PDA

View Full Version : To Start the New Year,

John the Monkey
January 12th, 2012, 05:38 AM
http://getfile7.posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2012-01-10/tticJtwhGBGidqktBhvtIeaolmvuEineapdDhlAhGxqhJddGac pDBDtbwDfk/dwarf003.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Silly me - Gerald is actually the name of the worm in some earlier doodles I did. I think this fellow is called Dennis.

This is a doodle done to test a newly cleaned 9556 nib, I'd intended to practice the tentacles only, for another silly idea I had, and got carried away. You can probably tell, as the tentacles are mostly echoes of the first (rightmost). If I'd stuck to my original idea, I'd have worked out some different arrangements and poses for them.

The paper is a cheap "Boldmere" sketchbook, the ink is Monteverde Burgundy. I like the colour of the Monteverde a lot (more red in it than you see here) although it writes quite dry - I'm also pleasantly surprised by the variation in the 9556 nib.

EDIT: The original is about A6 size - blowing him up has done him no favours :)

manoeuver
January 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I like it but hope to never meet him.

eriquito
January 12th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Umm... that's a doodle? Apparently I've been doodling incorrectly all these years.

:-/ Eric
Son of Ragnar

John the Monkey
January 13th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I like it but hope to never meet him.
He's really quite friendly - likes people, couldn't eat a whole one...

Umm... that's a doodle? Apparently I've been doodling incorrectly all these years.

Ha! I think of doodles as being anything I start without having a clear endpoint in mind. Although, strictly speaking, I had an endpoint in mind here - that being a page of (hopefully) increasingly well realised disembodied tentacles :/

manoeuver
January 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM
He's really quite friendly - likes people, couldn't eat a whole one...
I see. I'm not sure which tentacle to shake. god I'm so awkward when meeting monster doodles...

Struthious
January 13th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Hey John, maybe you could help me sort this out.
I have been aspiring to do a comic of Payback Squirrel and Sputterbutt, the Sidekick Porcupine. Then it occurred to me that the side kick ought to be smaller than the hero. Maybe a hedgehog? But then the duo's name doesn't have the same ring to it.
Thoughts? Anyone? I'm still brainstorming... :D

John the Monkey
January 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I see. I'm not sure which tentacle to shake. god I'm so awkward when meeting monster doodles...
If I remember my book of Lovecraftian ettiquette, it's ok to shake the one least redolent of fetid, ichorous cyclopean halls & unknowable alien geometries.

Hey John, maybe you could help me sort this out.
Thoughts? Anyone? I'm still brainstorming... :D
There must have been "lunk" type sidekicks that are larger than the hero physically? Struggling to recall any, but I'm sure I've seen it, fwiw.

manoeuver
January 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM
If I remember my book of Lovecraftian ettiquette, it's ok to shake the one least redolent of fetid, ichorous cyclopean halls & unknowable alien geometries.Got it, thanks for clearing that up!

eriquito
January 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I've never actually been in the situation, but California Etiquette dictates that one should shake the first tentacle presented, regardless of geometry or state of fetidness.

One should also defer the post-greeting hand cleansing "until such action would not offend."

I think we're all ready for our meet & greet now.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

John the Monkey
January 14th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I think we're all ready for our meet & greet now.

Important to know whether one is meeting a California monster, or a Cheshire monster then ;)

eriquito
January 14th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Cheshire has monsters? I thought they only had cats.

:-/

John the Monkey
January 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cheshire has monsters? I thought they only had cats.

I've a book of Cheshire folklore that fairly bristles with tales of ghosts, demonic hounds, werewolves, dragons... Like any county of England, I guess :)

eriquito
January 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I've a book of Cheshire folklore that fairly bristles with tales of ghosts, demonic hounds, werewolves, dragons... Like any county of England, I guess :)

Oddly, that description fits just about any California city's phone book :rolleyes:

caribbean_skye
May 2nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
I wish my doodling has that much talent. :)

jfsisler
June 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
So does that mean we can't wipe our hand on our shirt afterward;) I think I need to brush up on my monster-squid meeting etiquette!

jfsisler
June 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Great "doodle" although I think, like Eric, I must have missed a memo on what doodle is....love the color. Somehow that just suits Dennis.

John the Monkey
June 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Great "doodle" although I think, like Eric, I must have missed a memo on what doodle is....love the color. Somehow that just suits Dennis.

My own definition is that a doodle begins with no clear end in mind - a sketch, on the other hand, is an attempt to put an image you can see frustratingly clearly in your head on to paper :) I like Monteverde's Burgundy too, although it's not a favourite to write with (very little lubrication of the nib, ime). I think Diamine's Syrah is similar, and probably has better properties in that regard.