PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Writer's Edition--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Nexus
May 7th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Montblanc has posted previews of their new WE pen.

https://collectorspreview.com/doyle

While nice looking imho, I really hate metal rings above the nib. The converter-filled MB144 rings had a nasty tendency to rust. It also doesn't have those horrendous body to section stepdowns some of their newer pens have.

guyy
May 7th, 2021, 07:16 PM
I agree with you on section trim rings. They’re a bad idea because the trim is exposed to ink and moisture.

I don’t agree about the rest of the pen. They should have stopped at the Hemingway. Just give me a black 149 with an interesting nib.

silverlifter
May 7th, 2021, 07:37 PM
The further you scroll, the uglier (and presumably, more expensive) they get. On the positive side, they seem to have arrested their death spiral into their LEs looking more and more like kit pens. So they have that going for them, which is nice!

I had to snort at the disclaimer: "Product images may differ from actual product".

Chrissy
May 8th, 2021, 12:13 AM
Not sure I like that overly done clip that looks cluttered at the top, nor the section trim ring above the nib, but at least it doesn't have that step down to the section that has been a recent trend with more and more Mb LE's.

When you scroll down to the 1902 edition sadly it gets worse. The clip looks even more cluttered and it has a smooth metal section. On the other hand that top cone matching the barrel looks more attractive than the metal one on the blue-grey pen.

FredRydr
May 8th, 2021, 04:30 AM
In a word...No.

Detman101
May 8th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Wow, these look amazing!
I bet they're amazingly expensive as well.
A collection of fancy curiosities that will ultimately mean nothing to regular citizens that cannot purchase them.
Ah well...

FredRydr
May 8th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Montblanc’s special/limited/writers editions that emulate their old designs are, IMHO, the only good looking versions. The Proust, Christie, Dostoyevsky and Hemingway are examples. But this? It’s gaudy with a gimmick tacked on.

Buyers could get the same bling from Montegrappa for a lot less money.

adhoc
May 8th, 2021, 10:27 AM
As with almost all other special edition MB pens, I'd be embarrassed to pull this thing out and actually sign something with it.

Ron Z
May 8th, 2021, 10:54 AM
They completely ignore the fact that Doyle's preferred, and advertised choice of pen, was a Parker Duofold.

agentdaffy007
May 21st, 2021, 03:30 PM
Very nice pen. Not too flashy. Just understated and nice. The regular and the 97 editions are beautiful. The other ones, not so much.

I like that they use the MB resin star in the 97 edition. Looks like the same star as my MB Heritage 1912 Stainless Steel BP.

Jon Szanto
May 21st, 2021, 10:57 PM
I noticed that on the 2nd model, the one with brown lacquer, the blind cap is done in wood in honour of Doyle's pipe.

It is crafted from precious wood. Their words, not mine. I thought it was only the plastic that could be precious.

Chrissy
May 21st, 2021, 11:40 PM
I noticed that on the 2nd model, the one with brown lacquer, the blind cap is done in wood in honour of Doyle's pipe.

It is crafted from precious wood. Their words, not mine. I thought it was only the plastic that could be precious.
No everything about it is precious. ;)

Linger
May 21st, 2021, 11:46 PM
FredRydr nailed it: similar to Montegrappa, it seems that MB’s design team have an internal competition going on who can integrate the most gimmicks in a special commemorative design. Reminds me of the Discovery TV series on the motorcycles of Orange County Choppers with father and son Teutel - from the sublime to the ridiculous.

There are worst examples than this Doyle, but the simplistic, pen-like, pen designs are to be found in the older versions.

penwash
May 22nd, 2021, 10:28 AM
I don't know guys, I kinda like this one.

If the stars lined up, I won't mind having the "Hounds of Baskerville" version.

The only aspect that I am not crazy about is the rounded end of the barrel. To me it should be a flat or flat-ish end just like the top. (MB, have a look at Aurora Internazionale).

HerrFlik
June 23rd, 2021, 01:50 AM
I am interested in the Study in Scarlet LE. the Baskervilles I see the mix of 'precious resin' and 'precious wood' and it just looks strange and dare I say it a little cheap from the photo (I think its the textures as well as the colours).

The other two I am pretty neutral about.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but when will these be released?

Detman101
June 23rd, 2021, 06:58 AM
I've been on the fence about actually getting an MB pen, with all these gimmicks they can't possible be durable enough for EDC.

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2021, 08:49 AM
I've been on the fence about actually getting an MB pen, with all these gimmicks they can't possible be durable enough for EDC.
Stick with a used 146 or 149 from a reputable source and you should be okay. They're ubiquitous and demand is constant, so your risk is low and you can recoup your purchase price if need be.

Cyril
July 5th, 2021, 05:40 PM
All though I was a great pan of him during my younger age Nothing inspires me when it comes to master detective Sherlock Holmes and Conan Doyle, except the " song" Baker Street.
These pens looks like they have all gone out of creativity and their mont Blanc spirit. :noidea:

An old bloke
July 5th, 2021, 07:28 PM
The 'spy glass' pocket clip is a big turn off for me. It's like something you would find on a 9 or 10 year old's Sherlock Holmes toy pen.

guyy
July 5th, 2021, 08:38 PM
The 'spy glass' pocket clip is a big turn off for me. It's like something you would find on a 9 or 10 year old's Sherlock Holmes toy pen.

I agree. It’s also very predictable. The design manages to be both uninspired and over the top.

richmadeknives
September 11th, 2021, 11:42 AM
Wow I am surprised by the amount of negative comments about the Doyle writer's edition. I love mine and feel its a solid edition to the MB writer edition lineup. While I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago I stopped in both of the Montblanc boutiques on the strip because my son was looking for an Egyptomania ballpoint (which he did end up getting). I noted that both stores were sold out of all variations of the Doyle WE. The sales staff told me that they didn't get very many of them and they sold out immediately with all going to repeat customers who were on a waiting list. I am a big fan of the Writer's Editions and also the Great Characters editions. I will not purchase another standard production Montblanc pen as I find the mono-color all resin pens to be very boring and uninspiring. My goal is to collect every WE release since they started back in 1992 with the Hemingway. So far in the WE line-up I have the Mark Twain, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and the Doyle. In the GC line-up I have the John F Kennedy, James Dean, Walt Disney and Greta Garbo (technically not really a GC edition). I tend avoid the homage/composer editions as they have too much resin and not enough uniqueness...

https://i.ibb.co/n37JSMy/Montblanc-Doyle.jpg

penwash
September 11th, 2021, 11:54 AM

One could argue that Montblanc pens are toys.

They just carry a different level of price tag :D

penwash
September 11th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Wow I am surprised by the amount of negative comments about the Doyle writer's edition. I love mine and feel its a solid edition to the MB writer edition lineup. ...

Well, that's why I (and I'm sure others as well) appreciate your post, which provides a balancing view on the pen.

I for one am quite liking this particular WE. So it's nice to see another photo of it. Do a separate review if you so inclined.

richmadeknives
September 11th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Here is a photo of the current status of my Montblanc collection. As you can see I definitely prefer the limited / special editions. This is the result of only having starting collecting about 3 months ago. I am anticipating doubling the size of the collection over the next year or so... No safe queens here, all of my pens are inked and get used in rotation on a regular basis for taking notes during my many daily meetings. In case your interested, the Twain writes the best/wettest/widest. The JFK is the crispest writing, most consistent, and most comfortable. The Disney is the least comfortable to hold and write with. The Et Noir Serpent is an amazing writer with a great flexible nib and an amazing heavy feel because its an all metal body, including the cap (only the marble version is all-metal). The Doyle has a broad nib with a little bit of an angle cut so it lays down more of a square line; the cut is suited to a righty (which I am) but you have to pay attention to how you are holding it and your wrist angle to keep it writing smoothly or it may skip a little ...

From left to right are:

1. Mark Twain writers edition, fountain pen, broad nib.
2. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry writers edition, fountain pen, medium nib.
3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writers edition, fountain pen, broad nib.
4. John F. Kennedy great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
5. James Dean great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
6. Walt Disney great characters, fountain pen, medium nib.
7. Greta Garbo, ballpoint.
8. Johannes Brahms Conductors Donation Rollerball Pen.
9. Heritage Rouge Et Noir Serpent Marble Special Edition, fountain pen, medium nib.
10. Meisterstuck 163R, Rollerball

https://i.ibb.co/vwrK9r5/Montblanc-Lineup.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7rKQPv2/Montblanc-Lineup2.jpg

Nexus
September 11th, 2021, 01:07 PM
richmadeknives, don't forget to take a quick look at PW Akkerman's collection of new unused Montblanc's for sale. It will at least give you an idea of what some of these Writer's & Great Characters Editions look like.

https://akkermandenhaag.com/collections/akkermans-limited-edition-kluis?omnisendContactID=605bd9ac1215fa09e6410f68&utm_campaign=campaign%3A%2BNewsletter%2BAugust%2B( 6110f9072428860017316674)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

richmadeknives
September 11th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Don't forget to take a quick look at PW Akkerman's collection of new unused Montblanc's for sale. It will at least give you an idea of what some of these Writer's & Great Characters Editions look like.

https://akkermandenhaag.com/collections/akkermans-limited-edition-kluis?omnisendContactID=605bd9ac1215fa09e6410f68&utm_campaign=campaign%3A%2BNewsletter%2BAugust%2B( 6110f9072428860017316674)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

I have checked those out and been quite tempted, I wish it were a USA seller. A great reference for all the WE editions is this page but it hasn't been updated to the most recent few releases yet.

https://penstylo.blogspot.com/p/the-montblanc-patron-of-arts-collection.html

BoBo Olson
October 14th, 2021, 05:24 AM
Near a decade ago.
Well my wife told me my B&M was having a sale, did I want a pen?:crazy:
The three pens I looked at were 1/3 off.
The Pelikan pen of it's time, didn't quite do it. One of the Aurora Verdie's was fancy enough (there are many Verdies) ....it did have a semi-flex nib so the pen was like all of them a decade old. (near a decade ago) Will admit my wife's eyes were a bit tight with the price of that Verdie pen. (@ E-750 near the price of that Pelikan) But the nib had that well known toothyness of Aurora and for that kind of money it's toothy was over pencil, towards scratchy. (The Geha 725 semi-flex taken along as test pen....ate that Aurora for smoothness and balance.)

The Woolf had a new price E-750, sale price E 450....had I not used it, it sells for new price and more now...a decade later. Wasn't all that limited with 16,000 made. Could be why it took so long to get back to new price.
But the MB Virginia Woolf had drawn my eyes from 10 yards away. And was the cheapest.

I hadn't read the small print......our money..........so didn't buy a pen, a bottle of ink nor pack of paper for some 9 months.

Actually what I like most about my Virginia Woolf is the my eyes only nib bling.
Pictures with permission of pentime.
https://i.imgur.com/3zrdy3P.jpg
The clip is a mix between polished and matt.
https://i.imgur.com/SW4ZGox.jpg
It's 'chased to the max'. Even if it's not chased, the impression is there.
Not a pen to post.
It had in the shop a M that wrote to the B I wanted on cheap paper. At home with good paper the thing only wrote to a M:thank_you2:, not the Fat M or B that MB was reputed to write. So I had the nib changed to a B.......:blink: It's a Fat B =BB.
I'd guesstimate it to regular flex...in it's more than semi-nail.
https://i.imgur.com/YwbAN7v.jpg