PDA

View Full Version : Hi from West Texas

DrDoomsday
May 26th, 2021, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone.
Excited to join you all here. I am quickly finding that my addiction with FPs is insatiable, and I think I’m ok with that!
I tend to write on the smaller side and have gravitate towards F and EF nibs. I’d be excited to learn what some of your favorite waterproof inks are for doing that.

Chrissy
May 27th, 2021, 04:33 AM
Hello and welcome. :)

jar
May 27th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. How west west Texas?

Wile E Coyote
May 27th, 2021, 06:01 AM
Hi everyone.
Excited to join you all here. I am quickly finding that my addiction with FPs is insatiable, and I think I’m ok with that!
I tend to write on the smaller side and have gravitate towards F and EF nibs. I’d be excited to learn what some of your favorite waterproof inks are for doing that.

:welcome:

For waterproof and resistance to bleeding when wet, a classic iron gall is my goto. ESS or Diamine Registrar's ink. I haven't found a perfect iron gall in all respects, but for waterproof properties, these fit the bill.

Yazeh
May 27th, 2021, 06:21 AM
I use a series of bulletproof/pigment and IG inks.
If your pen has little evaporation then you can use almost anything.
I've been using Polar Green with a kawecoEF and Polar Black with a Perkeo fine... with no problem....

jbb
May 27th, 2021, 06:27 AM
Welcome!

mizgeorge
May 27th, 2021, 07:20 AM
Hello and welcome :)

whorne
May 27th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Hello and welcome to a wonderful group of folks here!

Igraine
May 27th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Hello and welcome! I love Platinum Blue Black, it’s a lighter version of blue black, iron gall, and seems to be waterproof, and performs well in finer nibs

DrDoomsday
May 27th, 2021, 11:17 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. How west west Texas?

Dust storms and tumbleweeds west…Up on the high plains.

DrDoomsday
May 27th, 2021, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I’ve been…timid.. at trying iron gall because I’ve heard there can be some corrosive issues. Do you have to clean more frequently to combat these, are there signs to watch for, or is that not a big deal?

Malcolm
May 28th, 2021, 02:10 AM

guyy
May 28th, 2021, 05:09 AM
The dangers of iron gall inks are much exaggerated. People hesitate to put them in vintage pens when vintage pens were designed around iron gall inks (because iron gall inks were standard, everyday inks when those pens were made).

That said, the iron precipitate can clog narrow channels of feeds if you let the ink dry in a pen. It can also corrode steel nibs and other metal parts. Gold nibs will be unaffected.

Wile E Coyote
May 28th, 2021, 06:36 AM
I’ve been…timid.. at trying iron gall because I’ve heard there can be some corrosive issues. Do you have to clean more frequently to combat these, are there signs to watch for, or is that not a big deal?

I have been using IG inks for years with both gold and SS nibs and have never had problems with corrosion. I think most problems with IG inks are from using home made IG inks, putting IG ink in a pen that has residue of an incompatible ink, or leaving in an unused pen for extended periods. But the problems aren't really corrosion related, they are mostly clogging due to user error.

Igraine
May 28th, 2021, 09:58 AM

I haven’t had any problems with the two iron gall inks I’ve used, one that has been in a gold nib pen for months.

When I think of west Tx, I think of the Jasper area. Muggy, humid. More like the Deep South.

Wahl
May 28th, 2021, 12:04 PM

KrazyIvan
May 29th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Welcome, also from far West Texas.

Podiumlaser
June 3rd, 2021, 09:30 AM
Welcome man, enjoy the forum.

Bisquitlips
June 5th, 2021, 02:21 AM
:welcome: From Missouri. Native Texan transplanted.

Glad to have you with us!

Susan314109
June 5th, 2021, 05:58 AM
Welcome from Abilene. Your dust coats our windows here.

AlohaPens
June 21st, 2021, 11:17 PM
I think the appropriate welcome is "Howdy". ;)

guyy
June 22nd, 2021, 07:37 PM
Spent a couple years in Huntsville…

in 4th & 5th grade.

At any rate, welcome.

Gthry1
February 17th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Welcome!