PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Texas

ppengel
July 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'm a grad student in architecture, and have recently decided to start exploring FPs for
Sketching and writing alike. I just purchased my first pen and although it has not arrived yet I'm already itching to buy another!

I've been reading the forums to look for pens in specific colors, as well as to read reviews, but more importantly to learn about how pens work from those more familiar than I. I ordered a starter pen, that uses cartridges, but I bought a converter and I cannot wait to start using other colors and mixing inks. If you have any recommendations on FP care, or inks that are reliable as well as safe for FP I would love to hear!

thagbert
July 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
From another Texan, welcome to the fold!

earthdawn
July 25th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome :welcome:

Nice to have you join us.

Friendly bunch here so jump right in

KrazyIvan
July 25th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side.

tarheel1
July 26th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Welcome from central Texas.

caleath
July 26th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Welcome from another Texan

Jeph
July 26th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Welcome to the Texas Pen Network.

I am hooked on Diamine inks. Great colors and trouble free.

For cleaning, cool water is your friend. Don't throw your empty ink cartridges away. And, you could take one empty cartridge and drill out the back/top end to have a custom cleaning adapter for forcing water through the feed.

That is a start anyway.

Shopping for a second pen when the first one has yet to arrive is a sure sign of the beginning of the addiction. Assign yourself a budget and then enjoy the ride.

Robert
July 26th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hello from Houston. In what part of the state do you live?

TheGreatDane
July 26th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Welcome! From a homesick Texan. Currently residing in Georgia.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tracy Lee
July 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Welcome, no shortage of information here, that is for sure! Enjoy and good luck building your collection.:)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

cwent2
July 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM
:welcome: to the obsesio..... er hobby..

http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pen_101_s/1135.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeWDDbfQxKv0Cgq_UNpwYpA

These two links will provide hours of information - a good basic foundation.

Hope this is useful

Cw

ppengel
July 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM
College Station

ppengel
July 26th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the information everyone!

Greg Minuskin
July 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Welcome!

The folks here on the FP Greeks are really fun, and if there is something I can do for you, please let me know.

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

southpaw52
July 27th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Greetings and welcome fellow fp geek. You already have hit my FPAD, there is no cure just buy more pens.

fountainpenkid
July 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Welcome!

AtomicLeo
July 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
:welcome: Howdy from New Mexico! I would recommend a Platinum Preppy converted to an eye dropper as an ink tester pen. Goulet pens sells these for about $8. I use my to try out new inks and they are easy to clean.

caribbean_skye
July 30th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome welcome.

Woo hoo, yet another person in Texas here. I'm in central texas, not terribly far away from you.

Tony Rex
August 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Hiya ppengel! Welcome!

See you in the chatbox :)

Tony

PS: lots of pride involved in this 'hobby' so don't take things too personally.. Take it easy :-)

Jon Szanto
August 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Glad to have you join. I'm going to be especially welcoming as I've come here from 'the other thread' where it seemed like we - or maybe me - weren't all that welcoming. Which I mentioned there, but...

Oh, hell: Welcome! 4454

ppengel
August 5th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Glad to have you join. I'm going to be especially welcoming as I've come here from 'the other thread' where it seemed like we - or maybe me - weren't all that welcoming. Which I mentioned there, but...

Oh, hell: Welcome! 4454

Thank you! I did see that you had posted previously that you didnt mean anything by it. As I told another member, maybe I'm being too sensitive, likely because I'm working on my masters in architecture. Meaning I don't sleep. But no harm done, and thank you.