street shots and got a considerable amount of Official Attention at one point. I've gotten "attention" here on the east coast, and while armed official attention in a couple cases, those people were actually overall chill. I'm often clueless, so it wasn't as if I was trying to push someone's limits; it just happened. SoCal was decidedly not chill.

mathogre
April 5th, 2021, 10:27 PM
Nice work. One of your "problems" with street photography is a big DSLR. You can't be invisible. People see a big pro camera and the instantly want to know why you're taking "professional" pics -- especially if the lens is aimed their way. I fought that for years using a 5D. Switching to a small Fuji mirrorless made a huge difference; people don't even see me. Up close I can use a totally silent shutter so they don't even have to know a pic was taken.

Bill, you're so right. I have a couple 5Ds (MkIII and IV), and paired with a 24-105mm "walk-about" lens, that kit isn't exactly tiny. I've looked at the Fuji line (reviews et al), and they're very capable! There's always the trade-off between reach and relative invisibility. I have a Canon G16 that's set up for some fixed focal lengths (done mainly because of the Fuji line), and while it's small as the Fuji X100 line, it's not exactly invisible. No matter, the Fujifilm X100 line definitely has my attention. :D

Brilliant Bill
April 6th, 2021, 11:05 AM
I don't want to hijack this with photography, but since you mentioned the X100...

The X100 was the first I tried, and it made all the difference. It's the single most versatile camera I've ever seen or used. It's got a little flash if you need some fill. It's got a built-in 3-stop ND filter if you want to go more wide open with aperture. An electronic shutter will get you to 32,000th sec. Only downside is you have to accept living with 35mm equivalent. It's an easy tradeoff for me most of the time. And the latest one has a flip-up rear screen; very useful in the streets and beyond.

The 135L was my prize Canon, but when Fuji came out with their 90 (135 equivalent) it was as good or better -- so I sold 20 years of Canon and went all Fuji. Beyond an X100, I most often use an XT2 and the 16-55 (24-70 equivalent). I've never seen a bit of image quality problems with the "crop" sensor, either on screen or in prints. Bottom line for me, the Fuji works WITH me in making images. Canon always seemed to be fighting me!

Okay, done. Back to notebooks in public.

Cig Harvey, a favorite photographer of mine, says, Cameras are just expensive pencils. What do you have to say?

Bill, you're so right. I have a couple 5Ds (MkIII and IV), and paired with a 24-105mm "walk-about" lens, that kit isn't exactly tiny. I've looked at the Fuji line (reviews et al), and they're very capable! There's always the trade-off between reach and relative invisibility. I have a Canon G16 that's set up for some fixed focal lengths (done mainly because of the Fuji line), and while it's small as the Fuji X100 line, it's not exactly invisible. No matter, the Fujifilm X100 line definitely has my attention. :D

BlkWhiteFilmPix
April 7th, 2021, 01:41 PM
In large cities like Paris, making photos is barely noticed, even less so when you use a small, unobtrusive camera.

In a small town where you're the only person on the street - and an outsider - it can draw attention. I maintain an active membership in the National Press Photographers Association and carry their press credential.

A year in the South - where people said "Good mornin', suh" to me, a complete stranger, as they walked past me in a diner in Oxford, Mississippi - taught me that it's best to give a wave or say "hello" in small towns.

A few years ago someone stopped mowing their lawn and stared as I made photos of a Corvair up on a lift in an abandoned gas station in a town that was so small you could throw a rock from end to end (as Sammy Kershaw put it in 'Chevy Van (https://youtu.be/IW7ZimYRfZI)'). So I walked up to him with the press credential hanging around my neck and said I was doing a project on small towns. I carry a two-sided business card that has a photo on a third of its front side, and another photo of cowboys on the entire reverse (https://www.bobsoltys.net/musings/tag/Three+Amigos). Since then I've started carrying a zine (as in magazine) of my domestic [USA] work (https://www.bobsoltys.net/acrossamerica)that I hand out in cafés and to people who appear concerned. I carry a different one with me to Paris.

Sometimes people need to be reassured that you're up to good.

One's bearing is key ... be confident, act as if you belong, not trying to hide, and of course offering to send a print (or jpg file) to anyone who you photograph.

The manner to affect is "These aren't the droids you're looking for." (https://youtu.be/532j-186xEQ)

FredRydr
April 7th, 2021, 01:59 PM
...The manner to effect is "These aren't the droids you're looking for."... (https://youtu.be/532j-186xEQ)
:rockon:

Scrawler
April 26th, 2021, 09:11 AM
Yes. I was noticed only one time, that I know of. It was a teenager commenting on my fountain pen to her parents in a whisper. Did I mention I have really good hearing?

When I have operated polls during elections I use "bulletproof" type inks so I can prove the documents I sign came from my desk. One time I was filling in an elector details form and the lady next in line nudged her husband and in a loud whisper "look he's using a real pen".

Sandy
May 29th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Not suspicion, no.

People may, politely ask, what I am writing. And that usually leads to a discussion about reading or writing. But that is few and far between.

R.A. Stewart
June 3rd, 2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the comments. This 81 year old kid appreciates them.

And this 70-year-old kid is reading them with interest and thanks you for starting this thread.

I always carry at least a piece of paper and a ballpoint pen with me (my standing joke is that we failed would-be writers always carry paper and pen), and more often than not a small Moleskine notebook that I use basically as a commonplace book. When I used to spend more time in public places, and even more when I was on public transportation daily, I was always jotting things down, and sometimes doing more sustained writing if I was working on a manuscript, song, report, or the like. I don't recall that anyone ever took notice.

Tammus
November 24th, 2021, 08:36 PM
Yes, because there is nothing wrong with that.

Chip
November 24th, 2021, 11:00 PM
I carried small spiral notebooks and wrote in them frequently with mechanical pencils, mostly. The notes were a crucial source for my writing, both poetry and non-fiction books. Just donated a carton of field notebooks to a university archive, for a collection in my name.

I also used a fountain pen to take notes during meetings: non-profit boards, state advisory panels, legislative hearings. It gave me an entirely undeserved appearance of respectability. (Shame about the tie.)

Cyril
January 1st, 2022, 10:51 AM
In large cities like Paris, making photos is barely noticed, even less so when you use a small, unobtrusive camera.

In a small town where you're the only person on the street - and an outsider - it can draw attention. I maintain an active membership in the National Press Photographers Association and carry their press credential.

A year in the South - where people said "Good mornin', suh" to me, a complete stranger, as they walked past me in a diner in Oxford, Mississippi - taught me that it's best to give a wave or say "hello" in small towns.

A few years ago someone stopped mowing their lawn and stared as I made photos of a Corvair up on a lift in an abandoned gas station in a town that was so small you could throw a rock from end to end (as Sammy Kershaw put it in 'Chevy Van (https://youtu.be/IW7ZimYRfZI)'). So I walked up to him with the press credential hanging around my neck and said I was doing a project on small towns. I carry a two-sided business card that has a photo on a third of its front side, and another photo of cowboys on the entire reverse (https://www.bobsoltys.net/musings/tag/Three+Amigos). Since then I've started carrying a zine (as in magazine) of my domestic [USA] work (https://www.bobsoltys.net/acrossamerica)that I hand out in cafés and to people who appear concerned. I carry a different one with me to Paris.

Sometimes people need to be reassured that you're up to good.

One's bearing is key ... be confident, act as if you belong, not trying to hide, and of course offering to send a print (or jpg file) to anyone who you photograph.

The manner to affect is "These aren't the droids you're looking for." (https://youtu.be/532j-186xEQ)

I agree it works well for photography. I had a mini print book like a Zine to show if I am able to convince what I am up to. And a small note book and a pencil to get down for important details to keep track of my things .

scrivelry
January 1st, 2022, 02:04 PM
I write in public all the time, and no one cares, so to speak, but I occasionally get a comment on my handwriting being nice. I personally don't think my handwriting is anything special, but I guess it is more legible than some.

A comment like this was the opening for the young person I am helping to learn cursive.

eachan
January 2nd, 2022, 05:43 AM
I, too, write in public, though usually the same people are around. Only one has ever commented. She said my writing wasn't bad for a man. I thought that sexism works both ways.

Ukor
September 26th, 2022, 07:36 AM
if I need something, I record a video