PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at a fountain pen storage box

chamindra
July 24th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I just completed my first storage box for my collection. I was inspired to try my hand by others on this forum like My63, so thanks to you all.

Decided to begin with a balsa wood box from the local craft store.

I sanded and varnished the box. Repeating the process until I had 3 coats of varnish.

The next step was coming up with a solution for pen dividers. I decided to make my own using square balsa wood dowels.

I then lined the box with green felt to give it a nice look.

The second layer was done using a foam core board cut to size. Balsa wood dividers covered in felt.

All in all I'm happy with the result. I made a few mistakes along the way and learned some things for version 2.

http://img.tapatalk.comm/d/13/07/24/u7yqyne3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/eruba8eh.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/heda9e9e.jpg

MY63
July 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Hi Chamindra
You should be pleased that is a fine first effort I also use dowels for my trays.
What do you plan next?
Regards

Michael

CapeClear
July 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Very nice result.

cwent2
July 24th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Great job, I echo Michael's statement!

and so what is the next project

Best wishes

Carl

kemuri
July 24th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Wow!!! It looks great!! Congrats!

-kemuri

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Excellent first attempt. I can imagine your expert attempts will be awesome. It does look like you need another box though. :D

chamindra
July 24th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks everyone... And yes it seems that I need another box to fit everything :-)

I've got several cigar boxes on the way. I think that will be the next project. If anyone has any tips or tricks please let me know.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OakIris
July 26th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Very nice, chamindra! Your first box turned out very well and, as KrazyIvan noted, you do indeed need another one as your photos show that you already have two pens that have no real home.

Once you start repurposing boxes for pen storage- and for paraphernalia and ink storage, too, perhaps - you will find it becomes as addictive as the pens themselves! (And once you have more storage, of course you will need more pens and inks and....It is seemingly a never ending cycle. Please let us enable you! :p )

I have only repurposed a couple of boxes for pen storage thus far - a cigar box and a two-compartment flatware storage box - but thoroughly enjoyed the work. Not sure that at my level of "expertise" that I will be able to help you with tips and tricks, but if you have questions, ask; I will certainly try to help you, as I am sure will Michael and others that have entered into this fun part of our hobby.

Felt works very nicely, and comes in many different colors and weights, but if you can find the color and type that you like, try using leather/suede for the pen cradles for your next project. I found that leather was really a joy to work with and I think you might like the results, too.

Holly

chamindra
July 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Very nice, chamindra! Your first box turned out very well and, as KrazyIvan noted, you do indeed need another one as your photos show that you already have two pens that have no real home.

Once you start repurposing boxes for pen storage- and for paraphernalia and ink storage, too, perhaps - you will find it becomes as addictive as the pens themselves! (And once you have more storage, of course you will need more pens and inks and....It is seemingly a never ending cycle. Please let us enable you! :p )

I have only repurposed a couple of boxes for pen storage thus far - a cigar box and a two-compartment flatware storage box - but thoroughly enjoyed the work. Not sure that at my level of "expertise" that I will be able to help you with tips and tricks, but if you have questions, ask; I will certainly try to help you, as I am sure will Michael and others that have entered into this fun part of our hobby.

Felt works very nicely, and comes in many different colors and weights, but if you can find the color and type that you like, try using leather/suede for the pen cradles for your next project. I found that leather was really a joy to work with and I think you might like the results, too.

Holly

Thanks Holly, please enable away :-) I have been admiring some of the collections on this forum and aspiring to same heights.

I will definitely be working on another box to house the growing collection. I hadn't considered leather or suede but it sounds interesting. Where would you source your suede and leather from? I'm curious to see if anyone from Australia has any recommendations. I'll look into it myself and report my findings.

It's great to be a part of a forum with such a fantastic community.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta