PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Pencil Repair?

Jon Szanto
April 30th, 2021, 04:39 PM
I'm not a pencil collector, but there are occasions where a set will pop up that I would like to have (for the fountain pen). On just a handful of those, if the pencil isn't operational or seems stiff, I'd like to have the pencil mechanism restored so that the entire set is healthy.

That said, can I get suggestions of reputable people who do pencil repair? TIA!

Chrissy
May 1st, 2021, 01:40 AM
I have a few MP's and when they seem stiff the most usual cause is lead stuck somewhere inside the mechanism. On occasions where the bottom tip can be unscrewed and the top can come out it can be quite straightforward to clean out any lead debris blocking things as the basic mechanism is an internal tube.

If you have the fountain pen repair book there are a few details in there about repairing MP's.

There are also several images online showing standard mechanical pencil design and I'm sure you could disassemble many of the ones you come across. Obviously trying to get parts that are missing is a completely different story and that might need the assistance of a repair person.

Eachan might be able to assist. He and his wife repair mechanical pencils. :)

eachan
May 1st, 2021, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the reference, Chrissy, but I limit myself to Mabie Todd Fyne Poynt pencils these days. I have no spares for other kinds. But I expect Jonathan Veley does!

https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/

If he doesn't repair pencils himself I'm sure he will know who does.

Chuck Naill
May 1st, 2021, 05:11 AM
I found the old Parkers to be hit or miss, the Esterbrooks pretty much bomb proof (except for one with crumbling plastic), and the Autopoint the most fool proof design ever. Somene wrote that the most rare Autopoint is one that does not work.

Sailor Kenshin
May 1st, 2021, 07:29 AM
Since we have a few pencils like this, and want to try our own repairs, I'm curious, too.

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2021, 11:14 AM
I've dropped this note in a few places, no hard info yet. The pen I specifically want fixed is a Moore pen from the 20s, shown below. I do NOT want to f*** it up by trying to open/fix it myself.

https://i.imgur.com/JPJFbNnh.jpg

Farmboy
May 1st, 2021, 12:44 PM
Jon-

Simple lever filler. I'm sure it isn't beyond your ample capabilities...

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2021, 01:03 PM
Jon-

Simple lever filler. I'm sure it isn't beyond your ample capabilities...

You can be such an insufferable cockwomble at times. It helps to keep me balanced.

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2021, 01:10 PM
Note:

Thanks to a couple of leads (hehe), notably a post from friend Rena at Pentrace, I dug out a set of micro-drill bits I've had for a long time. Doing a little work on the front end, I was able to clear some clogged lead that was causing some issue. The pencil started turning to what I believe is the full length of travel. The lead in the pencil seemed short, however...

I finally pulled the end cap off, as it had been tight enough that I wasn't absolutely certain it *did* come off. Underneath was the expected eraser, pretty much unused. I popped that out and what do you know? About 6 good leads stored in there, all quite short, so that must be correct. I didn't see any real indication for lubrication in any of my sources, but I decided to apply a little graphite powder inside, just a couple of light puffs. I've reassembled the pencil and it works well enough for now. Not an area I want to become world-class in, but I'll probably read up a bit more on mech pencil restoration.

Thanks for the pointers, everyone!

(except Farmboy)

Cyril
May 27th, 2021, 02:42 PM
I also have one pencil or too to get Fixed up but haven't think about it as I do not want to get them messed up .

MikeWill07
June 9th, 2021, 12:45 AM
Could you show me what your micro-drill set looks like?

Chip
February 12th, 2022, 01:32 PM
A source of long shaft micro drills is McMaster-Carr. They have a large selection.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/size~2-mm/

I got a 2mm extended length bit for making twig pencils.

Chip
February 12th, 2022, 01:43 PM
I've fixed quite a few, including Eagle Simplex, Parker Big Red, 1940s Sheaffer, and some oddballs, such as the Nardi Tri-Kolor, that takes three colors of lead and allows you to switch quickly.

https://i.imgur.com/Hvwocw0.jpg

Jammed and broken leads are the most common problem. I've used a long sewing needle gripped with pliers to clear the tube. Sometimes, the mechanisms have been over-torqued, with bent parts, but most problems are easy to diagnose and fix.

ralfstc
February 25th, 2022, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Farmboy;323954]Jon-

cockwomble ?????

Which one was that, then?

Basset
December 1st, 2022, 06:21 AM
I have several Pelikan 600 and 800 series mechanical pencils (all modern) that need repair. I would be grateful for recommended repair sources as well.

Best,

Basset