PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Kullock Texas Overlay on MB 149

Bisquitlips
May 9th, 2021, 08:39 PM
I just received this yesterday as a special order from Mr. Kullock. Being born and reared in Texas, this one is special to me. Also, I proposed to my lovely wife at the Alamo under a huge live oak tree and so this work incorporates just about everything that is dear to me about the Holy Land... Texas.

This pen is extremely well done and being hand engraved and etched makes it that much more splendid. Mr. Kullock does superb work and I will be ordering two more with our pen club putting in orders for at least 4. It has a Broad Stub nib.

I find it delightful to purchase an engaging work of art that also feeds a parallel passion that is personally meaningful.

Photo credits: These are Ariel's photos. But my pen is every bit as lovely!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969291933_c66f392c91_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969292103_ba25e69f8f_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50970099197_5998ab0cfc_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50970099112_e5ec4ab5e7_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969991901_3a369ee085_c.jpg

Jon Szanto
May 9th, 2021, 09:49 PM
A remarkable piece of artwork, with a deeply personal meaning behind it. Don't forget, not all can *afford* these kind of projects, as well, so your good fortune also shows in that regard. I've seen his pieces both in person and in photos and it is always stunning, and I've met him at the LA pen show. As nice a person as his artistry is strong. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

ethernautrix
May 10th, 2021, 04:52 AM
Wow, Ariel's work is AMAZING!

What a special pen! Thanks for sharing!

jar
May 10th, 2021, 05:02 AM
Looking good.

Why Texas and what pen club?

kazoolaw
May 10th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Guess rumors of his retirement were greatly exaggerated!
That 149 is truly a trophy pen. Do you have an estimate of the weight of the overlay?
Thanks for sharing with very nice photos.

Bisquitlips
May 10th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Guess rumors of his retirement were greatly exaggerated!
That 149 is truly a trophy pen. Do you have an estimate of the weight of the overlay?
Thanks for sharing with very nice photos.

I estimate about 1/3 ounce.

Bisquitlips
May 10th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Looking good.

Why Texas and what pen club?

Born and grew up in Texas Jim.

We have a private group of friends and coworkers who love all things pens.

Shane Cavitt
May 10th, 2021, 07:27 PM
I generally lean toward the plain, simple and understated when it comes to my pens. However, that is simply beautifully done. Being a fellow Texan I find the subject and rendition compelling as well. Congrats on a beautiful pen!

Bisquitlips
May 10th, 2021, 11:13 PM
I generally lean toward the plain, simple and understated when it comes to my pens. However, that is simply beautifully done. Being a fellow Texan I find the subject and rendition compelling as well. Congrats on a beautiful pen!

Yes, this is one of those purchases that are not decided on every day. Perhaps every 10 years or so. But that is just my lesser opinion.

I could have acquired 10 nice FPs for the same money, but this is truly an art.

Sometimes in life, you need to buy a "work", not just an object.

Bisquitlips
May 11th, 2021, 12:01 AM
A remarkable piece of artwork, with a deeply personal meaning behind it. Don't forget, not all can *afford* these kind of projects, as well, so your good fortune also shows in that regard. I've seen his pieces both in person and in photos and it is always stunning, and I've met him at the LA pen show. As nice a person as his artistry is strong. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Jon,

I know about the affordability. But we have worked hard for decades and so splurging occasionally is totally OK for us. Whether it is a trip to overseas or a nice FP or some other passion. To us, money is not just to be saved, but used to acquire memories.

I proposed to my wife at the Alamo. Sitting together on the southwest lawn under this huge live oak tree that I can still take her to, I will never forget her expression or her response. When I received the pen yesterday, I handed it to her and she took a look at it and her voice cracked a little when she spoke. She saw the live oak that I had Mr. Kullock engrave on his engraving/cut of the Alamo and that seemed to be enough. Mission accomplished!

I remember the day I proposed I told her prior to visiting the Alamo that morning.... "Today, another man will fall at the Alamo"! She didn't understand at that moment and questioned me all the way there. "Is there a reenactment battle going on? Is there some kind of fair"? Of course, she did understand afterward.

And today, I am still a fallen man...

penwash
May 11th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Now that's one special fountain pen that pushes the bar way up!

I am glad that you had the insight to commission Mr. Kullock to produce this.

I'm curious with the process of how those icons ended up as ornaments on the pen.
Did you send photos of Texas landmarks?
Or did you send him a narrative and he did the rest?
Or some other ways? :)

Amazing either way!

Bisquitlips
May 14th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Now that's one special fountain pen that pushes the bar way up!

I am glad that you had the insight to commission Mr. Kullock to produce this.

I'm curious with the process of how those icons ended up as ornaments on the pen.
Did you send photos of Texas landmarks?
Or did you send him a narrative and he did the rest?
Or some other ways? :)

Amazing either way!

Ariel can create anything you would want in pen overlays. He is intelligent and inventive.

When I commissioned this work, I chatted with Michelle and we went from there. She conveyed any changes to his standard design and we were off. I indicated my history in Texas, my rearing, education, (UT Texas), the proposal to my lovely wife at the Alamo, and so on.

And Texas itself is not lacking when it comes to inspiration. Long Horns, the Texas flag, Dallas skyline, the UT clock tower, and other iconic symbols unique to the "Holy Land". Ariel added the spirit to the pen. Even the colors and the natural stones in the Texas map representation are native. There is a lot going on for sure.

Also, the pen was supposed to take 2 weeks to create and get to me. It took almost 8. Not really a problem as Michelle was very good at communicating.

whichwatch
May 15th, 2021, 07:27 AM
What a fantastic work of art with a great back story! Congratulations on this wonderful keepsake.

Sandy
May 15th, 2021, 12:21 PM
OK, idiot question. Who is Ariel Kullock?

jar
May 15th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Gentleman who first made a splash creating fantasy Parker "51" bodies and Sheaffer bodies.

Sandy
May 15th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Thank you. Now, I'm less of an idiot.

Bisquitlips
May 15th, 2021, 08:51 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ariel.kullock.3

This will give a bit more info.

Bisquitlips
June 8th, 2021, 03:07 PM
Thank you. Now, I'm less of an idiot.

No sir. You are definitely not an idiot! Idiots are the ones that won't ask any questions!

An old bloke
June 8th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Lovely art that!

Frank
August 14th, 2021, 04:51 PM
Absolutely Stunning!
Ariel bought several MB 149 Pens at the John Hall Estate Auction at the Triangle Pen Show (Raleigh)...
You might enjoy knowing this was (possibly) one of John's personal pens!

Frank

Chuck Naill
August 15th, 2021, 06:18 AM

Thanks, Jon,

I know about the affordability. But we have worked hard for decades and so splurging occasionally is totally OK for us. Whether it is a trip to overseas or a nice FP or some other passion. To us, money is not just to be saved, but used to acquire memories.

I proposed to my wife at the Alamo. Sitting together on the southwest lawn under this huge live oak tree that I can still take her to, I will never forget her expression or her response. When I received the pen yesterday, I handed it to her and she took a look at it and her voice cracked a little when she spoke. She saw the live oak that I had Mr. Kullock engrave on his engraving/cut of the Alamo and that seemed to be enough. Mission accomplished!

I remember the day I proposed I told her prior to visiting the Alamo that morning.... "Today, another man will fall at the Alamo"! She didn't understand at that moment and questioned me all the way there. "Is there a reenactment battle going on? Is there some kind of fair"? Of course, she did understand afterward.

And today, I am still a fallen man...

Good for you and I suspect that luck was also involved. Many folks work had for decades, make little and barely survive.

We are finally discovering the true story of the Alamo, but for you it was a special day. Beautiful pen and enjoy.

Cyril
September 10th, 2021, 08:28 AM
I just received this yesterday as a special order from Mr. Kullock. Being born and reared in Texas, this one is special to me. Also, I proposed to my lovely wife at the Alamo under a huge live oak tree and so this work incorporates just about everything that is dear to me about the Holy Land... Texas.

This pen is extremely well done and being hand engraved and etched makes it that much more splendid. Mr. Kullock does superb work and I will be ordering two more with our pen club putting in orders for at least 4. It has a Broad Stub nib.

I find it delightful to purchase an engaging work of art that also feeds a parallel passion that is personally meaningful.

Photo credits: These are Ariel's photos. But my pen is every bit as lovely!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969291933_c66f392c91_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969292103_ba25e69f8f_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50970099197_5998ab0cfc_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50970099112_e5ec4ab5e7_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50969991901_3a369ee085_c.jpg

Frank[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely a great piece of art. I really appreciate what "Mont Blanc" could do to offer with customised options even by creating your own design. I never knew this is possible with Mont Blanc .
It is amazing to have this "grail' pen opportunities for those who can afford and congrats!!!! on this beautiful pen !!!

I was wondering about knowing to the questing question!!

Bisquitlips
September 23rd, 2021, 09:47 PM
Frank

This is absolutely a great piece of art. I really appreciate what "Mont Blanc" could do to offer with customised options even by creating your own design. I never knew this is possible with Mont Blanc .
It is amazing to have this "grail' pen opportunities for those who can afford and congrats!!!! on this beautiful pen !!!

I was wondering about knowing to the questing question!![/QUOTE]

Thank you sir!

soretailedcat
September 24th, 2021, 01:51 AM
Ariel Kullock is an Argentine silversmith & artist who created the pen for the poster. He has made many Parker 51 caps with intricate silver overlays besides making custom replacement barrels & sections for Parker 51s, which he refers to as "Fantasy" editions.

I have purchased several of his replacement Fantasy parts for 51s because I preferred the colors he had available. He also has offered replacement jewels for same that complement the caps because they are also unique & not merely replacement jewels for original Parker jewels offered.

Bisquitlips
November 1st, 2021, 09:54 PM
Ariel Kullock is an Argentine silversmith & artist who created the pen for the poster. He has made many Parker 51 caps with intricate silver overlays besides making custom replacement barrels & sections for Parker 51s, which he refers to as "Fantasy" editions.

I have purchased several of his replacement Fantasy parts for 51s because I preferred the colors he had available. He also has offered replacement jewels for same that complement the caps because they are also unique & not merely replacement jewels for original Parker jewels offered.

I would really enjoy seeing the pieces you purchased from Kullock. Those 51 caps are stunning! Can you post a few photos of yous if convenient?

Thank you!

Detman101
November 2nd, 2021, 08:45 AM
That is the most amazing mod to a Montblanc that I have ever seen.
Absolutely amazing!!!
:jaw:

pajaro
November 2nd, 2021, 10:33 PM
And I thought that Ariel Kullock had retired. What a Meisterstuck!