PDA

View Full Version : single ink users? go-to ink?

manoeuver
January 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Anybody have an ink they use almost to the exclusion of all others? I've used Private Reserve Ebony Green for 2 years, rarely inking a pen with anything else. It helps identify me as the writer, and also keeps me from fiddling endlessly fiddling with my pens (I know, I know, that's the appeal...)

whaddya think?

John the Monkey
January 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Not quite, although all my work stuff uses Rotring Brillant Ultramarine - I've two bottles of that, and leave one at work with my Hero 616 :)

eriquito
January 14th, 2012, 10:16 PM
My dream is to find the one ink that is always appealing, always satisfying, always my favorite. Cleaning pens is definitely not part of the appeal for me. I'd also like to use the one ink that anyone/everyone would see on paper and exclaim, "Eric wrote that!"

Alas, the hunt has occupied me long. The bottled fruits of my many labors adorn the cubbyholes to my left, peering out and winking at me whenever I'm spied with an empty pen in hand...

Weep for me not my brothers, I've ink enough for us all. Hoorah!!

Eric
Son of Ragnar

bomgd3
January 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I use Aurora Blue almost exclusively and love it. I occasionally buy a bottle of J. Herbin but mostly stick to my usual.

eriquito
January 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I love both Aurora Blue and Aurora Black. Very, very nice inks. In fact, I'd call Aurora Black the only black I use.

dannzeman
January 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I mostly use Visconti Turquoise. If I could only use one ink it would probably be that. But, I really like reds and purples and greens. And oranges. Bananas are good too. Wait...:confused:

Tracy Lee
January 21st, 2012, 06:07 AM
:) I bought the Visconti turquoise recently too and was surprised how much I liked it. I am not big on lots of colors of ink for some reason - I use a lot of blue black and copper types of colors but the turquoise has made it into two pens. Then, I decided to try the Visconti Hunter Green ( my go to color for other things in life) and I am really enjoying it, too. So maybe I didn't have the right brands and colors. I will continue to try and branch out. ;)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

eriquito
January 22nd, 2012, 12:33 AM
If I had to choose only one ink to last me for the rest of ever, it would be Visconti Sepia. No wait, Waterman South Sea Blue. Uhh, no, Waterman Florida Blue. Oh, maybe iroshizuku tsuki-yo?

I'll keep trying.

DET
January 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
I doubt I'll ever be a one-ink guy, but Aurora, with its lone two inks, might just make the single best blue and the single best black. I use and love both. (That said, I do use other blues and blacks -- and other colors -- too.)

jor412
January 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
For anyone using only one or two inks, how does the ink perform in different pens? Are there noticeable differences? And does it matter? I'm quite curious about the use of only one or two inks. Right now, I have several colors which I hope to eventually narrow down.

eriquito
January 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
For anyone using only one or two inks, how does the ink perform in different pens? Are there noticeable differences?

I choose my inks based solely on the color it leaves on the paper after it dries. I've never noticed any performance difference between inks or even between the same ink in different pens. There may be scientific tests for viscosity that could prove differences, but I don't want to make my fountain pen experience too scientific. I prefer thinking of it as art.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

jor412
January 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I choose my inks based solely on the color it leaves on the paper after it dries. I've never noticed any performance difference between inks or even between the same ink in different pens. There may be scientific tests for viscosity that could prove differences, but I don't want to make my fountain pen experience too scientific. I prefer thinking of it as art.

=) Eric
Son of Ragnar

I do the same. The color after the ink dries is what I enjoy. About the science side of things: I'm not interested either though when someone talks about it, sure, I'll read it. I did notice that a green ink I mixed looked darker in a vintage Sheaffer Craftsman than in a Kaweco Sport, both with similar nib width.

eriquito
January 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM
The color after the ink dries is what I enjoy.

Same here! So much so that I'll often study the ink lines with a loupe. Getting up close and personal adds to my enjoyment of the ink. Go figure.

=) Eric

jor412
January 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Same here! So much so that I'll often study the ink lines with a loupe. Getting up close and personal adds to my enjoyment of the ink. Go figure.

=) Eric

Oh I should try that :) especially since my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.